User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 4 May 2005, 17:03   #1
G.K Zhukov
Evil inside

G.K Zhukov is an unknown quantity at this point
UK faking its unemployment statistics?

According to the UN statistics I found that from 1990 to 2003 there has been a decline in the unemployment rate in the UK from 6.9 to 4.9%.

However, I found that there has been as little as 1.276.000 more jobs created in that period, when at the same time there was 2.550.000 more inhabitants.
This doesnt add up.
However, I've read somewhere that becouse of the political "complications" with a unemployment (looks bad for the politicians etc) the way the UK unemployment rate has been changed 18 times the last two decades.

Can anyone please help me here?
<Almeida> well i like to grow fat myself too, and when i have enough ships then i can engage in big battles
<Nantoz> Zhukov for Lord Protector!
<Jakiri> (Windows)XP was fine on release
G.K Zhukov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 May 2005, 17:12   #2
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: UK faking its unemployment statistics?

I expect you're right, Zhukov.

Actually, if I remember correctly, the Blair Government changed the method of measuring the number of unemployed from the number of people out of work to the number claiming Jobseekers' Allowance.

Obviously the latter is a lower number. Handy that, when it comes to meeting targets.
Unread 4 May 2005, 17:18   #3
onetwothree
4 5 6

onetwothree is a name known to allonetwothree is a name known to allonetwothree is a name known to allonetwothree is a name known to allonetwothree is a name known to allonetwothree is a name known to all

employment targets are stupid.
onetwothree is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 May 2005, 18:09   #4
SYMM
Love's Sweet Exile

SYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better place

Yet again, someone on GD provides us with a new and exciting insight into the world we live in.
At your discretion, replace 'new' with 'well known' and 'exciting' with 'dull'.
Unread 4 May 2005, 18:19   #5
No Dachi

No Dachi is infamous around these parts

Unemployment has as such fallen due to demographic shifts; Britain has an ageing populace, and you will find that even if Britain has had 2.5 million new inhabitants to 1.5 million new jobs, as long as more people are leaving the labour market (by retiring, because they're old) than entering it (by seeking work, because they're young), the rate of unemployment is going to fall.

Labour has, however, changed the way it's measured. They switched from one system (possibly claimant count - I can't actually remember) to a system where they phone up an accurate cross-section of the populace (gender, age, class, etc) and ask them if they've been seeking work and for how long they've been doing so. Any current method of compiling unemployment figures can be seen as underestimating the true figure. While I can't remember what the previous system was, I'm fairly sure that the present system generally returns a higher figure than it did.
That Noble Sin; whilst Luxury
Emply'd a Million of the Poor,
And odious Pride a Million more.'

-The Grumbling Hive: or, Knaves Turn'd Honest, Bernard Mandeville
No Dachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 May 2005, 18:27   #6
midge5
mmm lambs

midge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better place

The method that the British government uses is provided by the Labour Force Survey. This is defined as people who are without a job but have actively sought work in the last four weeks and are available to start work within the next two weeks. Or those who are out of work but have found a job which they are starting within the next two weeks. An alternate method used in the UK is the claimant count method which records how many people are claiming unemployment benefits. In March 2003 the LFS said UK unemployment was 5.1%(1.5million people) while the claimant count said 3.1%(0.937 million ).

As for the unemployment % not adding up. It could just be a lot of them extra 2.5million people are not of working age therefore do not count in unemployment statistics. One example would be the incresae in early retirement which takes them people out of the unemployment lists. In areasa such as Merthyr and other south Wales valleys there has also been a huge increase in the long term sick with things like back problems or depression which are hard to diagnose. These people also get removed from the unemployed lists which helps reduce the figures.
Unread 4 May 2005, 18:46   #7
Yahwe
I am.

Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

why would anyone care?
Unread 4 May 2005, 18:51   #8
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Countries have e-penises too?
Unread 4 May 2005, 19:17   #9
G.K Zhukov
Evil inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahwe
why would anyone care?
Couse comparing UK to Germany is part of my thesis?
<Almeida> well i like to grow fat myself too, and when i have enough ships then i can engage in big battles
Unread 4 May 2005, 19:22   #10
Yahwe
I am.

Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.K Zhukov
sorry i should have made it clear.

why would anyone else care?
Unread 4 May 2005, 19:23   #11
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Economically? I'm assuming you're not comparing every single facet of the UK and germany. I doubt there's a university course in that for one, although this might be some kind of night thing you do in between polar bear fights I'm unsure
Unread 4 May 2005, 19:26   #12
Kurashima
Has Soup On His Head

Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
why would anyone care?
We care a Lot.

GD - Home of People Who Care
In his zeal to discover the Snark
Kurashima is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 May 2005, 21:10   #13
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Also when you have been out of work for 6 months you are pushed onto the New Deal Scheme. As part of this they will try and push you to attend a 6 month training scheme. The company running the training will have you there for a couple of days to work towards qualifications and the rest of the time they find you a unpaid work placement to gain you some practical experiance to go with your qualification. Now those on this scheme are considered to now be in work even though they are still claiming benifits, as far as the figures are concerned your working for the training agency. I dont know how many people are on such schemes at one time but with each one having atleast 50 people at one time and more people apparently being sent on such things there has to be a fair amount of those unemplyed who arent on the figures
The Farnborough Crew
Cos anything else is just an alliance
Join our public channel at #f-crew
wakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 May 2005, 21:30   #14
G.K Zhukov
Evil inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBGood
Economically? I'm assuming you're not comparing every single facet of the UK and germany. I doubt there's a university course in that for one, although this might be some kind of night thing you do in between polar bear fights I'm unsure
Certainly not. I've chosen GDP per capita and unemployment rate as the two main things.
My thesis is named "The relative decline of the german economy 1990-2003".
Unread 5 May 2005, 00:10   #15
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Tactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Exclamation Re: UK faking its unemployment statistics?

Quote:
Certainly not. I've chosen GDP per capita and unemployment rate as the two main things.
My thesis is named "The relative decline of the german economy 1990-2003".
The Telegraph had an article a couple of months ago on the German decline in GDP per capita.
The Ottawa Citizen and Southam News wish to apologize for our apology to Mark Steyn, published Oct. 22. In correcting the incorrect statements about Mr. Steyn published Oct. 15, we incorrectly published the incorrect correction. We accept and regret that our original regrets were unacceptable and we apologize to Mr. Steyn for any distress caused by our previous apology.
Tactitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 May 2005, 13:19   #16
G.K Zhukov
Evil inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactitus
The Telegraph had an article a couple of months ago on the German decline in GDP per capita.
Every newspaper on this planet have had an article about Germany's GDP the last 3 months
Unread 5 May 2005, 16:33   #17
Boogster
I dunno...

Boogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud of

The Lincolnshire Echo?

I think not.
Unread 5 May 2005, 17:22   #18
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I agree with the following 2 posts:

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetwothree
employment targets are stupid.
Quote:
why would anyone care?
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 May 2005, 17:24   #19
zakoff
Evul Critter

zakoff is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodrog
I agree with the following 2 posts:

me too.

also

"There are three kinds
of lies: lies, damned lies and statistics." Mark Twain.
Unread 5 May 2005, 17:34   #20
G.K Zhukov
Evil inside

Anyone have any links to newspaper articles or anything about this "tampering" with the UK unemployment rate?
Unread 18 May 2005, 23:38   #21
midge5
mmm lambs

midge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better place

I have no idea if you still need the information but

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4558191.stm

could be useful for you.