User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 28 Feb 2010, 12:55   #1
Gate
;D!

Gate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Aaron Ramsey's broken leg

Arsenal's Aaron Ramsey got his leg snapped in half by Stoke City's Ryan Shawcross.

Hours later, Shawcross is named in the England squad for our next friendly, with training at Arsenal (ouch). Arsenal fans the internet over are up in arms about how they're not protected enough, the FA should ban tackles like that and Shawcross should be banned for the season/as long as Ramsey is injured for.

Stoke fans say Arsenal should man the **** up, football's a contact sport and it was a horrible result from a fair 50:50 tackle.

Opinions?
Gate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Mar 2010, 14:47   #2
Tietäjä
Good Son

Tietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better place
Re: Aaron Ramsey's broken leg

I can't really see it as a Roy Keane type of a tackle. These things happen in a sport that has a lot of physical contact. I don't think it was malicious - and to expect a center back to play soft just to avoid someone getting accidentally injured isn't really good either.

Moving on with it. I actually watched the bit again. Both players were going for the ball with some momentum. Sure, Shawcross was late going for the ball, but Ramsey was coming in with speed too, and, if you ask me, if he'd not been injured that badly, nobody would be calling it a horror tackle.
Tietäjä is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Mar 2010, 20:41   #3
Gate
;D!

Gate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tietäjä View Post
I can't really see it as a Roy Keane type of a tackle. These things happen in a sport that has a lot of physical contact. I don't think it was malicious - and to expect a center back to play soft just to avoid someone getting accidentally injured isn't really good either.

Moving on with it. I actually watched the bit again. Both players were going for the ball with some momentum. Sure, Shawcross was late going for the ball, but Ramsey was coming in with speed too, and, if you ask me, if he'd not been injured that badly, nobody would be calling it a horror tackle.
Some of the Arsenal fans' reactions were funny.

One guy suggested that tackles off the ground shouldn't be allowed.

A mate and I tried out a quick knock about without allowing our feet to leave the ground. Pretty shit game, and I stubbed my toe.
Gate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Mar 2010, 22:38   #4
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Someone pasted me this article on the incident. I'd been talking about that sort of thing before, not that players or managers go out trying to kill arsenal but that they're told to get stuck in more and to contend for every ball and that injuries like this are the inevitable end result.
Unread 1 Mar 2010, 23:47   #5
t3k
The Video Guy

t3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond repute

It was clearly just a dive.
Unread 2 Mar 2010, 11:36   #6
Tietäjä
Good Son

Tietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better place

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBGood View Post
Someone pasted me this article on the incident. I'd been talking about that sort of thing before, not that players or managers go out trying to kill arsenal but that they're told to get stuck in more and to contend for every ball and that injuries like this are the inevitable end result.
So, to pin it down. Because competitive football is not communism where we before games agree who gets to win and who gets to lose for the greater good, we're stuck with a competitive status quo where Ramsey's feet are the inevitable victims of this capitalistic thrill. The obvious response to this elaborate strike from the French fencing team, is categorical imperative.

How do we solve the problem of competition causing injuries in football, or competition causing problems in capitalism? Because we're mainly curious about the former, we'll come down with a solution: by eliminating competition, we can eliminate injuries that are a result of competition. By promoting removal of competition to a maxim, we can get rid of competition all in all. Due to the no contradiction argument, football as a competitive sport now dies. Everyone's happy, and football's freed from the reigns of the evil capitalism, and nobody's legs will be torn apart because everyone knows how the game ends before it starts so there's no need to lunge into tackles against triple Arse's glass feet.

Or, is Mr. Wenger in fact digging his own grave playing so that it essentially forces people to chop their feet off? Every time I watch Arsenal play someone I'm more or less waiting for someone to chop Fabregas, because it's the way you play them. Why doesn't this happen to Manchester United, Chelsea, or Manchester City in the amount it seems to happen to team Arse-Arse-Arse? Perhaps the person who is throwing stones around in glass houses should look in the mirror if it's still intact for the reason why everyone goes hard on his team.

