User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 20 Jul 2006, 00:16   #1
cheekybru
Synaptidian

cheekybru is an unknown quantity at this point
One Man 80 Wives

Freaky Shit.......Anyone watch it?

That town is the stuff horror films are made of, and those tapes were just dangerous

<vampy> Cheek is 1337
<Zeus> Cheek is 1337 <-- maybe?
<idimmu> Cheek is 1337
cheekybru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Jul 2006, 00:21   #2
Demon Dave
Insanity Prawn Boy!

Demon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriend
Re: One Man 80 Wives

what?
We shall remember them.
Demon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Jul 2006, 00:23   #3
cheekybru
Synaptidian

Chan 4 - 11pm Tonight

http://www.fbi.gov/wanted/topten/fugitives/jeff_ws.htm

Bout this guy

<vampy> Cheek is 1337
<idimmu> Cheek is 1337
Unread 20 Jul 2006, 00:24   #4
PSH
Registered Abuser

PSH is a pillar of this Internet societyPSH is a pillar of this Internet societyPSH is a pillar of this Internet societyPSH is a pillar of this Internet societyPSH is a pillar of this Internet societyPSH is a pillar of this Internet societyPSH is a pillar of this Internet societyPSH is a pillar of this Internet societyPSH is a pillar of this Internet societyPSH is a pillar of this Internet societyPSH is a pillar of this Internet society

Documentry on Channel 4 about a cult leader. Weird stuff, if you have ever seen The Village it was like a real life version of that.
Unread 20 Jul 2006, 00:28   #5
cheekybru
Synaptidian

Only loads worse :P

Like a modern hitler, with his "Germany" being a religious cult in america

<vampy> Cheek is 1337
<idimmu> Cheek is 1337
Unread 20 Jul 2006, 00:44   #6
dda
USS Oklahoma

dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

But he had 40 irrefragable proofs that god wanted him to have 80 wives.
Unread 20 Jul 2006, 00:59   #7
jt25man
Victim of Marriage

jt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud of

I dunno why they always have to make it a religious cult thing and say they need 80 wives, can't they just admit they're nerds and can't get laid otherwise. For crying out loud, spend your money on hookers, it's probably cheaper than 80 wives anyway.
jt25man is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Jul 2006, 01:31   #8
Proxi
Ron Burgundy

Proxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant future

Yes, but if he wasn't the prophet of his cult, he wouldn't be revered as "God on earth" by his followers.

Or get $5,000,000 a month of them. (10% of their earnings go in a tithe to the cult/community)

Or be able to molest children and get away with it. So I suppose being a cultist and having 80 wives has some advantages in these respects.

Edit: And for the people who watched it: That sheriff in Eldorado had clearly been bought off. Also, did anyone else think that the FBI weren't at all bothered by the fact that this man is at large?
Unread 20 Jul 2006, 02:48   #9
bwtmc
thinking, that's all.

bwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure the States will declare war on his temple before long.
Unread 20 Jul 2006, 03:43   #10
jt25man
Victim of Marriage

jt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud of

Has anyone else noticed, the US doesn't really have the best track record with dealing with cults. They usually all seem to end in tragedy, at least as long as I can remember.
Unread 20 Jul 2006, 09:29   #11
PSH
Registered Abuser

PSH is a pillar of this Internet societyPSH is a pillar of this Internet societyPSH is a pillar of this Internet societyPSH is a pillar of this Internet societyPSH is a pillar of this Internet societyPSH is a pillar of this Internet societyPSH is a pillar of this Internet societyPSH is a pillar of this Internet societyPSH is a pillar of this Internet societyPSH is a pillar of this Internet societyPSH is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proxi
That sheriff in Eldorado had clearly been bought off.
He was the typical hick town sheriff "If I see him I may take action", he is on the FBI most wanted list and living in your town you lazy inbred!
Unread 20 Jul 2006, 12:15   #12
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Yes, but if he wasn't the prophet of his cult, he wouldn't be revered as "God on earth" by his followers.

Or get $5,000,000 a month of them. (10% of their earnings go in a tithe to the cult/community)

Or be able to molest children and get away with it. So I suppose being a cultist and having 80 wives has some advantages in these respects.

Edit: And for the people who watched it: That sheriff in Eldorado had clearly been bought off. Also, did anyone else think that the FBI weren't at all bothered by the fact that this man is at large?
What exactly makes this Religion a Cult? Having done some reading just now (I'm at work and bored so it was a waste of some time ) its just a subset of "the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints" which is better known as the Mormon Church. When the Mormons changed their religious believes to outlaw polygamy as it was generally outlawed by countries governments the it forced those whom wanted to follow the traditional teachings to start their own Church and as such we now have Religions like the "FLDS".

