User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion

Unread 21 Aug 2004, 19:14   #1
JetLinus
Friendly geek of GD :-/

JetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud of
Arrow Looking for system / bandwidth status program

In particular, I'm looking for
  1. A bandwidth monitor, that replaces my old and ugly one*. It should

• Display current upstream / downstream. Preferrably in kb/s, but kbps is ok.
    • Have bars or anything representing it. Can be REALLY simple. Not a must.
    • Fit on the screen and stay always on top. Either dockable to the edge of the screen, or create a small always-on-top floating icon. Good solutions that use tray icons are also ok (but they have to convince me first). Or a custom taskbar / symbol bar maybe?
    • Traffic / volume counting andlogging optional. Not a must. Would be nice though.

2. A HDD Temperature (smart) // CPU temp // CPU usage monitor.

• Doesn't have to do all at once, but that'd be the perfect solution.
    • Doesn't need to be updated too frequently. Whatever.
    • Same interface wishes as above: Must be floating always on top or dockable or tray icon(s).

• Programs should be freeware or shareware with enough potential (i.e. no annoying popups, no 30 day limits).

• I know, you can achieve A LOT of this by just doing desktop-modding (wasn't there this "samurize" program?). But I want to get all this information while I'm WORKING, not while I'm staring at my desktop, waiting for things to happen.

• What do you guys do to monitor your computer's activity? Do you have any other solution? As I said, I personally don't like desktop "wallpaper" modifications, because I don't look there frequent enough. Floating is ok, as you can cover mostly unused space on your screen (e.g. the rright hand side of fullsized titlebars. My winamp does it*). Docking has the advantage it "reserves" space on you screen, and you still have everything accessable in full screen windows.

• Unfortunately, my Miranda version doesn't like it, when multiple windows dock to the same edge of the screen as Miranda. Also docking always messes up when you use "show desktop".

* Example-Screenshot

Unread 21 Aug 2004, 19:35   #2
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend
Re: Looking for system / bandwidth status program

1) DU-meter or Netlimiter, though the latter is more than only a monitor
And neither of them are free.

2) No idea for a tool that monitors temperature except for SiSoft Sandra, but that's hardly real-time no?

I only use Winbar to monitor my system. I'm only interested in CPU, memory and HD usage. I'm not that much interested in my hardware status.
Unread 21 Aug 2004, 21:05   #3
JetLinus
Friendly geek of GD :-/

JetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud of
Arrow Re: Looking for system / bandwidth status program

Quote:
Originally Posted by Structural Integrity
1) DU-meter or Netlimiter, though the latter is more than only a monitor
And neither of them are free.
Got a version of NetLimiter, it's really nice, but it doesn't give me the bandwidth "easy accessible".
Thx for the DU-Meter tip, gonna try it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Structural Integrity
2) No idea for a tool that monitors temperature except for SiSoft Sandra, but that's hardly real-time no?

I only use Winbar to monitor my system. I'm only interested in CPU, memory and HD usage. I'm not that much interested in my hardware status.
Will have a look at Winbar.
I recently developed the idea that it'd be nice to see cpu usage all the time. I then figured, a more "average" information from general pc usage would be the cpu temp (I watched it using AIDA [a great system information tool], and noticed how it develops on my pc).

The reason I want to have a closer look at my HDDs now is that I installed a new one yesterday. As my pc was ready-built and is really small, it's pretty tight AND hot inside. The additional HDD wasn't included in the design.
So I bought a HDD fan, but it was 3mm to high :-/
After I nearly broke my disks and totally bended the fan-plate, I dismounted both fans and put them somewhere else (using a candy-box and tape as well as bits of string).
They now desperately try to cool down the lower HDD, the upper one doesn't have a way to let its heat go, but at least it won't get additional heat from below. I hope.

That's why I want to have a closer look at it atm.
[47° and 43° Celsius right now, with no heavy usage]. :-/
Unread 22 Aug 2004, 01:09   #4
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Luckeh!!!! will become famous soon enoughLuckeh!!!! will become famous soon enough

MBM5 is a great temp/voltage etc... tool with plenty of options, i run it so that it shows my temps in my systray with fan RPMs as mouse over.

I use DUMeter for the bandwidth monitor thingy.
Luckeh!!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Aug 2004, 18:06   #5
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Step 1: Keep MBM5 but turn off all it's displays (so no dashboard, no systray icons, no OSD).
Step 2: Head over to www.samurize.com and download.
Step 3: Design your layout using the inbuilt graphical editor (no messing about with config files a-la coolmon etc)

Here is a shot of my setup: http://www.megla.net/random/samconf.jpg

Everything on the bottom centre and left is done with Samurize. That's the CPU usage, net down, and net up histograms, the date readout, the remaining space on all my drives, my free memory, the CPU/Motherboard temperature, and the Winamp song readout in the centre (which is also a progress bar).

A small rundown of what Samurize can monitor and display:
  • Text files (so anything written out by any program), down to which line and for how many lines
  • Active script
  • Console programs
  • Any MBM5 value
  • Plugins. This includes things like a spectrum plugin for winamp so you can display a spectrum analyser on the desktop.
  • The status of your POP3 mailbox
  • ANY windows performance monitor value at all
  • ANY windows WMI sublayer value at all (this is incredibly powerful)
  • Much more...

On top of that, it can then display any information as plain text, bar charts, histograms, dials, etc etc - all of which have numerous colour and antialiasing options etc - and the whole editor is drag and drop. It really couldn't be easier.

My setup is very tame compared to some of the examples on the site so go check it out.
Unread 23 Aug 2004, 03:26   #6
JammyJim
Godfather

JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

You might be better of downloading avedesk 1.1

i believe it works with all the widgets for object desktop and its also rather groovy anyway. The FTP drop is a stroke of genious.
It's not personal, it's just business.
JammyJim is offline   Reply With Quote