User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions

Unread 3 Sep 2008, 18:16   #1
MrLobster
Commander in Briefs!

MrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud of
Extended Research Tree

After being away from PA for a long time, I come back to see that the old tech tree is pretty much non exisitant.

So I think adding these would be good.

Code:
NAME					POINTS	DESCRIPTION
Academy of Sciences			1600		Enable use of Research Laboratories.
Metal Composites Theory		1600		Enable use of Metal Refineries.
Crystal Evaporation Theories		1600		Enable use of Crystal Refineries.
Eonium Distillation Theories		1600		Enable use of Eonium Refineries.
Business Strategies			3200		Enables Finance Centers.
I think the names fit well with what they acheive.

Although the "points" used are open to debate.

"he's got a proven track record when it comes to showy art composition" - Tommy

<Sigi> Light: can I ask u how many open internet-windows u always have?
<MrLobster|PM> i have 2, the pa page, and the website for naked light pictures
<Ave> both has bad gfx
MrLobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Sep 2008, 18:52   #2
booji
a bucket

booji is a splendid one to beholdbooji is a splendid one to beholdbooji is a splendid one to beholdbooji is a splendid one to beholdbooji is a splendid one to beholdbooji is a splendid one to beholdbooji is a splendid one to behold
Re: Extended Research Tree

would these be in a tree or individual, to me it makes much more sense to have the option of choosing which in what order you want to do them, some ppl will want to start with a particular refinery or with finance centres... why should people who want finance centres have to reseach through the refineries they probably wont build any of?
I would also extend it to include the other constructions too, why should you have to research research labs but not factories or security centres?

Otterly an Otter.
booji is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Sep 2008, 19:26   #3
Machado
Seraphim

Machado is a jewel in the roughMachado is a jewel in the roughMachado is a jewel in the roughMachado is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLobster View Post
After being away from PA for a long time, I come back to see that the old tech tree is pretty much non exisitant.

So I think adding these would be good.
They would be good. Why, what for? It sounds like a very bad idea especially if given with no good reasons.
Unread 3 Sep 2008, 19:43   #4
MrLobster
Commander in Briefs!

MrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by booji View Post
would these be in a tree or individual
See the bottom for the fullish tech tree.

Quote:
to me it makes much more sense to have the option of choosing which in what order you want to do them, some ppl will want to start with a particular refinery or with finance centres...
I was thinking this also, but I felt that having the finance center restricted till after the 3 refineries were researched whether they are each available from the get go.

As it stands each refinery is only good for starting planets (so i understand) and people will most likely ignore them and move straight to the finance centers (1000 metal per tick or 0.5% extra of your total roid income).

Quote:
why should people who want finance centres have to reseach through the refineries they probably wont build any of?
As said in my previous statement that maybe allowing all the refinery researchs to be allowed, but the finance center will need the 3 researchs to be completed before its available.

Quote:
I would also extend it to include the other constructions too, why should you have to research research labs but not factories or security centres?
Oh yes there are other structures that need tying into the tech tree, and I can bash them out later.

let me post my tech tree (excuse the formatting and random bits).

Code:
#1. Jumpgate 				[1600]	-1 Hour on Travel
#2. Warpgate 				[3200]	-2 Hour on Travel
#3. Stargate 				[4800]	-3 Hour on Travel
#4. Hypergate 				[6400]	-4 Hour on Travel

#5. Infrastructure Upgrade		[1600] 	Allows having a total of 20 constructions.
#6. Improved Power Grid		[3200]	Allows having a total of 50 constructions.
#7. Advanced Power Systems 	[4800]	Allows having a total of 100 constructions.
#8. Advanced Infrastructure 		[7200]	Allows having a total of 150 constructions.

#9. Fighter Class Hulls 		[2400]	Enables FI/CO ship classes.
#10. Frigate Class Hulls 		[4800]	Enables FR/DE ship classes.
#11. Siege Weapons 			[7200]	Enables CR/BS ship classes.

#12. Surface Analysis			[1600]	Allows use of Surface Analysis scans.
#13. Technology Analysis		[2400]	Enables emission of Technology Analysis scans.
#14. Unit Analysis			[2400]	Enables emission of the Unit Analysis scan.
#15. Decryption Algorithms		[3600]	Enables use of the News Scan, revealing news from the target sector.
#16. Warp Particle Detection		[4800]	Enables emission of Fleet Analysis scans.
#17. Jumpgate Probing		[7200]	Allows the use of Jumpgate Probes to reveal information about other fleets headed for the same planet.
#18. Advanced Unit Analysis		[7200]	This scan allows you to view all ships of the target planet (including cloaked).

#19. Academy of Sciences 		[1600]	Enable use of Research Laboratories
#20. Metal Composites Theories	[1600]	Enable use of Metal Refineries.
#21. Crystal Evaporation Theories	[1600]	Enable use of Crystal Refineries.
#22. Eonium Distillation Theories 	[1600]	Enable use of Eonium Refineries.
#23. Business Strategies 		[3200]	Enables Finance Center.

<Ave> both has bad gfx
Unread 5 Sep 2008, 00:51   #5
Ronin
Legionaire

Ronin will become famous soon enoughRonin will become famous soon enough

stop adding useless stuff to the game.

