User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 23 Mar 2006, 10:40   #1
Radical Edward

Radical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriend
Kember Freed

The British chap who was kidnapped in Iraq a few months ago has been freed in a multinational operation. apparently he is pretty ok, butthe two canadians with him are in hospiral. I wonder if this is related to that big operation the americans set off the other week, or if this is an independent one. Anyway, hope lots of insurgents got pumped full of lead.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/mid...st/4836218.stm

ok 3..... 2..... 1.. let's jam
Radical Edward is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Mar 2006, 11:00   #2
KoeN
Lucky
Helicopter Champion

KoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant future
Re: Kember Freed

Quote:
The men were carrying out work in Iraq as part of peace group Christian Peacemaker Teams.
:crymeariver:
KoeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Mar 2006, 11:03   #3
Cooling
Tilting at windmills

Cooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

This is good news

One of the Canadian chaps attends my university and a few of my friends have been involved in a few fruitless petitions and rallys.

I don't really understand their reasons for plastering the main quad with flyer's. It didn't seem likely that the kidnappers would ever read them.

They were feeling pretty glum after the American was shot in the head.
Cooling is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Mar 2006, 12:23   #4
milo

milo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooling
They were feeling pretty glum after the American was shot in the head.
It was sad, but edit that to follow GD convention

****s sake dace ill never be normal again ill carry that insane phrase till i die
milo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Mar 2006, 16:47   #5
All Systems Go

All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Why were they taken in the first place?

What did the hostage-takers want?
The 20th century has been characterised by three developments of great political importance. The growth of democracy; the growth of corporate power; and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.
All Systems Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Mar 2006, 17:00   #6
IncubusGod
WANNASEEMYNEWCHAINSAW

IncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Systems Go
Why were they taken in the first place?

What did the hostage-takers want?

They had been working with the Christian Peacemaker Teams, a group which is opposed to the war in Iraq and has been critical of the treatment of the detainees in U.S. and Iraqi government jails.

The kidnappers wanted all prisoners held by the US and Iraqi government to be freed or they'd kill the hostages.
Perhaps a completely impossible goal, and something they clearly knew was such. I'd say it was just for further bad publiticy and press exposure in the west.

Your views are not going to keep you safe in Iraq, that's for certain.
Even an aid worker for years in Iraq, ipposed to the war, married to an Iraqi, spoke perfect arabic and did nothing but help people all her life in the country.
IncubusGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Mar 2006, 18:39   #7
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend

i have to say one of the few things that I do like about being British is that there's the possibility that if you end up that kind of situation, that the British Government will do everything it can to protect it's citizens, including the use of the army, SAS* etc.

Of course in this case there is a lot of politics surrounding it and you could easily argue that if it wasnt for the fact it looked good politically that the kind of efforts that result in such a rescue would not be made.

But still, as a British citizen I find myself proud of our armed forces in situations like this, maybe just because it's nice to see them doing everything they can to rescue someone in this situation.

* This is being roundly no commented on, but speculation around these things is probably correct.
[20:27:47] <nodrog-aawy> **** i think my housemate just caught me masturbating
[11:25:32] <idimmu> you are a little piggy arent you
[13:17:00] <KaneED> i'm so closet i'm like narnia
Unread 24 Mar 2006, 19:02   #8
roadrunner_0
cynic

roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

it was coomented on in this mornings BBC1 news, where they said the SAS had gone in, perhaps they have been told off since then
Unread 24 Mar 2006, 21:36   #9
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Tactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Question Re: Kember Freed

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWSBOT3
i have to say one of the few things that I do like about being British is that there's the possibility that if you end up that kind of situation, that the British Government will do everything it can to protect it's citizens, including the use of the army, SAS etc.
The Scotsman had some of the details of the rescue:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Scotsman
As efforts were made to open negotiations, the SAS and MI6 tried to get a lead on the kidnappers by studying hostage videos released to Arab TV stations, while eavesdropping teams from the Intelligence Corps attempted to intercept mobile phone calls.
I wonder if they got warrants first?
Quote:
Acting on this, the SAS was able to launch a snatch raid on Wednesday night to seize two of the kidnappers or their associates. It seems that the prisoners were "persuaded" to give up information on the whereabouts of the hostages. This might have been done with the offer of a financial inducement or the use of some of the more extreme interrogation techniques criticised by human rights groups.
Hm, so extreme interrogation techniques may have been used to rescue 'peacemakers' who were kidnapped while in Iraq to protest extreme interrogation techniques.

