User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 14 Oct 2003, 16:45   #1
Aryn
Happy

Aryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond repute
so i'm at school now

and we're learning about MS outlook
w00 h00 :\
Unread 14 Oct 2003, 16:58   #2
Embroglio
a new low in getting high

Embroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Re: so i'm at school now

We did three lessons on changing font colours in word.
I want you by my side.

We’re hitting a new low.
Embroglio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Oct 2003, 17:11   #3
Mushroom
IRC Lackey

Mushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond repute

On this subject, can anyone please explain to me what the diddly **** mailmerge is? Apparently it's a necessary thing for business that everyone clearly MUST know about... which is obviously why no bugger i've asked knows what it is.
I suspect it's just putting a word file into outlook via word, or something amazingly technical like that, which they have to make a special name for...

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."
George Bernard Shaw
Mushroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Oct 2003, 17:14   #4
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

ChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriend

I use mailmerge to turn a spreadsheet of addresses into a sheet of address labels.
I'm not sure if it can do anything else.
ChubbyChecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Oct 2003, 17:15   #5
Intervention
In fond memory of SB

Intervention is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mushroom
On this subject, can anyone please explain to me what the diddly **** mailmerge is? Apparently it's a necessary thing for business that everyone clearly MUST know about... which is obviously why no bugger i've asked knows what it is.
I suspect it's just putting a word file into outlook via word, or something amazingly technical like that, which they have to make a special name for...
It lets you create lots of generic documents quickly.

For example, if you were to create lots of party invitations then you could load all the invitee data into a database, create a generic template for the invitation then merge all the information from the database onto the templates.

--------------
My Artwork
Intervention is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Oct 2003, 17:20   #6
Aryn
Happy

Aryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond repute

what intervention said
i learned that almost a year ago when i took Word.
Unread 14 Oct 2003, 17:23   #7
Mushroom
IRC Lackey

Mushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intervention
It lets you create lots of generic documents quickly.

For example, if you were to create lots of party invitations then you could load all the invitee data into a database, create a generic template for the invitation then merge all the information from the database onto the templates.
I see
Maybe it is worth knowing about after all then...

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."
George Bernard Shaw
Mushroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Oct 2003, 17:26   #8
Aryn
Happy

in that class i made a 'congratulations! you could win $100000000!! (you won't.. but you could!)' letters.. merged with some names and addresses.. was tempted to mail them out but didn't :\
Unread 14 Oct 2003, 18:03   #9
Crackmonkey
monkey on crack

Crackmonkey is an unknown quantity at this point

You're paying someone to teach you that? Just press F1 and save yourself the money.
Unread 14 Oct 2003, 18:12   #10
Dace
so f*cking zen

Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

My friend has decided to do an Economics degree.

As such he is in first year.

This however is his second degree.

The first was a Masters in some computer type thing (from Imperial).

He worked for > a year in London managing the network of some finance company.

I mention all this because he has to do a compulsary IT skills course at Uni (because he is a first year).

He told a mutual friend that he has just been taught how to save a document in word.

Due to beauracracy he is not allowed to not take the course.

Just thought id tell this story as it seemed kinda relevent.
Unread 14 Oct 2003, 18:31   #11
Aryn
Happy

we're learning powerpoint now

i already know this stuff.. but i have to sit the course if i want to graduate. manditory and all.
Unread 14 Oct 2003, 19:02   #12
KoeN
Lucky
Helicopter Champion

KoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant future

2 years ago we had a course about MSaccess. 10 lessons of 1,5 hours, had to do assignments from a book that counts 300+ pages.
the day before we had to hand in the assignments i nicked 10 floppies from the teachers desk, check who made the best work. changed some stuff.
got the highest grade of the class
that was pretty funny, just as the reaction of some guy i hated who did all the work, when i told him what i did :P
KoeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Oct 2003, 19:44   #13
XeeThot
Manga Kitten is back!

