User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Closed Thread
Unread 21 Apr 2005, 17:44   #1
Rocko

Rocko is a glorious beacon of lightRocko is a glorious beacon of lightRocko is a glorious beacon of lightRocko is a glorious beacon of lightRocko is a glorious beacon of light
[Declined] Upgrade

Ok, this started in madmans thread about scrapping ships, and then went onto a discution on IRC,.... and i thought since it was a different idea to madmans thread, i'd better start a new one

My idea is Upgrading your lower class ships, to higher class ships.
Fi upgrade to Co
Co - Frig
Frig - destoryers
destroyers - cru
cru - BS

The cost could be the difference between the 2 ship types, PLUS, a percentage of that.
The time this would take perhaps should be set to 12 ticks, thus you couldnt do it quickly to cover an attack
This could be a fouth research on the ship type research branch of the tech tree.

"But there are more then one ship type"
I'd say each ship is given an option of what it can updage to, covering all the ship types
E.G,.. Phoenix could upgrade to either Gryphon OR a Drake.

Ziks,... an off shoot of this might be to RESTRICT ziks so that they Could NOT upgrade their ships, since they are more interested in Stealing then how to make these ships,..
Unread 21 Apr 2005, 19:42   #2
Loz
Careless talk costs lives

Loz has a spectacular aura aboutLoz has a spectacular aura aboutLoz has a spectacular aura about
Re: Upgrade

Buy the right ships to begin with?
[19:13] <Keglomaniac> whats wrong with our intel?
[19:13] <bos|takeaway> its a contradiction in terms
Unread 22 Apr 2005, 15:51   #3
WesseH
Big-shot in my own mind.

WesseH is on a distinguished road

also... anyone taking into consideration the change of ETA ?

if u upgrade all ur ships to higher classes.. who is gonna defend against those pesky xan-fi and cath/zik-co fleets when nobody has eta 7 ships anymore ?

atleast.. i wouldnt think xans will upgrade their fighters.. as they r the strength of their race...
Unread 23 Apr 2005, 03:00   #4
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesseH
also... anyone taking into consideration the change of ETA ?
Presumably, the ETA would resemble the new type of the ship. Eg Phoenix (uni 7) when 'upgraded' to a Drake would then become ETA 8.

Quote:
if u upgrade all ur ships to higher classes.. who is gonna defend against those pesky xan-fi and cath/zik-co fleets when nobody has eta 7 ships anymore ?
Well obviously people would be pretty stupid to do this. However, if that's what they want then why not let them? Some races dont have ETA 7 anti FI anyway - and other players might be more concerned about Terran BA or Cath CR than the little Xan FI (i hope - then i can roid them \o/ ). Anyway - there will be enough Xans around with sents to cover alot of incs (if not killing outright, then making too expensive to land - remember xan ships are piss weak).

I think that this feature will have the greatest usefulness for Terrans and Caths tbh - Terrans upgrading their DE to BA (through CR) as their technology improves, and Caths upgrading their Spiders to things that are more useful, like Beetles or Roaches or something.

Quote:
atleast.. i wouldnt think xans will upgrade their fighters.. as they r the strength of their race...
Xans need to be able to downgrade ships
Unread 23 Apr 2005, 03:06   #5
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loz
Buy the right ships to begin with?
This isnt an overly helpful statement. Consider a Terran looking to use a Battleship fleet but does not yet have the technology - do they wait it out and hope that they arent left too far behind, or do they build DE and roid for a while, putting back their BA Research? Most people went for the second option as it was likely to be more beneficial in the long term. So what do you do with old dems and pegs that are otherwise sitting at home doing buggar all? This is an alternative suggestion to scrapping them for resources. Not a lesson in building the correct ships.
Unread 24 Apr 2005, 16:16   #6
Rocko

Rocko is a glorious beacon of lightRocko is a glorious beacon of lightRocko is a glorious beacon of lightRocko is a glorious beacon of lightRocko is a glorious beacon of light

and yes i am a terren :P thus probably my liking this idea

another advantage wud be if your roiding fleet gets destroyed, (happens to the best every now and again ) then you could upgrade lower class ships and thus have MORE ships then having to wait to get the Resources to build the size roiding fleet you want.
then u cud spend more time building up the lower class ships again.

