User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 4 Jan 2003, 06:25   #1
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Maths people - What is Pi used for?

Except the obvious geometric uses. I was just reading something about probability in coin-tossing, and one of the formulas used to calculate the odds of a certain amount of heads occuring under certain conditions involved the use of Pi (Stringers forumla). A footnote said that "the use of pi may seem unusual since the problem has nothing to do with circles, but pi is one of those numbers that pops up all over the place in mathematics". I did not know this, and I am interested - where else does it 'pop up'?
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Jan 2003, 06:29   #2
Dace

Re: Maths people - What is Pi used for?

Quote:
Originally posted by Nodrog
where else does it 'pop up'?

The crotch region of my trousers when i watch "Dark Angel".
Unread 4 Jan 2003, 06:46   #3
Aryn
Happy

Aryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond repute
Pi is the second letter in my sorority's name (Alpha Pi Beta)

but that doesn't really help you now does it :\
Unread 4 Jan 2003, 07:02   #4
Aryn
Happy

Aryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond repute
pav you just can't seem to get over this obsession with me.
you have this need to reply after i post something.. please stop.
it's just not possible for us. i mean.. you're over there, and i'm over here. well that and i'm already with someone else. you understand right?
sorry.
Unread 4 Jan 2003, 07:46   #5
Dace

Quote:
Originally posted by Pavil Twice.
ever heard of canadian humour?

neither have canadians.

I saw that joke coming from before i even opened this thread to read your reply.
Unread 4 Jan 2003, 08:07   #6
Auro
I AM OSCAR WILDE

Auro is an unknown quantity at this point
Pi IS EXACTLY 3!

Ok, now that I've got your attention.....

I don't know.
Unread 4 Jan 2003, 08:49   #7
Mirai
Child Eating Zombie Clown

Mirai is on a distinguished road
pi pops up quite a bit in Trigonometry.

Die You Bitch Minister of Insanity - "Timete Nostrum Piscem Furoris"

My fellow Americans, I'm pleased to tell you today that I've signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever, we begin bombing in 5 minutes - President Ronald Reagan, in a radio check where he did not realize the microphone was on and the station broadcasting
Mirai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Jan 2003, 09:55   #8
queball
Ball

queball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so little
It's also used to donate a product,
b
Πx_i
i=a

and for &pi;(n), the number of primes <= n
queball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Jan 2003, 10:20   #9
Mirai
Child Eating Zombie Clown

Mirai is on a distinguished road
Quote:
its not called trigonometry anymore, it is called Algebra.
no, that's a different math subject.

Die You Bitch Minister of Insanity - "Timete Nostrum Piscem Furoris"

My fellow Americans, I'm pleased to tell you today that I've signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever, we begin bombing in 5 minutes - President Ronald Reagan, in a radio check where he did not realize the microphone was on and the station broadcasting
Mirai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Jan 2003, 10:34   #10
'|'empest
Stoke

'|'empest is an unknown quantity at this point
i remember flicking through a prospectus in september (brum i think) for maths, it had examples of all these insane equations that all came out in the end as pi/4

apart from that, havn't got a pigging clue
'|'empest is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Jan 2003, 10:51   #11
menth0l
dim like a fox

menth0l is on a distinguished road
Erm. Pi did pop up in my Linear Algebra class a few times but even then it was about radians and angles. So trigonometry basically.
---------------
ph33r TPE plz. thxbye.
menth0l is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Jan 2003, 11:15   #12
Demon1411

Pi is used (atleast) in:

-anything involving circles,like area or spinning volumes
-Fourier Transformations (Transferring time based functions to frequency and back)
-Z-transformations (similar to Fourier, but donīt remember details)
-a bit in imaginary numbers (Eulers formula ?)
-(Pseudo)random number generation (computers)
-Statistical math
-filthering (DSP, basicly FFT)

Few uses I can think of...
Hope that helps.
Unread 4 Jan 2003, 11:20   #13
menth0l
dim like a fox

googled
---------------
ph33r TPE plz. thxbye.
Unread 4 Jan 2003, 11:20   #14
deerbarn
Anal Crumb

deerbarn is a splendid one to beholddeerbarn is a splendid one to beholddeerbarn is a splendid one to beholddeerbarn is a splendid one to beholddeerbarn is a splendid one to beholddeerbarn is a splendid one to beholddeerbarn is a splendid one to behold
a bloke in a bath tub
Unread 4 Jan 2003, 13:03   #15
Ste
Bored

Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
who discovered pi.
and how?
Some ancient Greek i think discovered Pi...

