User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Alliance Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 3 Jul 2003, 03:15   #1
Naris
Aesir [Founder]

Naris is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Planetarion and round 10 features. Views mainly around the Alliance concept.

http://main.planetarion.com/portal/n...on&section=r10

Welcome
Posted by A2 at 10:41 on Monday 28th April 2003
The time has come to reveal some of the new features, some of that changes, and some of the major impacts the rewrite of Planetarion will have.

My personal views, opinions around several rnd 10 issues are plain and simple.

*1. Too MUCH changes from 1 round to another.

Advice: Alter the game alot more "slower" with new Ideas and Colour.

*2. AH is, well a nice feature for new alliances in pa, or those who play mainly for fun about the tag ranking.
While others don`t use it, the most experienced alliances that is, because of the security issue and own homepages, design etc.
In fact it`s very important for any alliances who like to keep things HIDDEN long as possible in a p2p round.

*3. Completely new ships, small,medium and large, some mention even that no formulas will be given out in public?.
I`ll say that half of the fun is to use the b.calc, when u are planing an attack some hours before a launch.
And not to mention if a Bc shall try to rescue their fellow "Alliance Members" without a handy b.calc.?.

*4. Those Alliances who already got a very large quality and not at least active memberlist, will get a HUGE advantage compare to other p2p rounds in pa. I`ll bet ten cent that one round will last alot shorter than usual with these major impacts of a completely new stratetic game of pa.
"If there are no initiative on the new ships in rnd 10."

*5 Ancient games like "Chess" etc. seldom alter at all, which make the game unique for millions of ppl.

Advice: Planetarion is an unique and almost perfect strategic space war game which are on-going 24/7 7 days a week.

"please dont change the game in that degree so ppl are not familier to the same game they have enjoyed for so many rounds.
Changes are good, changes are needed, but at least consider new ideas very carefully."
Round 8 Plushlab,Adelante,Nos
Round 9.5 Aesir Hc.
Round 10. Aesir Hc.
Public Channel #Aesir {Guild of the "Blue Wheel alliance party"}
----------------------------------------
http://aesir.rizzo-online.com/
Naris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jul 2003, 09:34   #2
Hicks
Raaaaaaaah!

Hicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Re: Planetarion and round 10 features. Views mainly around the Alliance concept.

Quote:
Originally posted by Naris
Please dont change the game in that degree so ppl are not familier to the same game they have enjoyed for so many rounds.
Changes are good, changes are needed, but at least consider new ideas very carefully.
Couldn't have said it better. Unfortunately it seems it's already too late.
Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jul 2003, 09:56   #3
Gerbie
pe0n

Gerbie is an unknown quantity at this point
Everything you change affects the rest of the game. There were some problems to be fixed, the underlying code had to be rewritten. Best is to do it all at once. That also means you only have to advertise it once.
round 7 noob: rank 6.198 25:20:25 - VoC member
round 8 noob: rank 4.112 7:2:3 - TFD member
round 9 rank 941 23:1:9 - TFD HC
round 9.5 rank 860 22:7:3 - TFD HC
round 10: rank unknown (was #1 for a while) 5:2:5 - Vengeance pe0n
round 10.5: rank 683 19:10:2 - VGN member
round 11: rank 138 8:8:4 - VsN member
round 12: rank 515 - VGN 'special attack officer' -> jumped ship to Rock
round 13: rank 85: NoS
Gerbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jul 2003, 10:33   #4
Morden
The Face Of Evil

Morden is a splendid one to beholdMorden is a splendid one to beholdMorden is a splendid one to beholdMorden is a splendid one to beholdMorden is a splendid one to beholdMorden is a splendid one to beholdMorden is a splendid one to beholdMorden is a splendid one to behold
well at the end of the day, its the end result that counts.

pa in its current form is not very open or warm for new players, part of that is down to us, part of that was down to the game mechanics.

and in jolt and i suspect the creators eye's they arent bothered who plays the game as long as more people pay to play it, so it wouldnt be a big loss for most of the hardcore players who play currently to leave, and be replaced by more docile new players.

btw, I think you are very wrong about how long wars will last in round 10.

