User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions

Unread 14 Jul 2017, 23:15   #1
Lukey

Lukey is on a distinguished road
No more IRC

IRC is ancient and not going to get any better.

There are too many communities spread across to many platforms, it makes it hard to mingle and eventually may cause the death of the community.

We need to agree on a consistent communications platform driven by the PA team and obtain buy-in on that from all the alliance HC's.

I'm not overly worried whether it's Slack or any of the other alternatives, but we do need a single platform that isn't stuck in the 90's.
Lukey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Jul 2017, 03:57   #2
Kaiba
Valle is my hero

Kaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud of
Re: No more IRC

Pigeon?
Kaiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Jul 2017, 07:34   #3
Munkee
Dictator

Munkee is a splendid one to beholdMunkee is a splendid one to beholdMunkee is a splendid one to beholdMunkee is a splendid one to beholdMunkee is a splendid one to beholdMunkee is a splendid one to beholdMunkee is a splendid one to behold

To be honest I don't see the messaging element of PA a problem too much. Yes there's discord, irc, slack, telegram, whatsapp but all of that is down to preference of a particular person or alliance. Trying to put these communities into a single box wont happen (people left irc for a reason?). However I think things like the forum need a good upgrade. They just feel ancient and really you get 0 feedback coming through from this place to make your audience sticky to the site and wanting to keep coming back to check up on whats happening.

Even switching forum software would help in my opinion. Make it look more modern, engaging and welcoming. https://www.discourse.org/ seems to be quite popular with most companies at the moment.
Munkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Jul 2017, 08:46   #4
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I agree there's a problem with fragmentation. I've even seen a few people exile because a galaxy used the 'wrong' medium of communication. I expect that to be more common in places more decicated to actually playing the game than most of the ones I'm in. A royal decree from PA Team about which platform is the Correct one seems pointless to me. You'll never get enough people to join in on it, we're all too committed to our favourite one.

If you want to unify the community, I think a better approach would be to ensure communication on one platform is available on others as well. Ascendancy uses a bot to relay information back and forth between Slack and IRC, which works very well. If that existed for other platforms as well, it wouldn't matter which one you personally used.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.

Last edited by Mzyxptlk; 15 Jul 2017 at 08:54.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Jul 2017, 08:59   #5
Forest
Don't make me declare war

Forest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzyxptlk View Post

If you want to unify the community, I think a better approach would be to ensure communication on one platform is available on others as well. Ascendancy uses a bot to relay information back and forth between Slack and IRC, which works very well. If that existed for other platforms as well, it wouldn't matter which one you personally used.
This is available on both TG and WA too
Forest is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Jul 2017, 08:59   #6
Kaiba
Valle is my hero

Kaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud of

Quote:
I agree there's a problem with fragmentation. I've even seen a few people exile because a galaxy used the 'wrong' medium of communication. I expect that to be more common in places more decicated to actually playing the game than most of the ones I'm in. A royal decree from PA Team about which platform is the Correct one seems pointless to me. You'll never get enough people to join in on it, we're all too committed to our favourite one.

Future/Bows had a bot that relayed between telegram and irc.

I think irc is still a good middle ground, it's the lack of good irc app that let's it down. If it was an 'always on' chat app that would bring people back
Unread 15 Jul 2017, 13:04   #7
berten
respect, unity, order

berten is a jewel in the roughberten is a jewel in the roughberten is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiba View Post
Future/Bows had a bot that relayed between telegram and irc.

I think irc is still a good middle ground, it's the lack of good irc app that let's it down. If it was an 'always on' chat app that would bring people back
Irccloud ftw
Unread 15 Jul 2017, 14:22   #8
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest View Post
This is available on both TG and WA too
Sorry, it wasn't my intention to imply that it didn't.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Unread 16 Jul 2017, 15:31   #9
ArcChas
General (Adjective Army)

ArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud of

I've tried Slack, WhatsApp and Telegram and I always come back to IRC (using mIRC). Well, to be fair, I've never actually left IRC - just used the others as well (because of alliance or galaxy preferences).
Knights of the Green Shield R99 | Look Out of The Window R100 | Most of All R102
Hard of Hearing (2:7:1) R103 | The Lateness of Your Application (1:6:6) R104 | Kinnison of Tellus (5:1:2) R105
ArcChas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Jul 2017, 13:55   #10
Annie