In a circle - Pi*diameter = Circumference
- Pi*Radius^2 = Area
etc...
These are basically derived from the fact that in a segment of a circle the length of the circumference is angle(in radians)*radius there are 2pi radians in a circle.
Other than that - I dunno!
Another interesting 'number' is e. It's not that difficult to find though - A decent computer program could find it very easily...
Ste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Jan 2003, 13:25   #16
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend
Quote:
Originally posted by Three_Eyes_Open
Making Odd films.
yes, I saw that one.... 't was really bizarre.

Anyway, I never heard of PI being used in statistics. However, since the numbers of PI are random (no one has ever managed to find a patern) I guess it could be used to calculate the chance of throwing coins, which is also a random something.
Structural Integrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Jan 2003, 13:33   #17
queball
Ball

queball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so little
Re: Maths people - What is Pi used for?

Quote:
Except the obvious geometric uses. I was just reading something about probability in coin-tossing, and one of the formulas used to calculate the odds of a certain amount of heads occuring under certain conditions involved the use of Pi (Stringers forumla).
There is no such thing as Stringers forumla! Nodrog is "stringing" you along!
queball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Jan 2003, 14:51   #18
Flayer
Wankoverable

Flayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of light
after minutes of thoughts, i came to the conclusion that pi is infinitive because a circle is infinitive round, is this right?
Unread 4 Jan 2003, 15:04   #19
Idi

no
Unread 4 Jan 2003, 16:15   #20
acropolis
Vermin Supreme

acropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better place
Quote:
Originally posted by Demon1411
Pi is used (atleast) in:

-anything involving circles,like area or spinning volumes
-Fourier Transformations (Transferring time based functions to frequency and back)
-Z-transformations (similar to Fourier, but donīt remember details)
-a bit in imaginary numbers (Eulers formula ?)
-(Pseudo)random number generation (computers)
-Statistical math
-filthering (DSP, basicly FFT)

Few uses I can think of...
Hope that helps.
items 2,3, and 7 are kinder the same:/

But yeah mostly.

i'd say as follows
all geometry

all probability (another fun example: drop a 1' pin on a grid of squares 2' to a side. whats the probability the pin crosses a side of one of the squares? lo pi.)

all algebra (at least once you get to complex variables. pretty much everything makes sense once you know why e^(i*pi) = -1)

all number theory (some of the series that lead to pi: 1-1/3+1/5-1/7+1/9-...= pi/4 and 1 + 1/(2^2) + 1/(3^2) + 1/(4^2) +... = pi^2 / 6, and 1+ 1/(2^4) + 1/(3^4) + 1/(4^4) +... = (pi^4)/90. Solve the one with ^3 and you'll have your own page in math books from now until forever)
acropolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Jan 2003, 17:24   #21
W
Gubbish

W is a jewel in the roughW is a jewel in the roughW is a jewel in the rough
2*Pi is the period of the trigonometric functions, which are used for complex numbers among other things. Also alternating series and stuff. PI doesn't really pop up that much for no reason, it's usually tied either to a periodic function or to complex numbers.
Unread 4 Jan 2003, 17:26   #22
menth0l
dim like a fox

Quote:
you see if we use google for everything on here then eventually we will use it for everything for both on and offline conversations.

imagine it.

standing at a bus stop and a little old lady turns to you and says 'when is the 17 due sonny?' to which you reply 'check google you piss stained old hag'

imagine it. go on.
It's a beautiful dream.
---------------
ph33r TPE plz. thxbye.
Unread 4 Jan 2003, 17:30   #23
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by menth0l
It's a beautiful dream.
I still think you stole my ****ing idea for your rank.

PS What W said about trigonometric functions. Sine waves and alternating currents and other such equally pointless areas.
Unread 4 Jan 2003, 23:03   #24
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:

-Statistical math
This is the kind of thing I was after!

Could you give some examples? (preferably in the form of keywords that I can google for)
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Jan 2003, 23:11   #25
W
Gubbish

W is a jewel in the roughW is a jewel in the roughW is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
This is the kind of thing I was after!

Could you give some examples? (preferably in the form of keywords that I can google for)
Anything that can be rotated for instance, will involve pi. Like dropping a 5 cm match on a 5cm x 5cm grid of cells, the probability of the match landing on an edge will involve pi; not because any of the objects are round or periodic, but simply because the match can rotate.

This can happen more or less obviously in real life cases, and comming over PI is usually baffling to the discoverer, until he figures out why.
Unread 4 Jan 2003, 23:11   #26
Ragnarak

Ragnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to behold
stirlings formula
binomial approximation
guassian distribution

etc
Ragnarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Jan 2003, 23:46   #27
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Eulers formula
Pi is only used in Euler's formula due to the presence of cos and sin; e^ix = cos x + i sin x, hence e^i(pi) = cos pi + i sin pi = -1.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Jan 2003, 00:07   #28
Dead_Meat
Old Man O Deh *****s

Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Pi theory explained

You dont need to keep beating a dog to get it to stop shitting on the carpet
Dead_Meat is offline   Reply With Quote