Round 3 - 8 (Legion)
Round 9 - 10.5 (Nos/FanG)
Round 22 - 23 (Jenova)
Round 24 - 28 (CT HC)
Round 31 (DLR)
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Sep 2008, 08:54   #6
Appocomaster
PA Team

Appocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

FCs only breakeven if you average 800 roids (iirc) - refinaries are better before that, especially for ter/cath/zik
Unread 5 Sep 2008, 12:51   #7
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appocomaster View Post
especially for ter/cath/zik
Er what.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Sep 2008, 15:01   #8
Membrivio
Leader of the Membrivians
Curveball Champion, Sober Santa 2 Champion

Membrivio is a splendid one to beholdMembrivio is a splendid one to beholdMembrivio is a splendid one to beholdMembrivio is a splendid one to beholdMembrivio is a splendid one to beholdMembrivio is a splendid one to beholdMembrivio is a splendid one to behold

I absolutely object against any adding of new researches to the current tech tree as it really stagnates the game play already. Add to that the current short rounds and it makes me say forcefully "nay".
I rather see it decrease, maybe some researches can be aggregated in order to get more dynamic play in an earlier stage of the game. Also, researches should be not linear in some instances, like with the hulls.
R35/36: p3nguins
R37: Evolution
R48: ODDR
R49: CT
[KB] [Mercenaries] [p0ny]

The intelligent man finds almost everything ridiculous, the sensible man hardly anything. (J.W. Goethe)
Membrivio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Sep 2008, 21:21   #9
tobbe

tobbe is a splendid one to beholdtobbe is a splendid one to beholdtobbe is a splendid one to beholdtobbe is a splendid one to beholdtobbe is a splendid one to beholdtobbe is a splendid one to beholdtobbe is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Membrivio View Post
I absolutely object against any adding of new researches to the current tech tree as it really stagnates the game play already. Add to that the current short rounds and it makes me say forcefully "nay".
I rather see it decrease, maybe some researches can be aggregated in order to get more dynamic play in an earlier stage of the game. Also, researches should be not linear in some instances, like with the hulls.
I totally agree!

VisioN Forever!
tobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Sep 2008, 11:43   #10
Marka
xVx

Marka is just really niceMarka is just really niceMarka is just really niceMarka is just really niceMarka is just really nice

If I understand from complete techtree you wanna kick out covops and extraction in favor of a second construction research branch?
I don't know if this would be benificial really. You would have to follow 2 branches to get your cons done..
I agree that there are a bunch of flaws in the current tech tree but your suggestion ain't the way to fix it.
Unread 8 Sep 2008, 14:10   #11
Gate
;D!

Gate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

I don't like this in the current system.

Make an awesome-o 5000 branching tech tree and stuff like this should be cool though.

Performance in PA should be dominated by your teawork & skill in the 'fighting' part of the game, but planet building should offer its own rewards. Branching tech trees could do this better and would be more interesting.
Gate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Sep 2008, 17:50   #12
Mighteh
Your typical Troll

Mighteh is infamous around these partsMighteh is infamous around these partsMighteh is infamous around these partsMighteh is infamous around these partsMighteh is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gate View Post
I don't like this in the current system.

Make an awesome-o 5000 branching tech tree and stuff like this should be cool though.

Performance in PA should be dominated by your teawork & skill in the 'fighting' part of the game, but planet building should offer its own rewards. Branching tech trees could do this better and would be more interesting.
in my opinion this would allow for customization on a player to player basis, and, as such, defeat the point of planetarion as a game, that used to have just a couple options for customization (science!).Maybe such a view might seem conservative, maybe its the current flow of changes that has been diminishing player base of planetarion. I, for one, wouldnt mind to have oldfashioned frigate astropods again
And an illustrated book about birds
See alot up there
But dont be scared
who needs action, when you got words....
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbg
reading this line is explicit acceptance of my superiority over you
Mighteh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Sep 2008, 12:40   #13
MrLobster
Commander in Briefs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Membrivio View Post
Ok then we add more to the tree but shorten the time it takes to research them.

<Ave> both has bad gfx
Unread 14 Sep 2008, 10:26   #14
Membrivio
Leader of the Membrivians
Curveball Champion, Sober Santa 2 Champion

Membrivio is a splendid one to beholdMembrivio is a splendid one to beholdMembrivio is a splendid one to beholdMembrivio is a splendid one to beholdMembrivio is a splendid one to beholdMembrivio is a splendid one to beholdMembrivio is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLobster View Post
Ok then we add more to the tree but shorten the time it takes to research them.
That would relatively make no difference. If you are so keen of adding these options, it should be combined by an aggregation of other researches, shortening times, delineate some researches etc.
And with regards to these additions: I really don't see any added value in them rather than annoying players more than needed. Sorry man.
R35/36: p3nguins
R37: Evolution
R48: ODDR
R49: CT
[KB] [Mercenaries] [p0ny]

The intelligent man finds almost everything ridiculous, the sensible man hardly anything. (J.W. Goethe)
Membrivio is offline   Reply With Quote