User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 29 Jan 2004, 17:59   #1
Ragnarak

Ragnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to behold
[Physics] It's the end of the world as we know it.

When the sun eventually becomes a red giant, we're gonna die but i'm trying to make sure i understand exactly what would happen.

If it doesn't lose much mass it'll engulf the earth in it's photosphere. We'll all be dead by then but what happens to the earth? The orbit would decay and it'd spiral inwards right? Would the density of the photosphere would provide some 'drag' which would slow the decaying orbit down? That'd make sense but i'm not sure whether that density would be negligable.

Also if the sun did lose mass (in form of solar wind etc) when turning into a red giant what would happen? The solar wind forces may push the earth outwards and as the sun has less mass the orbital radius of the earth would increase? Would the earth move out to a new stable orbit further away from the sun (and outside of it's photosphere)?

I'm just trying to see if i've made any stupid asumptions or forgotten anything.
Are the best i've ever had
Ragnarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Jan 2004, 19:25   #2
Baron Morte
Blatantly overcooked

Baron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud of
Re: [Physics] It's the end of the world as we know it.

Actually recent discoveries point out that galaxy clash that will take place somewhere in the next 4bi years will more likely be responsible for our solar´s system final disruption than an eventual sun burnout.
This galaxy, Andromeda, if memory serves, will be the resposible for our obliteration.

As far as this situation goes, I am under the impression that due to great reduction in our sun´s density, intwine with its mass dispersion nearer to the earth, our orbit will suffer minor effects.

Obviously this is a major toss because i am no astro·physi·cist .

Ps. Do you think the [physics] tag scared people away?
Unread 29 Jan 2004, 19:27   #3
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

What are you talking about? The sun's just a bright light shone down my god to illuminate our miserable lives.
Unread 29 Jan 2004, 19:32   #4
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Morte
Actually recent discoveries point out that galaxy clash that will take place somewhere in the next 4bi years will more likely be responsible for our solar´s system final disruption than an eventual sun burnout.
This galaxy, Andromeda, if memory serves, will be the resposible for our obliteration.
Galaxies aren't exactly solid things that hit eachother, BOOM, duder.

ps.

Both these events are estimated for about 5bn years hence.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Jan 2004, 19:32   #5
Ragnarak

Ragnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Ps. Do you think the [physics] tag scared people away?

Yes, but i was hoping the REM reference in the title would get mark in here
Unread 29 Jan 2004, 19:34   #6
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnarak
Yes, but i was hoping the REM reference in the title would get mark in here
Hey duder wazzup
Unread 29 Jan 2004, 19:36   #7
Baron Morte
Blatantly overcooked

Baron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrL_JaKiri
Galaxies aren't exactly solid things that hit eachother, BOOM, duder.

ps.

Both these events are estimated for about 5bn years hence.
It is obvious that I didnt mean "words colliding" kind of end. But the gravitatinal strength involved in such collisions, bearing in mind that galaxies do have black holes inside them, is more than enough to shatter our word into smithereens.
Unread 29 Jan 2004, 19:40   #8
Jennifer
Destroyer of Worlds

Jennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet society

............are you a physicist?
“In spite of the roaring of the young lions at the Union, and the screaming of the rabbits in the home of the vivisect, in spite of Keble College, and the tramways, and the sporting prints, Oxford still remains the most beautiful thing in England, and nowhere else are life and art so exquisitely blended, so perfectly made one.”
Jennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Jan 2004, 19:40   #9
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
If it doesn't lose much mass it'll engulf the earth in it's photosphere. We'll all be dead by then but what happens to the earth? The orbit would decay and it'd spiral inwards right? Would the density of the photosphere would provide some 'drag' which would slow the decaying orbit down? That'd make sense but i'm not sure whether that density would be negligable.
It depends of course whether we're talking about the end of the planet, or the end of life on the surface. The orbit can go **** itself as far as surface life is concerned, as we'll be dead either way. Furthermore, I'd suspect that the drag will be appreciable (as in 'non-negligable', rather than UUGE), however its only effect will be to cause the orbit to depreciate more quickly.