Annie is just really niceAnnie is just really niceAnnie is just really niceAnnie is just really nice

I think getting rid of IRC would cause the death quicker then keeping IRC. You have a choice, IRC brings the community together and is easy to use, what I do see with WA, Telegram and so on is people no longer talk to others not in there ally.
Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Jul 2017, 14:17   #11
Lukey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie View Post
I think getting rid of IRC would cause the death quicker then keeping IRC. You have a choice, IRC brings the community together and is easy to use, what I do see with WA, Telegram and so on is people no longer talk to others not in there ally.
I agree that there's a challenge where people don't talk to others outside their ally now, that's the problem with the current fragmentation. So many have already left for these other comms platforms, I never speak to people outside my gal/ally as IRC is just too much of a pain to faff around with.

That's why we should at least aim to get everyone on the same platform, or at least all the alliances.

I know there are alot of older folk who are resistant to change as well, which makes it challenging.

ND has a relay between IRC and Slack, which is fine for most of the time but it is far from a direct or perfect replacement for one strong solution.
Unread 17 Jul 2017, 14:34   #12
Mzyxptlk
mz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie View Post
(This is not a rebuttal of, but a supplement to your post.)

And this is not the first time it's happened. Back in the dark ages, alliances routinely felt the need to maintain their own IRC networks, isolating their communities from the shared space of NetGamers, but eventually alliances recognized the ease of just using a network that was just... there*. Until Slack/WhatsApp/Telegram/pigeons came around, anyway.

______
* That ended a bit before my time here, My impression is that 1up's use of #public and #private (awesome in both its arrogance and its simplicity) was the turning point. Fully expecting multi-paragraph posts about how I'm wrong and therefore a terrible person.
Unread 18 Jul 2017, 11:47   #13
reconverse
[...]

reconverse is a jewel in the roughreconverse is a jewel in the roughreconverse is a jewel in the rough

I agree with Lukey.
I returned to PA two rounds ago. mIRC brings back memories but is old and still a bit of a hassle. ND uses Slack, personally I'm very happy with that since I can use it on my phone and computer. Extra bonus is I allready use it for work.

I'm not saying it has to be Slack but IRC had it's best time. There are many games/ communities we can learn from. Personally I have good experience with Discord, Jabber (Pidgin) and Slack.
Unread 18 Jul 2017, 12:04   #14
Ave

Ave is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of light

Discord has worked best for my own experience.
Unread 18 Jul 2017, 16:25   #15
BloodyButcher
Propaganda Chief

BloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud of

Most tags, if not all tags, use IRC and/or TG.
The only issues i have trying to reach people is if their alliance uses slack.
So for me its no reason what-so-ever to even consider moving away from IRC, as all tags out their got a relay bot avaible to connect their desired communication tool to irc.
All of our players can get their own IRC-Telegram relay bot from us for their gal if they wish to aswell.

RB Ely MISTU Angel Fusi0n 1up ToF VisioN CT FAnG ROCK
BloodyButcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Jul 2017, 18:47   #16
Damakles

Damakles is an unknown quantity at this point

Anything bar Slack...

Ex-Ministry, Ascendancy, CT
Damakles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Jul 2017, 07:26   #17
reconverse
[...]

reconverse is a jewel in the roughreconverse is a jewel in the roughreconverse is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodyButcher View Post
Most tags, if not all tags, use IRC and/or TG.

Of course they do since IRC is still that 'original' platform and it's kept alive. But that doesn't mean it's not outdated and such. If PA wants to attract more players the game and/or the community has to move forward.
Unread 19 Jul 2017, 11:20   #18
BloodyButcher
Propaganda Chief

BloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by reconverse View Post
Of course they do since IRC is still that 'original' platform and it's kept alive. But that doesn't mean it's not outdated and such. If PA wants to attract more players the game and/or the community has to move forward.
Well the ingame mail function could be fixed/optmized for mobile phones i suppose.
It was a big problem for me trying to reach my gal mates last round as they were using WA, and i didnt have WA. Trying to mass mail my gal for ships was impossibole on a mobile phone.