The gods of irony have been busy this week.
The Ottawa Citizen and Southam News wish to apologize for our apology to Mark Steyn, published Oct. 22. In correcting the incorrect statements about Mr. Steyn published Oct. 15, we incorrectly published the incorrect correction. We accept and regret that our original regrets were unacceptable and we apologize to Mr. Steyn for any distress caused by our previous apology.
Tactitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Mar 2006, 03:54   #10
Yahwe
I am.

Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactitus
The Scotsman had some of the details of the rescue:

I wonder if they got warrants first?

Hm, so extreme interrogation techniques may have been used to rescue 'peacemakers' who were kidnapped while in Iraq to protest extreme interrogation techniques.

The gods of irony have been busy this week.
all the information i have tells me that although this was technically a military opperation: no shots were fired and the kidnappers were not present.

We call that an exchange where i come from.

I would not find it easy to follow your rather bizare 'america uses torture, torture was therefore used in this circumstancer, therefore it is ok to use torture' argument.
Unread 25 Mar 2006, 04:43   #11
Kurashima
Has Soup On His Head

Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Theres an interesting little storm in a teacup growing on this one.

Mainly that Kember, and his fellow hostages, and the Pacifist group that they are members of, have point blank refused to thank the soldiers that risked their lives to rescue them in an operation which, if propaganda being spouted by the Foreign Office is to be believed, cost the country seven figures to mount.

I feel a poll coming on

"Should Norman Kember say 'Thank you' For being rescued, even though hes a pacifist who didnt want to be rescued"

Thoughts?
In his zeal to discover the Snark
Kurashima is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Mar 2006, 04:45   #12
Yahwe
I am.

Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurashima
Theres an interesting little storm in a teacup growing on this one.

Mainly that Kember, and his fellow hostages, and the Pacifist group that they are members of, have point blank refused to thank the soldiers that risked their lives to rescue them in an operation which, if propaganda being spouted by the Foreign Office is to be believed, cost the country seven figures to mount.

I feel a poll coming on

"Should Norman Kember say 'Thank you' For being rescued, even though hes a pacifist who didnt want to be rescued"

Thoughts?
It was stupid of the commanding officer to mention mr kember's failure to say thank you.

I sincerely hope this issue will blow over. It will only reflect badly on the military.
Unread 25 Mar 2006, 05:22   #13
Vaio
Heh, Leeds !

Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahwe
It was stupid of the commanding officer to mention mr kember's failure to say thank you.

I sincerely hope this issue will blow over. It will only reflect badly on the military.
Instead of reflecting badly on a silly, ungrateful old fool who should have taken up fishing instead of sticking his nose in somewhere he shouldn't have been ?

Yes, I know he is dead !
Vaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Mar 2006, 05:47   #14
Yahwe
I am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaio
Instead of reflecting badly on a silly, ungrateful old fool who should have taken up fishing instead of sticking his nose in somewhere he shouldn't have been ?
that old fool was a british citizen held under force by foreign powers.

he doesn't need to say thank you.
Unread 25 Mar 2006, 07:04   #15
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I was truly shocked when I heard that people were complaining that he wasn't saying thankyou. It's the most absurd news story I have heard in a while, if he said he didn't want to be rescued why on Earth should he thank people for it?

It's interesting to see what happens when someone refuses to do everything the PR machine says, though not particularly encouraging.