Having between 6 and 10k members hardly strikes me as being cult like and if they are a cult surely Mormans are part of a Cult. And what about Catholicism is Treveler part of a Cult also and that Pastor Chuck he quotes so much a cult leader. Don't all religions have people following the leaders blindly and without question and all require something in return from its members be it money, helping inside the church or recruiting others
The Farnborough Crew
Cos anything else is just an alliance
Join our public channel at #f-crew
wakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Jul 2006, 12:24   #13
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
What a clear sign of a cult
Unread 20 Jul 2006, 12:26   #14
jt25man
Victim of Marriage

Reading wakey's post, the word Catholocism reminded me that I know too many Catholic jokes, especially ones about alter boys.
jt25man is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Jul 2006, 12:42   #15
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBGood
What a clear sign of a cult
So giving away some of your income for the good of the community is a sign of being in a cult? Hey I give away away 22% of each paycheck for the good of the community am I in a cult? And where did the Catholic church get all its money from if not from its members?
The Farnborough Crew
Unread 20 Jul 2006, 12:48   #16
hyfe
Dum Di Dum Di

hyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakey
And what about Catholicism is Treveler part of a Cult also and that Pastor Chuck he quotes so much a cult leader.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wikipedia, the bastion of thruth and champion of justice
In religion and sociology, a cult is a cohesive group of people ([cut]) devoted to beliefs or practices that the surrounding culture or society considers to be far outside the mainstream
Calling Catholicism a cult (and Treveler reasonably insane), works for me atleast.
Unread 20 Jul 2006, 12:53   #17
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
So giving away some of your income for the good of the community is a sign of being in a cult? Hey I give away away 22% of each paycheck for the good of the community am I in a cult? And where did the Catholic church get all its money from if not from its members?
Note to wakey: when I use the :mad: smiley I'm probably making a joke
Unread 20 Jul 2006, 13:12   #18
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Sounds to me like wakey is a cult leader!

What does he make them do, write exceedingly long posts on internet forums?!

I bet he's on the FBI most wanted too!

What?

Well he SHOULD be!
Unread 20 Jul 2006, 13:19   #19
Proxi
Ron Burgundy

Proxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant future

I'm referring to it as a cult mostly as that is how it was described in the program.
However, one of the markers was that there is an absolute leader, who could interfere in all aspects of his followers daily lives, and had done so with menancing concequences.

For example, one man who had contributed an approximation of $10 million over his years in the FLDS was turfed out with no money and no possessions because his 14 year old daughter was caught kissing a boyfriend.

I am aware that other religions have 'absolute' leaders, but Warren Jeffs, unlike these others is able to dictate the course of peoples lives against their will, and has caused the destruction of many families by forceful seperation. Also, how many religions or religous leaders in modern times have advocated killing in the name of their prophet? (who would in this case be good 'ol Warren)

As an aside, the program indicated that the FLDS was likely, or is at least rumoured to end in mass suicide. Is this not indicative of cult aspects?
Unread 20 Jul 2006, 13:59   #20
JonnyBGood
Banned

Sounds like Catholicism alright..

Except catholics don't kill themselves
Unread 20 Jul 2006, 14:17   #21
wakey
Hamster

Quote:
As an aside, the program indicated that the FLDS was likely, or is at least rumoured to end in mass suicide. Is this not indicative of cult aspects?
Anyone can make claims that thats someones end game. If I decalre that Catholicism's end game is to commit mass suicide it doesnt mean I'm right. I havent found a single peice of evidence in my reading this morning to support this claim, infact I havent found anyone even making that claim.

And pretty much all the other points you made are present in all the major religions. The only difference imho is that they go about it in a less obvious way but they still use their infulence and fear into dictating decisions their followers make.

Labelling groups that arent part of the main branches of the big religions cults just seems to me to be another way for these religions to pass themselves off as being good as everything that is wrong with their religion just seems lesser in comparision to a slightly unusual group especially with the right negative spin impossed on it
The Farnborough Crew
Unread 20 Jul 2006, 14:19   #22
JonnyBGood
Banned

Quote:
And pretty much all the other points you made are present in all the major religions. The only difference imho is that they go about it in a less obvious way
I dunno dude those crusades weren't exactly the height of subtlety.
Unread 20 Jul 2006, 14:37   #23
wakey
Hamster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBGood
I dunno dude those crusades weren't exactly the height of subtlety.
I'm assuming JBG is joking again but incase anyone else is thinking the same what I meant was in recent history.
The Farnborough Crew
Unread 20 Jul 2006, 17:55   #24
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

ChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriend

That 80 wives thing reminds me of that Simpsons episode where Abe Simpson goes to visit his long lost brother on a tropical island. To misquote:

Abe: This is paradise.
Abe's brother: Yes, and I have 12 beautiful wives.
Abe: Wow, think of all the sex!
Abe's brother: Sex? I said wives, not girlfriends.
Unread 20 Jul 2006, 18:03   #25
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChubbyChecker
That 80 wives thing reminds me of that Simpsons episode where Abe Simpson goes to visit his long lost brother on a tropical island. To misquote:

Abe: This is paradise.
Abe's brother: Yes, and I have 12 beautiful wives.
Abe: Wow, think of all the sex!
Abe's brother: Sex? I said wives, not girlfriends.
I bet that was a newer one because C4 are showing old old ones at the minute and they're uniformly shite
Unread 20 Jul 2006, 18:28   #26
gzambo
Fightin-irish for life

gzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant future

omg 80 mother's in law

"In the absence of orders, find something and kill it."
-Rommel
gzambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Jul 2006, 19:12   #27
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

ChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablissimo
I bet that was a newer one because C4 are showing old old ones at the minute and they're uniformly shite
Yeah, it's a new one. The new episodes aren't particularly good either, what with all the "wacky" storylines. The old episodes at least have a retro 90's feel to them.
Unread 21 Jul 2006, 00:37   #28
dda
USS Oklahoma

dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Even the Mormons never condoned child sexual abuse. They did believe that there was a biblical duty of a man toward his brother's widow. However, they ultimately bought off on the whole "render unto Caesar" admonition in the new testiment which they felt was a decree to follow the laws of man.