And the community has "moved forward", nobody is using only IRC for communication now days, but we didnt "only use IRC" 15 years back either.
Msn messenger, ICQ, Teamspeak, etc etc was pretty popular back then.

Unread 20 Jul 2017, 14:43   #19
CBA
Mind-boggling

CBA is infamous around these partsCBA is infamous around these partsCBA is infamous around these partsCBA is infamous around these partsCBA is infamous around these partsCBA is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Well the ingame mail function could be fixed/optmized for mobile phones i suppose.
It was a big problem for me trying to reach my gal mates last round as they were using WA, and i didnt have WA. Trying to mass mail my gal for ships was impossibole on a mobile phone.

And the community has "moved forward", nobody is using only IRC for communication now days, but we didnt "only use IRC" 15 years back either.
Msn messenger, ICQ, Teamspeak, etc etc was pretty popular back then.

No it wasn't ....

MSN was never a thing for PA.

Teamspeak/ventrilo primarily used for other games - CS/HoN/Dota/League etc

It was always IRC and Now it's something else. Something that is easily compatible with phones is required. WA is perfect because you can call off it.

R21-Randy Dandys Winners R21
1:9:5 -SoClose- -YetSoFar-

You have pending friend requests from Newt.
CBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Jul 2017, 19:31   #20
BloodyButcher
Propaganda Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBA View Post
No it wasn't ....

MSN was never a thing for PA.

Teamspeak/ventrilo primarily used for other games - CS/HoN/Dota/League etc

It was always IRC and Now it's something else. Something that is easily compatible with phones is required. WA is perfect because you can call off it.
MSN and ICQ surely was used by a lot of people in the past, im sure i still got some of the guys i played with prior to PaX in my messenger list. A big thing? No, guess not. Atleast it made it easy to set up VNCs iirc.

You calling people from WA is the reason why half the game has deleted it by now
WA didnt allow bots in the past, thats why i personaly moved to telegram, as it allows you to do what you want with it.

Unread 22 Jul 2017, 07:00   #21
Munkee
Dictator

Munkee is a splendid one to beholdMunkee is a splendid one to beholdMunkee is a splendid one to beholdMunkee is a splendid one to beholdMunkee is a splendid one to beholdMunkee is a splendid one to beholdMunkee is a splendid one to behold

Big fan of telegram and slack to be honest however for gaming discord is the way for a gaming "community": https://discord.gg/4uc6MFh

I've created a pa server there. All are welcome if we want to try and create something more neutral and give this a go. Note: Discord is a lot like IRC from my perspective however the Apps make it way more approachable and the missing features we see the messaging apps (TG, WA, Slack) in comparison to IRC are all available.

- @mentions
- Push notifications
- Uploads
- Voice support
- etc

Also anyone wanting to admin etc let me know I have no fudging clue.
Unread 26 Jul 2017, 12:22   #22
Pit
Hole in the ground

Pit is a glorious beacon of lightPit is a glorious beacon of lightPit is a glorious beacon of lightPit is a glorious beacon of lightPit is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munkee View Post
Note: Discord is a lot like IRC from my perspective
It's notihng like it from mine, but ok.

Quote:
however the Apps make it way more approachable
I'm going to have to have another look at IRC apps, not because I want one but because I think there must be something out there.

Quote:
- @mentions
I'm not sure how this is missing from IRC. All clients I've used support highlights.
Quote:
- Push notifications
These are possible, but I'll accept your point here.
Quote:
- Uploads
Sure. There are plenty of options here, but I accept there's friction.
Quote:
- Voice support
Does anyone really want this for PA?
Quote:
- etc
Pit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Jul 2017, 19:06   #23
Munkee
Dictator

Major burn from Pit ill get back in my box!! Keep the community closed!
Unread 26 Jul 2017, 21:32   #24
Mzyxptlk
mz.

I'm an IRC user like you, Pit. I'm a programmer like you. Consider the possibility that the particular abnormalities that make us like and enjoy IRC may not be shared by everyone. The key word in Munkee's post is 'approachable'.

I still remember that when I first tried to connect to an IRC server, it didn't work for a while, and then suddenly it did. Maybe that's on me, but I had been familiar with computers for well over a decade by that point and I never figured out what I did wrong, or even what I changed to do it right.

