User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 17 Jun 2003, 15:27   #1
Christian
Attitude

Christian is infamous around these parts
90 % of all TV programs are beyond ****

It's true.
Sit-coms, talkshows, realityshows. The list of lame TV shows that can't be looked upon as educational or entertaining is infinitive.
Today I saw 30 seconds of Big Brother, and my IQ was reduced by 50 %.
I wonder; how can shows like 'Jenny Jones' and 'Big Brother' air ?
Who watches these horrible excuses for television ?
I used to enjoy watching television, but due to the lack of quality in just about every show out there, my 'TV hours' are down to about 2-3 hours a week.

What has caused this deterioration within TV ? And how the hell can we stop it ? If Ricky lake is what the 'people' want, what can we do to stop them wasting these superfluous hours infront of the screen watching braindead shows like this ?
Todd: Truth is like a blanket that always leaves your feet cold. You push it, stretch it, it'll never be enough. Kick at it, beat it, it'll never cover any of us. From the moment we enter crying, to the moment we leave dying, it'll just cover your face as you wail and cry and scream.
Christian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Jun 2003, 15:29   #2
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

ChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriend
What I don't get is why people watch endless soap operas. In the UK we have Neighbours, Home & Away, Eastenders, Hollyoaks, etc.... Plus Brookside is being axed because "only" 3 million people watch it.

But if people want to watch it who am I to say they shouldn't?
ChubbyChecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Jun 2003, 15:32   #3
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend
I think you even watch more TV than me.
TV in the Netherlands is crap too. Real-life soaps, adventure soaps, talk shows, crap game shows, "Hey Jim, look at what a cool thing I have today"-shows... Everything we've seen before, just with a different background.
Structural Integrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Jun 2003, 15:32   #4
Proteus
Lord Denning

Proteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriend
When I went home last week for a few days all I watched was the documentary channels, the news, and music. Everything else was complete rubbish.
He was crowned in York Cathedral as 'Expert in the West' by Pope Urban III in 1186.
Proteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Jun 2003, 15:34   #5
[GAP]Obiwan

[GAP]Obiwan is an unknown quantity at this point
Music channels are acceptable.
[ICE]DC
[Deus]
[Tok'ra]
[Ostraka]
www.tit.aresexy.com
[GAP]Obiwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Jun 2003, 15:36   #6
Christian
Attitude

Quote:
Originally posted by [GAP]Obiwan
Depends. Some are really poor.
Todd: Truth is like a blanket that always leaves your feet cold. You push it, stretch it, it'll never be enough. Kick at it, beat it, it'll never cover any of us. From the moment we enter crying, to the moment we leave dying, it'll just cover your face as you wail and cry and scream.
Unread 17 Jun 2003, 15:44   #7
Mong
Forever Delayed

Mong is on a distinguished road
I watch BBC3 and BBC4 quite a lot actually. Most music chans suck due to censorship, branding, and other corporate crap.

UK History and Discovery are quite good though! Plus you do get decent Sci-Fi on SkyOne/Bravo/Sci-Fi and also on BBC2 and C4 sometimes.

But mainly I'm online or reading books or making music or generally being constructive/creative (when I'm actually in my home)...

So no... TV doesn't suck, as long as you look for better stuff to watch and don't settle for a main channel at primetime.

M.

O2 Rip-off campaign

<vampy> plus i hate people ... i despise humanity as a whole

pablissimo "I'm still geting over the fact you just posted a pic of your own vomit"
Mong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Jun 2003, 15:46   #8
Christian
Attitude

Everyone should be entitled to decent television.
Personally, I don't have any of the channels you mentioned.
Unread 17 Jun 2003, 15:49   #9
ELeeming
Cultured

ELeeming is an unknown quantity at this point
I agree with Mong. There are a lot of good programs on, you just need to shift throught the rubbish a bit to find them.
God Told Me To Do It
Just Another Victim Of The Ambient Morality
Synchronise Your Dogmas
My site (well, kind of. Actually not at all, but it has my name on it in several places)
Aargh! Killer Bee attack! (\o/) (/o\) (\o/) (/o\)
ELeeming is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Jun 2003, 16:05   #10
Embroglio
a new low in getting high

Embroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Re: 90 % of all TV programs are beyond ****

Quote:
Originally posted by Christian
my IQ was reduced by 50 %
So it only dropped by 2 then.
I want you by my side.

