User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 6 Nov 2005, 23:54   #1
Blastoderm
________

Blastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Blink 182 - Greatest Hits

After a week listening to this, I can actually say their older* work* is much better than their new** work**.

Apparently they matured. I liked them when they were 'immature'.

*Pre-Blink 182 self-titled ablum
**Blink 182 self-titled album
finding strength to call and ask her
Roller coaster favorite ride,
let me kiss you one last time.
Blastoderm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Nov 2005, 23:59   #2
jerome

jerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so little
Re: Blink 182 - Greatest Hits

blink 182 is pretty generic overall but some of their songs(EVEN NEW ONES!) are certainly guilty pleasures i'd admit to.
jerome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Nov 2005, 00:36   #3
All Systems Go

All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

It depends what you mean.

the last Blink album was more of a Boxcar Racer-type.

the drumming was of the highest quality as you would expect, although the lyrics were typically child-like.

Are there any new songs on the greatest hits?
The 20th century has been characterised by three developments of great political importance. The growth of democracy; the growth of corporate power; and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.
All Systems Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Nov 2005, 02:24   #4
pig
1up on you

pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

aggreed, there old stuff is alot better.
Unread 7 Nov 2005, 02:31   #5
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Their new album was an attempt to be slightly more "serious" which might have missed the point of their appeal slightly. But overall it was just that the songs weren't as good. The best Blink songs are (generally) horribly catchy, quite fast, simplistic and at times amusing (I suppose this is true of many 'pop punk' acts). The new album lacked songs like that.

This is not to say that their new album was completely without merit - 'I Miss You' is actually a very good song, 'Feeling This' was OK (although got a bit tiring over repeated listenings) and Violence / Obvious/ All of This weren't too bad. But the rest of album left me relatively cold (compare that to Enema where almost any song could have been a single).

I don't necessarily think it's a maturity issue as such - or even one regarding the subject matter - 'Adam's Song' or 'Stay Together For The Kids' are both quite serious / melancholy yet they're both still brilliant songs. But it's just like they forgot how to be catchy and started trying to make their music unnecessarily complicated or something. As a result their album plays a little like an R.E.M. / U2 album (slowish, bland, with very little desire to sing-a-long).

I'm not sure how their self-titled album performed critically/commercially (I don't really pay attention to such matters) but I wouldn't be surprised if it would have been better received if the same album had been released by another band. Most people's reaction to Blink material seems to be somewhat swayed by the fact they are seen as a 'kids band'. As such their material is treated with undue harshness (imho). Indeed, I was surprised that this thread hadn't already been polluted by "lol Blink sucks lol" type shit. Although it's still early I suppose.

But thanks for alerting me to this release - Blink 182 are one of my favourite bands and this had so far slipped me by.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Nov 2005, 02:45   #6
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Systems Go
Are there any new songs on the greatest hits?
Tracklisting :
Code:
01.Carousel                                      [03:12]
02.M&m's                                         [02:36]
03.Dammit                                        [02:46]
04.Josie                                         [03:06]
05.What's My Age Again                           [02:30]
06.All the Small Things                          [02:51]
07.Adam's Song                                   [04:07]
08.Man Overboard (Live)                          [02:47]
09.Rock Show                                     [02:51]
10.First Date                                    [02:51]
11.Stay Together for the Kids                    [03:53]
12.Feelin' this                                  [02:54]
13.Miss You                                      [03:48]
14.Down                                          [03:13]
15.Always                                        [04:18]
16.Not Now                                       [04:24]
17.Another Girl Another Planet                   [02:41]
'Not Now' was on the Import version of Blink 182 but I don't think 'Another Girl Another Planet' (which is a cover) has been released previously by Blink.
Unread 7 Nov 2005, 02:53   #7
pig
1up on you

pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

god that album has some great songs on it, i think i might actually buy it (seeing as i cant dl anything at uni :/)
Unread 7 Nov 2005, 20:39   #8
Blastoderm
________

Blastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
Tracklisting :
Code:
01.Carousel                                      [03:12]
02.M&m's                                         [02:36]
03.Dammit                                        [02:46]
04.Josie                                         [03:06]
05.What's My Age Again                           [02:30]
06.All the Small Things                          [02:51]
07.Adam's Song                                   [04:07]
08.Man Overboard (Live)                          [02:47]
09.Rock Show                                     [02:51]
10.First Date                                    [02:51]
11.Stay Together for the Kids                    [03:53]
12.Feelin' this                                  [02:54]
13.Miss You                                      [03:48]
14.Down                                          [03:13]
15.Always                                        [04:18]
16.Not Now                                       [04:24]
17.Another Girl Another Planet                   [02:41]
'Not Now' was on the Import version of Blink 182 but I don't think 'Another Girl Another Planet' (which is a cover) has been released previously by Blink.
You missed out "I won't be home for Christmas" and "Go (BBC Radio 1 Live session)"... well that's in the limited edition cd that I bought on the first day.