Coincidentally, the other day I spent some time guiding someone through their very first IRC setup, and few things expose the... I don't want to say 'problems', but imperfections, surely, of our medium than getting someone brand new to it settled in. IRC is an invention from long enough ago that modern humans no longer know what key words to look for, even if they are tech-savvy enough to click through the options to look for likely candidates. Getting to where you want to go is non-obvious (servers, networks, channels). Doing anything other than just typing lines of text is non-obvious (textual commands!?). When the technology fails in some way, making sure you get back to where you were is non-obvious (perform). And what the hell is an 'identd' anyway'?

Technically speaking, you're not wrong when you say the things Munkee mentions are mostly possible with IRC. Just, you know, way out of reach of your average user: set up a bouncer on your server, write a detailed perform for the various networks you're connected to, write a quick script for file uploads right there from the client, and no one ever calls anyone. Easy peasy.

This post is not a rant against IRC and it certainly isn't a love letter to shiny, but limited, closed and proprietary facsimiles of the last couple of years. But IRC is not perfect, and anyone who's done any amount of tech support for less-savvy friends should be able to identify its major flaws.

Last edited by Mzyxptlk; 26 Jul 2017 at 23:14. Reason: Typo
Unread 26 Jul 2017, 22:56   #25
BloodyButcher
Propaganda Chief

I realy fail to see why the Telegram + IRC combination arnt covering everyones need atm.

Unread 27 Jul 2017, 02:40   #26
Lukey

I was using IRC last week and a colleague came up behind me and said 'OH ARE YOU PROGRAMMING? WOW THAT LOOKS IMPRESSIVE'

It evidently isn't user friendly and is only used by PA as a ghost of a long and historic legacy.

It's easy looking from our own perspectives of years of using this comms platform to say it's fine and most of the functionality is available through IRC, but it isn't convenient and it isn't welcoming.

A transition to a different platform would be easy enough, it would just require buy-in from all the alliances and the PA team. Change is very possible and healthy, it just requires buy-in from the top and some clear benefits to the user.

If we are serious about keeping this community going into the future, it should be a consideration.
Unread 27 Jul 2017, 02:53   #27
BloodyButcher
Propaganda Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukey View Post
I was using IRC last week and a colleague came up behind me and said 'OH ARE YOU PROGRAMMING? WOW THAT LOOKS IMPRESSIVE'

It evidently isn't user friendly and is only used by PA as a ghost of a long and historic legacy.

It's easy looking from our own perspectives of years of using this comms platform to say it's fine and most of the functionality is available through IRC, but it isn't convenient and it isn't welcoming.

A transition to a different platform would be easy enough, it would just require buy-in from all the alliances and the PA team. Change is very possible and healthy, it just requires buy-in from the top and some clear benefits to the user.

If we are serious about keeping this community going into the future, it should be a consideration.
I dont realy get what you want?
You DONT have to use IRC now days, very few(if any) alliance uses it as their only communication channel.

Ultores and Faceless use whatsapp(wich sadly dont allow bots/scripting).
Black-Flag, NewDawn, Apprime use slack.
CT, BowS, p3ng, KittyCatz(?) use telegram.

I think p3nguins provides IRC/telegram relay for their members galaxies, atleast BowS did.
A lot of gals use WA for gal communication now days aswell.

Unread 27 Jul 2017, 11:37   #28
Pit
Hole in the ground

Pit is a glorious beacon of lightPit is a glorious beacon of lightPit is a glorious beacon of lightPit is a glorious beacon of lightPit is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Consider the possibility that the particular abnormalities that make us like and enjoy IRC may not be shared by everyone.
I accept that. but note that Munkee himself was have problems doing anything other than typing text and creating channels on Discord. There's definitely a learning curve to IRC, I just wonder whether we can break that without transitioning to a worse medium.

If I see a better candidate, I have no problems jumping ship.
Unread 27 Jul 2017, 11:40   #29
Pit
Hole in the ground

Quote:
It wouldn't be easy. Some players would refuse, and I doubt that many of the non-playing community would change. Then there's the simple challenge of even choosing a replacement.

What are your criteria? What are everyone else's?

