User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions

Unread 5 Jul 2003, 16:28   #1
sword

sword is infamous around these partssword is infamous around these partssword is infamous around these parts
Lesson of the day

When my gal has been hit, the active alliance players have covered themselves with mass alliance defence, leaving the smaller less active planets uncovered.

This is fair enough, but now with the round in full flow, with the exception of a very few mega active players, in gal defence is vital to success, and I think the most succesfull galaxies have looked after their smaller guys.

So, look after ur little guys because one day, they will look after you.

And so endeth the lesson of the day.
sword is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Jul 2003, 16:55   #2
Parthos
lippy bint

Parthos is an unknown quantity at this point
You contradict yourself.

First you say folks should cover the less active planets in their gals. eg, planets who if they were the slightest bit active would have at least some sort of contact info or alliance, no matter how 'insignificant' to go to.

Then you claim that it's payback time, and now those who planned ahead can reap the rewards by their gal's inactive planets helping them out when those big guys get incs.

My question is: if these planets are too inactive to have membership in n00b-friendly/inactive-friendly alliances like IPC, Elysium, or Virus, why on earth would you expect them to ever log in in time to help with ingal defense?

( Disclaimer: Ofc, I'm a naive nitwit, cause I tend to play this game assuming folks don't keep lists of their gal's logins etc :/ )
12:17 AM: Cochese: if PA team was a liquor, they'd be that plastic-half gallon for $8 stuff
Parthos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Jul 2003, 16:58   #3
gzambo
Fightin-irish for life

gzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant future
i think his point is that if the more active members of the gal can get covered by their alliance why are they not cross defending in gal to help out the other less connected members of their gal thus increasing the gal's score and making it stronger

"In the absence of orders, find something and kill it."
-Rommel
gzambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Jul 2003, 17:06   #4
Ahriman
Mr Sexable

Ahriman is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by gzambo
i think his point is that if the more active members of the gal can get covered by their alliance why are they not cross defending in gal to help out the other less connected members of their gal thus increasing the gal's score and making it stronger
Oh, that's what he meant by "So, look after ur little guys because one day, they will look after you." I was as confused as Parthos on that point, until you cleared it up

Inactives are useless, and defending them is a waste of time unless you're just covering their roids while the exile vote is in progress Just because they add 500k or 1mil score to the gal score doesn't really make the galaxy any stronger; I certainly wouldn't flinch at attacking a galaxy with a bunch of 1mil players any more than I would with a load of blank spots.
Unread 5 Jul 2003, 17:12   #5
sword

sword is infamous around these partssword is infamous around these partssword is infamous around these parts
I logged on this morning as usual and found the big guys in my gal were being hit, and even though my score is only 2.4 million, I helped to repel three attacks from planets of scores up to around 20 million.

If my big guys had covered me earlier in the round, I guess my score would be double what it is now, and I would be able to help more.

Us inactive guys are also really good for stopping second wave attacks
Unread 5 Jul 2003, 17:15   #6
Ahriman
Mr Sexable

Ahriman is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by sword
I logged on this morning as usual and found the big guys in my gal were being hit, and even though my score is only 2.4 million, I helped to repel three attacks from planets of scores up to around 20 million.

If my big guys had covered me earlier in the round, I guess my score would be double what it is now, and I would be able to help more.

Us inactive guys are also really good for stopping second wave attacks
You don't sound as inactive as the people I'm talking about
Unread 5 Jul 2003, 17:16   #7
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
So what you're saying is that you want them to take away defense from other planets in their alliance, and give it to you?
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Jul 2003, 17:19   #8
JC
lolly roffle

JC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Quote:
Originally posted by Parthos
if these planets are too inactive to have membership in n00b-friendly/inactive-friendly alliances like Elysium, or Virus
lolly roffle
Unread 5 Jul 2003, 17:22   #9
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by JC
lolly roffle

Bet you they wouldn't let me in. Of course I wouldn't let me into an alliance so there you go.
Unread 5 Jul 2003, 17:28   #10
sword

Quote:
Originally posted by MrL_JaKiri
So what you're saying is that you want them to take away defense from other planets in their alliance, and give it to you?
Because my planet is small, if and when I do get attacked (only happened three times this round), the attacker is normally small also, so it would be quite easy for these guys to cover me.

Don't forget most hardcore players have got two or three hostile fleets out so the value is diluted, and my defence, however small, can make a big difference.

It would be interesting to hear from someone in a top 10 galaxy - do you look after ur little guys?

In gal defence = low eta = r0x0r
Unread 5 Jul 2003, 17:35   #11
JC
lolly roffle

JC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
My gal is top 150ish, not great but still all the active players try to cover as many of the active in gal players as we can. Maybe i just got lucky with a nice gal .
Unread 5 Jul 2003, 17:40   #12
Parthos
lippy bint

I'm still curious as to how a big planet is going to get overcovered on a regular basis in order to send defense fleet to inactive planets in their gal.
12:17 AM: Cochese: if PA team was a liquor, they'd be that plastic-half gallon for $8 stuff
Unread 5 Jul 2003, 17:41   #13
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Because my planet is small, if and when I do get attacked (only happened three times this round), the attacker is normally small also, so it would be quite easy for these guys to cover me.
It's still taking defense away from the alliance; they might have planets as small as you to cover.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Jul 2003, 17:50   #14
sword

Quote:
I'm still curious as to how a big planet is going to get overcovered on a regular basis in order to send defense fleet to inactive planets in their gal.
I have seen it many times - when the big planets in my gal get attacked, they often have way to much defence.

