User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 9 Jan 2006, 11:24   #1
MrLobster
Commander in Briefs!

MrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud of
3DS Max v Lightwave 3D which do you prefer?

I would like to start learning 3d design, but i am stuck between both of these. I have tried Lightwave and did not find it easy (but then i only just got a book for it, but not as yet read it).

Which do you prefer and which is the better product?

"he's got a proven track record when it comes to showy art composition" - Tommy

<Sigi> Light: can I ask u how many open internet-windows u always have?
<MrLobster|PM> i have 2, the pa page, and the website for naked light pictures
<Ave> both has bad gfx
MrLobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Jan 2006, 11:25   #2
Radical Edward

Radical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriend
Re: 3DS Max v Lightwave 3D which do you prefer?

Comedy Third Option: Maya.

though it depends on what you want to do. From what I head, Lightwave is better for mechanical models.

ok 3..... 2..... 1.. let's jam
Radical Edward is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Jan 2006, 11:36   #3
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute

I'm no 3d artist so I can't tell you from a usage point of view.

In a render comparision between the two though I think I prefer Lightwave, it seems to produce more 'gritty' and realistic looking scenes whereas I find the renders that come of 3ds max to look kinda plastic. (and sure any good artist can get results from either, I just find LW lends itself better to realistic scenes).

EDIT: As a comparision, 3DS MAX has typically been used in the gaming industry, Lightwave has deeper roots in Film and Television (it was used for a lot of the Star Trek effects and modals for example).
Unread 9 Jan 2006, 11:37   #4
qebab
The Original Carebear

qebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

I don't know Lightwave, but I have played around quite some hours with 3ds max. Wich is rather powerful, and its userfriendly, if a bit time-consuming. It is a good program, but I can't tell you wich one's better since I haven't tried both.

Oh crap, I might be back. I should take my own advice.
qebab is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Jan 2006, 11:39   #5
qebab
The Original Carebear

qebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbass
I'm no 3d artist so I can't tell you from a usage point of view.

In a render comparision between the two though I think I prefer Lightwave, it seems to produce more 'gritty' and realistic looking scenes whereas I find the renders that come of 3ds max to look kinda plastic. (and sure any good artist can get results from either, I just find LW lends itself better to realistic scenes).
Getting a third party renderer, such as for instance Brazil, would solve that problem. And there's a built in renderer (Other than the default one), wich is rather good as well, if not as good as for instance Brazil.

Unread 9 Jan 2006, 11:47   #6
Androme
☆ ♥ 

Androme can only hope to improve

3DS Max is great but what type of 3D work do you want to get into?

Bryce is MUCH easier to get into and learn in general.

Blender is also a free but yet quality renderer. Look at Blender & bryce before the others.

There also packages that can do things better &/or easier such as Vui' Des'Spirit or something like that for landscaping etc.
R3: LegioN (came #32) || R4: BlueTuba
R5: WolfPack Order || R6: Wolfpack
R7: Fury
----------retired-------
R52-R55: Apprime
R56-R57: FaceLess
R58-60: Apprime/Ultores
Androme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Jan 2006, 11:51   #7
qebab
The Original Carebear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Androme2
3DS Max is great but what type of 3D work do you want to get into?

There also packages that can do things better &/or easier such as Vui' Des'Spirit or something like that for landscaping etc.

Bryce is MUCH easier to get into and learn in general.
Vue'd Esprit, if I recall correctly. It's a lot harder to dig out tutorials and support for that one, though.

And Bryce is also not as powerful, and to me, it seems a bit harder to model for instance spaceships, buildings, and people in it.

If you're strictly into landscaping, then go for Vue'd Esprit or Bryce, but if you're modeling cars, buildings, ships, people etc. go with something else. Lightwave, 3ds max, or as Radical Edward said; Maya (heard somewhere that this is more powerful than 3ds max?)

Unread 9 Jan 2006, 12:33   #8
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I'd disagree with 3DS being not so good at producing realistic scenes.
One of my friends had to learn it for his architecture course, and this is one of the renders he produced while he was learning how to use it.

Another option that he is playing around with (although he's not nearly as good at it yet) is Cinema 4D, which has also apparently seen some production work for TV/Film. This is about as far as he's got so far with it.

To be honest, a lot of realism depends on having decent textures - and not just "visable" elements. You need bump maps and dirt masks etc to add that extra bit of real world to a scene.

[edit]
I should mention that the textures he has been using in 3DS mainly come from here

[edit2]
I'm a retard. I have now fixed the broken image links

Last edited by meglamaniac; 9 Jan 2006 at 12:44.
meglamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Jan 2006, 12:44   #9
Radical Edward

Radical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriend

I get broken links

edit: works now.

excellent looking site btw: many kudos.

Unread 9 Jan 2006, 12:46   #10
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Heh the 404 is the old version.
The new version is at http://www.megla.net/concept/home.html but has been "in development" for about 9 months (in other words I'm a lazy git and stopped after about 2 weeks).
Unread 9 Jan 2006, 13:19   #11
Androme
☆ ♥ 

Androme can only hope to improve

Blender - http://www.blender.org/cms/Home.2.0.html
R3: LegioN (came #32) || R4: BlueTuba
R5: WolfPack Order || R6: Wolfpack
R7: Fury
----------retired-------
R52-R55: Apprime
R56-R57: FaceLess
R58-60: Apprime/Ultores
Androme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Jan 2006, 14:17   #12
JammyJim
Godfather

JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I played with lightwave for ages and after awhile of getting used to it you can create some pretty impressive stuff.

I even had wallpapers up on the PA server for a bit.

Whilst not being 'ace' at it i could render some very basic scenes quite quickly.
http://www.geocities.com/jammy_jimus/snowymountains.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/jammy_jimus...k/sun20001.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/jammy_jimus...lanetsmall.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/jammy_jimus/artwork/bluejd.jpg

etc

geocities crapness ahoy
It's not personal, it's just business.
JammyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Jan 2006, 14:44   #13
Radical Edward

Quote:
Originally Posted by meglamaniac
Heh the 404 is the old version.
The new version is at http://www.megla.net/concept/home.html but has been "in development" for about 9 months (in other words I'm a lazy git and stopped after about 2 weeks).

aah reminds me of the days when websites were hastily typed in HTML, had hundreds of animated gifs and invariably some kind of "under construction" image.

Unread 10 Jan 2006, 15:07   #14
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

Heh.
I like to think I have a little more design appreciation than that, but yes the lazy factor remains unchanged
Unread 27 Jan 2006, 16:38   #15
JammyJim
Godfather

JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I am genuinely impressed because i know how absolutely shitty and fiddly 3d imaging can be.

I suppose if you are 'creatively gifted' it isnt so much of an issue but good job dude. The biros look especially nice. Are they from a tutorial step by step thing or did you design the whole thing yourself?
It's not personal, it's just business.
JammyJim is offline   Reply With Quote