User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 27 Nov 2004, 15:57   #1
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Opera

I've always used Firefox (well, I say "always" - what I mean is, since I first downloaded it) and wasn't keen on Opera.

I tried installing XP last night though, and Firefox refused to work with it. So after numerous attempts at reinstalling (and having problems with other programs), I reverted back to my old OS. The thing is, Firefox still wouldn't work. It loaded fine, but then I couldn't select any of the commands at the top (File/Edit/View etc), and it wouldn't let me click anywhere.

So I've downloaded Opera - I'm getting used to it (I installed a firefox skin, to make it less ugly) - but - without trying to sound really nerdy and stuck in my ways - I want to change the order of things at the top. And I can't work out how to do it.

At the moment it goes commands (so, File/Edit/View/Navigation), then below that are my quick links (Personal Toolbar) that I can click on to go straight to a page. Below that are my tabs. And below that are my reload/home/next/back buttons, and the address bar.

I want to change the order of these, so that the tabs are at the bottom, with the quick links above them, and the address bar at the top. I've tried "Customise Toolbars", but it doesn't seem to let me move entire sections. Now even IE lets me do that! What am I doing wrong?

Help! (Leshy!)
Unread 27 Nov 2004, 17:55   #2
Flayer
Wankoverable

Flayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Opera

Customize toolbars, tab edit, dropdown placement
Unread 27 Nov 2004, 18:00   #3
weap
Romantic

weap is an unknown quantity at this point

Opera is quite customisable, more so then Firefox.

Ironically, I went from Opera to Firefox. I think I still prefer Opera, just Firefox is more compatible and has better DHTML support. Opera's UI pisses on every other browsers though.
I may not lead
Just walk beside me
and be my friend.
weap is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Nov 2004, 18:07   #4
Tomkat

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flayer
Customize toolbars, tab edit, dropdown placement
Where's Tab Edit and Dropdown Placement? I don't have those options here ;(
Unread 27 Nov 2004, 18:32   #5
Flayer
Wankoverable

Flayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomkat
Where's Tab Edit and Dropdown Placement? I don't have those options here ;(
I mean tab properties (version 7.54)
Unread 27 Nov 2004, 19:17   #6
Tomkat

Yep, am using 7.54.

That only allows me to stick the buttons on the left, bottom, top, right or off. I want to change the order they're displayed in my browser (from the top down)
Unread 27 Nov 2004, 19:20   #7
Tomkat

ALSO! I have just noticed this.

Why is it that with firefox and IE, when I hold the cursor over a link in this forum, it gives me the first line or so of text (so you get the jist of the thread). But with Opera, it just gives me the URL?

How do I fix this?

Opera sure does suck compared to Firefox (so far, in my opinion)
Unread 27 Nov 2004, 19:34   #8
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

It's a bug in the forum software, but a work around is just hover the mouse over the bottom half of the box instead.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Nov 2004, 19:41   #9
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Right-click on the toolbars and select "Customize...".

The order in which the toolbars appear is pretty much set in stone, but Opera lets you fully configure each bar so that they are pretty much all interchangeable. To get the setup you want, you'd want to switch off the Address Bar, switch on the Main Bar and add navigational controls, address field and anything else you want to the main bar.

And the thing on this forum is an error in vBulletin, or at least something which should have been coded better. For extra security, Opera displays the URL a link will take you as tooltip when you hover over a link, which is fairly handy for links which aren't very descriptive, or which try to take you to some malicious page.

vBulletin code places the thread text as a tooltip on the actual box that the link is located in, rather than on the link itself - which is imho a lot more logical to begin with. This works fine in Firefox and MSIE, but Opera of course does the above trick with the tooltips on links. If you hover the mouse just above a thread title, or just below, you'll notice that you do get the effect as in Firefox and MSIE.

And Firefox isn't better compatible with anything, it's just saved by the fact a lot of old code is tailored towards catering for MSIE and Netscape - Firefox being seen as a member of the latter family.
Unread 27 Nov 2004, 21:30   #10
Tomkat

Leshy, you're a winner

I see how it works now - the order is set the same as in the view->toolbars bit. Got it all set up nice and sexily.

I fear I may be another Opera convert... sorry Idi! (sup leshy)
Unread 28 Nov 2004, 00:16   #11
1-X
overtired

1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

btw the new start bar in opera 7.60p3 is rather wonderful (once you've got it nicely customised)
1-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Nov 2004, 00:22   #12
Stew
Made of Twigs

Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1-X
btw the new start bar in opera 7.60p3 is rather wonderful (once you've got it nicely customised)
Care to expand?
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Nov 2004, 00:35   #13
1-X
overtired

1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew
care to expand?
thats what the address bar does! When you have open a new page, or click on the address bar, a panel underneath it opens up temporarily (with favourites, search boxes, whatever you want really)

It's just a really good idea - extra buttons one click away, appearing only when you need them
1-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Nov 2004, 01:26   #14
Demon Dave
Insanity Prawn Boy!

Demon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriend

i went from opera to firefox. the main reason was opera wouldn't let me use the scrolling thingy on my touchpad
We shall remember them.
Demon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Nov 2004, 01:33   #15
Androme
☆ ♥ 

Androme can only hope to improve

Everything about Opera is sexy but it's just over-loaded (Too much crap) - Firefox is simpler and Opera sucks in ad-blocking comparison - something that features on a lot of people's wants in a browser amongst other important things.
R3: LegioN (came #32) || R4: BlueTuba
R5: WolfPack Order || R6: Wolfpack
R7: Fury
----------retired-------
R52-R55: Apprime
R56-R57: FaceLess
R58-60: Apprime/Ultores
Androme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Nov 2004, 03:00   #16
pig
1up on you

pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I use IE and I like it, although did use opera some time back, may go back to it, but well im jus used to IE
Unread 28 Nov 2004, 07:27   #17
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Androme2
Everything about Opera is sexy but it's just over-loaded (Too much crap)
Such as? Note that pretty much everything you don't want to see can easily be hidden and/or removed.
Quote:
Opera sucks in ad-blocking comparison
Ads are what keeps a lot of stuff free.

And yes, 1-X, the start bar is quite sexy. I might already be in love with the "Top 10" feature
Unread 28 Nov 2004, 13:38   #18
Tomkat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leshy
Such as? Note that pretty much everything you don't want to see can easily be hidden and/or removed.
Ads are what keeps a lot of stuff free.
Yeah, I have to agree here. When it loaded up I went "erk!" as the actual webpage itself was relatively small, surrounded by buttons and gizmos I would probably never use. About 30 mins of fiddling later, and I had it almost perfect. Leshy helped me finalise my geekfest.

Is there any way of adjusting the darkness of the scrollbar on the right Leshy? It just seems really light... I can't find the little grabber to be able to select it

I have turned the brightness up on my comp, so I'm to blame really. I'm just curious. Have found out I can change the border colour of it, which helps a little. But not much.
Unread 28 Nov 2004, 15:27   #19
Starbucks
It was a Stupid Dream

Starbucks is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
It's a bug in opera, but a work around is just hover the mouse over the bottom half of the box instead.
lol fixed
Starbucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Nov 2004, 16:57   #20
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomkat
Is there any way of adjusting the darkness of the scrollbar on the right Leshy?
As far as I know the scrollbar colour is determined by the skin you're using. http://my.opera.com/community/customize/skins/index.pl etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbucks
lol fixed
lol not lol