Quote:
Also if the sun did lose mass (in form of solar wind etc) when turning into a red giant what would happen? The solar wind forces may push the earth outwards and as the sun has less mass the orbital radius of the earth would increase? Would the earth move out to a new stable orbit further away from the sun (and outside of it's photosphere)?
I don't see why we need to bring the solar wind into it; if the sun loses a significant amount of mass, the earth will move into a more distant orbit perfectly naturally (it'll be an ellipse with a more significant eccentricity, of course)
Unread 29 Jan 2004, 19:43   #10
Proteus
Lord Denning

Proteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriend

By the time something threatens the Earth, we'll have invented planet-engines to move it somewhere else.
He was crowned in York Cathedral as 'Expert in the West' by Pope Urban III in 1186.
Proteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Jan 2004, 19:44   #11
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proteus
By the time something threatens the Earth, we'll have invented planet-engines to move it somewhere else.
Moving planets is fine. Don't try to move stars, they'll get annoyed at you.
Unread 29 Jan 2004, 19:45   #12
Proteus
Lord Denning

Proteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Moving planets is fine. Don't try to move stars, they'll get annoyed at you.
I think a giant fan is in order.
He was crowned in York Cathedral as 'Expert in the West' by Pope Urban III in 1186.
Proteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Jan 2004, 19:47   #13
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proteus
I think a giant fan is in order.
Stars are great
Unread 29 Jan 2004, 19:47   #14
Ragnarak

Quote:
It depends of course whether we're talking about the end of the planet

I was talking end of the planet.

I was trying to think how the drag affects the period/radius. Drag is dependant on velocity squared, so the slower you go the less drag. By the time the drag is negligable i'd assume that the earth would already be quickly spiralling inwards, but wanted to prove this numerically.
Unread 29 Jan 2004, 19:57   #15
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
I was talking end of the planet.

I was trying to think how the drag affects the period/radius. Drag is dependant on velocity squared, so the slower you go the less drag. By the time the drag is negligable i'd assume that the earth would already be quickly spiralling inwards, but wanted to prove this numerically.
Remember also that the drag will increase the closer to the sun you get, because it'll go from rarified to thick (well, not quite that extreme, but you get the idea).

I was going to write some more, but I can't think how to word it, because my mind's working in 1930's detective slang.
Unread 29 Jan 2004, 20:02   #16
Ragnarak

Quote:
Remember also that the drag will increase the closer to the sun you get, because it'll go from rarified to thick (well, not quite that extreme, but you get the idea).

I was going to write some more, but I can't think how to word it, because my mind's working in 1930's detective slang.
I was just going to assume an average density for the photosphere. Hmmm.
Unread 29 Jan 2004, 20:03   #17
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
I was just going to assume an average density for the photosphere. Hmmm.
It should be possible to work out the rate of change of density of it wrt orbital distance
Unread 29 Jan 2004, 20:04   #18
Ragnarak

Quote:
It should be possible to work out the rate of change of density of it wrt orbital distance

Yeah, cheers.
Unread 29 Jan 2004, 20:06   #19
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Yeah, cheers.
I don't think it matters that much; the effects of the solar wind and the drag on the planet (or, for both, on the planet's magnetosphere to be more accurate) will be tiny compared to gravity.
Unread 29 Jan 2004, 20:10   #20
Stew
Made of Twigs

Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Wassit matter its 4bill yrs away, I wont be here, my kids wont be here, my grand kids wont be here, humans wont be here!
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Jan 2004, 20:12   #21
Intrepid00

Intrepid00 is an unknown quantity at this point

What the hell do they care about, its an event like Stew said that will happen billions of years after you dead. You have any idea just how big 1 billion is. If you had 1 billion dollars and spent 1 dollar every second you wouldn't spend all of it by the time your dead.
Intrepid00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Jan 2004, 20:13   #22
Ragnarak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid00
What the hell do they care about, its an event like Stew said that will happen billions of years after you dead. You have any idea just how big 1 billion is. If you had 1 billion dollars and spent 1 dollar every second you wouldn't spend all of it by the time your dead.

I study astrophysics*

*kind of
Unread 29 Jan 2004, 20:15   #23
Ragnarak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew
my kids wont be here
something you ain't told me bout?
Unread 29 Jan 2004, 20:17   #24
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid00
He's a phyicist (sort of). I think he knows about big numbers.

ps.

