User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 11 Mar 2004, 21:53   #1
Ragnarak

Ragnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to behold
A-Levels - Entry ?

Okay i wondered if anyone knew who was responsible for entering an exam.

The situation is one of my mates has had quite a lot of stuff going on and had missed quite a few lessons. They've sorted themselves out now and have been a lot better but were ill last week and so missed a few days.

Anyway, they got their results today for some modular exams and came out with A's but they were then told by their teacher that he wouldn't be entering them for any summer exams in the subject due to their crappy attendance. This effectively means they fail the subject.

I believe the option to enter yourself for an exam is there but it seems like the teacher in question is being a complete twat and does he have that authority?

Also my mate is on for getting an A in this subject, other people in the class with far worse attendances got module results of U's/F's today but the teacher hasn't threatened them with anything like this, making it seem kind of personal or unprofessional.

Opinions/advice to pass on?
Are the best i've ever had
Ragnarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Mar 2004, 21:55   #2
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: A-Levels - Entry ?

You can't stop someone from sitting a public exam. Whether he can sit it at the school or not is another matter, which can be determined after conversing with the higher authorities within the school.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Mar 2004, 22:02   #3
Ragnarak

Ragnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrL_JaKiri
You can't stop someone from sitting a public exam. Whether he can sit it at the school or not is another matter, which can be determined after conversing with the higher authorities within the school.
Isn't it the teacher of the subject that 'puts you in for the exam'?

How do you go about doing this yourself? I get the feeling the teacher is just using this as a threat to make them turn up and work harder because they know they can do well but it could be possible the teacher's serious and is just a twat...

<edit> damn, forgot to mention that i think this teacher is the deputy head or at least of some importance...</edit>
Unread 11 Mar 2004, 22:10   #4
roadrunner_0
cynic

roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

so, go to the head, and if you get no satisfation there, go to your LEA, one way or another, you can get in for the exam.
Unread 11 Mar 2004, 23:01   #5
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Luckeh!!!! will become famous soon enoughLuckeh!!!! will become famous soon enough

I dunno where I heard or read this but...

although the exam itself is public, and you could in theory just teach/private tutor yourself at home, not any tom dick or harry can enter in, you need some sort of sponsor, like a school, they probably make you take some sort of preliminary exam just to see if you really are capable of sitting the exam, you also need to pay if entering externally.
Luckeh!!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Mar 2004, 23:16   #6
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckeh!!!!
not any tom dick or harry can enter in, you need some sort of sponsor, like a school
No you don't
Unread 11 Mar 2004, 23:38   #7
KraKto$is8
Lurker

KraKto$is8 is infamous around these parts

I think for A-levels there is a minimum # of hours of work required. So if your friend has a really crappy attendance, he can't sit the exam.

I might be wrong though.
Unread 12 Mar 2004, 01:30   #8
JamMak
Cynical Optimist

JamMak has much to be proud ofJamMak has much to be proud ofJamMak has much to be proud ofJamMak has much to be proud ofJamMak has much to be proud ofJamMak has much to be proud ofJamMak has much to be proud ofJamMak has much to be proud of

Got me three A's today baybeeeee
Well on course for AAA/AAB in the summer
Urm, sorry about the friend like tho!
JamMak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Mar 2004, 02:47   #9
Stew
Made of Twigs

Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

U mean ur gf failed? She should have turnned up!
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Mar 2004, 02:57   #10
Ragnarak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew
Heh
No, she did great
Unread 12 Mar 2004, 03:24   #11
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

You can enter any exam, without school attendance.

I did a couple of maths modules without any lesson attendance to get a Further Maths A-level, so the number of hours theory doesn't hold up either.

The teacher will probably just be giving out idle threats, to try to scare your mate into attending more.

He can do it at another institute, however it will cost him money (I forget the exact figure, it's somewhere between 20 and 40 quid though I think. Could be more).
Unread 12 Mar 2004, 08:17   #12
KraKto$is8
Lurker

It's possible the school won't let him do it if they think he'll fail. As it'll affect their statistics, league tables and whatnot.
Unread 12 Mar 2004, 08:36   #13
Obliterate
:cool:

Obliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant future

Try phoning up your exam board, I'm sure they'll be able to give you information about what to do.
Obliterate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Mar 2004, 09:41   #14
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by KraKto$is8
It's possible the school won't let him do it if they think he'll fail. As it'll affect their statistics, league tables and whatnot.
That's not only pseudoillegal, it goes against what the first post said.

Nice try though.
Unread 12 Mar 2004, 10:58   #15
Evil Skragg
And you expected Kittens?

Evil Skragg will become famous soon enoughEvil Skragg will become famous soon enough

You paid your tuition fees, so its yer right to sit the exam.
Unread 12 Mar 2004, 11:28   #16
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Skragg
You paid your tuition fees, so its yer right to sit the exam.
I think you're confused.
Unread 12 Mar 2004, 11:30   #17
Evil Skragg
And you expected Kittens?