But they received a lot of good credit for their self-titled album. Funnily enough, even the ones* who never liked Blink 182 or "rock" in general liked their new material especially "I Miss You". I only used the word 'matured' because that's what a lot of critics are using nowadays for bands** who's music has slightly changed.

Still, Take off your Pants and Jacket is the best thing they've released. It's a bit like, how you say it, where almost any song in the album could have been a single.

*people who are mainly into mainstream pop, rnb, hip hop, rap, etc.
**bands such as Oasis..... there are more but I can't think of any at the moment.
Unread 7 Nov 2005, 21:31   #9
isildurx

isildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond repute

Gonna download this now, many great tracks.

And "All the small things" is easily one of the funnies vids ever
Unread 7 Nov 2005, 21:33   #10
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastoderm
You missed out "I won't be home for Christmas" and "Go (BBC Radio 1 Live session)"... well that's in the limited edition cd that I bought on the first day.
I'm going from the .NFO file which came with the copy I downloaded.
Unread 7 Nov 2005, 21:48   #11
Blastoderm
________

Your copy might be the not-so-limited edition I suppose (which they also sell).

*shrug*
Unread 7 Nov 2005, 23:41   #12
Knight Theamion
Miles Teg

Knight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

I wasn't even aware Blink 182 had great hits. I feel misinformed.
Unread 7 Nov 2005, 23:42   #13
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Theamion
I wasn't even aware Blink 182 had great hits. I feel misinformed.
I was hoping it was a parody of that "everything men know about women" book.
Unread 8 Nov 2005, 12:30   #14
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Exclamation Re: Blink 182 - Greatest Hits

The lead singer reminds me of skiddy for some reason.
Marilyn Manson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Nov 2005, 22:18   #15
Blastoderm
________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marilyn Manson
The lead singer reminds me of skiddy for some reason.
Who Mark or Tom?
Unread 8 Nov 2005, 23:50   #16
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Theamion
I wasn't even aware Blink 182 had great hits.
:eng101: greater and greatest are comparative values.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Nov 2005, 13:07   #17
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Who Mark or Tom?
Dude, there can surely, by definition, only be one lead singer.

Last edited by Marilyn Manson; 9 Nov 2005 at 15:50.
Unread 10 Nov 2005, 00:59   #18
Blastoderm
________

The problem is, they don't have a lead singer. One song is sang by Tom, the next by Mark.

Now who does skiddy reminds you of?
Unread 10 Nov 2005, 13:11   #19
Alki
Drink is Good

Alki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better place

hmmm, looks very good, saw some reviews on it before giving it a pretty decent rating.

/me pulls out the pennies from the piggybank
Unread 10 Nov 2005, 13:14   #20
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Quote:
Now who does skiddy reminds you of?
The one who looks vaguely seedy and as he has a hidden life of Neo Nazi paramilitarism and rape just beneath the surface veneer of a Geordie alcoholic.

The one who looks like skiddy, basically.
Unread 10 Nov 2005, 14:49   #21
Blastoderm
________

Quote:
The one who looks vaguely seedy and as he has a hidden life of Neo Nazi paramilitarism and rape just beneath the surface veneer of a Geordie alcoholic.
*sigh*

I should double read my posts next time.

I'll just assume it's Mark then..
Unread 10 Nov 2005, 15:01   #22
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

just out of interest am i the only person on the whole internet who thinks blink 182 are woeful?
How the Beaujolais is raining
Down on darkened meetings on the Champs Élysées
Phang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Nov 2005, 15:02   #23
SilverSmoke
Guy next door

SilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so little

I don't think they're awful but they do nothing to me.
Unread 10 Nov 2005, 15:07   #24
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phang
just out of interest am i the only person on the whole internet who thinks blink 182 are woeful?
I'd imagine most people do. I've been insulted various times on this forum for liking them. I think MM once said because I liked Blink 182 I was as bad as Nodrog or something similar.

