User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions

Unread 22 May 2010, 15:23   #51
Light
You've Seen The Light
Speed Cards Champion

Light has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Dear zPeti part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishmaster View Post
Like I said, I DONT LIKE THAT OTHER GAME cause its too casual. I then say that I still think theres a market for PA without making it too casual. People just need to know that we are here. Need to learn the basics.
So why did you link the other game? the only thing linking the other game showed is that theres still quiet a big market for casual space games.

Its also not just a case of letting people know we are here, its about getting a higher retention rate on new users.. I think i remember mz showing PA statistics that we get a steady number of new users each round, we just cant keep them. We're in a state that Eve is/was and they are heavily trying to rectify it, at one point (im not sure if its still the case), Eve was getting more 'new users' than WoW, the only difference was that the new users were getting bored and quitting giving WoW a much better user retention rate. An additional benefit of the passport system is that it should give a higher (small) user retention rate if its advertised properly and people are given incentives to play the next round.

PA needs to become more casual in order to survive but casual doesnt have to mean completly dumbing down the game. You have multiple ways to do this but the easiest way is to make the game easier or simpler to understand and allow solo play to be viable (Viable as in, not getting absolutly destroyed the second you get roids but allowed to grow), this would mean an overhaul of the scan system, the quest system, the stat system and the income system.

Quote:
Light, do you think people should spend their time doing shit they dont like?
No, my point was simply that the community is resistant to any change, as the changes needed to be made are those which make the game more casual.

Quote:
Hence why I wouldnt play PA if it got shit casual and why I said I wont play ST rounds cause I just dont like it, I dont have fun while playing. It has NOTHING to do with fortressing, but I dont think ST / MT discussion should be had here.
Which was my original point, that the community is resistant to change.

Quote:
and stopped playing twice? I havent stopped playing, Ijust said I wont play that round. I havent quit PA.
but if the changes were permenant?
First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin. Then shalt thou count to three, no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it.
Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 May 2010, 15:59   #52
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linkie View Post
Also gm, I think a majority of people I talk to disagrees with pretty much everything you said (except maybe removing alliance limits), so I'm pretty sure you saying that "most people this" or "some people that" is something you are totally pulling out of your ass.
gm doesn't suggest removing alliance limits, quite the opposite.

Also, crazy but true, Light appears to be making a lot of sense in this thread, though I must admit to mostly just skimming it.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 May 2010, 16:09   #53
Linkie
fanboy

Linkie is a splendid one to beholdLinkie is a splendid one to beholdLinkie is a splendid one to beholdLinkie is a splendid one to beholdLinkie is a splendid one to beholdLinkie is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by [DDK]gm View Post
what benifits does passport provide? I dont use it for any other websites.

priority i would of thought would be the game.
Light already mentioned a few. It also adds the possibility of adding achievements, which although pretty hollow, do add more content to the game. It's also a pretty cool thing in my opinion, being able to track your own record for the game and being able to look up other people is pretty useful. If you have a look at some other games, there's plenty of possibilities of what you can do with it.

Edit: I'd like to add that I do agree that there are probably other in-game aspects that are more important to change, but I do not agree that a passport system is useless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzyxptlk View Post
gm doesn't suggest removing alliance limits, quite the opposite.
But he said we could do it, and that was a good idea!!

FOUNDER OF THE OFFICIAL ASCENDANCY LADY GAGA FAN CLUB

ASCENDANCY DEMOLITION MAN
Linkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 May 2010, 21:02   #54
Reincarnate
ToF

Reincarnate is a name known to allReincarnate is a name known to allReincarnate is a name known to allReincarnate is a name known to allReincarnate is a name known to allReincarnate is a name known to all

passport is something i personally will be very glad to see.

i think we should take what we are give at the stage. look forward to passport and the further improvements we can moan about once we have it.
[19:10] <coffee-> dont worry about Reincarnate he is an angry man

R1 - 9 none | R10.5 - 13 [ToF] | R14 [Reunion] | R15-17 [Subh] | R18 - 36 PA vacation | R37 [Evo] | R38 [NFI] | R39 & 40 [ToF] | R41 [Omega] | R42 - 47 [ToF][HC]
Reincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 May 2010, 00:51   #55
Korsan
Always MadcowS

Korsan is a jewel in the roughKorsan is a jewel in the roughKorsan is a jewel in the roughKorsan is a jewel in the rough

Just a question: What is that passport for? I really don't know its purpose someone please explain.

And...

Relation Change Ascendancy and the Horde are now at war with each other.
Korsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 May 2010, 00:57   #56
_Kila_
break it down!

_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society

it's a login name that you only have to make once, you won't need to make it over each round. It'll track your progress over the rounds and will probably have achievements. It just makes signing up so much less painful.
Unread 23 May 2010, 03:27   #57
GReaper
The BOFH

GReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Light View Post
Admins and Owners very rarely post on forums in alot of games, mainly due to it being pointless. You dont get constructive critisism or anything of real value from doing so, you just open yourself up to abuse; This thread is a prime example of that If you want more communication, then learn to communicate yourself without flaming.. If you feel something is wrong, then explain why its wrong not just random flaming about the subject.
Most modern MMORPGs tend to have official forums which the company hosts themselves or they'll interact on a 3rd party forum where the vast majority of their community tends to visit.

Usually it's the job of a community manager to interact with the customers, however Planetarion doesn't have anyone doing this role. The only blog/forum posts these days are round X starting and round X results. The ingame MOTD gets updated, but this isn't really a quality communication channel for the future of the game.

If there was someone giving updates on a regular basis then I'm sure there wouldn't be any need for threads like this.
GReaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 May 2010, 14:23   #58
[DDK]gm

[DDK]gm has a brilliant future[DDK]gm has a brilliant future[DDK]gm has a brilliant future[DDK]gm has a brilliant future[DDK]gm has a brilliant future[DDK]gm has a brilliant future[DDK]gm has a brilliant future[DDK]gm has a brilliant future[DDK]gm has a brilliant future[DDK]gm has a brilliant future[DDK]gm has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Kila_ View Post
it's a login name that you only have to make once, you won't need to make it over each round. It'll track your progress over the rounds and will probably have achievements. It just makes signing up so much less painful.
takes me about 20 seconds to create my login for the new round, as for training materials and achievements, they cant even produce an uptodate manual for PA. I feel people are making too big a deal out of the passport system and there are bigger problems to be addressed with PA-Team and the game itself.
R10 Eclipse
R10.5-R13 FAnG
R20-23 CT
R23 (CT BG) ToF
R24-R82... CT
[DDK]gm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 May 2010, 17:41   #59
Light
You've Seen The Light
Speed Cards Champion

Light has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GReaper View Post
Most modern MMORPGs tend to have official forums which the company hosts themselves or they'll interact on a 3rd party forum where the vast majority of their community tends to visit.

Usually it's the job of a community manager to interact with the customers, however Planetarion doesn't have anyone doing this role. The only blog/forum posts these days are round X starting and round X results. The ingame MOTD gets updated, but this isn't really a quality communication channel for the future of the game.

If there was someone giving updates on a regular basis then I'm sure there wouldn't be any need for threads like this.
I dont visit alot of MMORPG websites but from my experience while playing WoW is that the main community interaction and information is through announcement threads rather than admins posting in individual threads. Infact, threads asking for a blue responce or involving petitions are instantly closed.

They have 'community managers'/'moderators' on the forums but they dont tend to provide any real insight or discussion. They tend to restate information to people asking questions i.e. general support, direct them to how they can solve there issue (usually the correct email) or post in offtopic/comedy threads.

Edit: I've just gone through the last 10 posts Blizzard posters have made on there forums and they are:
1. Regarding Alpha leaks of WoW thread, just saying they should email hacks@blizzard about any know leak source/website.
2. Clarifying a shaman totem range.
3. Scheduled Maintenance announcement.
4. Realm Restart announcement.
5. Happy Birthday thread.
6. Starcraft 2 known issues with patch 13 announcement, no discussion on them.. just the announcement.
7. Thread about Blizzcon always being in california, this the only real example of community insight and it isnt even about the game. Just stating why its usually in california and how they choose there locations.
8. Posting in a Downfall of Blizzard thread, making a comedy post
9. Clarifying a bug in Starcraft 2.
10. Post saying that Blizzards blue posters make mistakes and are just people, that they may speak for blizzard but they dont always have all the information or might be uninformed.