Evil Skragg will become famous soon enoughEvil Skragg will become famous soon enough

???
I had to pay to go to college
(Mind you, it was a private school)
Unread 12 Mar 2004, 16:51   #18
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

i didnt go to any physics lessons for the whole second half of my A2 year.

i still got entered etc.
Unread 12 Mar 2004, 16:59   #19
KraKto$is8
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrL_JaKiri
That's not only pseudoillegal, it goes against what the first post said.
You think I read the first post?
Unread 12 Mar 2004, 17:45   #20
SeanG
Wick

SeanG is a jewel in the roughSeanG is a jewel in the roughSeanG is a jewel in the rough

My school often threatens people with threatening to withdraw them from exams (School - Colyton Grammar School, usually within t10 in the country in results etc)

Because we get quite good grades, those who are on the B/C grade borderlines are sometimes told that the school will not enter them for their exams for fear of ****ing up their league tables.

Solution - student pays for exams and enters himself into the exams and the school provides him with a 'home' to sit his exams.

Result - School's league tables are not ****ed up and the student takes his exams (admittedly at a cost)

<Desse> I am trying to breed a new superpod by leaving Unipods and Megapods alone in the same room with dim lights and Barry white on the cd player
SeanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Mar 2004, 18:04   #21
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

I believe some of this could be due to the funding the school/college gets for each person. The LEA funds the courses taken by students at A-Level and below and I believe I'm right in saying that any student who fails to attend a set amount of the course sees this funding cut. As such the school/college isnt going to spend the money to enter someone whom they arent getting funding for. Now I'm guessing the fact that this person hasnt been kicked out of school yet which is normally what happens at the same time as being told they wont enter you for an exam that in reality this is just a threat and its just that this person is very close to dipping below the level.

Anyway in most cases if your attendance isnt high enough to be entered you will be entered as long as you foot the bill for entry so as long as this person is willing to stump up the £20+ then it shouldnt be a problem.
The Farnborough Crew
Cos anything else is just an alliance
Join our public channel at #f-crew
wakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Mar 2004, 18:25   #22
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanG
My school often threatens people with threatening to withdraw them from exams (School - Colyton Grammar School, usually within t10 in the country in results etc)

Because we get quite good grades, those who are on the B/C grade borderlines are sometimes told that the school will not enter them for their exams for fear of ****ing up their league tables.

Solution - student pays for exams and enters himself into the exams and the school provides him with a 'home' to sit his exams.

Result - School's league tables are not ****ed up and the student takes his exams (admittedly at a cost)
my school was a lot like that 'tiffin school for boys' also normally in the top ten (not in my year i think though, hehe). I still got let into everything though, i like to think that was because of all my teachers loving me despite my terrible habits and laziness.

anyway, i did my exams... and kinda failed A2 physics i think i got the only U at physics they had had for 10 years or something. So i left my mark.

anyway, back on topic. They are probably just talking rubbish to scare your mate.
Unread 12 Mar 2004, 19:32   #23
Stew
Made of Twigs

Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Oops - soooo dont remember writing that - was v.v.drunk - apologies.
Unread 12 Mar 2004, 19:50   #24
Ragnarak

Quote:
Oops - soooo dont remember writing that - was v.v.drunk - apologies.
heh, you got really drunk and then came on gd to post

only person you should apologise to is yourself
Unread 12 Mar 2004, 20:01   #25
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Skragg
???
I had to pay to go to college
(Mind you, it was a private school)
The enigma is solved!
Unread 12 Mar 2004, 21:37   #26
Stew
Made of Twigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnarak
heh, you got really drunk and then came on gd to post

only person you should apologise to is yourself
I kno, I'm ashamed, I was drunk so can't explain my actions! /o\
Unread 12 Mar 2004, 23:26   #27
vampire_lestat
Mathamagician

vampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet society

the entry fee for OCR/Edexel/AQA exams is about £15 in my collage for retakes etc.

The teacher is probably talking shit, complain to a higher authority.
Unread 13 Mar 2004, 15:25   #28
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepflow
my school was a lot like that 'tiffin school for boys' .
You went to Tiffins?
I got into there, at the 11+ thing. I also got the scholarship for the Royal Grammar School in Guildford, where I was planning on going. (ho ho how the mighty intelligent have fallen)
But then my mum got a job in Jersey so I had to move out there :/
Unread 13 Mar 2004, 15:36   #29
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

yeah, i went to tiffins for seven pretty awful years. Rather an authoritarian, old fashioned place. With posh aspirations and an obsession with exam results. It is quite strange to think how close 2 people from these forums came to going to the same school at the same time though.

although i personally wish id failed the 11 plus and gone to a normal mixed school.