User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 15 Sep 2004, 14:51   #1
wu_trax

wu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet society
i starting to become a little less pro-EU

so, ok, they want to push through these stupid software patents, which will make live worse for all people in europe, or at least all working in that sector, and most likely will cost jobs.
on the other hand they have a problem if car companies dont want their car-parts to be copied by some east-asian company, for 10% of the costs and at a lower quality.

is it just me or doesnt that make any sence? they allow patents where they make no sence, block innovation and cost extra money, but remove protection for those who should have it
Unread 15 Sep 2004, 14:58   #2
KaneED
Motherfracker

KaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond repute
Re: i starting to become a little less pro-EU

details?
KaneED is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Sep 2004, 15:36   #3
Flayer
Wankoverable

Flayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of light

whats the exact status on the software patents in the EU?
Unread 15 Sep 2004, 16:28   #4
wu_trax

wu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet society

i didnt follow it exactly, but first the parliament blocked the whole idea, because of a lot of lobby-work by all those open-source-people and smaller software-companies, supported by some countries.
then later the countgries turned by 180° and started supporting the idea.
i dont know if they pushed it through yet, but if not they are close.
as for the car-parts, apparently we are going to block the idea, together with france, italy and a few others. so, problem solved. i still want to know which stupid little **** had that idea and what he thought. "only one industry left thats half way competitive, so why not ruin that aswell, same rights for all" ?
Unread 15 Sep 2004, 20:09   #5
queball
Ball

queball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:
Originally Posted by wu_trax
as for the car-parts, apparently we are going to block the idea, together with france, italy and a few others. so, problem solved. i still want to know which stupid little **** had that idea and what he thought. "only one industry left thats half way competitive, so why not ruin that aswell, same rights for all" ?
As long as big corporations can lobby for laws that suit them, everyone will be fine.
queball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Sep 2004, 20:21   #6
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Now that you know that every single industry is going to penetrate your sphincter the second you crack out the Barclaycard at least you can prepare yourself pre-purchase. Brace yourself if you will. Bite a leather belt or a twig or something. You know, to take the sting out? I'm assuming that Anusol would at least give you some complementary product for raping you in the ass so visit them at the end of the ordeal for cool, soothing relief.
Unread 16 Sep 2004, 09:25   #7
Smudge
For Crowly <3

Smudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond repute

the EU sucks
[14:53:26] * Keiz`afk has joined #support
[14:53:36] <Keiz`afk> THE SMUDGE CHEERLEADING TEAM HAS ARRIVED
Smudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Sep 2004, 18:54   #8
Weeks
Banned

Weeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriend

I don't understand the thinking behind this in the EU.
Who's idea was it? I might start looking into it. (I'm doing a Euro Gov and Pols degree now. Woohoo)

It just sounds too stupid. Do they even recognize the non-corperate software developement sector?

Also won't this hurt Microsoft and Apple as well as they'll have to cough up some money as well? Obviously they've got more money than the smaller developers, but surely they'll not be too pleased about it. Unless they're just going for the tactic of paying the fees whilst watching the smaller competition fade away.

And if MS/Apple do go for the option of paying up and watching the smaller developers die won't this cause more of a monopoly for MS. And thus causing the EU to file more lawsuits against MS for having a monopoly, except this time it'll be an EU forced monopoly?

This is just confusing.
Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Sep 2004, 18:59   #9
Ste
Bored

Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Question: How many people work in the European Parliament?

Answer: About 10%

hahahahahahahhaha

EDIT: but seriously, the CAP crap was enough to make me a bit less pro-EU.

yeh so Plastic Brilliance is now known as FOXYSTOAT - Come on by and check it out!
Ste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Sep 2004, 19:19   #10
wu_trax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weeks
I don't understand the thinking behind this in the EU.
Who's idea was it? I might start looking into it. (I'm doing a Euro Gov and Pols degree now. Woohoo)
the eu itself? france, germany benelux and italy i think. it is a good idea in general, they just ****ed up the translation into action.
or the software patents? that was some british chick i think. (yes, you ****ed up for a change)
Quote:
It just sounds too stupid. Do they even recognize the non-corperate software developement sector?

Also won't this hurt Microsoft and Apple as well as they'll have to cough up some money as well? Obviously they've got more money than the smaller developers, but surely they'll not be too pleased about it. Unless they're just going for the tactic of paying the fees whilst watching the smaller competition fade away.

And if MS/Apple do go for the option of paying up and watching the smaller developers die won't this cause more of a monopoly for MS. And thus causing the EU to file more lawsuits against MS for having a monopoly, except this time it'll be an EU forced monopoly?

This is just confusing.
dont tell me, tell them.
Unread 18 Sep 2004, 19:20   #11
wu_trax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ste
EDIT: but seriously, the CAP crap was enough to make me a bit less pro-EU.
yes, thats the most serious problem, but they are changing that now (or at least so ive heared)
Unread 18 Sep 2004, 19:22   #12
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

The day the French agree to take less money from the CAP is the day that I black my face up and sing with the Minstrels.
Unread 18 Sep 2004, 19:28   #13
wu_trax

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablissimo
The day the French agree to take less money from the CAP is the day that I black my face up and sing with the Minstrels.
well, they wont have that much influence anymore on the long run. they dont even pay much.
Unread 18 Sep 2004, 19:48   #14
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

They accept so much as to make them baulk at the idea of losing out. And if they're beaten democratically, they'll do something daft like strike, or block their ports. Again. The cockheads.