User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 3 Jul 2004, 20:16   #1
Androme
☆ ♥ 

Androme can only hope to improve
Mac & PC Networking

Well i'm thinking about how to network this when I buy a mac...

I was wondering how to set up a TCP/IP network. Should I run out a line from my D-LINK router into the AIRPORT base then use it wirelessly or will I have to use a device to make my cable modem's line split in half - one line to my D-LINK the other to an AIRPORT? Also, is it possible that I just add the AIRPORT wireless card to a ibook or powerbook and it will work with my D-LINK?

I have 2 PC desktops (one is using a wireless card the other one is hooked up directly to the router (these work on a TCP/IP network already)) and I will be adding 1 powerbook or 1 ibook.

I'm not very good with networking or hardware but if you use simple terms I'll be able to understand.
R3: LegioN (came #32) || R4: BlueTuba
R5: WolfPack Order || R6: Wolfpack
R7: Fury
----------retired-------
R52-R55: Apprime
R56-R57: FaceLess
R58-60: Apprime/Ultores
Androme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Jul 2004, 16:22   #2
JetLinus
Friendly geek of GD :-/

JetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud of
Arrow Re: Mac & PC Networking

Although I habe no idea, what the "AIRTPORT BASE" is, and if it's an accesspoint or whatever, I'd suggest to connect the D-Link router to the cable modem FIRST.
For security reasons etc. Also, how would you connect the router to the airport thingy anyway? It only works the other way round imo.

Well, so:
  1. CableModem connected to D-Link Router
  2. D-Link Router connected to AIRPORT thingy.
  3. Set DHCP of the router to ACTIVATED preferrably.
  4. Set up a filter, so that the MAC adress of the aiport thing matches, and that the router will assign a constant IP to it everytime (D-Link calls it "Static DHCP" I think).
  5. Try your best to get everything working from there.
I'm not sure if you REALLY nead that static DHCP thing, but it's nice.
Unread 4 Jul 2004, 17:47   #3
Androme
☆ ♥ 

Re: Mac & PC Networking

Ah - thanks Jet

The Airport is something on the Mac.
----------retired-------
Unread 5 Jul 2004, 12:56   #4
flapjack
crashed computer

flapjack is infamous around these parts

if the airport thing is WiFi based, it should work with any other Wifi access point, both the 11 and the 56mbit versions.
Do however turn on WEP/WPA and you might need some programs for your mac computer in order for it to be able to communicate with the windows computers, but I don't know much about macintosh computers.

<Gryffin> ungrateful wretches
<Gryffin> they should be here!
<Gryffin> so I can grace them with my presence
flapjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Jul 2004, 14:09   #5
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Tactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Exclamation Re: Mac & PC Networking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Androme2
Well i'm thinking about how to network this when I buy a mac...

I was wondering how to set up a TCP/IP network. Should I run out a line from my D-LINK router into the AIRPORT base then use it wirelessly
Yes, that would work.
Quote:
or will I have to use a device to make my cable modem's line split in half - one line to my D-LINK the other to an AIRPORT? Also, is it possible that I just add the AIRPORT wireless card to a ibook or powerbook and it will work with my D-LINK?
Is your D-LINK router a wireless router? If so, yes; that would work too. You don't need to have two wireless routers.
The Ottawa Citizen and Southam News wish to apologize for our apology to Mark Steyn, published Oct. 22. In correcting the incorrect statements about Mr. Steyn published Oct. 15, we incorrectly published the incorrect correction. We accept and regret that our original regrets were unacceptable and we apologize to Mr. Steyn for any distress caused by our previous apology.
Tactitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Jul 2004, 15:47   #6
Androme
☆ ♥ 

It's a wireless router yes - thanks
----------retired-------
Unread 5 Jul 2004, 16:28   #7
JetLinus

JetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud of
Arrow Re: Mac & PC Networking

Oh alright then, didn't consider this wireless router alternative... So, well. Whatever, 'nuff said.

And still: If you configure DHCP to assign certain network cards always the same "dynamic ip address", you can identify the PCs inside your network easily, and set up rules for port forwarding (needed for stuff like battle.net)

And YES, DO activate the WEP encryption, you don't want to be one of the 50% open wireless hosts, do you?
Unread 5 Jul 2004, 16:46   #8
flapjack
crashed computer

50%? lol, it's like 75% around these parts. Within 1km of where I live are at least 18 Wlans, with only 4!!! (excluding my own) protected by WEP/WPA, the others are completely open.

Oh and you can setup port forwarding with your computer name, so it doesn't matter if your IP changes.
On a small network however, you'd probably be best off manually setting your IPs and banning all other IPs from your LAN. Simple yet effective

Unread 11 Jul 2004, 23:13   #9
Madina
TashTastic

Madina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetLinus
And YES, DO activate the WEP encryption, you don't want to be one of the 50% open wireless hosts, do you?
when using the WEP i couldnt get this comp to connect to my router, so what i did was set the router to only accept certain connections from specific MAC addresses - do you know if this is secure?
Unread 12 Jul 2004, 00:23   #10
JetLinus

Hmm, sounds ok. Although it's 2 different things: This MAC filter ensures only the authentication process, but not data integrity and sensibility.
Maybe other people could read / log your network traffic, or maybe even change it.

I have no REAL idea if potential hackers look for this sort of "security" and try to spoof MAC adresses. I mean, if they know what method you use (like I do now), they could (easily?) try to break it.

Apart from that, WEP isn't REAL security as well. I think you need to sniff some traffic (100MB? 1GB?), and analyze it, to passively get the encryption key.

Well, at least your accesspoint is not OPEN anymore, and it will certainly stop anyone else from using your internet (and see your shares hopefully). So, hmm, seems enough.
Unread 12 Jul 2004, 02:16   #11
mist
Jolt's best friend

mist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to all

wep lasts about 15 minutes on 11mbit, apparently - hence the whole china demanding that anyone importing wifi stuff uses their encryption standard instead.

however, if it's going to take 15 minutes to access your wifi, as opposed to no time to access the one down the street, odds are you'll be safe

-mist
mist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Jul 2004, 11:45   #12
flapjack
crashed computer

WEP 64 bits last about 15 minutes. WEP at 128 bit lasts several hours, WEP at 256 bit will last for an undetermined length of time (I have yet to get through it, using an 11mbit Wlan and a P4 2.4ghz for the cracking.)

most producers of Wlan equipments however are already featuring firmware updates to allow for WPA, which is deemed uncrackable provided you use a decently lengthy key.

Oh and for Linux computers, it's a piece of cake to fake a MAC adress and it's even easier to see exactly which MAC adresses are around, so just your MAC filtering is no garantue for anything