User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Strategic Discussions

Unread 12 Aug 2006, 17:36   #1
Proxi
Ron Burgundy

Proxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant future
Spectres vs Roach

A question I pose to Xan people:

If you are being attacked by a Cath fleet which is going to wipe out all your spectres, would you nove them or not?

I have unfortunately been on the end of these suicidal Xans, and I can say it bloody hurts. The bloke in question ended up losing far more value than I did however, and now has no anti cr.

So, suicide spectres or keep them alive and accept the roidloss?
Unread 12 Aug 2006, 19:26   #2
Monroe
Planetarion Forum Moderator

Monroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud of
Re: Spectres vs Roach

That's always a hard call. You always gain some of it back in salavage but personally I feel the best tactic is to run your fleet rather then get it munched. Roids can always be replaced if you have ships, but ships can be very hard to replace, especially when you don't have many roids.

#strategy
Monroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Aug 2006, 21:27   #3
Gate
;D!

Gate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

If I cause a decent amount more damage to the attackers, then I pretty much always stay. And I PAmail them to tell them, as I would rather keep my ships alive ofc, but if they land, it's their fault and they'll probably believe me in future. In fact, most of the time, people don't land on me twice if it's a game of chicken and I have the ships available.

Though it also depends on who's attacking me. If it's an enemy alliance I'll be more inclined to stay at home, as it will mean that my alliance will cause some extra damage to the value of the enemy alliance. If it's not hostile, I'm more likely to consider running. And there's the other tactical considerations over whether I need them in future etc.
Gate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Aug 2006, 21:23   #4
K-W
Bored

K-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond repute

Obviously the only pragmatic tactic is to run your fleet, but some players get more enjoyment out of exacting a pound of flesh than growing efficiently. The end result of this however is that xans who suicide thier defence ships will be unable to hang onto thier roids.
Conspiracy Theory, Wrath, 1up, ICD, Eclipse
K-W is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Aug 2006, 01:53   #5
rshih
Aaranaf's Master

rshih is just really nicershih is just really nicershih is just really nicershih is just really nicershih is just really nice

http://game.planetarion.com/show_news.pl?id=7578

got sick of letting exi take my roids for free :crymeariver:
R3: nub R10: 12:9:1 to 9:7:3 G Rank #14 P Rank #194
R4: 275:6:13 R10.5: 17:9:9 quitter
R5: 4:8:4 to 35:11:x R11: 15:4:9 G Rank #10 P Rank #32
R6: 22:22:11 R12: 29:8:9
R7: 8:16:9 G Rank #52 R13: Forgot
R9: 52:6:5 for a week R14: Forgot
R9.5: 12:7:17 G Rank #17 R17: 14:3:6 G Rank #6 P Rank #9

[1up] Peon
rshih is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Aug 2006, 02:50   #6
Devlin

Devlin has a spectacular aura aboutDevlin has a spectacular aura aboutDevlin has a spectacular aura about

Personally, I am stubborn and I rarely run my ships unless its a matter of running my arrowheads from incoming pegs or the like. Then again, no one in their right mind would send CR at me in the first place with 1000 spectres floating around my planet twiddling their thumbs. I will lose as much as 50% more than my attacker and still stand steady if I am in a bad mood when I see the incs.
Devlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Aug 2006, 09:06   #7
Gate
;D!

Gate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-W
Obviously the only pragmatic tactic is to run your fleet, but some players get more enjoyment out of exacting a pound of flesh than growing efficiently. The end result of this however is that xans who suicide thier defence ships will be unable to hang onto thier roids.
I got roided by FI once or twice in r13, but after I suicided 25k sentinels (to inflict far more damage on them than they inflicted on me, it made sense from an alliance war standpoint), they didn't try me with FI again. Xands who ran though, got repeatedly roided.
Gate is offline   Reply With Quote