User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 26 Oct 2004, 12:57   #1
vampire_lestat
Mathamagician

vampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet society
Using brackets

I'm making what is, essentially, a calculator in visual basic (i know, it should be in a proper language, but i cant be bothered to learn one), and I can't for the life of me work out how I could implement brackets into it. Any ideas would be useful, cheers.
Unread 26 Oct 2004, 13:33   #2
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Using brackets

From what I can remember from one of my first year CompSci modules, you have to convert the 'standard' (parenthesised, algebraic) notation to Reverse Polish Notation.
I can't fully remember
a) how to do that
b) what you do once you have

Not very helpful I know.
What I do remember is that there were two stacks. One for numbers, one for operators.
Once you've got your two stacks I *think* you can then pull off a number and an operator, a number and an operator etc and it should all process in the correct order.

Obviously you and google are going to have to spend some time together on this one.
Unread 26 Oct 2004, 14:53   #3
vampire_lestat
Mathamagician

vampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet society

after much time with google i decided to do it "another way". Any ideas how to make a program (again in visual basic) restart itself. It seems all google wants to tell me is how to make VB restart windows.
Unread 26 Oct 2004, 15:02   #4
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

You'd have spawn another process which would then call the first process back again as far as I know.
The simplest way would be to have another exe called "restart.exe" which you run immediately before exiting the program. Make "restart" wait a second before it launches your program again to give it time to exit.
Unread 26 Oct 2004, 22:47   #5
Caesar2
Commander

Caesar2 is just really niceCaesar2 is just really niceCaesar2 is just really niceCaesar2 is just really nice

There are probably better ways, but this works:

Code:
Private Sub Form_Unload(Cancel As Integer)
    Shell (App.Path & "\" & App.EXEName & ".exe")
End Sub
Although it won't restart itself when you kill it (thank god!)
And if you wanna test it in design mode, you should make an .exe (File --> Make .exe) first.

You were just "bashed", live with it.
Caesar2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Oct 2004, 08:35   #6
SYMM
Love's Sweet Exile

SYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better place

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampire_lestat
I'm making what is, essentially, a calculator in visual basic (i know, it should be in a proper language, but i cant be bothered to learn one), and I can't for the life of me work out how I could implement brackets into it. Any ideas would be useful, cheers.
I think the word megla was looking for was "postfix" ([edit] which apparently is called Reverse Polish Notation- you learn something every day) notation, see here
Unread 27 Oct 2004, 16:37   #7
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampire_lestat
I'm going to hit you with a shovel if you continue using VB. I'm using VB6 in a "professional" environment now, and I HATE it... that's even an understatement. DISPISE it! It all looks like spaghetti to me.
C++ > *
Unread 27 Oct 2004, 23:09   #8
JetLinus
Friendly geek of GD :-/

JetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud of
Arrow Re: Using brackets

Well and I love it, so...

Anyway:
  • Can't you just parse the brackets? Find the most inner pair (i.e. the most opened count, right? you know where my idea goes, no?), evaluate the expression, and repeat...

• If you use the MS Scripting Class somewhere in the Add-Ins or Libraries, or some other ready-made pre-defined object, you can just say "Result = Something.Evaluate(MyCalculationString)" or so, and it's all well done...

• To restart an application, that's right, you could just use the shell-command. If you don't like the "unload"-event, try the QuereUnload or Terminate Event (this might even work after task manager kills, I don't know). And experiment with infinite loops and what happens once the get terminated etc.

Or do the advanced "another process watches me" trick...
Unread 28 Oct 2004, 10:17   #9
SbOlly
Spelling is for pussies

SbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Structural Integrity
I'm going to hit you with a shovel if you continue using VB. I'm using VB6 in a "professional" environment now, and I HATE it... that's even an understatement. DISPISE it! It all looks like spaghetti to me.
C++ > *
*cough*
C > C++

Never get bored of that.

Anyhow, couldn't you just tokenise the entire string? And then resolve each token until it became a simple token?

I.e

2 + (3 + 4) * (3 / (1 * 1))

Would become
A + B * C
A = 2
B = (3 + 4)
C = (9 / (1 * 3))

Recursively, it would then become :
A + B * D
A = 2
B = (3 + 4)
C = (1 * 3)
D = (9 / C)

Then just resolve to simple expressions.

I always get the soggy biscuit

Veni Vidi Codi
SbOlly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Oct 2004, 12:55   #10
Banned
Banned

Banned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so little

Make an expression tree.
Banned is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Nov 2004, 17:48   #11
4VAlien
Paris <3

4VAlien will become famous soon enough4VAlien will become famous soon enough

elaborating expression tree:

assuming this order on which goes first:

^
/
+
-

we will now introduce :
EXPR = an expression containg anything including ()
POW = EXPR without brackets
MUL = POW without any *
DIV = etc
PLUS = etc
MIN = etc
NUM = only needed if you allow -3.14e10 like expressions

you should have functions matching these expressions. You start out with passing the whole expression to EXPR. EXPR should scan for (BLA) and replace it with POW BLA. After that you should pass the modified expression to POW which should then pass the left and right hand sides of the ^ operator to the function below and then you can do lefthand_result ^ righthand_result. You go down that way for each operator, and make sure you can handle double operators like 2+2+2 :-)

That should be processed as
PLUS('2','2+2')
PLUS(NUM(2), PLUS('2','2'))
PLUS(2,PLUS(NUM(2),NUM(2)))
PLUS(2,4) = 6

i so hope this is clear :-/ its essentially an introduction to languages/compilers, so you could perhaps use those materials to help you.

PS if your calculator only does ints than a good design would make all NUM,POW functions etc return integers!
4VAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Nov 2004, 18:25   #12
4VAlien
Paris <3

4VAlien will become famous soon enough4VAlien will become famous soon enough

because i know i can't explain i just made this, its buggy but show the way to go:

<?php

$expr="(2^2)^(2*5^3)*9";
echo EXPR($expr);

function EXPR($string) {

$offset = 0;
while(true) {
$leftbrace = strpos($string,'(',$offset);
if(!is_integer($leftbrace)) break;

$rightbrace= strpos($string,')',$offset);

$lefthand = substr($string,0,$leftbrace);
$braceexpr = substr($string,$leftbrace+1,$rightbrace-$leftbrace-1); //braces eliminated!
$remainder = substr($string,$rightbrace+1);

$string = $lefthand.EXPR($braceexpr).$remainder;

$offset = $leftbrace;
}

return POWf($string);

}

function POWf($string) {

$offset = 0;

echo 'POWF:'.$string."\r\n";
$power = strpos($string,'^');
if(!is_integer($power)) return MUL($string);

$lefthand = substr($string,0,$power);