What I mean is, why aren't Wayne Rooney and Didier Drogba riding wheelchairs yet?
Unread 2 Mar 2010, 11:46   #7
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

lol
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Mar 2010, 21:42   #8
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
So, to pin it down. Because competitive football is not communism where we before games agree who gets to win and who gets to lose for the greater good, we're stuck with a competitive status quo where Ramsey's feet are the inevitable victims of this capitalistic thrill. The obvious response to this elaborate strike from the French fencing team, is categorical imperative.
I feel you may be better off replying to the blog dear. Or perhaps arguing in some retarded wikipedia article discussion thread?

Quote:
How do we solve the problem of competition causing injuries in football, or competition causing problems in capitalism?
It's not a problem. It's just a thing. Unless you really like "football" (in the sense of pass and movement and technique) and worry about "competition in football" (as in bringing the opposition down to your level by kicking them) wrecking "football". In which case you want to recategorise tackles, add a "possible to cause serious injury" and a "likely to cause serious injury" category and then ban players for those types of tackles. Or something like that.

Although this was all sarcasm anyways so who cares oh isn't the internet tiresome and tedious, watch while I feign disinterest and post ironically in a world-weary fashion.
Unread 2 Mar 2010, 22:02   #9
Kargool
Up The Hatters!

Kargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet society

If only it was Gordon Ramsey
Unread 3 Mar 2010, 12:54   #10
Tietäjä
Good Son

Quote:
Although this was all sarcasm anyways so who cares oh isn't the internet tiresome and tedious, watch while I feign disinterest and post ironically in a world-weary fashion.

Next time I'm going to link to you about the dangers of wasting oxygen.
Unread 3 Mar 2010, 13:38   #11
JonnyBGood
Banned

Quote:
Next time I'm going to link to you about the dangers of wasting oxygen.
Next time I'm going to link you to the logout button for the forums.
Unread 3 Mar 2010, 14:35   #12
Tietäjä
Good Son

It logs in automatically.
Unread 3 Mar 2010, 17:34   #13
Yahwe
I am.

Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

shame
Unread 3 Mar 2010, 21:06   #14
Donar

Donar is just really niceDonar is just really niceDonar is just really niceDonar is just really nice

it's a horrific injury but doesn't really look intentionally
Unread 4 Mar 2010, 09:42   #15
Tietäjä
Good Son

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahwe View Post
shame

It says "Thank you for logging in". If it said "**** off, don't do this again" it'd be less encouraging.
Unread 4 Mar 2010, 10:39   #16
Yahwe
I am.

Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I said that was a mistake at the time.
Unread 12 Mar 2010, 11:17   #17
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
add a "possible to cause serious injury" and a "likely to cause serious injury" category and then ban players for those types of tackles. Or something like that.
These are already in the LOAF. The thing is that people can be injured from very very minor things - the guy at 2 in the Cambridge boat this year strained a pec while doing a sun salutation.

Running can potentially cause injury (cf Owen, Michael), getting hit with a football can break your leg (Smith, Alan), celebrating a goal can put you out for months (a surprisingly large list).

It's part of the game.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Mar 2010, 10:57   #18
Tietäjä
Good Son

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahwe View Post
I said that was a mistake at the time.
I was here before you dude (give me a witty reply to this comment, please).

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrL_JaKiri
Running can potentially cause injury (cf Owen, Michael), getting hit with a football can break your leg (Smith, Alan), celebrating a goal can put you out for months (a surprisingly large list).
This Finnish bloke called Jari Litmanen whilst playing at Malmö in Sweden hurt his ear because a board member popped a bottle cap to it and couldn't play for several weeks.

Also, I'd like to remind us all how Arsenal destroyed Porto because they were not chopping feet. If someone had just gone hard on Arshavin and Nasri from early on it'd prob been easier, but when you got a 130 pound guy dribbling into the box from between two people and nobody gives him a good whack on the feet you're bound to lose 5-0 to a team like gunners.