Again i feel i have to add, i think this is something that the Zik race Shouldn't have,.. they steal enough ships as it is :P for them to then upgrade them to whatever they want, wud be deadly to everyone else in the game.
Unread 24 Apr 2005, 19:27   #7
Appocomaster
PA Team

Appocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate Newbie
This isnt an overly helpful statement. Consider a Terran looking to use a Battleship fleet but does not yet have the technology - do they wait it out and hope that they arent left too far behind, or do they build DE and roid for a while, putting back their BA Research? Most people went for the second option as it was likely to be more beneficial in the long term. So what do you do with old dems and pegs that are otherwise sitting at home doing buggar all? This is an alternative suggestion to scrapping them for resources. Not a lesson in building the correct ships.
Any Terran getting rid of their Peg fleet might as well just hand away roids to passing xan planets. While Pegs aren't as important as they have been in previous rounds, they're still important ships.

If there's a limit as in the initial suggestion on what ships can upgrade to what, it's even worse. For Terran, there's 3 De class ships, 1 Cr class ship, and 4 Bs class ships. Obviously this won't work. If you get an option of all the ships, then you'll have to double-upgrade, paying an extra fee both times and taking 24 hours or whatever.

I think it'd be better building a fair de fleet, roiding + saving while researching siege weapons, building lots of bs and using the de fleet as a secondary fleet on those with weak anti de until it gets smaller, when you can either reinforce it or just for example don't build demeters (though they'd be nice for fakes :-))
Unread 25 Apr 2005, 10:53   #8
Rocko

,.. you might well be right on having the option to upgrade anything small to anything, bigger,..
rarther then limiting it to a step at a time,....
hmm,... still think certain people would find it usefull,.. but yeah, ideally you want to build up the fleet right the first time,... but sometimes stuff happens, and you loose a portion of your fleet.
Unread 25 Apr 2005, 11:22   #9
Squishy
Lost

Squishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Some races dont have ETA 7 anti FI anyway
Emm Sov what race doesnt have eta 7 anti fi?
Unread 25 Apr 2005, 12:03   #10
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squishy
Emm Sov what race doesnt have eta 7 anti fi?
Its times like this when i just point at my nickname and sigh :\
Unread 25 Apr 2005, 13:16   #11
Squishy
Lost

Squishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Its times like this when i just point at my nickname and sigh :\

its times like these i point and laugh
Unread 25 Apr 2005, 14:15   #12
WesseH
Big-shot in my own mind.

WesseH is on a distinguished road

another thing i wonder atm is... if i were to upgrade my Corsair Fi -> Cr would they become Corsair Co->Cr ? or would they become Cutlass Co->Fi ? and.. where do i get my anti Cr from then ?

and then if they become Corsair Co->Cr ----->> how do the stats improve on them? do they keep the same armour/cost and power/cost and go up 25% in price or something ????

the more i think about this sh.t the more rediculous it seems...

this thread wasnt intended as a joke was it?? coz.. its starting to seem laughable :-P
Unread 25 Apr 2005, 15:44   #13
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:

this thread wasnt intended as a joke was it?? coz.. its starting to seem laughable :-P
It did from the beginning so much so, I couldn't even find any problems with it. It was just...wrong.
Unread 29 Apr 2005, 18:22   #14
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

I really don;t like this idea, I think it would complicate the game and combat to much and affect "balence"

Round 6-10 NoS member-->NoS junior HC
Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Check out toastmonster.com for crazy illustrations and art
Unread 29 Apr 2005, 23:41   #15
Rocko

Quote:
another thing i wonder atm is... if i were to upgrade my Corsair Fi -> Cr would they become Corsair Co->Cr ? or would they become Cutlass Co->Fi ? and.. where do i get my anti Cr from then ?

and then if they become Corsair Co->Cr ----->> how do the stats improve on them? do they keep the same armour/cost and power/cost and go up 25% in price or something ????

Ermm,.. i thought i made it clear, obviously not,.. the idea was to upgrade one ship to another.
E.g a fighter to a Co
a harpy to a phoenix
it wouldnt be a crossbread or some strange mutation,, it would be one,.. and then upgraded to another,..
fine,.. dont like the idea, that's fine by me, im just throwing it out there for people to chew on or spit out, i don't care,... no need to be rude about it
:P
Unread 3 May 2005, 23:37   #16
Loz
Careless talk costs lives

Loz has a spectacular aura aboutLoz has a spectacular aura aboutLoz has a spectacular aura about

It all just seems too messy. I would support an idea to scrap your fleet and build again from scratch, but I really don't like upgrading.
[19:13] <Keglomaniac> whats wrong with our intel?
[19:13] <bos|takeaway> its a contradiction in terms
Unread 23 May 2005, 18:04   #17
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

Declined

Round 6-10 NoS member-->NoS junior HC
Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Check out toastmonster.com for crazy illustrations and art
Closed Thread