User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 7 Jun 2003, 14:11   #1
Archi
Mack Daddy

Archi is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry Ticked off

I got my gf's sister to play round 9.5. She has never played PA before in her life, and her computer skills arent the best. However she works hard and is really trying to learn. Unfortunately the galaxy she wound up in is a top 10 galaxy. This would normally be a good thing, but these guys are being total jerks with her. Calling her "stupid n00b" and other derogatory things. So now I am trying to talk her into not quitting over these idiots, and telling her that not everyone is like that. It really burns me up that we are trying to get more people to fill the dwindling PA member base. Only to have the new people that do show up treated like dirt, because they cant learn the game instantly.
Unread 7 Jun 2003, 14:18   #2
Anakin
Stealth & Shadows

Anakin is on a distinguished road
IMHO > Eliteism b0l0x.

You rottern cnuts.

You moan theirs never any targets.
You moan the communitys dead.

And some of you pull this elitism crap, and its not asif this is the only time, its a daily, hourly thing.

Things have got to change if were going to re-build this community, be thankful 9.5 has given us our old user-base back.

Its upto YOU to keep it that way.

Help these new players, ok so some of them are multi's , scan acounts and generaly people lieing about been new to get away with it.

So sus them out, and then try and pass on some of that " oh so elite " know how on.
Anakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Jun 2003, 14:23   #3
BLACK_OPPS
Comrade LENIN

BLACK_OPPS is on a distinguished road
hmmmmmmmmm elitism

/me fetches another beer
it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger.
Herman Goering
BLACK_OPPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Jun 2003, 14:24   #4
Cicada
p a r r a c i d a

Cicada is an unknown quantity at this point
well, if she'd landed in my gal she'd have been helped and welcomed..

were not all retards here
Unread 7 Jun 2003, 14:25   #5
Goatie2k1
Xanadu

Goatie2k1 is an unknown quantity at this point
:(

Hmm, this isn't a happy story.. In fact Im quite pissed off to hear this as well. I remember my first round in round 3, my friend landed up in a BIG galaxy and instead of slagging him off and calling him names, they explained the game to him and helped him grow, and in the end he became bigger than me and my friends and helped his galaxy do well.

It really annoys me that people can't accept new people into the game with open arms, instead of telling them to **** off, like Anakin says, how can we expect the community to grow, if everyone is going to be nasty to the new players.

Why not help them to play the game and make friends? Perhaps one day you'll rely on their ships for help.
Unread 7 Jun 2003, 14:33   #6
gzambo
Fightin-irish for life

gzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant future
unfortunatley we only hear about the gimps and a*shole's and never about where newcomers get help to learn the game

"In the absence of orders, find something and kill it."
-Rommel
gzambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Jun 2003, 14:34   #7
Gerbie
pe0n

Gerbie is an unknown quantity at this point
Ehm, it's an actual real girl and the guys are NOT extremely nice to her?!
round 7 noob: rank 6.198 25:20:25 - VoC member
round 8 noob: rank 4.112 7:2:3 - TFD member
round 9 rank 941 23:1:9 - TFD HC
round 9.5 rank 860 22:7:3 - TFD HC
round 10: rank unknown (was #1 for a while) 5:2:5 - Vengeance pe0n
round 10.5: rank 683 19:10:2 - VGN member
round 11: rank 138 8:8:4 - VsN member
round 12: rank 515 - VGN 'special attack officer' -> jumped ship to Rock
round 13: rank 85: NoS
Gerbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Jun 2003, 14:45   #8
Goatie
Scottish Cnut

Goatie is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Gerbie
Ehm, it's an actual real girl and the guys are NOT extremely nice to her?!
I think you just discovered the topic of conversation.
Unread 7 Jun 2003, 15:22   #9
K-W
Bored

K-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond repute
THe really stupid part is that the gal would be better off if they welcomed her.
Conspiracy Theory, Wrath, 1up, ICD, Eclipse
K-W is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Jun 2003, 15:24   #10
Sirad
Have D|ck Done Travell

Sirad is an unknown quantity at this point
every 'n00b' in the gal i'm in is treated nice althought i think they wonder when the rest of us start going at one another for laughs
Unread 7 Jun 2003, 15:26   #11
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
None of the n00bs in my galaxy speak.
Unread 7 Jun 2003, 15:28   #12
Snurx
Dirte

Snurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Quote:
Originally posted by Leshy
None of the n00bs in my galaxy speak.
Im the only one im my galaxy that does

(n00b and talking, that is)
"Freedom, morality, and the human dignity of the individual consists precisely in this; that he makes waffles not because he is forced to do so, but because he freely conceives it, wants it, and loves it."
Snurx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Jun 2003, 03:21   #13
Knight Theamion
Miles Teg

Knight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
i don't know how hard i can count on mine in my gal so i just try to set up 'rules' as in guidelines

run your fleet if you don't have def pref to the one with the most roids if he has incs

try and be online in the morning just to check
dont attack large gals, if you attack contact me and i try to arrange some more cover in the gal

etc etc etc

not working fully yet. i can't trust them that if i want them to send their FI in 3 ticks to cover me that they will actually send their FI that is now 2 ticks returning to defend me.
Unread 9 Jun 2003, 07:54   #14
CrazyConrad
DarnocYzarc

CrazyConrad is on a distinguished road
I also have some first timers in my gal and I am doing what I can to help them out. Calling them n00bs and refusing to help them is just plain stupid.

Planetarion needs all the new players it can get and its our god damn job to welcome new blood into it.