My point really is valid, I am sooo easy to cover, and I really do help block loads of attacks with my low eta BS/CR defence.

Oh and MrL_Jakiri, my galaxy is my alliance. I'm sure the most successfull galaxies have looked after their weaker members?
Unread 5 Jul 2003, 18:44   #15
Parthos
lippy bint

Quote:
I have seen it many times - when the big planets in my gal get attacked, they often have way to much defence.
Perhaps they do; however it's been my own experience that smaller planets in my gals will see 5 hostile fleets on me and 10 defense fleets and say, "hey, you are way overdefended! send some fleet to me!" - only looking at the number of defense fleets and not even considering what might be in those fleets.

Quote:

My point really is valid, I am sooo easy to cover, and I really do help block loads of attacks with my low eta BS/CR defence.
Then you are an active small planet, not a less active one.
Unread 5 Jul 2003, 19:05   #16
sword

Quote:

Then you are an active small planet, not a less active one.
I login regularly and check the gal status but im not irc active and I could never hold a high ratio of roids and I agree there are some totally inactive planets not worth defending but there are plenty others like me.

I remember when I first started PA it was all about defending your gal m8s, but now, its all about the big alliances, but good in gal defence is well, good.

Long live the Galaxy!
Unread 5 Jul 2003, 19:12   #17
dabult
Ark-miner wannabe

dabult will become famous soon enoughdabult will become famous soon enough
Omg..i think we have been doing what sword is saying for most of the round! :eek:

Ofc going through with 8+ exiles has helped, but we wouldnt have gone from hovering around ranked 400, to 200 where we are today, if we wouldnt have bothered about our smallbies earlier
Unread 5 Jul 2003, 22:52   #18
ElAlan
Muppet

ElAlan is a glorious beacon of lightElAlan is a glorious beacon of lightElAlan is a glorious beacon of lightElAlan is a glorious beacon of lightElAlan is a glorious beacon of lightElAlan is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
I login regularly and check the gal status but im not irc active and I could never hold a high ratio of roids and I agree there are some totally inactive planets not worth defending but there are plenty others like me.

I remember when I first started PA it was all about defending your gal m8s, but now, its all about the big alliances, but good in gal defence is well, good.

Long live the Galaxy!
Huh..well..yeah you are right in a way but i was practiacally never overcovered except when i predefended for that time i knew the xan was gonna launch in para :P

But i thought i had helped the gal a lot...i always sent whatever ships i had that didnt fire at my incoming elsewhere, all i could do really..i cant ask my alliance to overcover me more and take up more defence fleets so i can save peeps in gal..no matter how much i would love to

Retired.
ElAlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Jul 2003, 09:02   #19
sword

Quote:
Originally posted by ElAlan
Huh..well..yeah you are right in a way but i was practiacally never overcovered except when i predefended for that time i knew the xan was gonna launch in para :P

But i thought i had helped the gal a lot...i always sent whatever ships i had that didnt fire at my incoming elsewhere, all i could do really..i cant ask my alliance to overcover me more and take up more defence fleets so i can save peeps in gal..no matter how much i would love to
I concurr with your comments, I do exaggerate alot on the forums to emphasise a point

ps got my court date but its being held in Newport, not Cardiff.
Unread 6 Jul 2003, 16:41   #20
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Instead of leeching off a member in your galaxy who has worked hard to get into a decent alliance, why not get active, try to get into a decent alliance (surely your gal mate would vouch you) and then get defence yourself, instead of sleeping and letting everyone else do the hard work?
Unread 6 Jul 2003, 16:43   #21
sword

Quote:
Originally posted by Tomkat
Instead of leeching off a member in your galaxy who has worked hard to get into a decent alliance, why not get active, try to get into a decent alliance (surely your gal mate would vouch you) and then get defence yourself, instead of sleeping and letting everyone else do the hard work?
But some people like me cant dedicate much time to the game due to family commitments, and other interests etc. I still play because I like the game and making new friends, but I can't and don't want to spend any longer playing it than I do.
Unread 6 Jul 2003, 22:59   #22
Ragrrr
heh

Ragrrr is an unknown quantity at this point
I think protecting/teaching/helping/etc noobs is one of the best things you can do, not for yourself (necessarily) but for the game. Giving the noob a good first round experience will hopefully make him come back for another one.
Personally I enjoy helping noobs learn the game, helping them finding an alliance and how to get some of them tasty roids.
Unread 7 Jul 2003, 09:48   #23
aza1

aza1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:

Don't forget most hardcore players have got two or three hostile fleets out so the value is diluted, and my defence, however small, can make a big difference.

It would be interesting to hear from someone in a top 10 galaxy - do you look after ur little guys?

In gal defence = low eta = r0x0r
===============================

i am in t10 galaxy sword and yes we cover everyone. Though there is relatively inactive and then there is really inactive........and the really inactive ones never get incoming because they have jack all roids.
aza1 is offline   Reply With Quote