User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 1 Nov 2004, 22:15   #1
Hellcat

Hellcat is an unknown quantity at this point
Exciled or Hiding?

Anyone have the feeling that planets are getting themselves exciled, in order to fill their pockets with resources, without the fear of being attacked by the rest of the universe?

For example 201:7

Both have 400+ Roids and scores of around 230k - A combination that would result in instant "incoming fleets" in the rest of the Universe.

Are people getting exciled, initiating LOADS of roids and building up great masses of resources in the safe 200+ galaxies. Then when they have millions in resources dropping back into the Universe and building huge fleets to cover their size? Doesnt seem to be in the spirit of the game to use the exciled part of the Gal as a safe haven.

If I'm barking up the wrong tree then please correct me - but take a look at all the 200+ Galaxies. All the non-inactive planets have huge numbers of roids but only small value/score.
Hellcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Nov 2004, 23:45   #2
mist
Jolt's best friend

mist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to all
Re: Exciled or Hiding?

i believe this problem was mentioned shortly after the excile was implimented.

solution is to put people back in the active universe on login

-mist
Unread 2 Nov 2004, 00:08   #3
Kloopy
-Back Again-

Kloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud of

Indeed the only decent solution is to insert back into the game on login. And to show how proactive we are with your feedback, you can find some good news on the portal.

http://www.planetarion.com/?n=13
Kloopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Nov 2004, 00:09   #4
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Tactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Exclamation Re: Exciled or Hiding?

You could also send them back on first construction/production, or a few days after logging in, or various combinations thereof (I don't see any harm giving people a few days to regroup before sending them back to into the maelstrom but it shouldn't be indefinite).
The Ottawa Citizen and Southam News wish to apologize for our apology to Mark Steyn, published Oct. 22. In correcting the incorrect statements about Mr. Steyn published Oct. 15, we incorrectly published the incorrect correction. We accept and regret that our original regrets were unacceptable and we apologize to Mr. Steyn for any distress caused by our previous apology.
Tactitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Nov 2004, 04:14   #5
Almeida

Almeida is a splendid one to beholdAlmeida is a splendid one to beholdAlmeida is a splendid one to beholdAlmeida is a splendid one to beholdAlmeida is a splendid one to beholdAlmeida is a splendid one to beholdAlmeida is a splendid one to behold

hm i don't see a real problem there, i do not fear a planet with 400 roids and 300k score, so even if they stay there for 1000 ticks and then come back with their saved resources, they don't have enough resoures to compete with a planet that was in the normal universe with 1000 roids.
Almeida is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Nov 2004, 05:07   #6
rshih
Aaranaf's Master

rshih is just really nicershih is just really nicershih is just really nicershih is just really nicershih is just really nice

I was in c200 for a few ticks, but then when I couldnt launch my fleets at all, I exiled back. It doesnt really make a difference if its like a 400 roid planet, but if it was like a 4k roid planet who was like #1 in uni or something; then we'd have a problem. But as of right now, its only just smallish people so if they choose to not be able to get any roids/xp at all then thats their choice.
R3: nub R10: 12:9:1 to 9:7:3 G Rank #14 P Rank #194
R4: 275:6:13 R10.5: 17:9:9 quitter
R5: 4:8:4 to 35:11:x R11: 15:4:9 G Rank #10 P Rank #32
R6: 22:22:11 R12: 29:8:9
R7: 8:16:9 G Rank #52 R13: Forgot
R9: 52:6:5 for a week R14: Forgot
R9.5: 12:7:17 G Rank #17 R17: 14:3:6 G Rank #6 P Rank #9

[1up] Peon
rshih is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Nov 2004, 06:39   #7
Tis
Lost the Fury... :(

Tis has much to be proud ofTis has much to be proud ofTis has much to be proud ofTis has much to be proud ofTis has much to be proud ofTis has much to be proud ofTis has much to be proud ofTis has much to be proud of

I liked the idea of limiting income in c200+ to like 1 resource tick a day.
Tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Nov 2004, 07:45   #8
rshih
Aaranaf's Master

rshih is just really nicershih is just really nicershih is just really nicershih is just really nicershih is just really nice