Put it this way; you wont be able to shoot off in the lead score wise(game mechanics) this will mean that the playing feild between the hardcore and the lightweights is much more level, and thus even if your winning a war, you cant grow that much faster than the people your beating, coupled with the fact that it will be easier to rebuild.....

will mean that wars in round 10 will be rather dull and tedious and end with most of the command teams of alliances burning out and quiting the game.

TBH some of the changes will do the game a lot of good, but they havent been balanced as well as needed imho, theres nothing wrong with making it easier for new players, but its damned pathetic to not reward active players for there activity.

::EDIT:: and unless things have changed from the last i saw, killing people isnt going to be easy mainly due to the amount of time you can attack for, or is everyone assuming that its the same boring 3 tick attacks?

Last edited by Morden; 3 Jul 2003 at 10:38.
Morden is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jul 2003, 10:41   #5
Gerbie
pe0n

Gerbie is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Morden
::EDIT:: and unless things have changed from the last i saw, killing people isnt going to be easy mainly due to the amount of time you can attack for, or is everyone assuming that its the same boring 3 tick attacks?
I asume it will be different per fleet or player.
round 7 noob: rank 6.198 25:20:25 - VoC member
round 8 noob: rank 4.112 7:2:3 - TFD member
round 9 rank 941 23:1:9 - TFD HC
round 9.5 rank 860 22:7:3 - TFD HC
round 10: rank unknown (was #1 for a while) 5:2:5 - Vengeance pe0n
round 10.5: rank 683 19:10:2 - VGN member
round 11: rank 138 8:8:4 - VsN member
round 12: rank 515 - VGN 'special attack officer' -> jumped ship to Rock
round 13: rank 85: NoS
Gerbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jul 2003, 12:23   #6
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
I reserve judgement until the beta.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jul 2003, 17:15   #7
Aryn
Happy

Aryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond repute
why do people assume they're going to hate this game?
Unread 3 Jul 2003, 17:27   #8
HobbieRogue4
etc.

HobbieRogue4 has a spectacular aura aboutHobbieRogue4 has a spectacular aura aboutHobbieRogue4 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally posted by MrL_JaKiri
I reserve judgement until the beta.
Why? Everyone knows the 'Spinner observed Beta' is a crock and subject to constant and 'un-/ill-advised modifications' to the game thereafter.

At first I'd say you would be exposed to "Round 10 graphics" but then I realized that even those tend to change...
Unread 3 Jul 2003, 18:05   #9
Jackal2112

Jackal2112 is infamous around these partsJackal2112 is infamous around these parts
From what I have seen and read about Round 10 I must say I am impressed.

If changes are to slow it's not worth waiting, I mean a round lasts already way to long so if things don't change more drastically it will just become a drag.

Since I am rather progressive, BRING ON THE CHANGES!!!
Unread 3 Jul 2003, 23:26   #10
Scouse
[F.E.A.R.]

Scouse is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Aryn
why do people assume they're going to hate this game?
For the same reason they usually hate every other PA clone.

It's not the game they've played and loved. Some for over 3 years.
"And when people tell me what is ok and what is not it should not be an unexpected scene seeing I extend my middle right hand digit and say: 'Eyy, would you like lemon or lime with that piece of advice, mister?'"

Funny Film Reviews :: SWOS
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Jul 2003, 03:40   #11
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
I agree with Aryn. People should stop being so nostalgic, and stubborn about this.

The Planetarion Creators are simply trying to reposition their product into a new market.

<business terms>
It was a cash cow, sure. When people loved it and it had massive popularity. Since p2p though, it has drifted into the "dog" section of the Boston Matrix. This basically means the demand is going down, and will continue to do so.
</business terms>

If it stays where it is (game stays the same) then demand is going to get lower and lower.
They need to make this risk, otherwise PA will die.

Sure, it will attract new people. If we give it a chance, we might like it as well though. It's not fair to say the game will be crap, before we have even played it.
Unread 5 Jul 2003, 04:04   #12
Naris
Aesir [Founder]

Quote:
Originally posted by Tomkat
I agree with Aryn. People should stop being so nostalgic, and stubborn about this.

The Planetarion Creators are simply trying to reposition their product into a new market.

Sure, it will attract new people. If we give it a chance, we might like it as well though. It's not fair to say the game will be crap, before we have even played it.
- I said, Ì am only a tad {worried}..

I never used the word "crap,hate" etc.