They never engage in a discussion about gameplay mechanics, changes or other things. These are done via announcements and then they only respond in that announcement thread to clarify things, never to actual discuss them. If they decide they want to let people know why things have been changed, they do this in an announcement as well with no additional discussion (which can be seen with every patch in Starcraft 2).

In short, WoW (the most successful MMO) community managers only answer questions which have a direct answer, such as "can you clarify the new totem range for shamans?" or "is it intended that mages can do this". They never discuss actual changes with the community with multiple responces nor do they get involved in flame threads other than to close them.

What you're suggesting is that mz just becomes a super moderator and is responsible for posting replys to support questions and whenever someone questions a future change or gameplay element, to state the scripted 'Planetarion admins are currently working on X change and they will be testing it before it goes live" or "While this is a good suggestion, the PA Team has very limited time to code changes and as such, changes are done based on priority and the time it takes to do them. I will forward this suggestion to the PA Team and they will decide what course of action to take". Thats it.

Now saying that, the only situation i can see where it would be beneficial and actual a good idea to engage the community. Is if the owner was Spinner, as he wouldnt be greeted with rage or trolling but would be welcomed by the community as the 'savior of PA' even though he hadnt done anything yet, due to his past experience. zPeti doesnt and will probably never have this luxury and no matter what he announces, he will be greeted by flame. If i remember correctly, one round after zPeti took over, the flames started.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [DDK]gm View Post
takes me about 20 seconds to create my login for the new round, as for training materials and achievements, they cant even produce an uptodate manual for PA. I feel people are making too big a deal out of the passport system and there are bigger problems to be addressed with PA-Team and the game itself.
No, a passport system isnt a big deal. It just allows the PA team to implement 'minor' changes to round starts which should higher the new user retention rate through achievements, bonuses for playing multiple rounds, and a better tutorial system. Yes, there are bigger problems which need to be addressed. However, no-one actually agree's on what these problems are and what should be changed.. and the PA Team dont really want to upset the status que by implementing the 'more casual' friendly changes which are required. As ive stated previous in this thread, the community agree's the game needs more players (and thus needs to be more casual) but it also resists any change which makes the game more casual which puts the PA Team in a tricky spot, where they must choose weither they want to risk losing a portion of the current community.. At the moment, the community is big enough to be turning a profit for the game, so they probably feel they dont need to risk it.
First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin. Then shalt thou count to three, no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it.
Unread 23 May 2010, 17:55   #60
Kargool
Up The Hatters!

Kargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Huff.
I just love the fact how you completely ignored my post where I pointed out the complete opposite to your statement previous. But that's okay. I guess my point was that it is completely possible for creators and coders to participate in the debate provided themselves put down real limits onto what the topic is about since off topic discussions is one of the easiest ways to derail anything in here.

It is also quite possible to do things another way that WOW without being a complete failure belive it or not.
Unread 23 May 2010, 18:04   #61
Light
You've Seen The Light
Speed Cards Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kargool View Post
I just love the fact how you completely ignored my post where I pointed out the complete opposite to your statement previous. But that's okay. I guess my point was that it is completely possible for creators and coders to participate in the debate provided themselves put down real limits onto what the topic is about since off topic discussions is one of the easiest ways to derail anything in here.

It is also quite possible to do things another way that WOW without being a complete failure belive it or not.
No, my original statement was that zPeti should only talk in announcements and not engage in flame threads or threads directly calling for his posts. If he engages in flame threads, he will just be adding fuel to the fire and lets face it? what other discussions do we have relating to PA on these forums? the only other ones are gameplay changes (which have flaming on both sides but some are usually constructive) where by zPeti has no real knowledge of the game and couldnt post anything of any use anyway.

I dont see any other way to do things though, As the community is angry/frustrated/bored with the game and no responce made by the Admin team or zPeti would solve that. Additional communication wouldnt help anything other than keep going over the fact that the current team does not have the time nor wants to risk enacting real gameplay changes.

I dont really understand what you would want them to post in threads? as all i can see is "Hey, this is a pretty good suggestion but we dont have the time to implement it.. keep up the good work though!". PA Team get flamed just for changing the gameplay to ST instead of MT, what do you think would happen if they actually took the time to code in a change which made the game alot more casual (to try and get more players)?
Unread 23 May 2010, 18:24   #62
Zoro

Zoro has a spectacular aura aboutZoro has a spectacular aura aboutZoro has a spectacular aura about

I just read through the whole thread - quite interesting

Everyone seems to making sensible arguments to some extent.

My take is this

When I heard PA was getting new owners I was quite excited. The initial sounds eminating from zPeti were that things would get much better (and very soon). There was talk of him working full time on PA and as far as I can remember a budget for attracting new players.

I (excitedly) spent a few hours on an email to zPeti (he had requested anyone with ideas to email).

I awaited a response - a day, a week, a month went by without response (no response to this day). At that point with no response I kinda thought to myself that alot of what had been touted about improvements etc were just nonsense.

My feeling now is that PA is just a small cog in a bigger wheel and as soon as costs outweigh income it will be discarded.

Just my opinion
Zoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 May 2010, 18:27   #63
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I don't like how my name is coming up in this thread in a capacity of "someone who we can ask to do more shit".
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Unread 23 May 2010, 18:41   #64
Light
You've Seen The Light
Speed Cards Champion

Quote:
I don't like how my name is coming up in this thread in a capacity of "someone who we can ask to do more shit".
Just brought up your name as your the main moderator on these forums; so would be the person who does the scripted responces in threads. However, i really dont think PA needs a community manager as we only have about 2 active threads at a time
Unread 24 May 2010, 00:29   #65
Spinner
Founder of Planetarion

Spinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant future

To bring up a famous quote:
"What we've got here is...failure to communicate."
At least for starters.

Kargool raises a few completely valid points, and suggests it is time for a little update. With 4 months since the owners last piece of public information in regards to Planetarion, I would say the suggestion is fair and the update is overdue.

As a result, an update is posted, with a rather sarcastic and bitter tone I might add, revealing a new portal / passport system.
What a great way to promote something new and coming, by telling everyone what their opinions and responses will be, and even manage to present the whole thing as something negative! ("not enough", "not what you want").
Epic fail.

I have to say I do not understand this communication-strategy or marketing-strategy. "Let us say nothing, until some annoying customer nags for it in the forums and we are forced to tell everyone we have been working on something that isn't really enough or not even what they wanted"?

I run a game with about 40x the number of active users, in a game played in about 20 languages, by people from all over the world. Announcements are posted in the forums at fairly regular intervals, and translated by moderators when needed. In times of "heavy development", I updated the development blog about once every 10 days to try to keep players informed of what is going on. In times where there is not a lot going on (not a lot that will concern the players for a while anyway), then I simply let them know that "we are working on XXX, but we do not yet have an exact date of completion".

Now, Kargool provided a perfect opportunity for the owners to come forward with good news and plans for the future, even if they were seriously overdue. I am not a guru of communication, but if I may so bold..What about something like this:

Hello Kargool, and everyone else.
We apologize for the lack of communication the past months, but we have been seriously overworked in other areas which prevented us from spending the required time and resources on Planetarion. We know we promised great things to come, and even though delayed, this is still the plan.
Our first upgrade is a new portal / passport system, and for those that do not know what that means, here is a brief explanation:
<explanation of the system and portal>
And best of all, it will enable us to provide the following new services to you:
<List of cool things from having a persistent profile-system>
All of this will be available as of next round.
To those hoping for more ingame improvements, we are happy to present you with this list of planned improvements:
<List of ingame-changes>
<List of ingame-changes>
<List of ingame-changes>
<List of ingame-changes>
<List of ingame-changes>
We do not yet have a completion-date for all of these, but you will learn more during the next round.

One of the BENEFITS of having a small community, is that YOU CAN handle communication on a fairly direct level. There is a chance of discussing directly with your customers, at least those who care enough to enter the discussion! What a golden opportunity that is! Comparing it to how Blizzard communicates with WoW-players is somewhat of a wasted point, as they did not get huge and popular because of scarce communication With 50 million players, your ability to communicate in that way is somewhat limited.

I do not say I have all the answers and all the right ways of communicating, and I happily admit making my mistakes along the way, but I still enter discussions directly in ManagerLeague in the forums where I can understand the language, about game-play, about changes, about the community and even in threads where I am being targeted. I don't say an owner needs to respond in every thread, or every thread a response is requested, but 4 months between posts is simply not good enough. And specially not when things have been promised and questions have been left unanswered.

I still wish you good luck, because I think the entire community (owners, players and "trolls" alike) will need it.

With respect

- Spinner

Last edited by Spinner; 24 May 2010 at 00:38.
Spinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 May 2010, 05:55   #66
Monroe
Planetarion Forum Moderator

Monroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud of

Spinner clearly has some real world experiences with these types of issues. I do as well. I am a product manager for a tech company (ok not a game, but high tech) that had more then $20 million USD in revenues last year and is growing in a down economy at more then 30% a year. How do we do it? By listening to our customers. I spend a big chunk of each and every one of my days listening to customers, sifting through their wants, needs, and ideas trying to find the ones that will make my company successful. I will tell you it is a lot of hard work, and it can be extremely tough sifting out the ideas that are good from the ones that are bad.

This is part of the job, the other side of this is I have to continually be plotting out a road map of where my products are going and validating them with my customer base, and potential customer base, to make sure my products are going in the right direction. This requires me to be in constant communication with my customers, and I firm believe that any company, no matter how big or small that wishes to remain in business, much less grow, needs to be doing the same.

Are the forums the best place to do this for PA? Probably not, but I think Kargool, Spinner, and company raise a very important point about customer service and working with your customers rather then hiding from them. So here is to hoping that zPeti starts to listen and interact with his player base, but so far his track record has been about on par with the rest of PA's owners since Spinner sold the game. Sad, but true.

#strategy
Monroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 May 2010, 13:48   #67
M0RPH3US
idle

M0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really nice

let Zpeti work !!!

the king is dead (spinner), hail the king

"It´s not about how hard u hit, its about how hard u can get hit and still keep moving forward! How much u can take and still move forward!"
M0RPH3US is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Jul 2010, 23:57   #68
Spinner
Founder of Planetarion

Spinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant future

Is there any place for us mortals to read about what he IS working on, the PA-related stuff, I mean?
Is there a public plan somewhere, or is there only silence? A vague roadmap on a secret URL maybe? A clue? Anything?
Unread 15 Jul 2010, 01:18   #69
Elevator
Crackhead

Elevator is a jewel in the roughElevator is a jewel in the roughElevator is a jewel in the roughElevator is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
Is there any place for us mortals to read about what he IS working on, the PA-related stuff, I mean?
Is there a public plan somewhere, or is there only silence? A vague roadmap on a secret URL maybe? A clue? Anything?
Guess?
I do believe there might be a hidden doorway behind the coming passport system where a fairy lives with her woodland critters....and rumor has it there is a plan there somewhere.

I do have to say I'm quite impressed with ML.
Clear communication, clear direction. No MHs bitching without any understanding of the game. And admins who actually know the game well because they also play it....
Well worth credits each season!
I think there is a lesson for zPeti there
Unread 15 Jul 2010, 10:39   #70
Spinner
Founder of Planetarion

Thank you I can't take credit for all of those kind words, but I will certainly pass them on to the other admins

And I agree, <CENSORED> has been a pretty good example of games like these can be run.

I did make a lot of mistakes with PA, but I've made damn sure I don't repeat them in ML

Nor do I intend to do so with <CENSORED>

Last edited by Appocomaster; 15 Jul 2010 at 21:02. Reason: advertising
Spinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Jul 2010, 10:51   #71
Elevator
Crackhead

Elevator is a jewel in the roughElevator is a jewel in the roughElevator is a jewel in the roughElevator is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Nor do I intend to do so with <CENSORED>
"Spinner - Ruiner of countless lives since 2000AD"

Damn addictive games...

Last edited by Appocomaster; 15 Jul 2010 at 21:02.
Elevator is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Jul 2010, 11:09   #72
Shev
So what?

