User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 11 Apr 2005, 10:02   #1
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend
I'm such a dumb ****

I just had a private meeting with my boss that was supposed to be about a new software package.
He opened the meeting with: "I have the feeling you're looking for a new job... are you?"
Me: "Euh... well... euh... let's put it this way... if someone offers me a dream-job, I'd be stupid not to accept the offer"
Him: "So, you're not happy here?"
Me: "I didn't say that, I have a dream and want to chase that."
Him: "So I guess if you get offered another job you'll leave this place"
Me: "..."

<insert convo>

So, the result is, I won't be offered a contract for undefined time in October, at most another year-contract.
He did tell me he is satisfied with the job I do, and he would have liked me staying.

I could smack myself in the face. It's not normal for me to give such a straight answer to such questions.
My mother was right again though, I'm too honest for my own good.
Unread 11 Apr 2005, 10:03   #2
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: I'm such a dumb ****

Do you like your job?
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Apr 2005, 10:09   #3
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend

No, but that's another story.
Unread 11 Apr 2005, 10:25   #4
Ste
Bored

Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

well, motivation to actually look for a new one.
perfect.

yeh so Plastic Brilliance is now known as FOXYSTOAT - Come on by and check it out!
Ste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Apr 2005, 10:38   #5
Stew
Made of Twigs

Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

When he asked are you not happy here, THATS when you should have been honest.
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Apr 2005, 10:43   #6
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew
When he asked are you not happy here, THATS when you should have been honest.

Are you my boss?

Stew?

OMG!!!!
Unread 11 Apr 2005, 10:44   #7
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

If your contract isn't going to renewed I'd personally say to him that the reason you'd look for another job. So say to him "Yeah I'm very happy here, but when I said I would accept another job it was because I really need more money to cover my current financial expenses".

Or something.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Apr 2005, 11:23   #8
Stew
Made of Twigs

Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Structural Integrity

Are you my boss?

Stew?

OMG!!!!
Get back to work.
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Apr 2005, 11:39   #9
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew
Get back to work.
YES SIR BOSS!!!
Unread 11 Apr 2005, 12:28   #10
Lupin
I play the double-bass.

Lupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant future

i honestly can't see that you did something what could decrease your situation.

if he is satisfied with your work and you'll make him believe that you decided to absolutley want to stay there for another year, i doubt he will say "no".

and dante's suggestion sounds pretty good too. it just needs a bit of blah blah

Charlie Mingus, such nimble fingers
Droppin the bass, all over the place
Lupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Apr 2005, 12:38   #11
KoeN
Lucky
Helicopter Champion

KoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant future

how does your boss suspect you're searching for another job?
KoeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Apr 2005, 12:47   #12
Dace
so f*cking zen

Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

The fact that SI surfs job sites on the net all day tipped him off?!
Unread 11 Apr 2005, 13:14   #13
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoeN
how does your boss suspect you're searching for another job?
I didn't ask him directly, but he said something about updates not being as frequent anymore as they used to be. It's true, but only because bugs recently have been quite complex.
But to be honest, I don't really care. He's been browsing my PC in the weekend (file history was empty, quicklaunch-bar was different), but there's nothing here that could have given him a hunch. I keep work and private projects/documents strictly separated. It's not like I'm extensively going to do anything private under work-time.
Or he must be browsing these forums where I occasionally vented that I could think of a better job (understatement, I know).
Unread 11 Apr 2005, 13:18   #14
Cooling
Tilting at windmills

Cooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Sounds more like one of those contrived management conversations where they already have the desired result worked out in their heads and ask you a bunch of loaded or leading questions until they finally break you.

The consolation is that the end result would have been the same nomatter what you had said.
Cooling is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Apr 2005, 13:37   #15
KoeN
Lucky
Helicopter Champion

KoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant future

Quote:
Or he must be browsing these forums where I occasionally vented that I could think of a better job (understatement, I know).
does he know YOU are 'structural integrity'.
that account could have been me aswell you know. or theam. or rr. or dace. or jakiri. or JJ.
KoeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Apr 2005, 13:41   #16
Radical Edward

Radical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriend

answer:

no, but if someone pays me a million pounds an hour to sleep with fit women, I'm not going to turn them down.

ok 3..... 2..... 1.. let's jam
Radical Edward is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Apr 2005, 14:25   #17
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooling
Sounds more like one of those contrived management conversations where they already have the desired result worked out in their heads and ask you a bunch of loaded or leading questions until they finally break you.

The consolation is that the end result would have been the same nomatter what you had said.
The thing is he opened with that line. There was no breaking involved. Also, I'm the only software person here, so I doubt he wants me gone or has something worked out. Although I could be naive in that. My mother is a wise woman, and besides telling me that I'm too honest for my own good, she also tells me everyone is replacable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoeN
does he know YOU are 'structural integrity'.
that account could have been me aswell you know. or theam. or rr. or dace. or jakiri. or JJ.
No... Yes... knowing that I sent my sollicitation letter using an email account that contains the first half of my handle. I'd be smart enough to find out. Surely he'll be too. He'd have to some fine searching though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical Edward
answer:

no, but if someone pays me a million pounds an hour to sleep with fit women, I'm not going to turn them down.
Answer to what?
But that's what I thought too... if I happen to come across my dream-job, then what does he expect? Me to turn it down? I asked him that too BTW, which was countered with a "aren't you happy here?"-question.
Unread 11 Apr 2005, 15:21   #18
Androme
☆ ♥ 

Androme can only hope to improve

Quote:
But that's what I thought too... if I happen to come across my dream-job, then what does he expect? Me to turn it down? I asked him that too BTW, which was countered with a "aren't you happy here?"-question.
You should have replied with various answers that doesn't answer the question at all but turns it around like he has done - if he doesn't want to answer your questions, why you answer his? (even if he is the boss) - you're employed for what you do, not what you think, so this shouldn't dress a concern for job prospects. Don't let him make you feel bad because he's more than likely to be in the same boat as you are but he's one-step above you so doesn't really need to worry about whether he likes his job or not etc.

Perhaps the convo could have gone around:

He opened the meeting with: "I have the feeling you're looking for a new job... are you?"
Me: "I'm not looking, I've been offered a role in a Hollywood movie"
Him: "So, you're not happy here?"
Me: "No I hate it" <-- say it sarcastically though with a smile on your face although this could have backfired if he doesn't have a sense of humour or get on that you're joking (although you're not joking)
Him: "So I guess if you get offered another job you'll leave this place"
Me: "The only thing that would lure be away would be Mr. Kippling cakes... Apple Tarlettes are supwerb!"
R3: LegioN (came #32) || R4: BlueTuba
R5: WolfPack Order || R6: Wolfpack
R7: Fury
----------retired-------
R52-R55: Apprime
R56-R57: FaceLess
R58-60: Apprime/Ultores
Androme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Apr 2005, 16:22   #19
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Sadly I'm not that sharp in real-life conversations, but I'll try to meet him with a load of cynicism and sarcasm the next time he brings it up.
Unread 11 Apr 2005, 21:04   #20
Yahwe
I am.

Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I hope he browses these forums and notices the numerous times I have pointed out that you should be sacked for laziness, time wastingt and incompetence.
Unread 11 Apr 2005, 21:50   #21
Cooling
Tilting at windmills

Cooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

The only reason that I can think of for a manager to use such a line of questioning is in order to a) get you to admit that you are or would consider looking elsewhere. Or b) use your negative answers to segway into a discussion of "things I've noticed about your motivation lately" or some other trite nonsense.

The end result generally being the same.
Cooling is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Apr 2005, 08:42   #22
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahwe
I hope he browses these forums and notices the numerous times I have pointed out that you should be sacked for laziness, time wastingt and incompetence.
I hope you die of aids.
Unread 12 Apr 2005, 15:05   #23
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupin
i honestly can't see that you did something what could decrease your situation.
You're not adding in the "his boss is likely to be a dick" factor

Believe in me, cause i don't believe in anything
And i wanna be someone, to believe, to believe in
Deffeh is offline   Reply With Quote