Spinner did he ever mention a word about a B.Calc in rnd 10 of pa ?..
Round 9.5 Aesir Hc.
Round 10. Aesir Hc.
Unread 5 Jul 2003, 17:00   #13
DrunkenViking
Retard0r

DrunkenViking has much to be proud ofDrunkenViking has much to be proud ofDrunkenViking has much to be proud ofDrunkenViking has much to be proud ofDrunkenViking has much to be proud ofDrunkenViking has much to be proud ofDrunkenViking has much to be proud ofDrunkenViking has much to be proud ofDrunkenViking has much to be proud of
My idea would be to create a round 9.75 where you bring back the ships and stats from round 4(the funniest round i ever played) and ofcourse make that one free aswell.... But nothing like that will ever happend.

* We do not exist *

* G-II * NoS * VsN * Ascendancy * Osiris * xVx * Ultores *

DrunkenViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Jul 2003, 17:11   #14
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by DrunkenViking
My idea would be to create a round 9.75 where you bring back the ships and stats from round 4(the funniest round i ever played) and ofcourse make that one free aswell.... But nothing like that will ever happend.
This is why you're not running an online game.
Unread 5 Jul 2003, 17:13   #15
JC
lolly roffle

JC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Re: Planetarion and round 10 features. Views mainly around the Alliance concept.

Quote:
Originally posted by Naris

*1. Too MUCH changes from 1 round to another.
PA has been losing players consistantly for every round since r4, at the rate it is going PA will be dead soon, so drastic changes are needed if PA is to survive and grow with an influx of new players.
Quote:

*3. Completely new ships, small,medium and large, some mention even that no formulas will be given out in public?.
I`ll say that half of the fun is to use the b.calc, when u are planing an attack some hours before a launch.
And not to mention if a Bc shall try to rescue their fellow "Alliance Members" without a handy b.calc.?.
Imo one of the probles with PA is that you know exactly what is going to happen 3 or 4 ticks before it actually does. You scan planets and know precisely what they have, you then stick all the info in a battle calc and it will tell you whether its worth attacking or not. This ruins a lot of the fun for me as there is no element of suspense or surprise when you attack or defend a planet.
Quote:

*4. Those Alliances who already got a very large quality and not at least active memberlist, will get a HUGE advantage compare to other p2p rounds in pa. I`ll bet ten cent that one round will last alot shorter than usual with these major impacts of a completely new stratetic game of pa.
"If there are no initiative on the new ships in rnd 10."
You cant be too confident of that happening if you only bet 10 cent. Why not wait for the beta before stating things that have no facts to back them up.
Quote:

*5 Ancient games like "Chess" etc. seldom alter at all, which make the game unique for millions of ppl.

Advice: Planetarion is an unique and almost perfect strategic space war game which are on-going 24/7 7 days a week.
As i said before, PA is stagnating as a game and people leave in droves every round, without change and hopefully the influx of new players this will bring there wont be a r11 and onwards.
Unread 5 Jul 2003, 19:46   #16
Naris
Aesir [Founder]

Re: Re: Planetarion and round 10 features. Views mainly around the Alliance concept.

Quote:
Originally posted by JC
You cant be too confident of that happening if you only bet 10 cent. Why not wait for the beta before stating things that have no facts to back them up.

As i said before, PA is stagnating as a game and people leave in droves every round, without change and hopefully the influx of new players this will bring there wont be a r11 and onwards.
I know, it was only my thoughts. And I hope it will be great fun.
Round 9.5 Aesir Hc.
Round 10. Aesir Hc.
Unread 6 Jul 2003, 04:12   #17
AlbinoSquirrel
power of evil

AlbinoSquirrel is an unknown quantity at this point
Saying there's been too many changes between the rounds is utterly false.

There have been 8.5 rounds that have all been the same. The only round that has SUBSTANTIALLY differed from any other round is Round 2. Why?

How do you grow in score? You roid. That's the only way you are able to grow now. You get roids to increase your resource production. It was that way in R1. In R3. In R4, 5,6,7,8,9, and now 9.5.

In R2, you were able to grow in two ways - roiding, and fleetstealing. You can't grow via fleetstealing anymore, even with Ziks - there may be some way to do it if you coordinate fleet captures very precisely, but it would be very unreliable.

There was another way to grow, using cargoships to steal resources wholesale, but that was clamped down on too.