Edit: Also transitioning tools, recreating channels (or a replacement), re-establishing control/permissions...
Unread 28 Jul 2017, 14:14   #30
Bazza[RB]

Bazza[RB] has a spectacular aura aboutBazza[RB] has a spectacular aura aboutBazza[RB] has a spectacular aura about

I've played pa & used irc without a break since r2. For me IRC is the reason I still play pa and I doubt I would ever play pa without it. My trusty Mirc v5.61 (1999 version) still works fine for me and my pa nick has never changed since r2. For me and a few others I know, no irc means the death of pa

Played every round since r2. RB/Fury/Eclipse/Kralizec/MISTU/Angels/Urwins/Jenova/VisioN/audentes/xVx/Osiris/apprime/FaNG/Ultores/p3n/Mercenaries/ZT/ND
Bazza[RB] is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Jul 2017, 14:21   #31
Bazza[RB]

Bazza[RB] has a spectacular aura aboutBazza[RB] has a spectacular aura aboutBazza[RB] has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
IRC is ancient and not going to get any better.

There are too many communities spread across to many platforms, it makes it hard to mingle and eventually may cause the death of the community.

We need to agree on a consistent communications platform driven by the PA team and obtain buy-in on that from all the alliance HC's.

I'm not overly worried whether it's Slack or any of the other alternatives, but we do need a single platform that isn't stuck in the 90's.
I'm ancient too which is why I love pa & irc - by all means explore other options but please keep irc for us oldies

Played every round since r2. RB/Fury/Eclipse/Kralizec/MISTU/Angels/Urwins/Jenova/VisioN/audentes/xVx/Osiris/apprime/FaNG/Ultores/p3n/Mercenaries/ZT/ND
Bazza[RB] is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Jul 2017, 09:37   #32
CBA
Mind-boggling

CBA is infamous around these partsCBA is infamous around these partsCBA is infamous around these partsCBA is infamous around these partsCBA is infamous around these partsCBA is infamous around these parts

IRC can stay - whatever - it's like Doom (the original) or cs.1.6 or even PA in general as it is today!!! - People still have a need for it.

But what we need is a PA in an APP and a Messaging system like TG/WA/Slack within that application.

Alternatively, We need a #support room and a #planetarion and a few friendly channels - maybe big allies have Open channels on another platform - Something phone friendly, like Discord/tg/Slack for new players (if we ever hope to gain new players)

For an example KittenZ have a load of players that have never used IRC, and will never use it....... They use Discord which relays between IRC/Discord/TG etc. But they also use discord for their other games and their mobile phone as well as main PC (if they even have one)

Munkee is on the right lines here but it needs to be adopted by PA Admin/Team

R21-Randy Dandys Winners R21
1:9:5 -SoClose- -YetSoFar-

You have pending friend requests from Newt.
CBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Jul 2017, 04:34   #33
lurchleaf
UltimateNewbie

lurchleaf is a splendid one to beholdlurchleaf is a splendid one to beholdlurchleaf is a splendid one to beholdlurchleaf is a splendid one to beholdlurchleaf is a splendid one to beholdlurchleaf is a splendid one to behold

upvote on discord. Would allow several rooms, each with restrictable access (alliance rooms).
Available on browser, desktop and handheld devices.
Supports rooms, PM's, audio notes, voice conversations/rooms..
Unread 30 Jul 2017, 10:51   #34
BloodyButcher
Propaganda Chief

Big downvote on discord.
By far the worst program ive used in ages by quite some margin. I use it daily.

Unread 30 Jul 2017, 12:32   #35
Munkee
Dictator

Up-vote on discord. Using it daily now for not just PA but other games and communities too.
Unread 30 Jul 2017, 15:29   #36
vuLgAr
Bi-Winning

vuLgAr is a name known to allvuLgAr is a name known to allvuLgAr is a name known to allvuLgAr is a name known to allvuLgAr is a name known to allvuLgAr is a name known to all

Quote:
Big downvote on discord.
By far the worst program ive used in ages by quite some margin. I use it daily.
what makes it so bad in your opinion?

personally i use it daily too, after using slack, whatsapp and telegram it seems like discord is definitely tailored more towards what your average PA player needs from a communication platform and here are my reasons.

