User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 4 Sep 2003, 08:39   #51
Ärketrollmannen
Ajaj Kapten!

Ärketrollmannen is just really niceÄrketrollmannen is just really niceÄrketrollmannen is just really niceÄrketrollmannen is just really niceÄrketrollmannen is just really nice
Quote:
Originally posted by Weeks
Road block.
If they leave the van to remove the road block- sniper them.
Else they'll just run out of food and get fed up.
It's not really a huge challenge. Too small for the SAS i reckon.
One road?

Can you actually put up roadblocks at all roads that are possible escape routes?

At least here in sweden we always have either a few roads to pick from when trying to get someplace (cept for when the road is out in the wilderness someplace, in wich you can jsut drive around the roadblock
Godwin's Law prov. [Usenet] "As a Usenet discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one." There is a tradition in many groups that, once this occurs, that thread is over, and whoever mentioned the Nazis has automatically lost whatever argument was in progress. Godwin's Law thus practically guarantees the existence of an upper bound on thread length in those groups. However there is also a widely- recognized codicil that any intentional triggering of Godwin's Law in order to invoke its thread-ending effects will be unsuccessful.
Ärketrollmannen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Sep 2003, 09:57   #52
cnaw
Ancient

cnaw is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by endokuken
Automatic firearms are impossible to get, semi-auto's very hard, pistol's not as hard. Bullet-proof vests aren't found near civvies, and Humm-vees are a no-no.

The only way it would happen is some army dudes go renegade, then we call in Captain Havoc
I would think that automatic weapons would be easier to obtain than semi-auto. I'm referring to any open bolt weapon. (if we are talking about illegaly obtaining weapons). If one was so inclined, making a grease gun does not take much thought. Your main problem is ammo. Of course, if one lives in a gun free nation, you could bring that nation to its knees with blackpowder guns and cross bows. :nv:
Falling from grace, the human race
Religion can never unite us
Only a few will stay on the barricades"
-Masterplan
cnaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Sep 2003, 12:28   #53
Ärketrollmannen
Ajaj Kapten!

Ärketrollmannen is just really niceÄrketrollmannen is just really niceÄrketrollmannen is just really niceÄrketrollmannen is just really niceÄrketrollmannen is just really nice
Quote:
Originally posted by QazokRouge5
To answer the original posters question :

The men would be unstoppable.

If they truly have the resources you said,

They would simply blow thru anything, and would shoot thru any person.

Well trained men are immensly difficult to stop.

Case in point : ancient battle of Thermoplyae.

1,000,000 Persians lost 20,000 yet still failed to disarm just 300 Spartans.
I do believe those figues has been a little upgraded over the years.

But you actually believe that noone CAN stop them?
Godwin's Law prov. [Usenet] "As a Usenet discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one." There is a tradition in many groups that, once this occurs, that thread is over, and whoever mentioned the Nazis has automatically lost whatever argument was in progress. Godwin's Law thus practically guarantees the existence of an upper bound on thread length in those groups. However there is also a widely- recognized codicil that any intentional triggering of Godwin's Law in order to invoke its thread-ending effects will be unsuccessful.
Unread 4 Sep 2003, 12:35   #54
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:

At the battle of the pass of thermopylae, the Spartans caused such losses on the Persians because, not only were they top notch fighters, but they also had the landscape on their side; the persians didn't have ranged weapons such as today, and they could only engage the spartans on equal terms, rather than being able to bring their numbers to bear. You're also saying that they failed to disarm 300 spartans. It depends what you mean by that, because the spartans all got killed.

The comparison is poor because they are unlikely to be significantly better in combat than the forces sent after them, maintaining a defensive position is much harder due to the nature of today's weapons, and ranged weapons make choke points less useful.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Sep 2003, 14:16   #55
Ärketrollmannen
Ajaj Kapten!

Quote:
Originally posted by Iceaxe
Wrong. Send in 20 equally trained men with government backing and bam, they're done for. The government will obviously have more resources then 6-7 guys, so its not at all impossible to stop them.
Send in?

