User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 29 Jan 2007, 16:27   #1
midge5
mmm lambs

midge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better place
6 Nations (Discussion and fantasy league)

Not sure how many people will be interested but I made a league anyway as it killed 15 minutes at work.

http://scrum.fantasyleague.com
League PIN: 1862

You get unlimited transfers till Saturday so can easily change your players if anymore get crippled.

On to the tournament though.

I actually have no idea who will win.

The only thing I feel fairly certain on is that Italy should get the wooden spoon and end up pointless.

Quite a few countries have shitloads of injuries which makes it harder to decide who will win (I obviously hear more about us and I know Wales list is getting a tad ridiculous now).

A couple of selections could make a big difference through this tournament though. I think England will be completely mad to bring back Wilkinson already and while number 10 has been quite a problem position for them it would be suicidal. Then if Jenkins picks Henson as full back I will be really pissed off. The man is in poor form in his best position, let alone playing him somewhere he is totally unfamiliar. I would much rather leave Gareth Thomas there (who I think has been extremely good in that position for us and is way too slow to be moved to the wing, assuming he doesn't get banned anyway) and see Dafydd James recalled as a winger.

France

A good chance of winning the grand slam. I think they will win in Ireland, though the game at Twickenham will be close. If England have had a good start to the tournament and don't suffer any more injuries then I think they have a good chance of beating the French. If not then the French will complete the grand slam at home to Scotland.

Probably 10 points, Championship winners.

England
Anyway, overall I think England could actually do quite well. I know they were abysmal under Robinson but I don't think their team is *that* bad on paper. If they can get past Scotland on Saturday then they have an easyish game against Italy before travelling to Ireland. The odds are against them but if they do manage to win their first two games I think they will put up a good fight but being the first game between these two at Croke Park I think the Irish should eventually win. I said above what i think of their chances of beating France and then they finish with a trip to the Millennium Stadium and as much as I hate to say it I think they will probably beat us.

6 points

Wales

Despite most of our backling being crippled I think our forwards are slowly getting a lot better than they used to be while of those left quite a few players are now coming into form. Especially Peel/Jones/Hook who will probably have to be the core of our backs. I think how our tournament goes will mainly be decided by the game against Ireland on Sunday. It will be a close game and if we manage to win then I think we could do quite well this year, if not it will probably end up even worse than last season (lose to everyone except Italy). If we win this I fancy us to beat the Scottish. We then play France and despite the fact that in the last 6 years the away team has won 5 times, I can only see France winning this. They were poor against the All Blacks but still can't see how we can win. After this I fancy us to win in Scotland (if we beat Ireland). We should then beat Italy but will probably lose at home to England though it will probably be a pretty messy game, similar to the 11-9 in 2005.

So 6 points, mid table, I'm happy as better than last year. Potentially the triple crown.

Ireland

Will (hopefully) start with a defeat against Wales which will be followed with a loss against the french, though both games I think will be quite close and could go either way really (watch Ireland humiliate us again now that I said this ) After that though I think things should get better. At home to England they have to be favourites and then they will close up with wins against Scotland and Italy.

6 points, maybe triple crown.

Scotland

They did better than expected last year and have a few good players but I don't think they have enough quality players and after poor Autumn internationals will struggle to do that well this year. They will beat Italy and will have a decent chance of beating Wales, especially if we have lost to Ireland which I think would destroy confidence. Despite this I don't think they much chance of winning at Twickenham this weekend and Ireland should have enough quality to win at Murreyfield.

2 points

In the end though either Ireland or England could beat France and we could be left with a three way tie for first on 8 points.

Sorry if this is a bit haphazard as it took me ages to write during the periods when I didn't have any work to do.

*edit* Looks like Wilkinson was picked, madness. Still think England will win this weekend but I can't see Wilkinson playing that well. Just hope he doesn't get injured again. Personally I think they would have been better leaving him in the Premiership for a few games, maybe bring him in at the end of the tournament or even wait till the summer internationals. Afterall the main concern has to be making sure he is fit for the world cup seeing as he is one of the few worldclass backs they have.
Unread 29 Jan 2007, 16:32   #2
All Systems Go

All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: 6 Nations (Discussion and fantasy league)

Quote:
Originally Posted by midge5
Not sure how many people will be interested but I made a league anyway as it killed 15 minutes at work.
I can assure you that I have no interest in this entire thread. In fact, I'm not really sure why I'm here.