The only changes have been cosmetic. The core growth factor of the game has NEVER changed, except for once. That is a major, MAJOR reason this game has grown so stale. It's BORING to simply roid, day after day. It's just a force of habit.

I hope they do radically change the game, for their sake. But if the core remains the same...PA will fail after round 10 or maybe 11. Mark my words

&Omega;
AlbinoSquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Jul 2003, 04:55   #18
Biggdogg
Grand Poobah

Biggdogg is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by AlbinoSquirrel
Chitter
http://www.chickenchow.com/store.cfm?id=87&m=f&s=i&p=87

:/
Biggdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Jul 2003, 05:06   #19
AlbinoSquirrel
power of evil

Quote:
Originally posted by Biggdogg
http://www.chickenchow.com/store.cfm?id=87&m=f&s=i&p=87
HERESY

BLASPHEMY

where the hell do you find this stuff? I'm tempted to get one :\

&Omega;
Unread 6 Jul 2003, 06:37   #20
Scoot951
Das Scoot

Scoot951 is an unknown quantity at this point
Anyone who thinks PA changes too fast.....words fail me here. I could sit a rock on a table and it would change more than PA has. I simply cannot comprehend the mindset of someone who cannot handle the superfical detail differences of one round to another.

PA has been the exact same game since it started, and that's why there's only around 2k people willing to pay for it now.

I don't really know what I'm doing here
Scoot951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Jul 2003, 08:39   #21
Naris
Aesir [Founder]

ok

Quote:
Originally posted by Scoot951
Anyone who thinks PA changes too fast.....words fail me here. I could sit a rock on a table and it would change more than PA has. I simply cannot comprehend the mindset of someone who cannot handle the superfical detail differences of one round to another.

PA has been the exact same game since it started, and that's why there's only around 2k people willing to pay for it now.
Alright thanks for your opinion, I mainly put the thread down here because I was not part of the alliance council earlier...

I`m also sure 2k more ppl felt the same, however do you not think there are other major reasons, than just a few changes game wise that ppl leaves in droves each rnd.

*Advertisement

Might be a key issue here even
Round 9.5 Aesir Hc.
Round 10. Aesir Hc.
Unread 6 Jul 2003, 11:21   #22
Jackal2112

Jackal2112 is infamous around these partsJackal2112 is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally posted by Tomkat

Totally agree!
Unread 6 Jul 2003, 16:25   #23
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Saying there's been too many changes between the rounds is utterly false.
Agreed.

I think the changes to PA either need to be minor (i.e. adjusting cap rates, ship stats, that sort of thing) - to keep the faithful happy, or change the whole damn game dramatically.

I fear the changes they make will fall akwardly between the two. It's going to upset people who enjoy aspect X of the game presently, but it's not going to bring anyone new in.

I think part of the problem lies is that people are so used to the game that their idea of a dramatic new idea is a new class of ship, or making ships fire twice per combat or something inane. Changing the game dramatically as you say could involve changing the resource dynamic completley (e.g. trade or something) or it could even involve some entirely new aspect of the game (like colonising or somesuch)

PA has done well to keep people's attention this long - I didn't even play Civ/Civ2/Alpha Centauri combined for this long, and with respect they were better games.

I fully expect Round 10 to be Round 3/4/5/6/etc with bells on. I hope I'm wrong.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Jul 2003, 16:42   #24
JC
lolly roffle

JC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Quote:
Originally posted by Dante Hicks

I fully expect Round 10 to be Round 3/4/5/6/etc with bells on.
Have you read the info on r10??

Whether or not it will be good is to be seen, but it will certainly be different from any previous rounds.
Unread 6 Jul 2003, 16:57   #25
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by JC
Whether or not it will be good is to be seen, but it will certainly be different from any previous rounds.
That'll be the bells.
Unread 6 Jul 2003, 18:15   #26
AlbinoSquirrel
power of evil

Quote:
Originally posted by JC

Different topping maybe, but will it still be the plain old vanilla ice cream underneath?

You can cover it with chocolate syrup, sprinkles, cherries, nuts, whatever you like. It's still plain underneath. Unless there's a radical change to how players can grow in the game, it's the same old PA with different bells and whistles.

&Omega;
Unread 6 Jul 2003, 18:42   #27
JC
lolly roffle

Quote:
Unless there's a radical change to how players can grow in the game, it's the same old PA with different bells and whistles.
So you want to get rid of roids?