XeeThot is a splendid one to beholdXeeThot is a splendid one to beholdXeeThot is a splendid one to beholdXeeThot is a splendid one to beholdXeeThot is a splendid one to beholdXeeThot is a splendid one to behold

Me and two mates exploded the uni's firewall in front of the window/office teacher so we could prove him we didn't need his class

Knocking on your door for leftovers starting on Dec 21st

Last edited by XeeThot; 14 Oct 2003 at 19:45. Reason: spelling
XeeThot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Oct 2003, 20:00   #14
Crackmonkey
monkey on crack

Crackmonkey is an unknown quantity at this point

Lucky for me I'm not required to take intro to computers or some other such thing.
Unread 14 Oct 2003, 20:12   #15
cnaw
Ancient

cnaw is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aryn
and we're learning about MS outlook

are you allowed the option to test out of these classes?
Falling from grace, the human race
Religion can never unite us
Only a few will stay on the barricades"
-Masterplan
cnaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Oct 2003, 20:13   #16
Aryn
Happy

i'm writing emails
it's fun
cause i got a new email through the school
and it's got fun stuff like a translator, calendar, millions of smilies.. etc etc
Unread 14 Oct 2003, 20:13   #17
Aryn
Happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnaw
are you allowed the option to test out of these classes?
no
but my teacher understands so she lets me 'play' as long as i get my work done
Unread 14 Oct 2003, 20:15   #18
cnaw
Ancient

cnaw is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aryn
no
but my teacher understands so she lets me 'play' as long as i get my work done

well i guess thats a positive.
Falling from grace, the human race
Religion can never unite us
Only a few will stay on the barricades"
-Masterplan
cnaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Oct 2003, 20:34   #19
Cmdr_Cyrax
7 Dimensional Puddleduck

Cmdr_Cyrax is just really niceCmdr_Cyrax is just really niceCmdr_Cyrax is just really niceCmdr_Cyrax is just really niceCmdr_Cyrax is just really nice

Similar thing with me.
Had to do this ECDL" thing. Twas piss easy stuff, but I needed a piece of paper to say i know what I'm doing.
Unread 14 Oct 2003, 20:36   #20
xtothez
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

xtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dace
In college I did a 2 year National Diploma in Computer Studies. As part of every ND course everyone has to do the 3 'Key Skills' modules - English, Maths and IT. While we were being taught about low-level assembly programming and TCP/IP networking, we got classes about how to save Word documents and format text in Bold from some bint who thinks a computer is just an expensive typewriter.

Needless to say the pub tended to get busier when that class was on.
Unread 14 Oct 2003, 20:39   #21
LHC
J to the C to the A G E

LHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet society

I got kicked out of college today for going to the pub during an IT lesson but I got my teachers to back me up and I'm allowed back now.
LHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Oct 2003, 21:21   #22
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHC
I got kicked out of college today for going to the pub during an IT lesson but I got my teachers to back me up and I'm allowed back now.
Sounds harsh. I know two people in our old school who'd just been to the Design Tech visiting day 'or something' whereupon large volumes of complementary wine had been imbibed, one of whom took it upon himself to try to steal* one of the computers from the lab only to be clocked, dropping aforementioned equipment and running for his life knowing full well the teacher knew who he was.

I miss our old school =(

* Yes it was in Liverpool.**
**Yes I'm aware that it upholds a certain scouse stereotype***
***Die
Unread 14 Oct 2003, 21:25   #23
spunkie munkie
idiot

spunkie munkie is a glorious beacon of lightspunkie munkie is a glorious beacon of lightspunkie munkie is a glorious beacon of lightspunkie munkie is a glorious beacon of lightspunkie munkie is a glorious beacon of lightspunkie munkie is a glorious beacon of light

heh some of the stuff i walked out of my old school wiht over the years include a nice projector, sewing maching, an amega, a school flag and a couple of door mats with the school name and badge on which look so nice lying outside my room
Unread 14 Oct 2003, 21:26   #24
LHC
J to the C to the A G E

LHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet society

I don't think they would actually uphold it, but that's what they told me, which is pretty gay considering this is the only lesson I've skipped and people skip around five a week and they do nothing.
LHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Oct 2003, 21:37   #25
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mushroom
Maybe it is worth knowing about after all then...
I'm not sure if you're joking, but mail-merges was one of the few useful things I learnt in secondary school.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Oct 2003, 23:27   #26
Intervention
In fond memory of SB

Intervention is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
I'm not sure if you're joking, but mail-merges was one of the few useful things I learnt in secondary school.
Things are only useful if you have a use for them.

For a lot of people, there is no use for mail-merge.

--------------
My Artwork
Intervention is offline   Reply With Quote