It's not like they are not moving, wich is basically their biggest advantage, they just want to get the heck out of there
Unread 5 Sep 2003, 00:03   #56
Eskimo
Foolish newbie

Eskimo is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
To answer the original posters question :

The men would be unstoppable.

If they truly have the resources you said,

They would simply blow thru anything, and would shoot thru any person.

Well trained men are immensly difficult to stop.

In a time of mobile phones, helicopters and guns, surely a country, its police force and innocent bystanders would be proficient enough to locate (if they were truely 'blowing thru anything') and neutralize a small yet organised group of men.

Also, your example is truely crap :P Mythology and/or legends arent exactly known for their accuracy.

It is also said that Samson beat up a gazillion fillistines on his own using just a mule's bone :P
C. Shouldn't have sat next to you on the bus in the first place.

Last edited by Eskimo; 5 Sep 2003 at 00:12.
Eskimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Sep 2003, 03:57   #57
QazokRouge5
Back from timeout.

QazokRouge5 is a jewel in the roughQazokRouge5 is a jewel in the roughQazokRouge5 is a jewel in the rough
Learn to read you p0ms...
i said

If they truly had all resources at thier disposal, they would be very difficult to stop.

I didnt say impossible, i said difficult.

I'm not saying thier invincible, but if theyr as well trained and equipped as you say, they are damn close.

Resources include support etc.

And for the twat who made the crack about vietnam...

In case you have forgotten, all of the vietnam soldiers were 18 fresh out of high school. so stfukthxbye.
Quote:
Originally posted by Yahwe
Gay ducks only do it because it impresses their peers.
QazokRouge5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Sep 2003, 08:41   #58
Ärketrollmannen
Ajaj Kapten!

What support do you mean?

Maybe they have a boat waiting by the coast or something?

I pondered this as if it could happen in Sweden and we never have far to the coast
Unread 5 Sep 2003, 13:21   #59
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Resources include support etc.
Well, aside from the fact that the initial post implied that they were on their own, noone is questioning that they would be DIFFICULT to stop, just they have little inherent superiority over the people the other authorities would have (Send in the SAS, kind of thing)
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Sep 2003, 14:29   #60
Ärketrollmannen
Ajaj Kapten!

Quote:

And for the twat who made the crack about vietnam...

In case you have forgotten, all of the vietnam soldiers were 18 fresh out of high school. so stfukthxbye.
And the vietnamese soldiers were any better?
Unread 5 Sep 2003, 21:45   #61
Archi
Mack Daddy

Archi is an unknown quantity at this point
Actually something real close to that happened in LA a few years ago. Some guys with body armor and automatic weapons jacked up a bank. They didnt have an armored vehicle though. However the police were heavily outgunned, and had to resort to going to a gun store to even the odds. The robbers were eventually killed in their attempt to make a getaway. Needless to say the L.A.P.D. have since gotten the firepower to deal with a repeat situation.

It was also a big problem in the US in the 30's as the Thompson submachine gun was prevelant across the nation. People like John Dillinger, Pretty Boy Floyd, Bonnie and Clyde, and a host of others were running rampant in the American Heartland robbing banks left and right. Some of them had the smart idea of burning the mortages that the banks held on the local population, gaining them a lot of sympathy during the height of the depression. Making them even harder to catch. This lead to the creation of the FBI and the banning of fully automatic weapons to the common citizenry.
Unread 5 Sep 2003, 23:21   #62
huh
WHY DID YOU PUSH GRANDMA

huh is an unknown quantity at this point
If they only went to very scarcely populated areas and killed everyone who they saw, perhaps anyone in the nearby area, then surely no one would ever know what they looked like/what vehicle they were driving.
huh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Sep 2003, 02:00   #63
W
Gubbish

W is a jewel in the roughW is a jewel in the roughW is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally posted by Ärketrollmannen
Wich country do you live in?

And what is Catch?

And AG3's?

He lives in Norway

I have no idea what Catch is, and was wondering the same thing

AG3 is the norwegian armys name for the H&K G3 assault rifle.
Unread 6 Sep 2003, 02:18   #64
Snurx
Dirte

Snurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Quote:
Wich country do you live in?