Discord

cons:

1) current userbase uses irc

pros:

1) nice and easy to integrate with external tools
2) the payed option doesn't inhibit usability
3) desktop app, browser app and phone app all seem pretty good
4) only a username required to invite
5) no missed messages

Slack:

cons:

1) requires peoples emails to invite (sorry but i'd rather not give this to everyone willy nilly)
2) in a high traffic channel you are restricted with history
3) slack app on desktop uses more resources than chrome... WP and congrats on that achievement i guess
4) voice chat with groups requires a paying account
5) payed accounts are bloody expensive
6) current userbase uses irc

pros:

1) nice and easy to integrate with external tools
2) no missed messages

Telegram/Whatsapp:

(not much difference in these really)

cons:

1) requires peoples phone numbers to invite (negated by usernames on telegram not sure about whatsapp)
2) desktop apps suck (tailored more towards phone zombies)
3) current userbase uses irc

pros:

1) most people already use this as a means to communicate
2) no missed messages

IRC:

cons:

1) requiring new players to use this is archaic and obscene in today's world (barrier of entry requires research)
2) without scripts/plugins it's pretty basic
3) mirc the grand daddy of irc apps requires a license (sorry but this is beyond obsolete)
4) without a bouncer you're gonna miss messages (aint nobody got time fo that)

pros:

1) mature protocol that doesn't look like it's going anywhere soon
2) current user base uses it

H-A ODDR Apprime xVx VisioN HEROES Ultores

Last edited by vuLgAr; 30 Jul 2017 at 18:05.
vuLgAr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Jul 2017, 17:41   #37
Pit
Hole in the ground

Quote:
Originally Posted by vuLgAr View Post
Discord

cons:
- Closed system. I know this doesn't bug many people, but everything's entirely in their hands. It also applies to Slack, WhatsApp and Telegram.

Quote:
pros:
4) only a username required to invite
5) no missed messages
Sort of. The #1234 is required (that *is* part of the username, but people may miss that). Personally I'd think links to the "servers"is easier, but I've had relatively limited interaction here.
Scrollback can be a pain, but that's a problem with most systems. irssi (with a script, admittedly) handles this well for me, but I'll also accept that I'm in the minority. Honestly, most people don't seem to care about most scrollback. But for some messages they do.
Quote:

Slack:

cons:

4) voice chat with groups requires a paying account
I keep seeing this. Do people *really* want voice chat for Planetarion?

Quote:

Telegram/Whatsapp:

(not much difference in these really)
Quite a lot of difference in a few ways, including userbase (especially geographic variation iirc) and philosophy.
Quote:
cons:

1) requires peoples phone numbers to invite (negated by usernames on telegram not sure about whatsapp)
No arguments here. Although giving alliances or even galaxies mobile numbers was not unusual, even before these came along.
Quote:
IRC:

cons:

1) requiring new players to use this is archaic and obscene in today's world (barrier of entry requires research)
2) without scripts/plugins
3) mirc the grand daddy of irc apps requires a license (sorry but this is beyond obsolete)
4) without a bouncer you're gonna miss messages (aint nobody got time fo that)
1) You'll need to do better than that.
2) I don't actually know what you're trying to say here.
3) Don't use mirc?
4) This is more like it. A Planetarion bouncer has been suggested, but has a lot of complications. I've been wondering whether a Netgamers bouncer would help (some other networks run them) but that's a pretty big step. And a pretty big ask. And I'm still not sure it would help...
I'll also add that lots of users have trouble with mobile clients (again, for various reasons).
Unread 30 Jul 2017, 18:01   #38
ArcChas
General (Adjective Army)

ArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud of

WhatsApp has two further disadvantages (to dinosaurs like me who only play PA on a PC) - it has no desktop app (so an Android emulator is needed) and it requires a valid mobile phone number to activate the app *.

I find TG the most "useful" (and PC-friendly) of these "new" com systems and I have used it, WA and Slack over the last few rounds. (I still prefer the IRC options. Slack allows an IRC server to be set up and TG allows bots to relay to netgamers channels (as does Slack)). WA is my least preferred option.

