User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 5 Jan 2004, 14:13   #1
Evergreen
the merciless

Evergreen is infamous around these partsEvergreen is infamous around these parts
Feel Good Foods?! (Moreover Advertising vs Government)

Sounds like a whole new tangent on Comfort eating tbh if you further inspect though* you could reach conclusions of promoting recreational drug use or even Corporation subliminal mind control.

*investigate as in how Father Dougal would.

Mackie's of Scotland, which makes ice cream - is adding essence of orchid to its product, claiming it will make you feel happy "and your spirits fly".

On the obvious most simple line of thought it tell's me this is them trying to justify charging an extortianate price like most other up-market brand name ice creams like Ben&Jerry's and Hagan Daz.

On another notion why are they telling us we don't feel good? I mean seriously has society gotten to the point where we allow ourselves to be told by the media, by business and by the goverment how should we think, feel and spend?

With rising obesity and increasing use of plastic surgeons in the uk, it's easy to assume that the nations self-esteem is at a new low and it seems everyonein business is capatilising on this. The Atkins diet has been plugged to mainly help revive a flagging meat industry whilst ignoring the long-term proven well-being of it's customer base. Confectionary companies have been playing on esteem issues by trying to go for promotions with a generally improve the health of the nation feel(Hey I might be getting fatter if I eat this chocolate bar but this wrapper means I'm helping someone's kid get fit... admittedly cadbury's tried this too late/soon). With anti-depressents having a derisory stigma about them (and the fact that they don't look pretty on an application form when you have to list any medication you are taking) are companies praying on foods that are suppose to alter your mood(Admittedly with what looks like no scientific back-up or medical reccomdations) to hook a new market that have to work in a competitive authorative enviroment? (Call-Centre's, the ever expanding commission based retail market to name a couple)

We've known that advertising have always been into psycholigically preying on it's prospective customer base (Carpeting Fast Food/Junk Food and Toy advertising in childrens magazines, Schools and during Children Tv Programming hours). However, given they are now recieving a customer backlash over children advertising, do you think it's a case of advertisers are moving on and applying the same methods to a new area?

Has goverment intervention on the behalf of children and the advertisiments aimed at them proved to close to being totalitarian already or is it extenuating circumstances regards the mental capacity of those affected. Importantly given how ill-recieved that childrens advertising ended up, will there/should there be goverment intervention at this new level of advertising where advertisers and corporation alike are attacking the psyche of the spending adult population in a more direct manner.

Personally I'm finding it very hard as to where one can start drawing the lines here between protecting the public and going too far, as it can be argued that we all have the potential to realise this under our current standard of living.

I have felt that in the past I have been vindicated in boycotting food manufacturer's like Nestle with regards to the abuse of their african workforce and moreover the african population by misinformation via promotion of their products and brand name. Specifically encouraging african mothers that their powdered milk is better for their young than breast milk, which while it has been argued here against powdered milk it is even more shocking considering the qater quality in africa.

However I am unsure in feeling I could take my vindications against corporations who try to manipulate the market here, I shall certainly not boycott mackie's but I will not buy in to their current advertising campaign that's for sure.

Do any of you find advertising these days to be patronizing, or boycott certain food corporations for certain reasons we may or may not be aware of, or lastly feel that the goverment intervention on behalf of parent lobby groups against advertising towards children was already a step too far or a step in the right direction and should it be prevented/continue?

[Edit] I wanted to provide more sources to back up certain points of my argument here but unfortunately one of my preferred resource I draw my facts from is a bit slow atm so expect me to add them later.

<Jassy> aryn, how can u let ppl spread shit in this chan? ur not doing ur job properly if u let ppl spread shit
<Jassy> in real life sunday would be in court
<Jassy> i can get him glined
<Jassy> #feds are here to stamp out abuse

<mist|zZz> we don't do channel politics, /ignore is your friend
Evergreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Jan 2004, 14:22   #2
Spike

Re: Feel Good Foods?! (Moreover Advertising vs Government)

That was way too long, so I didn't read it.

Carry on
Unread 5 Jan 2004, 14:25   #3
Evergreen
the merciless

Evergreen is infamous around these partsEvergreen is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike
That was way too long, so I didn't read it.

Carry on
Someone delete that post and anyone else who posts with absolutely no notion of entertaining this topic please to keep the thread clean.

(I have realised I prolly posted this too early and should of waited for idiot gimmick/spam account to go to bed)

<Jassy> aryn, how can u let ppl spread shit in this chan? ur not doing ur job properly if u let ppl spread shit

Unread 5 Jan 2004, 14:44   #4
lokken
BlueTuba

lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergreen

Do any of you find advertising these days to be patronizing, or boycott certain food corporations for certain reasons we may or may not be aware of, or lastly feel that the goverment intervention on behalf of parent lobby groups against advertising towards children was already a step too far or a step in the right direction and should it be prevented/continue?
Well personally I eat food because i like the taste. Other than that, I don't buy 'premium' ice cream as it seems you pay ££££££££ to get fk all in return, bloody nice though it is.