Rag, tell muslim that he's being a moron. (the buried thread)
Unread 29 Jan 2004, 20:19   #25
Ragnarak

Quote:
He's a phyicist (sort of).
I'm offended

But fair enough.
Unread 29 Jan 2004, 20:54   #26
Deciduous

Deciduous is an unknown quantity at this point

I remember reading that the Earth's orbit would shift outwards (Sun's lower mass and all that jazz) and be outside the Sun's photosphere, so all that drag business doesn't seem appropriate.
Deciduous is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Jan 2004, 20:57   #27
Ragnarak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deciduous
I remember reading that the Earth's orbit would shift outwards (Sun's lower mass and all that jazz) and be outside the Sun's photosphere, so all that drag business doesn't seem appropriate.

There's 2 possibilities.

It depends on whether the sun retains it's mass as it tranforms into a red giant.
Unread 29 Jan 2004, 21:03   #28
Baron Morte
Blatantly overcooked

Quote:
He's a phyicist (sort of). I think he knows about big numbers.

ps.

Rag, tell muslim that he's being a moron. (the buried thread)
Well i think you are the moron, considering that you think that a physics degree is enough to challange terms which were built by countless physics which were by far better than you.
Unread 29 Jan 2004, 21:06   #29
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Well i think you are the moron, considering that you think that a physics degree is enough to challange terms which were built by countless physics which were by far better than you.
1. I don't have a physics degree

2. I'm not disagreeing with either Physics, or the quoted dictionary definition. On the same page, there's a definition which is simpler and more accurate, for instance.
Unread 29 Jan 2004, 21:06   #30
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
There's 2 possibilities.

It depends on whether the sun retains it's mass as it tranforms into a red giant.
It will lose quite a lot of mass (a nova, as opposed to a supernova)
Unread 29 Jan 2004, 21:16   #31
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Tactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Exclamation Re: [Physics] It's the end of the world as we know it.

Quote:
There's 2 possibilities.

Stars can lose a significant percentage of their mass after they become red giants (see planetary nebulae).
The Ottawa Citizen and Southam News wish to apologize for our apology to Mark Steyn, published Oct. 22. In correcting the incorrect statements about Mr. Steyn published Oct. 15, we incorrectly published the incorrect correction. We accept and regret that our original regrets were unacceptable and we apologize to Mr. Steyn for any distress caused by our previous apology.
Tactitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Jan 2004, 21:36   #32
BeeKiller
Theh Muffin Man \o/

BeeKiller is a jewel in the roughBeeKiller is a jewel in the roughBeeKiller is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
It is obvious that I didnt mean "words colliding" kind of end. But the gravitatinal strength involved in such collisions, bearing in mind that galaxies do have black holes inside them, is more than enough to shatter our word into smithereens.
Actually galaxies colliding doesn't actually affect the individual stars anywear near as much as the shape of the overall galaxies themselves. The distances between stars/black holes/planets etc are so huge that they only have relatively minor influences over each other at these distances. Gravity is actually the weakest fundemental force (by far) from what i remember. O_O
R4: Seal left to ReCon then TRT (ReBorn)
R5-8: Don't remember exact order, but, ReBorn, Silver, Legends
R9: Didn't Play
R9.5-11: FAnG Defence Genius & later HC
R12: LCH Defence Genius
R13 and beyond: Angels Genius
BeeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Jan 2004, 21:48   #33
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeKiller
Actually galaxies colliding doesn't actually affect the individual stars anywear near as much as the shape of the overall galaxies themselves. The distances between stars/black holes/planets etc are so huge that they only have relatively minor influences over each other at these distances. Gravity is actually the weakest fundemental force (by far) from what i remember. O_O
You were doing so well up until that final line.

Gravity is the weakest, yes, because the mass of a particle is (for all charged particles) relatively much less than its charge.

The weak and the strong nuclear forces are very short ranged, so we don't have to deal with them.

The thing is that there is no (significant, or existing beyond theory at least) antimass. Charge almost ALWAYS cancels itself out at long ranges. Gravity, because it's all positive, doesn't.
Unread 29 Jan 2004, 21:49   #34
Ragnarak

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrL_JaKiri + Tacitus
It will lose quite a lot of mass (a nova, as opposed to a supernova)

It can but it might not. I was hoping to take both eventualities into consideration.

ps. muslim, give up, please
Unread 29 Jan 2004, 21:53   #35
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
It can but it might not. I was hoping to take both eventualities into consideration.
What I'd do if I wanted to calculate this was to rephrase the question.

