User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions

Unread 14 Jan 2015, 08:23   #1
Machado
Seraphim

Machado is a jewel in the roughMachado is a jewel in the roughMachado is a jewel in the roughMachado is a jewel in the rough
Unhappy Scanning

Hi,

I think most people agree that scanning isn't the most glamourous part of PA, and a lot of people tell me they couldn't do it because it's too boring. I don't disagree, but somehow I kind of like it - yet, it's a very cumbersome job if you want to request scans out of ingame and alliance tools.

I'm not even talking (yet) about the hell that is mobile scanning.

I'm very happy we have an IRC bot which posts the scan links that I just click and paste back, because everytime I go scanner (which is almost exclusively last few rounds) I realize just how much work it is to do scans the normal way.

Whenever someone requests a few galaxies or even planets grouped, I cringe a little.

1. Galaxy scan should have an option to select to do multiple scan types at once. For example, I select galaxy 4:10, I need to check all, then go down the checkbox to select P. Then back, down the checkbox for D. Then back, down the checkbox for A. Then I need to go to the scans page and select all of these manually so I can group them into one scan. It's a downright pain in the ass - but maybe I'm doing it wrong.

2. Grouping scans - again, pain in the ass. I can't group a proper raid in 1 group unless using third party software because there's not enough of them on the list. 3 galaxies PDA and you'll run out of stored scans on the waves page. So you need to do incomplete groups, and watch carefully you don't do too many at once.

I don't know what the best answer for #2 is, either increase the range or add an ingame parser that takes groups so at least the incomplete 3rd galaxy group can be added without having to worry about running out of space on the waves list. Again, might be a solution for it already (ingame) but I don't know of it.

And I guess this would create a workaround for both issues:

3. Multiscan. Kind of like #1, except this time give me the option to do PDA for any set of coordinates. Again, it's a pain in the ass to go to each separate scan type when doing 1 or 2 scans. Why can't I select, say 4:10:4 and then tick PDA, or JN, or whatever really? And then one the same page, allow me to input more coords (and just the x:y for galaxy) (don't even mind a limit here, altho I've seen it possible in unlimited space forms)

4. Request scans ingame - call me lazy, but if there's a scan for that tick already of the type requested, please have it inform the members and mark it besides the galaxy overview. (Like it happens on the def page already)

I've seen alliances with tools that could do all 3 of these things. If PAteam is unwilling or uncapable of doing these things ingame, can we at least get access to an IRC bot or set of commands to be distributed among the community? Not all tools need to be ingame, IRC and Telegram have definitely shown that - I don't mind 1 or 10 side apps - welcome them. So there can be very little coding involved to be honest for a quick fix/workaround - it's all out there. I just shiver to think of what some of my non-big-alliance scanners are going through.
Unread 14 Jan 2015, 09:29   #2
Blue_Esper

Blue_Esper is a glorious beacon of lightBlue_Esper is a glorious beacon of lightBlue_Esper is a glorious beacon of lightBlue_Esper is a glorious beacon of lightBlue_Esper is a glorious beacon of lightBlue_Esper is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Scanning

point 4: sometimes needs refreshed scans of the same scan
Unread 14 Jan 2015, 11:29   #3
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

See here
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Jan 2015, 20:12   #4
Machado
Seraphim

Machado is a jewel in the roughMachado is a jewel in the roughMachado is a jewel in the roughMachado is a jewel in the rough

Yes, that would be a fine solution mz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_Esper View Post
point 4: sometimes needs refreshed scans of the same scan
Yes, that's why most allies use .rescan or a similar command, or just offer the option of cancelling :P
Unread 18 Jan 2015, 22:22   #5
Bram

Bram is a splendid one to beholdBram is a splendid one to beholdBram is a splendid one to beholdBram is a splendid one to beholdBram is a splendid one to beholdBram is a splendid one to beholdBram is a splendid one to beholdBram is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machado View Post
2. Grouping scans - again, pain in the ass. I can't group a proper raid in 1 group unless using third party software because there's not enough of them on the list. 3 galaxies PDA and you'll run out of stored scans on the waves page. So you need to do incomplete groups, and watch carefully you don't do too many at once.

I don't know what the best answer for #2 is, either increase the range or add an ingame parser that takes groups so at least the incomplete 3rd galaxy group can be added without having to worry about running out of space on the waves list. Again, might be a solution for it already (ingame) but I don't know of it.

If I understood it correctly: by default the waves page will show 50 scans.
If you want it to show more then use the search function:
  • do not enther the type of scan (i.e. set to 'Any');
  • do not enter X, Y, Z coords;
  • do enter a higher limit (i.e. 100, 500, 1000, ...)
Bram is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Jan 2015, 14:29   #6
Appocomaster
PA Team

Appocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

As I just said in the thread Mz linked, I hope that we'll have this as an advanced interface next round or so.