User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions

Unread 25 Mar 2009, 16:17   #1
Kattepis
De aroma komt je tegemoet

Kattepis is infamous around these parts
Intregrate IRC into the report button

Most of the alliances have a defence bot who work on the netgamers server.
There should be an option that the GC or MoW or only the player itself can insert a line of text what will connect to the report button. Pa has to make an irc bot to make this to work.

Example:
Like my defence bot or channel is #defencechanneldefencebot
Then i insert this line into PA "/msg #defencechanneldefencebot". Then PA should paste the fleet who is attacking me with my defence channel/bot on the negamers server.
Like: /msg #defencechanneldefencebot 1:1:1* 80:7:2 I come to roid you Etd 158500 Attack 9

(lol when i was typing this i needed a line from overview to make it look right. I just had new incs so that worked out :P)

Like this:
-galaxies will never have unreported incommings cause galmates only press the report button (happened to me this round)
-galmates cant make typo mistakes in the defbot (i did that once) so some fleets wont get reported
-and it just makes life a bit easyer for lazy galmates :P
Kattepis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Mar 2009, 16:36   #2
Heartless
CRASHING BEATS 'N FANTASY

Heartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Re: Intregrate IRC into the report button

I am against it. This game should NOT have IRC as a "system requirement". I admit, IRC is a nice protocol to use when it comes to organizing, but that is about it.

What speaks against giving all your DCs access to the ingame defense page and have them check it, though?
Unread 25 Mar 2009, 16:40   #3
robban1

robban1 is infamous around these partsrobban1 is infamous around these partsrobban1 is infamous around these partsrobban1 is infamous around these partsrobban1 is infamous around these partsrobban1 is infamous around these parts

you want the bot to play for ya as well kattepiss?

robban1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Mar 2009, 19:36   #4
Kattepis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartless View Post
I am against it. This game should NOT have IRC as a "system requirement". I admit, IRC is a nice protocol to use when it comes to organizing, but that is about it.

What speaks against giving all your DCs access to the ingame defense page and have them check it, though?
I dont think this feature would make IRC a system requirement. Nothing will change about the ingame tools. They stay the same and the alliance def page would stay the same. It only helps making things abit easyer. Especially for new people who dont know much about irc. I have seen many new guys in pa struggling with irc to report something.
With this feature irc wouldnt be required at all anymore. Atm irc is needed to report incommings. Now new people dont need irc at all anymore to report.
Unread 26 Mar 2009, 04:08   #5
Kattepis

And i just noticed this can be very helpfull in reporting all the incommings ingal. 24 planets. Most of them get incs. Its pretty annoying to sort out all defboths and copy paste all the fleets into al the channels/bots.
Unread 26 Mar 2009, 11:22   #6
Heartless

Heartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kattepis View Post
I dont think this feature would make IRC a system requirement. Nothing will change about the ingame tools. They stay the same and the alliance def page would stay the same. It only helps making things abit easyer. Especially for new people who dont know much about irc. I have seen many new guys in pa struggling with irc to report something.
With this feature irc wouldnt be required at all anymore. Atm irc is needed to report incommings. Now new people dont need irc at all anymore to report.
No, the mistake in first place is that alliances rely on IRC. They should not. The ingame tools are great for organizing defense! It just seems that a lot of alliances disagree with that point of view, though.

So the real question probably is: Why are people not using the ingame tools? This game must reach a point where everything can be done properly from within the game itself.

One thing or another, I do actually agree that some sort of API for external websites might actually be worth a try. Instead of having PA pushing all information to this or that external resource it could as well just have other tools pulling the information from PA as needed.
Unread 26 Mar 2009, 15:32   #7
Kattepis

Quote:
No, the mistake in first place is that alliances rely on IRC. They should not. The ingame tools are great for organizing defense! It just seems that a lot of alliances disagree with that point of view, though.

So the real question probably is: Why are people not using the ingame tools? This game must reach a point where everything can be done properly from within the game itself.

One thing or another, I do actually agree that some sort of API for external websites might actually be worth a try. Instead of having PA pushing all information to this or that external resource it could as well just have other tools pulling the information from PA as needed.
PA is born with IRC. Since round 1 everybody is using it. We even have an ingame comm-system.
I dont think IRC will ever leave PA. Not after 30 rounds. Alliances will still use it cause they can customize their own irc bot but they cant customize the pa tools.
Unread 26 Mar 2009, 16:37   #8
GReaper
The BOFH

GReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant future

Quote:
Reporting ingame relies on whoever organises defence to load the page, reporting on IRC can usually alert/highlight anyone who is around in the relevant channel. So for getting attention of people quickly and easily IRC wins.

The interface for various aspects of alliances still isn't that great. The functionality needs to at least be equal to the best alliance systems, once you start missing little bits certain alliances don't bother using any of it.

Quote:
I'd personally agree an API is needed, but I suppose you'd have to ask the alliances if their coders (if they've got any) would actually end up using it. I'd like to see small steps taken towards opening up the data so external tools can use them more easily, start with scans and work from there. Maybe if the first few things are successful then full alliance info can be added afterwards.
GReaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Mar 2009, 18:16   #9
Devlin

Devlin has a spectacular aura aboutDevlin has a spectacular aura aboutDevlin has a spectacular aura about

I agree. Alot of alliances have advanced defense systems that do so many cool things I won't begin to list them. It should definitely be an option to supply a bot/channel in addition to having the call sent to the ingame system.
Devlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Mar 2009, 18:17   #10
Heartless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kattepis View Post
PA is born with IRC. Since round 1 everybody is using it. We even have an ingame comm-system.
I dont think IRC will ever leave PA. Not after 30 rounds. Alliances will still use it cause they can customize their own irc bot but they cant customize the pa tools.
Not disagreeing there. I didn't say that IRC should leave PA either. I just said it should not be a requirement. Especially since the largest possible customer base is not using IRC, nor has an intention to. These people are now on facebook, msn, icq, skype or whatever else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GReaper View Post
Reporting ingame relies on whoever organises defence to load the page, reporting on IRC can usually alert/highlight anyone who is around in the relevant channel. So for getting attention of people quickly and easily IRC wins.
So what, it's certainly not PA's responsibility to ensure that your DC (or whoever else) actually notices if there are defence calls. Come on, at least _some_ action-taking from the player's side should be done. Otherwise it gets even more boring than it is already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GReaper View Post
The interface for various aspects of alliances still isn't that great. The functionality needs to at least be equal to the best alliance systems, once you start missing little bits certain alliances don't bother using any of it.
Not disagreeing on that point either. However, what about making suggestions how the ingame alliance system should be like instead of just ignoring it completely? We in ascendancy for example aren't using much of it either. But it's scan database and defense page are incredibly helpful for example.