User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 4 Feb 2003, 18:53   #1
Idi

making a vcd/svcd that will work in a dvd player

Its my parents birthday soon, and as i am apparently going to get paid this week I was thinking about buying the folks a cheap dvd player, and burning all the films i have downloaded into a format so that they can watch them.

Does anyone know of any software to do this properly? Must of the stuff Im finding is vcd to div-x and not the other way round :/
Unread 4 Feb 2003, 18:57   #2
Idi

nm!

http://www.tmpgenc.net/e_main.html
http://www.dvdrhelp.com/tmpgencsvcd.htm
http://www.dvdrhelp.com/convert.htm

found \o/

(i put the results here cos i know others have asked the same question before and got no help other than '**** off to google scum!')
Unread 4 Feb 2003, 19:24   #3
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
If you want simplicity, Nero does VCDs - it automatically converts the file to the correct res and format. It won't do SVCDs without an addon tho.
If you're after an AVI splitter VirtualDub does the job quite well (and is free).

Unread 4 Feb 2003, 20:17   #4
Idi

its gonna take 4 hours per cd on my pc :/

i dont know if i love them that much
Unread 4 Feb 2003, 20:43   #5
Atamur
Ngisne

Atamur is an unknown quantity at this point
http://www.vcdhelp.com <-- everything you ever wanted to know about making vcd's but were afraid to ask.
Unread 4 Feb 2003, 21:19   #6
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Yep it does take ages.
It has to completely decompress the avi then recompress it into mpeg format - takes about an hour per film on my machine.
Due to the ammount of data being shifted it helps to have plenty of ram.

Unread 5 Feb 2003, 00:00   #7
MT
/dev/zero
Retired Mod

MT is an unknown quantity at this point
If you have MPEG2/SVCD encoded mpegs, Nero will happily create and burn a SVCD. What it wont do is re-encode to SVCD without a plugin.

<idimmu> ok i was chained to a desk with this oriental dude
MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Feb 2003, 00:14   #8
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

Sorry, that was what I meant.

Unread 5 Feb 2003, 12:03   #9
Idi

i tried it

i tried to make a family guy mpg that i could burn onto an svcd

but the audio was ****ed

and it took 4 hours

ill just buy them some dvds untill i can upgrade

pfft people should write tighter codecs!
Unread 5 Feb 2003, 17:55   #10
MT
/dev/zero
Retired Mod

MT is an unknown quantity at this point
all the family guy i had (every episode) was already in SVCD format.

<idimmu> ok i was chained to a desk with this oriental dude
MT is offline   Reply With Quote