We’re hitting a new low.
Embroglio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Jun 2003, 16:28   #11
Christian
Attitude

Re: Re: 90 % of all TV programs are beyond ****

Quote:
Originally posted by Embroglio
So it only dropped by 2 then.
You're about as much fun as Muslim.
Unread 17 Jun 2003, 18:57   #12
lokken
BlueTuba

lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by [GAP]Obiwan
Only VH1 Classic is acceptable sonny jim.
Unread 17 Jun 2003, 18:59   #13
Black Dog
Dazed and Confused

Black Dog is just really niceBlack Dog is just really niceBlack Dog is just really niceBlack Dog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally posted by lokken
Only VH1 Classic is acceptable sonny jim.
Is this someone with taste. On the forums. In my lifetime. I don't believe it.
Black Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Jun 2003, 19:05   #14
Vermillion
Historian

Vermillion is a name known to allVermillion is a name known to allVermillion is a name known to allVermillion is a name known to allVermillion is a name known to allVermillion is a name known to all
Watch Discovery if you like, their nature stuff is excellent, but in terms of History, they are more right than wrong. At last count they had something like 42 complaints pending against them for inaccuracies and errors in their historical programming. Thats why they have started to do less and less.

In other news, the best show on TV in recent memory wa cancelled after half a season: Firefly.

Pissed me right off.

"Et nunc, reges, intelligite, er udimini, qui judicati terram"
Vermillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Jun 2003, 19:08   #15
mbushell

mbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Quote:
Originally posted by Mong
I watch BBC3 and BBC4 quite a lot actually
never ever touched 'em, they don't appeal to me tbh
mbushell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Jun 2003, 19:09   #16
Black Dog
Dazed and Confused

Black Dog is just really niceBlack Dog is just really niceBlack Dog is just really niceBlack Dog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally posted by Vermillion
but in terms of History, they are more right than wrong. At last count they had something like 42 complaints pending against them for inaccuracies and errors in their historical programming.
This is ironic.
Black Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Jun 2003, 19:10   #17
queball
Ball

queball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so little
Quote:
Originally posted by Black Dog
This is ironic.
This is annoying.
queball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Jun 2003, 19:26   #18
lokken
BlueTuba

lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by Black Dog
Is this someone with taste. On the forums. In my lifetime. I don't believe it.
And anyone who enjoys MTV Base or The U should be shot. Repeatedly. By a nailgun.
Unread 17 Jun 2003, 23:58   #19
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
And what if it was the other way around? That 90% of TV was good?

If 10% is good, thats over 2 hours good programming a day from each channel. Small percentage, high in reality.

TV is a subsitute for having anything else to do. I watch a lot of it, but only because i dont work / school / anything atm.

In terms of music channels, im not a fan of any, but some suck more than others. Im looking at you MTV, MTV2, Base, and Kerrang.

Believe in me, cause i don't believe in anything
And i wanna be someone, to believe, to believe in
Deffeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Jun 2003, 00:00   #20
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Will we have a thread for each of the mass produced media saying they're mostly rubbish?
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Jun 2003, 00:46   #21
Aquario
a true 'Mincer'

Aquario is an unknown quantity at this point
TV is ok.

Went a Stint of approx 9 months of no TV at university, only watching a bit when I returned home.

Now with BBC1, 2, ITV and Channel 4 at my mercy I can say That things have got worse, maybe perhaps I have just got used to having no tv around who knows.

There are some good things though. Late night TV.

the learning zone on BBC 2 is amazing watched that many a time recently till 6am. Even the GCSE revision bitesize is interesting sometimes as well.

BBC3 seems to be quite good. They have an Adam & Joe go Tokyo which is screened on BBC1 last night.

Channel 4 have Big Brother which has the debatably 'amazing' Jon
an absolute master & incredibly entertaining in my opinion, only watch the highlights , so as to see the good bits.

Simpsons, and 'I Love 19XX' are great.

90% is **** assumed to by shyt. is probably true but i shall watch it anyways.

Smileys are a waste of time
Aquario is offline   Reply With Quote