1. How much mass will the star have to lose for the earth to be outside the photosphere?

2. Assuming a linear relationship between % distance inside the photosphere and retardation force, how fast will it spiral in (the force required to keep it in that orbit and the force from drag are both based on v^2, so the relationship will be (sort of) linear at this accuracy)?

Of course, 2 involves other problems; as a qualitiative statement 'If in the photosphere, the earth will fall into the sun' is fine, but it's the numbers that cause the problem.
Unread 29 Jan 2004, 22:06   #36
BeeKiller
Theh Muffin Man \o/

BeeKiller is a jewel in the roughBeeKiller is a jewel in the roughBeeKiller is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
You were doing so well up until that final line.

Gravity is the weakest, yes, because the mass of a particle is (for all charged particles) relatively much less than its charge.

The weak and the strong nuclear forces are very short ranged, so we don't have to deal with them.

The thing is that there is no (significant, or existing beyond theory at least) antimass. Charge almost ALWAYS cancels itself out at long ranges. Gravity, because it's all positive, doesn't.
ah good point, i forgot about how the other forces cancel out whereas gravity doesn't. I suppose even though the effect would be weak it could affect our orbit, which could, quite easily make the planet uninhabitable (too hot or cold). This could happen, although the overall effect on the solar system (on a more cosmic scale) would probably negligble.
R4: Seal left to ReCon then TRT (ReBorn)
R5-8: Don't remember exact order, but, ReBorn, Silver, Legends
R9: Didn't Play
R9.5-11: FAnG Defence Genius & later HC
R12: LCH Defence Genius
R13 and beyond: Angels Genius
BeeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Jan 2004, 22:10   #37
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeKiller
ah good point, i forgot about how the other forces cancel out whereas gravity doesn't. I suppose even though the effect would be weak it could affect our orbit, which could, quite easily make the planet uninhabitable (too hot or cold). This could happen, although the overall effect on the solar system (on a more cosmic scale) would probably negligble.
If you want an example of the electromagnetic force being quite active on a large scale, look at this thread; the interaction between the planet and the photosphere is likely to be largely due to EM interactions, for instance.
Unread 29 Jan 2004, 22:20   #38
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Tactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Exclamation Re: [Physics] It's the end of the world as we know it.

Quote:
What I'd do if I wanted to calculate this was to rephrase the question.

1. How much mass will the star have to lose for the earth to be outside the photosphere?
Don't you need to know the size of the photosphere first though? I don't think anyone really knows how large the photosphere will get--I've seen estimates ranging from inside earth's orbit to outside Mars' orbit.
Quote:
2. Assuming a linear relationship between % distance inside the photosphere and retardation force, how fast will it spiral in (the force required to keep it in that orbit and the force from drag are both based on v^2, so the relationship will be (sort of) linear at this accuracy)?
I don't think one can assume it will spiral in though. We've already discovered planets in orbits << 1 AU around stars that have already passed through the red giant phase. These are all jovian-sized planets, but still the outer photosphere of a red giant is quite tenuous (a good vacuum by terrestrial standards).
The Ottawa Citizen and Southam News wish to apologize for our apology to Mark Steyn, published Oct. 22. In correcting the incorrect statements about Mr. Steyn published Oct. 15, we incorrectly published the incorrect correction. We accept and regret that our original regrets were unacceptable and we apologize to Mr. Steyn for any distress caused by our previous apology.
Tactitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Jan 2004, 22:26   #39
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactitus
Don't you need to know the size of the photosphere first though? I don't think anyone really knows how large the photosphere will get--I've seen estimates ranging from inside earth's orbit to outside Mars' orbit.
Obviously assumptions will have to be made, but you can estimate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactitus
I don't think one can assume it will spiral in though. We've already discovered planets in orbits << 1 AU around stars that have already passed through the red giant phase. These are all jovian-sized planets, but still the outer photosphere of a red giant is quite tenuous (a good vacuum by terrestrial standards).
It's not a question of if though, which is the point I was making. It's a question of WHEN.
Unread 29 Jan 2004, 23:41   #40
Stew
Made of Twigs

Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
something you ain't told me bout?
I did think that when I put it! I should have said - the next generation. (not star trek..)
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote