User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions

Closed Thread
Unread 21 Jun 2005, 23:49   #1
JDsocbas

JDsocbas is an unknown quantity at this point
[Declined] New Idea for the Next Round

I was wondering if it would be possible to add to engineering another focus that could help decrease travel time eta even further. Maybe 1 extra tick and it would be the same no matter what priority it would put. This would give an advantage for galaxies that coordinate defense and for planets that have advanced enough that want enlarge their score faster. Respond however you feel to the topic.
Unread 22 Jun 2005, 00:02   #2
Dovai
Rage

Dovai is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: New Idea for the Next Round

This would see xans zik's and caths tearing round the universe at 6 ticks. No thanks

Hope Is The First Step On The Road To Disapointment
Unread 22 Jun 2005, 00:30   #3
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

No thanks, travel time is just too important to have it affected by engineering settings. Stats only.
Unread 22 Jun 2005, 10:56   #4
Lοki
God of Fire and Mischief

Lοki is a jewel in the roughLοki is a jewel in the roughLοki is a jewel in the rough

agree... but I think it wouldn't cause problems as the entire universe would have eta on first priority
Unread 22 Jun 2005, 15:14   #5
barney
Ex-Visionary

barney is a jewel in the roughbarney is a jewel in the roughbarney is a jewel in the rough

ffs then i would be able to sleep 5 hours til it is jumpie time, do you want me to loose my job
r11 NoS (16:9:10)
r12 VsN (22:2:1)
r13 VsN BC (10:10:10) - R.I.P.
r14 xVx Head BC (2:8:3)
Unread 23 Jun 2005, 12:28   #6
Nadar
I see you!

Nadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriend

Not a good idea imo. Everyone would set their engineers to get better traveltime then and we'd all be on the same ETA again.
Unread 23 Jun 2005, 18:56   #7
berzerker
Professional AlcoFrolic

berzerker has a spectacular aura aboutberzerker has a spectacular aura aboutberzerker has a spectacular aura about

how about just say -1 for damn cloaked xans
Unread 24 Jun 2005, 07:18   #8
The Master

silly idea. would completely disrupt the game mechanics + there is no way to increment it on different priorities given the discreet nature.

Unread 26 Jun 2005, 06:41   #9
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by berzerker
how about just say -1 for damn cloaked xans
And exactly how do you defend against ETA 6 universal FI fleets with your alliance? The only way would be for other Xans (with Sentinels) and/or a future Corvette that targets FI.

I think it would make the xan FI fleet far more powerful, as defence would be much scarcer (and with less time to respond) if that were the case.

Compare the universal ETA 6 FI fleet which has 1 tick of defence time for only one race, to the Cath CR fleet which presently has 3 ticks of defence from all four races.

:\
Unread 26 Jun 2005, 10:31   #10
Prawn
:o\

Prawn is on a distinguished road

I'm with other ppl, this would give a massive advantage to people with CO/FI roiding fleets. Would also be a lot more beneficial to larger players who perhaps have a slightly more secure source of income and therefore could more easily afford, for example, to bump mining down an engineering priority to fit this in. And seeing as I'm unlikely to be one of those players I reckon that would be a bad idea
Unread 26 Jun 2005, 15:02   #11
berzerker
Professional AlcoFrolic

berzerker has a spectacular aura aboutberzerker has a spectacular aura aboutberzerker has a spectacular aura about

i was kidding. as if eta6 fleets would ever be allowed.

although, i suppose it would make some gals more active.
Unread 26 Jun 2005, 18:17   #12
Appocomaster
PA Team

Appocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

I do agree engineering could be more diverse, but I think the majority of players agree ETA is ok as it is currently.
Unread 26 Jun 2005, 23:47   #13
The Master

agreed.

perhaps another idea for engineering? how about a defensive/offensive engineering setting? All ships are given a bonus of 1% - 2% - 4% to either damage or armour?

Unread 26 Jun 2005, 23:52   #14
Appocomaster
PA Team

Appocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

There used to be a 6th option for engineering, "war", which increased damage by 5%, 7% or 10%. However, when the roid allocation was changed from disturbance to pod armour in r11 after r10.5 (?) I pointed out to Spinner this would mean that pods cap 10% more roids, and he disabled it with some "all planets decided to be more peaceful" stuff.
Unread 27 Jun 2005, 01:21   #15
The Master

might be interesting to discuss this sometime, just an idea though.... i do think that a new engineering setting could be fun I'll pop by #support at some point in the future and have a chat with you.

Unread 27 Jun 2005, 08:06   #16
Lοki
God of Fire and Mischief

Lοki is a jewel in the roughLοki is a jewel in the roughLοki is a jewel in the rough

I like apocomaster's idea
Unread 27 Jun 2005, 08:42   #17
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appocomaster
There used to be a 6th option for engineering, "war", which increased damage by 5%, 7% or 10%. However, when the roid allocation was changed from disturbance to pod armour in r11 after r10.5 (?) I pointed out to Spinner this would mean that pods cap 10% more roids, and he disabled it with some "all planets decided to be more peaceful" stuff.
I was under the impression that Pods, SKs (indeed EMP, Steal, Subversion, Normal) were all considered seperately by the combat engine. Surely it wouldnt be too hard to make the War engineering disabled on Pods (and SKs) whilst there still be bonues for all other types of ships?
Unread 27 Jun 2005, 16:25   #18
berzerker
Professional AlcoFrolic

how about having a "war" advantage that varies depending on your value or score... say 5% better att/def ability for those with low numbers, and -5% when you hit a certain size and vary it inbetween (when you hit 1mil val, you get +5%, then for every further 2mil you get -1%). that'll make it harder for bigger players to stay big, and easier for smaller players to grow.

just a thought, dont take it too seriously though. cant imagine it'd be easy on the server, doing all these extra calcs every tick, for every +1mil player.
Unread 27 Jun 2005, 19:52   #19
Rocko

Rocko is a glorious beacon of lightRocko is a glorious beacon of lightRocko is a glorious beacon of lightRocko is a glorious beacon of lightRocko is a glorious beacon of light

how about -1 but only for terrens
put us poor buggers on an equal footing

Terren BS incomming,.. ETA 8!!! muhahahahah
Unread 27 Jun 2005, 21:29   #20
The Master

Dark Link, unless im going completely mad, I'm pretty sure that was my idea.

Ultimate Newbie, I was going to ask the same thing... is that possible Appocomaster?

Unread 27 Jun 2005, 21:33   #21
Appocomaster
PA Team

The Master, in round 10 and 10.5 we had it already - you may have thought of it by yourself, but others have already seen it in action. Obviously it is possible to some extent, although not for Round 14, but I don't know if it's possible to select which ships are affected.
Unread 28 Jun 2005, 14:53   #22
berzerker
Professional AlcoFrolic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko
how about -1 but only for terrens
put us poor buggers on an equal footing

Terren BS incomming,.. ETA 8!!! muhahahahah
Unread 28 Jun 2005, 19:37   #23
The Master

ok that would be good to find out... even if its not something that takes effect for a while.

Either way you look at it dark link was wrong. lol, im being petty.

Unread 22 Aug 2005, 13:00   #24
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

declined - we don't want faster ships

Round 6-10 NoS member-->NoS junior HC
Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Check out toastmonster.com for crazy illustrations and art
Closed Thread