* I do now have a mobile phone but it lives in my car and is used in emergencies only (needing a mobile broadband signal counts as an emergency). Only my close family members are allowed to know my mobile number.
Knights of the Green Shield R99 | Look Out of The Window R100 | Most of All R102
Hard of Hearing (2:7:1) R103 | The Lateness of Your Application (1:6:6) R104 | Kinnison of Tellus (5:1:2) R105
ArcChas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Jul 2017, 18:10   #39
Pit
Hole in the ground

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcChas View Post
WhatsApp has two further disadvantages (to dinosaurs like me who only play PA on a PC) - it has no desktop app (so an Android emulator is needed) and it requires a valid mobile phone number to activate the app *.
You do need a mobile to set it up, but there's a web interface for use on your desktop if you like. I think it may be slaved though, so your phone would need to be on/connected. I haven't checked that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pit View Post
No arguments here. Although giving alliances or even galaxies mobile numbers was not unusual, even before these came along.
I should clarify: This doesn't make it any better from a "pa community" standpoint.
Unread 30 Jul 2017, 18:18   #40
vuLgAr
Bi-Winning

vuLgAr is a name known to allvuLgAr is a name known to allvuLgAr is a name known to allvuLgAr is a name known to allvuLgAr is a name known to allvuLgAr is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pit View Post
2) I don't actually know what you're trying to say here.
3) Don't use mirc?
4) This is more like it. A Planetarion bouncer has been suggested, but has a lot of complications. I've been wondering whether a Netgamers bouncer would help (some other networks run them) but that's a pretty big step. And a pretty big ask. And I'm still not sure it would help...
I'll also add that lots of users have trouble with mobile clients (again, for various reasons).
without scripts/plugins it's kinda basic (updated that one) although now i come to think of it im not sure if it really is a con

about the closed system, we literally lose nothing we didn't already give away to netgamers so im guessing this is not an issue atal and why i didn't include it initially.

i don't believe it's right for people to be giving away personal info on the internet such as phone numbers to an unknown entity such as your new GC in a game, this could potentially dissuades new players too as this is not the norm in anything i've ever seen.

and as for not using mirc, you leave yourself open to self research on how to configure and use your client of choice. Most people will use what others will use just because if they have an issue somebody else may also have had it and can help rectify it.

a planetarion bouncer seems like it coulda worked 5 years ago but the technology and ease of use for instant messaging apps has come far, people dont want to configure messaging apps, they just want to use them. (i guess if this was integrated into the ingame chat it would work though)

H-A ODDR Apprime xVx VisioN HEROES Ultores
vuLgAr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Jul 2017, 18:33   #41
Pit
Hole in the ground

Quote:
about the closed system, we literally lose nothing we didn't already give away to netgamers so im guessing this is not an issue atal and why i didn't include it initially.
If NG went down, moving would be painful, but people could use the same clients etc. If Discord decides to shut down (or charge, or whatever) then you're in the complicated and fragmented boat we're in now.

Quote:
i don't believe it's right for people to be giving away personal info on the internet such as phone numbers to an unknown entity such as your new GC in a game, this could potentially dissuades new players too as this is not the norm in anything i've ever seen.
Agreed. I'm not in favour of it, but it's been in PA a long while. Then again, IRC's been around longer...

Quote:
and as for not using mirc, you leave yourself open to self research on how to configure and use your client of choice. Most people will use what others will use just because if they have an issue somebody else may also have had it and can help rectify it.
Maybe. I'm interested in how many users are actually using mirc these days though... I suspect it's still a decent chunk, but maybe less than you think. Quite a lot of users still use the com unit.
A lot of those sorts of issues could be handled by a tutorial, though most clients have a basic one and some have Netgamers in the default list.

Quote:
a planetarion bouncer seems like it coulda worked 5 years ago but the technology and ease of use for instant messaging apps has come far, people dont want to configure messaging apps, they just want to use them. (i guess if this was integrated into the ingame chat it would work though)
Yup. Users are terrible :P If this was the only issue then I'd consider repackaging a client (maybe one of the mobile ones) to handle most of this.
The main issue I see with a PA bouncer is the data. Amongst other things, they don't want to be responsible for it.
The way I've seen a network-integrated bouncer work it's probably as easy or easier as setting up a perform. That wouldn't work out of the box for NG though.
Unread 30 Jul 2017, 21:40   #42
BloodyButcher
Propaganda Chief

Quote:
what makes it so bad in your opinion?

personally i use it daily too, after using slack, whatsapp and telegram it seems like discord is definitely tailored more towards what your average PA player needs from a communication platform.
The program for what i use it for, voice communication, is buggy at best.
Even suggesting it as a good alternative to the IRC and telegram is for me silly, as it dosnt offer anything new.

