User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 15 Jun 2006, 16:42   #1
Lοki
God of Fire and Mischief

Lοki is a jewel in the roughLοki is a jewel in the roughLοki is a jewel in the rough
New Covert Ops

As there are lots of threads about cov ops, and few ever get through, I think it's a good idea to summarize it and finally get some new cov ops in the game
  • Steal Roids cov op - quite the same as the destroy roids cov op, but steal instead of destroy
  • Cov op PDS
  • Fake Ships cov op
  • Overload amps to prevent a target from scanning for one tick - or better, prevent them to do a certain scan on you
  • Overload distorters so that they are penetrable with someone that has, say #ofAmps=0.8*distorters, for a set amount of ticks
  • Delay production: this one has been declined, but tbh I think it's not that bad an idea. If you don't want to risk anything you put your alertness higher, or build ships longer in advance.
  • Steal ships cov op - as the destroy ship one is underpowered, perhaps this would be an interesting replacement and a huge opportunity for the good cov opper!
  • A cov op that lets you know a target's engineering priorities
  • A cov op that shows the target's alliance, or gives 2 or 3 coords belonging to that alliance. Or something like it
  • A cov op to prevent people to cov op for a set amount of ticks!
  • A cov op to trade 5 or 10 stealth for alertness and vice versa?
  • A cov op that may reveal how many fake fleets there are being launched at a target.
  • A cov op to delay a whole fleet for one tick

Some of these may be shot down quickly, but I think cov ops should be a stronger part of the game. The only three worth it are stealing resources and destroying amps/dists or other buildings. If the planet has high security, only resource transfer is useful. Cov ops could be used for an alternative way or whole new tactics.

I'd also like to see no planet being able to be really immume. 90% immumity should be max I think

Have an other idea or comments? please post it here. If something is definately shot down i will make it a different color like gray
Lοki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Jun 2006, 16:14   #2
Lοki
God of Fire and Mischief

Lοki is a jewel in the roughLοki is a jewel in the roughLοki is a jewel in the rough
Re: New Covert Ops

lol ...

Views: 1, which is me xD
Unread 25 Jun 2006, 18:00   #3
Monroe
Planetarion Forum Moderator

Monroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud of

Some good ideas, some bad ideas. As you pointed out lots of threads on this topic. Honestly I don't think the PA team is going to have much movement on this topic anytime soon. Covert ops are pretty good the way there are, and there are plenty of players who would rather just see them go away I think, and adding more at this time would just add to the complaints.

#strategy
Monroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Jun 2006, 18:46   #4
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Most suggestions are either over-powered or totally pointless (much like the 'reduce your target's stealth' cov-op).

For example, revealing a planet's alliance would be horrifically powerful, as is the ability to delay a target's fleets.
Unread 27 Jun 2006, 09:30   #5
Lοki
God of Fire and Mischief

Quote:
Originally Posted by furball
Most suggestions are either over-powered or totally pointless (much like the 'reduce your target's stealth' cov-op).

For example, revealing a planet's alliance would be horrifically powerful, as is the ability to delay a target's fleets.
it depends on the way you look at it. The reduce stealth cov op is a way to prevent someone from eg. cov opping your ally all the time. Not too useful, but more useful than some of the current cov ops...

The ability to delay fleets is too powerful, I agree. But revealing someone's alliance... personally I think it would be good if you could just see everyone's alliance. If you really want to get an alliance's coords and gather some intel, you have all of them in notime. What's the point to do it then? Obviously everyone will disagree because they want their alliances to be "secret". So to make that a bit harder, let them switch a priority to security if they think secrecy is so important. This is quite in favor of the lower ranked alliances, as they usually don't keep an intel list on everyone.
Unread 27 Jun 2006, 10:29   #6
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Actually, the main reason why people disagree with making alliance information public is because the most vulnerable are those in a bottom or no alliance. They receive additional incoming as people know that they are far less likely to be helped.

THere is quite alot of discussion on this scenario - if you want i can post some threads where its been done to death before, but atm i cba. soz .
Ultimate Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Aug 2006, 14:59   #7
SpookyVince
The Force of Spookyness

SpookyVince is just really niceSpookyVince is just really niceSpookyVince is just really niceSpookyVince is just really niceSpookyVince is just really nice

OK, this is an old threat, but I thought it would be pointless to start a new "new cov ops" thread, since this one is here...

Has anybody ever suggested a cov op that could steal research? Something like getting an advance of 1 to X ticks on your own ongoing research, that is only if the target has already finished that research of course?

I think that maybe it could replace the 2nd current cov op, Network Charting (reduce stealth of target), which I don't think is really useful... Personnally, I use cov ops on a fairly regular basis, but I never used that one... After being able to tamper with target's research, why not be able to steal a bit of it?
SpookyVince is offline   Reply With Quote