User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 5 Apr 2008, 18:48   #1
Hebdomad
I ♡ ☠

Hebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Stereotype threat (and lift)

This is the theory that you internalise your stereotype and then act it out. You can read more about it here (page two detail why the Germans beat us at penalty shootouts if you want motivation to read it). This has obvious effects on behaviour and intelligence.

In a similar vein, in Blink, Malcolm Gladwell wrote about a psychology experiment where, after emphasis was placed on black students' skin pigmentation, a large number of them visited their university professor and spoke that they suspected they were not up to par with the requisite course level. Whereas the control group, where no emphasis was placed on skin pigmentation, made no such statements. Bizarre?

During my childhood I had a mixed peer-recognition experience. In some areas I was below average, and in other areas I exceeded most of my peers. Therefore, I was never certain how "intelligent" I was, and nor was anyone else from what I could tell.

I now realise that you cannot view intelligence as either all encompassing or static, but back then I did not realise this. Back then I also measured intelligence relatively - another mistake. The sum of my uncertainty towards my own potential meant that I muddled along at school.

After I hit eighteen, it was time for me to choose the rest of my life by filling in a UCAS form (...). Like most students, I suspect, I chose the subject at which I was the most skilled. During university, because of my grades and perhaps because of the environment in which I resided, a strange thing happened: a lot of people told me I was intelligent and particularly creative.

I never really understood this because I had never experienced such statements before, but begrudgingly, strangely enough, I eventually accepted the complements and started to believe them (with qualifiers, anyway). Subsequent to my degree I have ventured out into subjects areas where I have also succeeded in a similar manner, notably in a much greater degree than I ever did in school when I studied such subjects.

Obviously since childhood to my current state I have exercised my intellectual abilities and thus improved them in various areas. But, importantly, it seems important that I did exercise them. To clarify what I mean, no matter how "intelligent" or "dumb" you are, you will always encounter subjects and concepts you find difficult to grok. My rhetorical question is: when someone encounters difficult subjects and concepts, how soon will that someone quit (or not even start) if they believe they are of lesser intelligence compared with someone who believes they are intelligent?

Although the article and my little story concentrates on intelligence, stereotype threat (and lift) applies to many more areas and it's fascinating to read about, so you probably should do so now.
Hebdomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Apr 2008, 18:53   #2
Yahwe
I am.

Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Stereotype threat (and lift)

you should find an article on egomania ...
Unread 5 Apr 2008, 22:23   #3
KaneED
Motherfracker

KaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond repute

Yahwe knows all about egomania man

ps. You said "to clarify", but it seems you have not clarified anything, but good try to improve your forums stereotype
KaneED is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Apr 2008, 23:59   #4
dda
USS Oklahoma

dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Many years ago I took a speech class in college. It was interesting to find that a huge portion of the class did not feel as though they would be able to speak adequately in front of a group.

By Yahwe's standards, they were probably correct.

One young man was particularly painful. Our first assignment was to pick any topic in the world which interested us and to speak for two minutes on that topic. The topic could be as simple as my favorite things for breakfast. The young man in question (no it wasn't me) stood up and stammered along for about 30 seconds on some mundate topic and eventually sputtered to a stop. He then stood and sweated for another minute and a half without making a sound though his jaw occasionally moved. It was horrible. It was painful. It was embarrassing to watch.

Our professor sat quietly for the minute and a half, as did we all. At the end of the period of silence, the professor congratulated him on his choice of topic. Thought of several other positive remarks to make, all of which were accurate and told him that he expected that he would do better the next time when it wasn't so new.

The young man was never what one would call a very good speaker, however, during the course his efforts became less and less painful as he moved steadily in the direction of meeting the professors expectations of him. I always felt that the professor giving him some positive words and making it clear that he wasn't disappointed in his efforts and expected that he would do better undobtedly caused him to improve more than any amount of criticism could have done.
Unread 8 Apr 2008, 02:02   #5
Travler
Bona Fide Jesus Freak

Travler is a name known to allTravler is a name known to allTravler is a name known to allTravler is a name known to allTravler is a name known to allTravler is a name known to all

Before I started posting on the forums I used to think I was relatively intelligent. Now I drag my knuckles on the floor and drool alot.
You're not the voice of Christianity di**head.

CT R22-20, [1up] R18-16, TGV R15,
The Illuminati - [NoS] - R14-13
Travler is offline   Reply With Quote