They're not a very fashionable / "cool" band to like, in other words.
Unread 10 Nov 2005, 15:07   #25
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
well, they certainly are for the under-16s...
Unread 10 Nov 2005, 15:08   #26
Blastoderm
________

Quote:
What like Good Charlotte?
Unread 10 Nov 2005, 15:09   #27
eJohn
Tiny Dancer

eJohn is a splendid one to beholdeJohn is a splendid one to beholdeJohn is a splendid one to beholdeJohn is a splendid one to beholdeJohn is a splendid one to beholdeJohn is a splendid one to beholdeJohn is a splendid one to behold

Of course no one should be embarrassed by what music they personally listen to, but theres about as much shame in liking Blink 182 as there is in liking Sum 41 or McFly
[16:09] <eJohn> im still standing
eJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Nov 2005, 15:09   #28
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Quote:
What like Good Charlotte?
EXACTLY like good charlotte.
Unread 10 Nov 2005, 15:11   #29
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
I'm not really sure what that means. Is there some sort of classification system?
Unread 10 Nov 2005, 15:13   #30
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by eJohn
Of course no one should be embarrassed by what music they personally listen to, but theres about as much shame in liking Blink 182 as there is in liking Sum 41 or McFly
I quite like some Sum 41 stuff. McFly aren't very good, but if I liked them I certainly wouldn't feel ashamed. Why would I? I'm pretty sure my level of brilliance is unaffected by what tunes I happen to like.
Unread 10 Nov 2005, 15:17   #31
eJohn
Tiny Dancer

eJohn is a splendid one to beholdeJohn is a splendid one to beholdeJohn is a splendid one to beholdeJohn is a splendid one to beholdeJohn is a splendid one to beholdeJohn is a splendid one to beholdeJohn is a splendid one to behold

Im not saying it is, but Blink 182, McFly, and Sum 41 are all very similar. I was pretty much only making the point that if we're going to agree to some sort of situation where image means nothing and no one should be chastised for their tastes, then there are still some hypocracies to be ironed out.

I personally think McFly sometimes sound very much like the Beach boys. But people revolt against this idea.
[16:09] <eJohn> im still standing
eJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Nov 2005, 15:51   #32
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Quote:
But of course, you don't 'like' them to look good in respectable company. You 'like' them so that you can have something to talk about when you go on the pull at the strictly 14-16 year old (But you fiddle the bouncer's housing benefit so he let's you in) alternative disco.
Unread 10 Nov 2005, 22:23   #33
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
But of course, you don't 'like' them to look good in respectable company. You 'like' them so that you can have something to talk about when you go on the pull at the strictly 14-16 year old (But you fiddle the bouncer's housing benefit so he let's you in) alternative disco.
What are you, my biographer?

In actuality, younger people are exactly the ones who have (from my experience) the attitude I described earlier ("lol blink - they suck - they're not real punk!" or whatever). The majority of 16-18 year old's I've met in rock clubs have been utterly disdainful of Blink. Slightly older people (19-25 sort of range) tend to have stopped caring about what looks cool (in any company) - that's where most of fans of Blink seem to fit.

This trend continues until you're 70-80 and don't really mind that everyone notices that you've pissed yourself in public.
Unread 10 Nov 2005, 22:42   #34
roadrunner_0
cynic

roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

i have a couple of blink albums somewhere, i may have to *ahem* aquire this new one
Unread 10 Nov 2005, 23:32   #35
skiddy
wild one

skiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so little

Hi.

I'm Mark.
skiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Nov 2005, 00:58   #36
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Quote:
Originally Posted by eJohn
I personally think McFly sometimes sound very much like the Beach boys. But people revolt against this idea.
Surf guitar at the beginning of the first single does not a similarity make.
At no point in his life would Brian Wilson have made music quite as horrible to listen to as McFly.

ps Dante what i meant was that when you say they're not a cool band to like, you're wrong. blink-182 have far more fans than NOFX, say, or Bad Religion, or a whole realm of non-hopeless bands.

People might go out of their way to give you grief because they have good taste (objective standards here guys) and as suck wrinkle their noses at the likes of blink.
Unread 11 Nov 2005, 01:02   #37
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
ps Dante what i meant was that when you say they're not a cool band to like, you're wrong. blink-182 have far more fans than NOFX, say, or Bad Religion, or a whole realm of non-hopeless bands.
Popularity != Coolness dude. I should have thought that would be obvious. Similarly it's a lot cooler to say your favourite author is James Joyce yet Barbara Cartland has sold a **** load more books.