Bye.
The 20th century has been characterised by three developments of great political importance. The growth of democracy; the growth of corporate power; and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.
All Systems Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Jan 2007, 16:50   #3
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

6+ weeks of hearing how england are either the best or the worst team thats ever played ahoy

Believe in me, cause i don't believe in anything
And i wanna be someone, to believe, to believe in
Deffeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Jan 2007, 03:06   #4
Hicks
Raaaaaaaah!

Hicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

I'm going to Wales vs Ireland on Sunday, it will be full of pissed up Valley Commandos but but I've not been to a rugby International in a few years so I feel I could do with reminding why I like to stick to NP

I shall be reciting your post throughout the day to make it sound like I have a clue what I'm talking about.
Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Jan 2007, 11:35   #5
midge5
mmm lambs

midge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hicks
I'm going to Wales vs Ireland on Sunday, it will be full of pissed up Valley Commandos but but I've not been to a rugby International in a few years so I feel I could do with reminding why I like to stick to NP .
International games have been getting much better recently in terms of atmosphere and stuff Did sort of die a few years ago.

Not looking forward to doing London -> Cardiff -> Aberdare -> Cardiff all in one day though :/
Unread 30 Jan 2007, 14:05   #6
Hicks
Raaaaaaaah!

Hicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

It's a pretty annoying trip, I do London to Cardiff and back pretty much every weekend for football, recently it's been taking about five hours due to engineering work, I sleep most of the way there and back though since I'm usually hung over. This weekend I think I'm going to do:

Friday: London > Cardiff > Bridgend (for the Cardiff City game).
Saturday: Bridgend > London (spending the day with my old man who's over from Canada, possibly see Charlton vs Chelsea).
Sunday: London > Cardiff > London (rugby).

Hope the atmosphere has improved, thinking about it I think the last time I went must have been Wales vs Ireland in 2001/2002, I used to go quite regularly in the old Arms Park but since the Millennium has been built I think that's the only game I've seen. Are you going on Sunday then ?

Last edited by Hicks; 30 Jan 2007 at 14:13.
Unread 30 Jan 2007, 15:17   #7
midge5
mmm lambs

Quote:
It's a pretty annoying trip, I do London to Cardiff and back pretty much every weekend for football, recently it's been taking about five hours due to engineering work, I sleep most of the way there and back though since I'm usually hung over. This weekend I think I'm going to do:

Friday: London > Cardiff > Bridgend (for the Cardiff City game).
Saturday: Bridgend > London (spending the day with my old man who's over from Canada, possibly see Charlton vs Chelsea).
Sunday: London > Cardiff > London (rugby).

Hope the atmosphere has improved, thinking about it I think the last time I went must have been Wales vs Ireland in 2001/2002, I used to go quite regularly in the old Arms Park but since the Millennium has been built I think that's the only game I've seen. Are you going on Sunday then ?

Holy shit that is an insane schedule.

Yeah I will be going, go to all the international matches that the Millennium Stadium hosts, and most other rugby games. Not sure I will keep that up now (Wales vs San Marino at 19:30 on a Wednesday night when I leave work at gone 5 doesn't really sound worth it) but still try to go to as many as possible.
Unread 30 Jan 2007, 17:32   #8
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugb...ue/6313389.stm

Given that im completely indifferent to both types of rugby because i think its fairly shit, but i probably prefer Union to League simply because it seems to have international competitions which hold more prestige....

... can someone explain me why league followers hate union, and presumably vice versa?

From that link

"For so many historic, cultural and social reasons - some real, some imagined, some exaggerated - your dyed-in-the-wool league fan will at best ignore the efforts of the England rugby union side, and more commonly, hope for their miserable failure."

what? Seriously, league fans will cheer against englands ru side?