The only food corporation I 'boycott' as such is McD's as their food quality simply nosedived to the point 2 years ago that their double cheeseburger made me sick, so they can get bent as far as I'm concerned. On the other hand BK still churn out burgers to my taste and I'm willing to pay that little bit extra to ensure I actually get some sort of meat in my mass produced burger. Hypocrite am I.
Unread 5 Jan 2004, 15:40   #5
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Government intervention to protect children can be justified on a legal/libertarian basis.

On a practical level, boycotts are generally are a double edged sword. While I'd support any action at all for people to "take the power back", they can allow people to think that they've done their bit, as well as slipping as into moralistic analysis of capitalism (e.g. the good capitalists vs the baddies). Plus they're disproportionately useful to the wealthy. People on very low incomes don't necessarily have the luxury of avoiding specific brands, etc - they have to go for those products "on special offer".

On fast-food, people can just exercise a little will power.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Jan 2004, 15:42   #6
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

ps the big tasty is great if you hold it over the box and let it drip for about 10 seconds
Phang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Jan 2004, 15:44   #7
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Zinger Tower Burger = Good
Unread 5 Jan 2004, 15:46   #8
Evergreen
the merciless

Zinger wrap, but I feel we are wavering from the argument here ladies.

What's your opinion on this preying on the self-esteem of adults these days btw Dante?

Unread 5 Jan 2004, 15:46   #9
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
Zinger Tower Burger = Good
only with a large jug of water.

CHICKEN BURGERS SHOULD NOT BE SPICY, AND DEFINITELY NOT 'NOTICEABLY SPICY'
Phang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Jan 2004, 17:17   #10
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergreen
What's your opinion on this preying on the self-esteem of adults these days btw Dante?
There are different layers of argument here. Would I sleep with an attractive stupid woman through trickery? Probably.

Overall, the whole issue is muddled though. A lot of this seems to be mixed up with reformist illusions. Yes, of course (some) capitalist firms will prey on the weakest people if a profit can be made. Why wouldn’t they? Even if we presumed every board member of the combined FTSE100 were shining moral beacons of light a new startup would try it, to gain an advantage.

Getting annoyed at capitalist firms from acting in such a manner seems a little pointless. Yes, it’s evil, despicable, etc. But it’s what they’re doing under the logic of the system.

Better to create alternatives at the grass-roots level for everyone. Alternative media so we don’t need to watch their crappy advertised filled TV, alternative websites so we don’t need to read their drivel. Let them get on with their madness, there’s still a world to win.

edit : Chomsky is right, the #1 lesson kids don't learn in school is ideological (or psychological) self-defence.
Unread 5 Jan 2004, 17:38   #11
queball
Ball

queball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so little

Solution: switch off the TV and put Rx Bandits - Overcome on winamp.
queball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Jan 2004, 17:41   #12
Dante Hicks
Clerk

TV isn't actually that bad. If you just watch downloaded TV episodes without the ads (which is the standard these days) and ignore any product placements, you'll get plenty of high quality entertainment with minimal brain damange.
Unread 5 Jan 2004, 17:43   #13
Evergreen
the merciless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Hicks

edit : Chomsky is right, the #1 lesson kids don't learn in school is ideological (or psychological) self-defence.
That's the best argument ever made. (Not sarcasm)

That's a whole nother thread though and one I think would have potential though be one-sided.

Unread 5 Jan 2004, 19:22   #14
JamMak
Cynical Optimist

JamMak has much to be proud ofJamMak has much to be proud ofJamMak has much to be proud ofJamMak has much to be proud ofJamMak has much to be proud ofJamMak has much to be proud ofJamMak has much to be proud ofJamMak has much to be proud of

Mackies make evil ice cream
I am from the Mackie family of Scotland
Therefore, I am evil
JamMak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Jan 2004, 19:27   #15
Weeks
Banned

Weeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriend

People aren't happy in my experience.

Advertising plays of the unhappiness of society, it sells good to people claiming to cure the unhappiness the orginal advertising and products have caused in the first place.

Goverment is not in the right place to stop this, and moreover won't cos it gets too much money from it. The only time it will, or has done, is when it had had too much pressure from parents or the general population, hence why the goverment doesn't want GM foods.

I don't know why Europe decided they didn't want GM food, but they did and forced thier goverments to tell the US to keep their GM crops where they were. Probably due to the mass-media, and as long as we are in the grips of murdock we are kind of ****ed.

[edit] oh, and i don't think it's a totalitarian state when the goverment bans something due to the pressure of the populous. As they are just protecting the populous from something they don't want. One of the prime activites a goverment should undertake.

[edit][edit] oh oh, boycotting that ice cream is a good idea. However if you want it to be effective you need to own a large amount of well distributed trashy newspapers telling everyone to boycott the ice cream.

Last edited by Weeks; 5 Jan 2004 at 19:33.
Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote