User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 30 Jan 2004, 18:02   #1
Dilly_D
Oh Canada!

Dilly_D is infamous around these partsDilly_D is infamous around these parts
how should I handle this?

I know it's silly to ask serious questions to GDers and expect serious answers...but, whatever..I'll ask anyways

Alright, one of my college profs is this like really fit bird right, and she's only 2 years older than me...and it's become apparent that she is 'diggin on me'. Also, valentine's day is comming up and were having this big valentine's day formal and she wants me to go with her as her date. So, would it be wrong for me to hook up with her...or is that like, not really a good idea seeing as she's like...my teacher?
Unread 30 Jan 2004, 18:04   #2
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend
Re: how should I handle this?

depends what the college rules are on teacher/student shagging
[20:27:47] <nodrog-aawy> **** i think my housemate just caught me masturbating
[11:25:32] <idimmu> you are a little piggy arent you
[13:17:00] <KaneED> i'm so closet i'm like narnia
Unread 30 Jan 2004, 18:09   #3
Dilly_D
Oh Canada!

well, the good thing is that she's only here for this year...she's filling in for another prof that's on sabbatical...so she'll be done in April. But, I don't think college really has rules on that sort of thing do they?
Unread 30 Jan 2004, 18:10   #4
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I reckon that if a teacher is found to have a relationship with one of his/her students, (s)he will be fired as it would lead to a conflict of interests (eg. her giving you good grades because you shag her). This rule is very likely to be in place in practically every college/university.

Either don't, or wait until she no longer is your teacher.
Unread 30 Jan 2004, 18:26   #5
Baron Morte
Blatantly overcooked

Baron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud of

"handle with care"

What do you mean "clear that she likes you"?
Unread 30 Jan 2004, 18:39   #6
Dilly_D
Oh Canada!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Morte
she's told a friend of mine, who is actually a mutual friend, but she (my teacher) didn't know that I also know this girl, that she digs on me...and I found out through this mutual friend. And actually, last night I was out with my prof and a 'date' i guess. We went out for 'a drink' after class (around 3pm), and ended up hanging out till around 9pm talking about everything and anything
Unread 30 Jan 2004, 18:41   #7
Aryn
Happy

Aryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond repute

bad idea. you're grades are on the line :\
also, yes she could be fired if the school found out.
if she's done in april, that's only a few months to wait.

ps.. i thought you said i was the one for you ;(
Unread 30 Jan 2004, 18:43   #8
at0mic.c0w
Käptn Karacho

at0mic.c0w is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Morte
asking him to be her date on valentine's day is quite obvious...

it's her buisness wether this is against the rules or not, you shouldn't worry about that if she doesn't. how do you feel about other students finding out about this tho ?
Unread 30 Jan 2004, 18:56   #9
acropolis
Vermin Supreme

acropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better place

where's she going when she's done?if you actually want a relationship with her, then i would say go ahead.

but if you are just looking for ass, it might save you some worrying to just buy a hooker.

plus everything atomic.cow said
acropolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Jan 2004, 19:01   #10
Dilly_D
Oh Canada!

Quote:
Originally Posted by at0mic.c0w
it's her buisness wether this is against the rules or not, you shouldn't worry about that if she doesn't. how do you feel about other students finding out about this tho ?
I don't care much if other students know cuz it's no secret that I'm smart I'm already an honours student...so if I got high marks in her class I don't think anyone would think twice about it...alot of the people in my class are actually encouraging me to hook up with her
Unread 30 Jan 2004, 19:08   #11
KraKto$is8
Lurker

KraKto$is8 is infamous around these parts

teacher's pet!

But seriously, some other teachers may be worried about the violation of the student/teacher relationship. Which could be bad. How about you wait?
Unread 30 Jan 2004, 19:12   #12
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Obviously it's fine.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Jan 2004, 19:12   #13
Deciduous

Deciduous is an unknown quantity at this point

It's not the opinion of the students you need to worry about, they don't have the ability to fire your teacher or remove your grades anyway :P
Deciduous is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Jan 2004, 19:15   #14
Lupin
I play the double-bass.

Lupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant future

what about your feelings about her?

you just wanna shag her or what?!

Charlie Mingus, such nimble fingers
Droppin the bass, all over the place
Lupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Jan 2004, 19:59   #15
Dilly_D
Oh Canada!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupin
what about your feelings about her?

you just wanna shag her or what?!
hmm...well, she's a cool chick man...beautiful, great sense of humour, smart...I just wonder what she'd want with a guy like me

as for shagging...well, take it as it comes I guess
Unread 30 Jan 2004, 20:16   #16
Lupin
I play the double-bass.

Lupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilly_D
hmm...well, she's a cool chick man...beautiful, great sense of humour, smart...I just wonder what she'd want with a guy like me
ask her after valentines day (and tell i am quite curious)

Charlie Mingus, such nimble fingers
Droppin the bass, all over the place
Lupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Jan 2004, 23:18   #17
Cynical Oracle
Poster Professionale

Cynical Oracle is just really niceCynical Oracle is just really niceCynical Oracle is just really niceCynical Oracle is just really nice

Quote:
she's told a friend of mine, who is actually a mutual friend, but she (my teacher) didn't know that I also know this girl, that she digs on me...and I found out through this mutual friend. And actually, last night I was out with my prof and a 'date' i guess. We went out for 'a drink' after class (around 3pm), and ended up hanging out till around 9pm talking about everything and anything
Woho! You actually fall for this?

She's playing you like the unsecure bitch you are. It's like 'go on go on, she lieks you n stuff'..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodrog
I wish we could trademark for a less shitty poster
hahahahahahaha, get it?
Cynical Oracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Jan 2004, 02:30   #18
IncubusGod
WANNASEEMYNEWCHAINSAW

IncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Go for it,you only live once.
Unread 31 Jan 2004, 02:41   #19
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IncubusGod
Go for it,you only live once.
Actually, he has a point.

Go for it. At the very least you'll be able to tell your grandchildren you've slept with your teacher
Unread 31 Jan 2004, 04:18   #20
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Tactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Exclamation Re: how should I handle this?

I'd have to question the judgment of any teacher who dates one of his/her students (or supervisor/employee for that matter). It may or may not be against school policy (it varies by school), but it's certainly not very professional.
The Ottawa Citizen and Southam News wish to apologize for our apology to Mark Steyn, published Oct. 22. In correcting the incorrect statements about Mr. Steyn published Oct. 15, we incorrectly published the incorrect correction. We accept and regret that our original regrets were unacceptable and we apologize to Mr. Steyn for any distress caused by our previous apology.
Tactitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Jan 2004, 09:08   #21
Dilly_D
Oh Canada!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactitus
I'd have to question the judgment of any teacher who dates one of his/her students (or supervisor/employee for that matter). It may or may not be against school policy (it varies by school), but it's certainly not very professional.
I see your point, but as I've said, she's only there for the 03-04 school year...our finals are done on April 23...at which time she's no longer a prof and she goes back to her real job, it's not like I'd really hook up with her till then, as it would be a total conflict of interest for both of us. But I don't really see any harm in being her date for the valentine's dance.
Unread 31 Jan 2004, 11:59   #22
madi
a little bit broken

madi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better place

no harm in the date? that kind of depends how much nakedness is involved at the end of it

that your whole class knows about this it gives me a very bad feeling
your place of education sounds far far to gossipy for the kind of thing that could ruin her career
Unread 31 Jan 2004, 16:58   #23
LHC
J to the C to the A G E

LHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet society

Well even if it is a problem, she'll be blamed. It shouldn't be a problem though.
LHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Jan 2004, 17:46   #24
Scoot951
Das Scoot

Scoot951 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deciduous
It's not the opinion of the students you need to worry about, they don't have the ability to fire your teacher or remove your grades anyway :P

You just know there's gonna be one prick who thinks it's putting the grade curve in danger or something and complain.

I'd say there's an excellent chance of her getting fired for this, but if she doesn't care, no probs.

I don't really know what I'm doing here
Scoot951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Jan 2004, 17:47   #25
Evergreen
the merciless

Evergreen is infamous around these partsEvergreen is infamous around these parts

She should know better if it carries any dangerous consequences for you, so bat for a homerun and see what happens.

<Jassy> aryn, how can u let ppl spread shit in this chan? ur not doing ur job properly if u let ppl spread shit
<Jassy> in real life sunday would be in court
<Jassy> i can get him glined
<Jassy> #feds are here to stamp out abuse

<mist|zZz> we don't do channel politics, /ignore is your friend
Evergreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Jan 2004, 22:48   #26
Jennifer
Destroyer of Worlds

Jennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet society

How can a Professor be only 2 years older than you? You study in America, presumably?
“In spite of the roaring of the young lions at the Union, and the screaming of the rabbits in the home of the vivisect, in spite of Keble College, and the tramways, and the sporting prints, Oxford still remains the most beautiful thing in England, and nowhere else are life and art so exquisitely blended, so perfectly made one.”
Jennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Jan 2004, 23:18   #27
Dilly_D
Oh Canada!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer
How can a Professor be only 2 years older than you? You study in America, presumably?
I'm in Canada...she's 27, I'm 25

/edit: she's a graduate of the program I'm in, and she has a degree in psychology as well. Also, she's teaching us a class on how the probation/parole system works, and she's been a probation/parole officer for 5 years...so she knows a thing or two about it. That's how she's a professor that's only 2 years older than me
Unread 1 Feb 2004, 00:51   #28
Bunkster

Bunkster is an unknown quantity at this point

Dude,

I think you should corn-hole her, take pictures during, and e-mail them to me so I can have a good wank0r.

That way, if there's any complications or awkwardness when it comes to grade time, you'll be sitting on a 4.0.
Bunkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Feb 2004, 01:02   #29
queball
Ball

queball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so little

When I visited the college I used to be at, one of the teachers gave me a hug. \o/
queball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Feb 2004, 01:08   #30
KoeN
Lucky
Helicopter Champion

KoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant future

lol this reminds me of of 'teacher porn' on the internet....some american pr0nactrice playing a french teacher but she's not able to pronounce the french words correctly. :P
hilarious!
KoeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Feb 2004, 01:45   #31
Knight Theamion
Miles Teg

Knight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

everything reminds you of porn

me too by the way

today i was at my gf's place and her mother had some music on and i almost said 'this reminds me of the bad german porn on sbs6 with the guy with the white tennissocks in it you used to watch when you were 15!'

almost
Unread 1 Feb 2004, 04:27   #32
roadrunner_0
cynic

roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
Obviously it's fine.
dane has the right of it, you should go for it mate, as she will know if there are any strict rules agains student/teacher relationships

and good luck
Unread 1 Feb 2004, 04:34   #33
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
it's certainly not very professional.
Oh please. This is not like a high school were there is some kind of guardian type relationship going on. These people are in ther mid-twenties for Christ's sake.

What's the problem? I understand there is an issue of grading, but in any half-decent institution any paper/work worth anything at all will be double/treble marked anyway.
Unread 1 Feb 2004, 04:36   #34
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
one of my college profs is this like really fit bird right
Quote:
she is 'diggin on me'.
Quote:
is that like, not really a good idea seeing as she's like...my teacher?

The English language is your friend!
Unread 1 Feb 2004, 06:05   #35
Dilly_D
Oh Canada!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomkat
The English language is your friend!
that is all in english my fireind, what's yo beef?

sometimes I find proper english to be far to shite to use, this was one of those times
Unread 1 Feb 2004, 07:32   #36
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Tactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Exclamation Re: how should I handle this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
Oh please. This is not like a high school were there is some kind of guardian type relationship going on. These people are in ther mid-twenties for Christ's sake.
I don't really see that age is the relevant issue here. The same issues come up between care-givers/patients, lawyers/clients, employers/employees, etc.
Quote:
What's the problem? I understand there is an issue of grading, but in any half-decent institution any paper/work worth anything at all will be double/treble marked anyway.
It is, as I said, not very professional. Most of the professional organizations to which academics belong have policy statements governing the actions of their members towards students, both in and out of the classroom. The reasons for these policies should be obvious. Inappropriate actions of professors towards students creates conflicts of interest and even where no actual conflict occurs there still can be the appearance of same. These can reflect poorly on the profession; ergo the policies.
The Ottawa Citizen and Southam News wish to apologize for our apology to Mark Steyn, published Oct. 22. In correcting the incorrect statements about Mr. Steyn published Oct. 15, we incorrectly published the incorrect correction. We accept and regret that our original regrets were unacceptable and we apologize to Mr. Steyn for any distress caused by our previous apology.
Tactitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Feb 2004, 13:53   #37
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
I don't really see that age is the relevant issue here.
It's relevent because with much younger students (e.g. children) there is an issue of trust/care/guardianship. This wouldn't apply in this case.

Quote:
The same issues come up between care-givers/patients, lawyers/clients, employers/employees, etc.
I'd have no problem with any of those people being in relationships. I'd have a problem with a Judge & defendent for instance (for obvious reasons) but otherwise I don't see the problem.

For instance, I'd imagine most people wouldn't have too much of a problem with an employer being good friends with his or her employees, so I don't see what difference screwing makes really.
Quote:
Inappropriate actions of professors towards students creates conflicts of interest and even where no actual conflict occurs there still can be the appearance of same.
I don't really see it as inappropriate, but I don't think the point of education is "grades" anyway so I guess I'd see it differently.