And what is Catch?

And AG3's?

Norway! (as W said!)

Catch is as far as i know, a special task-force inside the police that specializes in more organized crime, like moneytransport robbieries, drugs and stuff like that. But, i don't really know much about them :\

AG3's are the norwegian army gun. I don't know much about it (Unlike W, i think?), but i hear that's it's really powerfull.
Snurx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Sep 2003, 05:42   #65
cnaw
Ancient

cnaw is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Snurx
Norway! (as W said!)

Catch is as far as i know, a special task-force inside the police that specializes in more organized crime, like moneytransport robbieries, drugs and stuff like that. But, i don't really know much about them :\

AG3's are the norwegian army gun. I don't know much about it (Unlike W, i think?), but i hear that's it's really powerfull.
I'm going to take a wild guess (well its not that wild as google was my friend) and say that the AG3 is Norway's version of the G3
Falling from grace, the human race
Religion can never unite us
Only a few will stay on the barricades"
-Masterplan
cnaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Sep 2003, 15:45   #66
Chrism
Governor General

Chrism is a jewel in the roughChrism is a jewel in the roughChrism is a jewel in the roughChrism is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally posted by JammyJim
they have to pass a special bill to get it done tho.
Blair sent troops onto the streets near Heathrow last year, without needing any legislative authority, plus there's incidents like Loughall.
Unread 6 Sep 2003, 16:58   #67
QazokRouge5
Back from timeout.

QazokRouge5 is a jewel in the roughQazokRouge5 is a jewel in the roughQazokRouge5 is a jewel in the rough
To answer... Jakiri's post,

By disarming i meant that the persians had to kill the Spartans, rather then just take away thier weapons. Which i believe was thier primary intention.
Quote:
Unread 6 Sep 2003, 16:59   #68
QazokRouge5
Back from timeout.

Quote:
And the vietnamese soldiers were any better?
I cant say that they were or wern't, I wasnt there.
Quote:
Unread 6 Sep 2003, 21:35   #69
SYMM
Love's Sweet Exile

SYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better place
Quote:
Originally posted by Chrism
Blair sent troops onto the streets near Heathrow last year, without needing any legislative authority, plus there's incidents like Loughall.
In the UK, the Armed Forces can be sent against "civillians" (Iranian Embassy is another example). In America, and most of Europe I believe, they can't (there's a latin phrase to describe the rule, but i forget it), hence the creation of SWAT and GSG-9 etc.
Unread 8 Sep 2003, 08:42   #70
Ärketrollmannen
Ajaj Kapten!

Quote:
Originally posted by Archi
Actually something real close to that happened in LA a few years ago. Some guys with body armor and automatic weapons jacked up a bank. They didnt have an armored vehicle though. However the police were heavily outgunned, and had to resort to going to a gun store to even the odds. The robbers were eventually killed in their attempt to make a getaway. Needless to say the L.A.P.D. have since gotten the firepower to deal with a repeat situation.

It was also a big problem in the US in the 30's as the Thompson submachine gun was prevelant across the nation. People like John Dillinger, Pretty Boy Floyd, Bonnie and Clyde, and a host of others were running rampant in the American Heartland robbing banks left and right. Some of them had the smart idea of burning the mortages that the banks held on the local population, gaining them a lot of sympathy during the height of the depression. Making them even harder to catch. This lead to the creation of the FBI and the banning of fully automatic weapons to the common citizenry.
The police couldn't shoot them down?

What did they do?

Get a rocketlauncher?
Unread 8 Sep 2003, 19:50   #71
Ärketrollmannen
Ajaj Kapten!