Shev is a splendid one to beholdShev is a splendid one to beholdShev is a splendid one to beholdShev is a splendid one to beholdShev is a splendid one to beholdShev is a splendid one to beholdShev is a splendid one to behold

Could do with a mailing list signup Spinner, I'm not a fan of facebook.

[RaH] [Mercenaries]
Shev is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Jul 2010, 13:47   #73
Mek
InSomniac

Mek is a splendid one to beholdMek is a splendid one to beholdMek is a splendid one to beholdMek is a splendid one to beholdMek is a splendid one to beholdMek is a splendid one to beholdMek is a splendid one to behold

me and Melrin were just discussing pete this morning.

it's been ages since he laast posted anything to keep us updated. infact i think we have now had 2 rounds (?) without so much as a forum post.

come on pete, start showing us some respect and actually talk to us...

Runner up in the InSomnia 'Drunkest HC' competition - Currently on the wagon

Elysium | HR | eXilition | OuZo | ND | InSomnia | DLR

db battlegroup founder and spiritual leader

Sexytime HC of Belgians (#s3xytime)

Not so retired anymore....
Mek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Jul 2010, 15:51   #74
Heartless
CRASHING BEATS 'N FANTASY

Heartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mek View Post
me and Melrin were just discussing pete this morning.

it's been ages since he laast posted anything to keep us updated. infact i think we have now had 2 rounds (?) without so much as a forum post.

come on pete, start showing us some respect and actually talk to us...
Obviously zPete has been busy earlier this year.

Also, Spinner, interesting approach to viral marketing there, but I remember times when such things got banned on these forums. ;-) When is there going to be a beta?
Unread 15 Jul 2010, 16:02   #75
Paisley
The brother of Spammer

Paisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of light

Make spinner an offer to buy the game back please
Unread 15 Jul 2010, 16:06   #76
Ave

Ave is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
So why did you link the other game? the only thing linking the other game showed is that theres still quiet a big market for casual space games.

Its also not just a case of letting people know we are here, its about getting a higher retention rate on new users.. I think i remember mz showing PA statistics that we get a steady number of new users each round, we just cant keep them. We're in a state that Eve is/was and they are heavily trying to rectify it, at one point (im not sure if its still the case), Eve was getting more 'new users' than WoW, the only difference was that the new users were getting bored and quitting giving WoW a much better user retention rate. An additional benefit of the passport system is that it should give a higher (small) user retention rate if its advertised properly and people are given incentives to play the next round.

PA needs to become more casual in order to survive but casual doesnt have to mean completly dumbing down the game. You have multiple ways to do this but the easiest way is to make the game easier or simpler to understand and allow solo play to be viable (Viable as in, not getting absolutly destroyed the second you get roids but allowed to grow), this would mean an overhaul of the scan system, the quest system, the stat system and the income system.

No, my point was simply that the community is resistant to any change, as the changes needed to be made are those which make the game more casual.

Which was my original point, that the community is resistant to change.

but if the changes were permenant?

I dont see why the game should be made casual, why cant we try to attract the "pro gamers" instead. Adding depth to the game doesnt mean u need to make the basics hard to controll. Its just giving something back for the old users u know. Getting them to stick aswell...

What the game owners should do is invest money on coders as the forums for example are full of approved and innovative ideas that just need to get implented.
Unread 15 Jul 2010, 16:45   #77
Mzyxptlk
mz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartless View Post
Interestink.

Quote:
Also, Spinner, interesting approach to viral marketing there, but I remember times when such things got banned on these forums. ;-)
They are stll not allowed, it's just that PD isn't very actively moderated.
Unread 15 Jul 2010, 16:49   #78
Mek
InSomniac

Mek is a splendid one to beholdMek is a splendid one to beholdMek is a splendid one to beholdMek is a splendid one to beholdMek is a splendid one to beholdMek is a splendid one to beholdMek is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
the best part about that article:

"Speaking about what he did to achieve these fantastic results, Pete Zaborszky said “Most websites do not think about the customer. Many website owners tend to be lazy, and do not give their assets the attention they need. Just by working hard, and thinking about the customer, I was able to dramatically improve results."