Info plz

Unread 30 Jan 2007, 23:42   #9
midge5
mmm lambs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deffeh
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugb...ue/6313389.stm

Given that im completely indifferent to both types of rugby because i think its fairly shit, but i probably prefer Union to League simply because it seems to have international competitions which hold more prestige....

... can someone explain me why league followers hate union, and presumably vice versa?

From that link

"For so many historic, cultural and social reasons - some real, some imagined, some exaggerated - your dyed-in-the-wool league fan will at best ignore the efforts of the England rugby union side, and more commonly, hope for their miserable failure."

what? Seriously, league fans will cheer against englands ru side?

Info plz

To be honest I don't really know why there seems to be that hatred. It isn't that bad at all down here and I don't know anyone who would want the Wales/Lions league team to lose despite the fact everyone I know prefers union over rugby (ignoring those who don't like rugby at all).

The only real reason I can see for the built up animosity is the old amateur/professional devide which used to exist and then the frustration union fans used to feel at seeing their best players poached away by league clubs with more money. I know Jonathon Davies got given a huge amount of stick for leaving union. Maybe now the league fans are bitter about the fact it is happening in reverse and the fact their game never got more popular despite all the extra money and supposed higher standard it was meant to be at (Wigan annihilating Bath in the cross code game a decade or so ago). Now it is probably just traditional to hate the other code.

Wales never really had any league teams though which has probably meant the rivalry isn't as strong here as England. Considering league is a northern game and union a more southern biased then part of it could come down to an extension of that on top of the factors effecting Wales.

I heard something similar around 2003/04 when the Welsh rugby team was doing badly while the football was finally on the up under Hughes. In one six nations game when Wales lost a load of fans at Ninian Park cheered as they saw it as a victory for football over rugby which I just found really strange.

Last edited by midge5; 30 Jan 2007 at 23:48.
midge5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Jan 2007, 23:47   #10
Hicks
Raaaaaaaah!

Yea the evening games are quite tough from London, we've had a few Friday night ones recently, you can just about make it so long as there are no delays and you manage to get on the 5:15 from Paddington. It really does cut it fine though. Not seen Wales play football in a bit but I wouldn't mind going over to Ireland in March.

Where did you end up working ? Did you go into accountancy ?
Unread 31 Jan 2007, 00:20   #11
midge5
mmm lambs

Quote:
Yea the evening games are quite tough from London, we've had a few Friday night ones recently, you can just about make it so long as there are no delays and you manage to get on the 5:15 from Paddington. It really does cut it fine though. Not seen Wales play football in a bit but I wouldn't mind going over to Ireland in March.

Where did you end up working ? Did you go into accountancy ?
Yeah I became a sad old man and joined an accounting firm down in Canary Wharf.

I was supposed to be going to Ireland, then got my dates mixed up and already have EDF semis tickets :/ Was looking forward to that as well, never been to Ireland before andone of the few chances to go to Croke Park. Oh well.

Last edited by midge5; 31 Jan 2007 at 00:25.
midge5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Jan 2007, 01:46   #12
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by midge5
I know Jonathon Davies got given a huge amount of stick for leaving union. .

If theres one thing i know about rugby (and theres probably only one thing), its that jonathon davies is a wanker

Unread 31 Jan 2007, 13:29   #13
All Systems Go

All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deffeh
If theres one thing i know about rugby (and theres probably only one thing), its that jonathon davies is a wanker
I think somebodys been listening to too much Rugby Union propaganda.
The 20th century has been characterised by three developments of great political importance. The growth of democracy; the growth of corporate power; and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.
All Systems Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Jan 2007, 18:19   #14
KaneED
Motherfracker

KaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond repute

I'll be surprised if Ireland don't win
KaneED is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Jan 2007, 18:40   #15
Alki
Drink is Good

Alki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better place

aww kaneed i like your avatar, i actually have one of those aswell. The joys of working for orange
Unread 31 Jan 2007, 19:59   #16
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Systems Go
I think somebodys been listening to too much Rugby Union propaganda.
actually i didnt even know he played league before this thread.

i was judging my wanker comment on the fact he talks a load of ****ing pish and could find a way to talk about wales even if hes commentating on england-france or whatever