Now that most of the community is using TG, i find it very easy to get in contact with other alliances outside my own.
I dont play PA from a phone, so for me its ideal.

Unread 31 Jul 2017, 00:00   #43
Kaiba
Valle is my hero

Out of all the options Telegram wins by a mile.

It has the decent interface of a WhatsApp/Line Chat.

It does NOT require a phone number.

Everyone has a user name (most annoying feature of whatsapp is seeing loads of numbers and no nicks)

It can relay a bot back to iRC so we can keep in touch with Pit

If you are desperate to speak to Munkee or vulgAr you can do that. Though why the hell anyone wants to physically talk about PA is beyond me. I did this once about 4 years ago and realised I had been saying agar3s' name wrong in my head.

I have used Discord for games like FFXIV for raiding and it holds up OK but is no way perfect. It's text element is by far the weakest part of it so how it can be recommended on here as a viable alternative to iRC or TG in that way is madness

Last edited by Kaiba; 31 Jul 2017 at 00:02. Reason: I
Unread 31 Jul 2017, 07:13   #44
Munkee
Dictator

I think to keep the connection between irc and whatever messenger the admins would need to allow us to use a relay bot between the two. I expect right now the likes of MarkB would ban that as soon as it entered #planetarion.

I suggested discord in this thread for 3 main reasons:

- The functionality is on par with everyone else give or take.
- It is a neutral ground where there isn't any 1 alliance heavily using it so there isn't a huge bias towards it
- It is built on top of other gaming communities, we may be able to bring in other gamers easily.

p3ng has used telegram for years now. It has its quirks as does every other platform. I would put whatsapp last, it only wins on "real world" popularity but every feature it gains has been on telegram for some time now. Slack was nice when I've used it but also quite heavy as mentioned by vulgar.

Last edited by Munkee; 31 Jul 2017 at 07:19.
Unread 31 Jul 2017, 08:05   #45
BloodyButcher
Propaganda Chief

Why do we realy need #planetarion on multiple platform?
If you want to "mingle" the comunit works fine enough?
I thought the whole issue was that people wanted a common platform for their galaxy mates etc, that saves messages when ur not connected?

Unread 31 Jul 2017, 09:15   #46
Mzyxptlk
mz.

Quote:
3) slack app on desktop uses more resources than chrome... WP and congrats on that achievement i guess
I don't have a real comment, but this made me laugh out loud.
Unread 31 Jul 2017, 09:51   #47
Munkee
Dictator

Quote:
Why do we realy need #planetarion on multiple platform?
If you want to "mingle" the comunit works fine enough?
I thought the whole issue was that people wanted a common platform for their galaxy mates etc, that saves messages when ur not connected?
Maybe read the original post:

"There are too many communities spread across to many platforms, it makes it hard to mingle and eventually may cause the death of the community."
Unread 31 Jul 2017, 12:42   #48
BloodyButcher
Propaganda Chief

Quote:
Maybe read the original post:

"There are too many communities spread across to many platforms, it makes it hard to mingle and eventually may cause the death of the community."
Well surely the problem with the comunit aint the possibilties for mingling?
Quite honestly ive never seen Luckey talk in a irc channel, ever actualy.

The biggest problem is playing the game with allie/gal mates using the comunit surely?

Unread 31 Jul 2017, 20:34   #49
Munkee
Dictator

Who knows..

In the spirit of open communication https://t.me/p3nguins this is p3nguins public telegram group. Idle in it just like you would IRC
Unread 31 Jul 2017, 21:58   #50
Pit
Hole in the ground

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiba View Post
Out of all the options Telegram wins by a mile.
I wish I could like TG, but I can't. They claim to be secure, but don't encrypt chats by default, can't encrypt group chats at all and when they do encrypt, it's all home-grown crypto. It's terrible. Worse, it could have (should have) been good.