Wanna tell us the coords of that gal Archi so we can show them what we feel about that kinda behaviour...
Unread 9 Jun 2003, 10:32   #15
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by CrazyConrad
I also have some first timers in my gal and I am doing what I can to help them out. Calling them n00bs and refusing to help them is just plain stupid.
I completely agree. On the other hand, I can understand the feelings of experienced players when they end up in a galaxy with a bunch of people who flat out refuse to even use Politics, reply to PA Mails and don't come onto IRC.
Unread 9 Jun 2003, 10:52   #16
dabult
Ark-miner wannabe

dabult will become famous soon enoughdabult will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally posted by sirad
every 'n00b' in the gal i'm in is treated nice

Glad to hear you're being treated nicely Sirad
Unread 9 Jun 2003, 19:24   #17
Knight Theamion
Miles Teg

Knight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Quote:
Originally posted by Leshy
I completely agree. On the other hand, I can understand the feelings of experienced players when they end up in a galaxy with a bunch of people who flat out refuse to even use Politics, reply to PA Mails and don't come onto IRC.
if they have more then 100 roids 2 days ago i reported them, my galaxy is a bit cleaner now.
Unread 10 Jun 2003, 04:20   #18
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
This guy came on IRC the other day and entered some random channels. Luckily (for him) I was in a good mood, and burning time.

He, in short, asked me if he could ask a "few noob questions".
I am very against the elitist view. This game isn't tricky, its mostly about dedication and activity.
So I took the time to explain to him the basics of it (initiating roids, fleets, ticks, the important first 72 hour stuff).

He was a very quick learner, most of his replies were "ahhh" or "oh i get it". The only thing he had a problem with when I explained were the para and cluster travel times, in comparison to the universe and the galaxy (which is going to be void next round anyway).

So, people CAN be taught. It isn't particularly hard.
I hate this elitist view and if round 10 is going to weed out those "dedicated l33t" players, I will support it.
Tomkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Jun 2003, 04:32   #19
K-W
Bored

K-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond repute
Id have loved to teach new people in my gal the ropes, if any had bothered to come on irc.
Unread 10 Jun 2003, 11:50   #20
Scouse
[F.E.A.R.]

Scouse is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by K-W
Id have loved to teach new people in my gal the ropes, if any had bothered to come on irc.
Hi Ant.
"And when people tell me what is ok and what is not it should not be an unexpected scene seeing I extend my middle right hand digit and say: 'Eyy, would you like lemon or lime with that piece of advice, mister?'"

Funny Film Reviews :: SWOS
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Jun 2003, 12:28   #21
MegaNova
m33p

MegaNova is a jewel in the roughMegaNova is a jewel in the roughMegaNova is a jewel in the roughMegaNova is a jewel in the rough
Sais it all
Unread 10 Jun 2003, 13:26   #22
K-W
Bored

Quote:
Originally posted by Scouse
Hi Ant.
Are you seven?

I mean honest to god, did Planetarion recruit mostly in nurseries when you joined?
Unread 10 Jun 2003, 14:11   #23
Scouse
[F.E.A.R.]

Scouse is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by K-W
Are you seven?

I mean honest to god, did Planetarion recruit mostly in nurseries when you joined?
Super-Germania-Counter-Argument attack!

Mocking people's intelligence! Go Germ.

Would you me to go into why you got so upset over 2 words?
"And when people tell me what is ok and what is not it should not be an unexpected scene seeing I extend my middle right hand digit and say: 'Eyy, would you like lemon or lime with that piece of advice, mister?'"

Funny Film Reviews :: SWOS
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Jun 2003, 14:37   #24
coza
Banned

coza is an unknown quantity at this point
The new players in my gal
actually want to play and are all nearly active on irc
so i cant complain :P
coza is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Jun 2003, 18:23   #25
K-W
Bored

Quote:
Originally posted by Scouse
Super-Germania-Counter-Argument attack!

Mocking people's intelligence! Go Germ.

Would you me to go into why you got so upset over 2 words?
Im not sure where you got upset?

Its just that between your silly lightbulb joke and the little shot thrown in here your being particularly childish today. So I pointed it out. Ill let you know when you upset me scouse, if that day ever comes.

And I didnt mock your intelligence, I mocked the maturity of your posts. (you will notice no reference whatsoever to intelligence) And im not sure you can really defend that considering the posts.
Unread 10 Jun 2003, 20:10   #26
sword

sword is infamous around these partssword is infamous around these partssword is infamous around these parts
If people want some help, they can ask me - I am a top player
sword is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Jun 2003, 21:00   #27
SYMM
Love's Sweet Exile

SYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better place
/me huggles swordy

Wasn't there an almost identical post to this on AD last week?
Unread 12 Jun 2003, 03:52   #28
Sirad
Have D|ck Done Travell

Sirad is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by dabult
Glad to hear you're being treated nicely Sirad
yea they wubs me, but no I wont give you my address so you can send me roses ;p
Unread 12 Jun 2003, 05:32   #29
sinnamon xie
teens1ut

sinnamon xie is an unknown quantity at this point
She can always self-exile herself, or shake her tits a bit and I am sure they will all bow down. Tell her to put a decent picture of herself on the gallery and the rest will fall into place.

This is PA afterall.

[M&S]
sinnamon xie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Jun 2003, 12:47   #30
TeraHertz
TeraHertz? Who's that?

TeraHertz is an unknown quantity at this point
Well, if this was a paid round she could probably get herself moved by the pa team. As it is, exile is probably the best option. However, this top 10 galaxy will probably destroy her home planet when she does.

If you can wrangle the PA-Team into doing it she can have a place In my galaxy.
TeraHertz is offline   Reply With Quote