Quote:
To answer... Jakiri's post,

By disarming i meant that the persians had to kill the Spartans, rather then just take away thier weapons. Which i believe was thier primary intention.
Actually i don't think they really had a problem with killing them all
Unread 8 Sep 2003, 20:01   #72
Proteus
Lord Denning

Proteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriend
Quote:
Originally posted by Eskimo
Also, your example is truely crap :P Mythology and/or legends arent exactly known for their accuracy.
But the Battle of Thermopylae isn't myth or legend.
He was crowned in York Cathedral as 'Expert in the West' by Pope Urban III in 1186.
Proteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Sep 2003, 20:03   #73
Vermillion
Historian

Vermillion is a name known to allVermillion is a name known to allVermillion is a name known to allVermillion is a name known to allVermillion is a name known to allVermillion is a name known to all
In reality, they would hit their first target, cause a hell of a mess, and then would all be caught or dead within 2 hours.

Several of you people seem to have little understanding of the resources of the government in these matters. If the original incident was big enough to get real national attention, then all forces would be mobilised against them. I am sure taking them down might get messy, depending on how suicidal this group was, but the idea of some cross-country rampage while sherrif Roscoe P Coltrane looks on with a befuddled expression on his face is insanity.

If their best plan is to 'drive around in a stolen Hummv' then I suspect they would not even make it through the first incident would being nailed.

The only chance this group might have to hit multiple targets is if they stayed clear of cities, only hitting targets in the off country and tiny towns. Then they might be able to get multiple hits before they were found, caught and likely massacred.

"Et nunc, reges, intelligite, er udimini, qui judicati terram"
Vermillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Sep 2003, 20:05   #74
W
Gubbish

W is a jewel in the roughW is a jewel in the roughW is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally posted by Proteus
If it isn't, then the details of it surely are...
Unread 8 Sep 2003, 20:13   #75
Vermillion
Historian

Vermillion is a name known to allVermillion is a name known to allVermillion is a name known to allVermillion is a name known to allVermillion is a name known to allVermillion is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally posted by Proteus
A. Most of what you think you know about the battle is in fact Myth. There were about 12,000 Greeks defending the pass, and when they were betrayed and forced to withdraw from Thermopylae, about 1500 stayed behind as a rear guard, including Thespians, Thebians and 300 Spartans. The reason that the Spartans were so famous is that their unit, reduced and with heavy casualties, was the last unit of the rearguard to fall, after inflicting fearsome casualties. However, the majority of the Persian casualties were caused by the original Greek army, not by the rearguard.

B. Its still a godawful example.

"Et nunc, reges, intelligite, er udimini, qui judicati terram"
Vermillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Sep 2003, 20:15   #76
Proteus
Lord Denning

Proteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriend
Quote:
Originally posted by Vermillion
A. Most of what you think you know about the battle is in fact Myth.
That doesn't mean that the battle itself is myth, which is what was originally claimed.
He was crowned in York Cathedral as 'Expert in the West' by Pope Urban III in 1186.
Proteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Sep 2003, 07:35   #77
Ärketrollmannen
Ajaj Kapten!

Quote:
Originally posted by Vermillion
In reality, they would hit their first target, cause a hell of a mess, and then would all be caught or dead within 2 hours.

Several of you people seem to have little understanding of the resources of the government in these matters. If the original incident was big enough to get real national attention, then all forces would be mobilised against them. I am sure taking them down might get messy, depending on how suicidal this group was, but the idea of some cross-country rampage while sherrif Roscoe P Coltrane looks on with a befuddled expression on his face is insanity.

If their best plan is to 'drive around in a stolen Hummv' then I suspect they would not even make it through the first incident would being nailed.

The only chance this group might have to hit multiple targets is if they stayed clear of cities, only hitting targets in the off country and tiny towns. Then they might be able to get multiple hits before they were found, caught and likely massacred.
A while ago (I won't give any dates but i believe it was around three years ago) a band of bankrobberers (nazis, one of them was also black.....) killed two police officers here in Sweden. The country was outraged, simply because we are not used to that here, that was probably the first time in my life that i remember police officers actually getting killed "at their posts", they were executed with their own pistols after being shot down by the assaultrifles the robberers were carrying, it didn't take one or two hours ebfore they were caught it took weeks.

They just had to kill the first police officers and then slip away, obviously they were traced and captured, but it wasn't easy, and they didn't resist arrest since they were outnumbered, all in different places etc.

What if they had had their Hummv' (sp) and just decided not to wait for the police but to try for the coast immedietly.