They might as well just make a completely new game and call it something different.
Unread 6 Jul 2003, 19:39   #28
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
Originally posted by JC
They might as well just make a completely new game and call it something different.
This is why I think PA is ultimately doomed.

Change you say? OMG, let's disband!

(Having said that, there's no reason to abolish roids completley)
Unread 6 Jul 2003, 21:11   #29
ComradeRob
wasted

ComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriend
PA is a victim of its own past success. The original PA formula really did work. It had its flaws, but 180,000 players (give or take a few multies ) can't have been wrong.

However, since that time PA has been stuck in a timewarp. Other, better games have come along. Games which offer more features, different gameplay aspects, and generally do not suffer from the inherent problems that have plagued PA.

PA still works as a free game. R9.5 has been fun, but it's really not something that people can be reasonably expected to pay for any more. So, either r10 really improves the game, or the game will finally shuffle off into the history books, from where it earned a reprieve under the new ownership of SimTech/Jolt.

I actually think that the fundamental thing that the creators need to worry about is fun. The slavish loyalty to the old PA formula has seen the game go through various design contortions in an attempt to balance the fun aspect against the perceived 'unfairness' of the game. The end result is a game which has had many of its more fun features stripped out in the name of 'balance', and all manner of new limits added which, while making the game marginally better for some have made the game much less enjoyable for a great many more.

If r10 is fun, I don't think anyone will care if it's a totally different game. I think that if the creators have made any mistake it is that they have tried to preserve too much of the old gameplay style, instead of branching off into something radically new. Many of the people in the current PA community came here from other games, and are simply people who enjoy playing online games, particularly in a multiplayer/team environment. It doesn't have to be exactly like PA to get us hooked. A revolutionary new space strategy game would, in my opinion, be more likely to attract existing and new customers than an update of the same old formula.
“They were totally confused,” said the birdman, whose flying suit gives him a passing resemblance to Buzz Lightyear in Toy Story. “The authorities said that I was an unregistered aircraft and to fly, you need a licence. I told them, ‘No. To fly, you need wings’.”
ComradeRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Jul 2003, 21:19   #30
Scoot951
Das Scoot

Scoot951 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by JC

They should.

I don't really know what I'm doing here
Scoot951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Jul 2003, 02:42   #31
AlbinoSquirrel
power of evil

Quote:
Originally posted by JC

Where the hell did you get that from? That's completely idiotic. No, I don't want to get rid of roids, you utter nimrod. I want something ADDED, something new, something different. Otherwise it's the same old **** in a different can.

&Omega;
Unread 7 Jul 2003, 12:31   #32
JC
lolly roffle

Dont get your knickers in a twist i was only asking a question.

You said...

Quote:
Unless there's a radical change to how players can grow in the game
Now atm PA players grow by collecting roids. I presumed by you saying you want this radically changed you may have meant getting rid of roids, but obviously you didnt, my fault for not being a mind reader.
Unread 7 Jul 2003, 13:22   #33
Hicks
Raaaaaaaah!

Hicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Quote:
Originally posted by JC
Dont get your knickers in a twist i was only asking a question.

You said...

Now atm PA players grow by collecting roids. I presumed by you saying you want this radically changed you may have meant getting rid of roids, but obviously you didnt, my fault for not being a mind reader.
I think he was angling at the removal of exponential growth, which is the biggest flaw in Planetarion game design. The bigger planets grow more quickly and there's very little that smaller planets can do to catch up.

There should be some form of catch up effect where players with less asteroids get more resources from them.
Unread 7 Jul 2003, 13:25   #34
Dreadnought

Quote:
Originally posted by Hicks
I think he was angling at the removal of exponential growth, which is the biggest flaw in Planetarion game design. The bigger planets grow more quickly and there's very little that smaller planets can do to catch up.

There should be some form of catch up effect where players with less asteroids get more resources from them.
kind of like in a race came if ur behind you move faster to catch up
Unread 7 Jul 2003, 13:30   #35
Hicks
Raaaaaaaah!

More like the way poor countries are able to grow more quickly than rich countries with a similar capital investment. But yea yours works to
Unread 7 Jul 2003, 13:32   #36
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

There is something in r10 which may well help.