I liked the idea of limiting the amunt of air you can breathe a day.
o_O
jk tis, i love you you sexeh biatch
R3: nub R10: 12:9:1 to 9:7:3 G Rank #14 P Rank #194
R4: 275:6:13 R10.5: 17:9:9 quitter
R5: 4:8:4 to 35:11:x R11: 15:4:9 G Rank #10 P Rank #32
R6: 22:22:11 R12: 29:8:9
R7: 8:16:9 G Rank #52 R13: Forgot
R9: 52:6:5 for a week R14: Forgot
R9.5: 12:7:17 G Rank #17 R17: 14:3:6 G Rank #6 P Rank #9

[1up] Peon
rshih is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Nov 2004, 08:50   #9
Hellcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almeida
hm i don't see a real problem there, i do not fear a planet with 400 roids and 300k score, so even if they stay there for 1000 ticks and then come back with their saved resources, they don't have enough resoures to compete with a planet that was in the normal universe with 1000 roids.
But they wern't just sitting on their 400 roids waiting for the resources - they were using the resources to initiate more roids.. (I think) Then the extra resources from them to init more roids etc. Plus you not fearing a planet with 400 roids does not mean that the rest of the Universe will not be annoyed when a Gal they have an attack on suddenly gets a planet with loads of roids and no fleet. Then a few ticks later has a fleet of thousands.

As for it not mattering unless #1 planet was in c200+ Well thats just the kind of attitude that we do not need in the PA community. Every planet is out there to do the best for itself - regardless if their rank is 2, 20, 200 or 2000. If they look in the Universe screen and see that they are behind a planet hiding in the exciled part of the Universe then they are going to feel cheated of that next place. Just because its not a top player who is cheated out of the next rank in the Universe does not mean that there is no problem. Personally I'm offended by such comments. I paid for my game and expect the same chance of making the best out of my time - Without problems affecting most the Universe going un-solved just because its not causing the top few players an inconvenience.

So anyway. Hats off to Kloopy for sorting this problem out. The idea of dropping them back into the Gal on sign-in sounds a good way of keeping the inactives out the woodwork. Its a shame some of the posters in this thread have not said thanks - but have only tried to suggest that it didn't need doing or wasn't important.

So Kloopy. I extend my thanks to you and the rest of the PA team for your prompt and decisive action.
Unread 2 Nov 2004, 08:59   #10
Judge
Doh!

Judge is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellcat
So Kloopy. I extend my thanks to you and the rest of the PA team for your prompt and decisive action.

Considering I pointed this flaw out over ten days ago, I wouldnt exactly call the action "Prompt"

>>> http://pirate.planetarion.com/showthread.php?t=180922
Unread 2 Nov 2004, 09:06   #11
Jester
Pedantic hypocrite

Jester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tis
I liked the idea of limiting income in c200+ to like 1 resource tick a day.
I definitely do not. What happens to the legitimate players who are exiled, log in after 6-7 ticks and are reinserted into absolutely terrible galaxies? They're attacked every few ticks, and I suspect they will be needing every resource they can get their grubby little hands on. Taking resources from a player on the whim of their GC/Ministers would be wrong.
Unread 2 Nov 2004, 12:09   #12
mist
Jolt's best friend

mist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to all

they finally fixed this?

what was the solution they implimented?

-mist
Unread 2 Nov 2004, 14:19   #13
Hellcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge
Considering I pointed this flaw out over ten days ago, I wouldnt exactly call the action "Prompt"

Well they must not like you then!

Only saying it was prompt as I posted and within a few hours the excile system was changed.

Maybe they were already working on a new system - maybe they got sick of people complaining. Regardless - they have changed PA in the way many sensible people have asked for and instead of making them feel like their time is wasted, we should say "Thanks, we appreciate you changing PA as the community wants."
Unread 2 Nov 2004, 17:01   #14
Judge
Doh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mist
they finally fixed this?

what was the solution they implimented?

-mist

http://www.planetarion.com/?n=13

Unread 2 Nov 2004, 18:10   #15
Conall
There is a better answer

Conall will become famous soon enoughConall will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge

Immediate action without contemplation has led to many PA mistakes in the past. I my opinion, a problem was presented, considered and acted upon. It seems a reasonable amount of time for resolving a problem that was not a major impact on game play.

A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.
Sir Winston Churchill
Conall is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Nov 2004, 19:37   #16
Judge
Doh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conall
Immediate action without contemplation has led to many PA mistakes in the past. I my opinion, a problem was presented, considered and acted upon. It seems a reasonable amount of time for resolving a problem that was not a major impact on game play.

I never said it was unreasonable, I merely pointed out that the action was not "prompt".
Tthe solution is a good one and most welcome.