User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Unread 15 May 2005, 09:35   #1
Androme
☆ ♥ 

Androme can only hope to improve
Next Gen Consoles

Well it's inevitable that a thread of this nature will be devised so I might as well bring it up for anyone who's interested.

So many people I've noticed are all about the X-Box 360 and quite a lot of people are forgetting what PS3 is going to be powered by... the processor is entitled the "Cell" and believe it or not, its power exceeds the capabilities of the X-Box 360.

According to so many sources, 8 Cell processors together is sufficient enough to be enlisted in the top 500 supercomputers list. It's being worked on by Sony, IBM and Toshiba so that's a hell of a lot of knowledge behind the making of this vastly superior chip. It's quite likely to be extended to PC's in the not too distant future too because it 'can' withstand extreme workloads and is also able to handle all kinds of digital entertainment media but for the mean time, I'm sure it'll stay exclusive to the PS3 as it has been designed primarily for.

I've covered a bit in Computing but the teacher only went as far as drawing a diagram of the structure of the chip and comparing it to a typical CPU layout with the ALU, etc. The Cell has a core and 8 SPU's surrounding it, each housing iirc. 4/5 FPU's. (Floating Point Units and Synergistic Processor Units). In basic, he said it was like several mini-processors all-in-one which makes for a far more efficient and in this case, more powerful chip. X-Box 360 will be good but the PS3 will be better imo.

I wouldn't recommend Nintendo out completely - they're switching to DVD's now and it will be backwards compatible to also allow the playing of Gamecube games. It's going to be just over the thickness of 2 DVD cases and just over the length of one according to Nintendo (iirc.). Now that's going to be bloody small (think slimline PS2 but smaller I think). Simply saying, Nintendo are 'slowly' moving towards expanding outside of the Japanese market and slowly appealing towards the Western audience. The Revolution will be out-of-the-box wireless internet capable and the proposed feature like X-Box LIVE which never came out on the Gamecube (only was in Japan or tested there iirc.?) is now more than likely to go ahead.
R3: LegioN (came #32) || R4: BlueTuba
R5: WolfPack Order || R6: Wolfpack
R7: Fury
----------retired-------
R52-R55: Apprime
R56-R57: FaceLess
R58-60: Apprime/Ultores
Androme is offline   Reply With Quote