considering we have had no posts in 2 rounds updating us or anything, i would say pete is falling into this category of 'lazy website owners' :P

Runner up in the InSomnia 'Drunkest HC' competition - Currently on the wagon

Elysium | HR | eXilition | OuZo | ND | InSomnia | DLR

db battlegroup founder and spiritual leader

Sexytime HC of Belgians (#s3xytime)

Not so retired anymore....
Mek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Jul 2010, 18:16   #79
Abort
Dumb Yankee

Abort has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Hey PA Team... maybe one of you need to let Pete know that the round is ending soon so he can finally makes some moves here... the guy probably thinks our rounds last for months...
Unread 15 Jul 2010, 19:22   #80
Spinner
Founder of Planetarion

Quote:

Also, Spinner, interesting approach to viral marketing there, but I remember times when such things got banned on these forums. ;-) When is there going to be a beta?
Aww, come on man, I didn't make a link, I didn't give out any address, and I certainly didn't try to promote anything. :-P

But you are right, it might be best not to mention the name in here again.
Any "alpha-version" is not likely this side of xmas, we've barely gotten started.
Unread 16 Jul 2010, 00:16   #81
Elevator
Crackhead

I do believe that might be my mistake. And regardless of what people might think; I do not have any connections to ML or Spinner...besides from playing the game.
Unread 16 Jul 2010, 14:49   #82
Spinner
Founder of Planetarion

Woohoo, Ive been censored There is a first time for everything

Sorry, Apoccomaster... Um, I guess my signature is a problem too then?
Unread 16 Jul 2010, 14:53   #83
HaNzI
Apprime Troll HC

HaNzI has a spectacular aura aboutHaNzI has a spectacular aura aboutHaNzI has a spectacular aura about

Yo spinner.

http://pastebin.com/YCJcTuiU

Will you treat us like this if we move the alliance to your game?
HaNzI is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Jul 2010, 15:34   #84
Heartless

Heartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaNzI View Post
Yo spinner.

I hope there'll never be need for any such treatment in Spinner's new game. That log just underlines how broken Planetarion is. :-)
Unread 16 Jul 2010, 18:37   #85
Kargool
Up The Hatters!

Kargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaNzI View Post
Yo spinner.

I think that log really does not say much in terms of what really happens. More looks like a log of you bitching about the eventualities about what would happen if they had landed of you. This round, have you lost salvage when people have landed on you?
Unread 16 Jul 2010, 18:46   #86
Mzyxptlk
mz.

It is actually not all that unreasonable. If the multihunters can't positively identify a salvage donation before it lands, then they have no business removing the resources gained afterwards.
Unread 17 Jul 2010, 01:20   #87
Spinner
Founder of Planetarion

Without commenting on this specific case, I have previously posted this
http://pirate.planetarion.com/showpo...3&postcount=30
where the point is that the rules which the MHs have to uphold might be a little old, rigid and not modernized much since PA was a very different game.
For instance, using IP as any kind of reason for suspecting foul play, is very 2000-ish. when I go online with my iPhone, or through my iPhone, I share IP with thousands of others. When gamers in Vietnam play a game, they look like 100 users from the same IP, as they are playing from the same game-cafe. These scenarios are more and more common.

That said, it's fine to disagree with a set of rules, but once playing, they should be followed. After all, rules are usually agreed to when joining a game.

The biggest problem is usually not the rules though, but how they are defined and how they are enforced. The optimal outcome in a violation-case, should not be to shut down the person who broke the rules, it should be to convert him into a rule-obiding, and hopefully, paying, customer.
Treat others with respect, and they will treat you with respect. (Unless you're dealing with a serious ***hole who only wants to cause trouble ofc)

Debating rules and enforcement in a game barely in production is somewhat premature. But so far, we're doing pretty well in this area in a certain football-manager game I am responsible for, and I see no reason to do worse in another game.
Unread 17 Jul 2010, 01:37   #88
Spinner
Founder of Planetarion

Also when it comes to rules, I have to say I was being censored here earlier, for mentioning the name of a game not even due this year, in a factual debate and a very non-advertising way. I did not try to sell anything, I did not make a link, and seriously, when the time comes, I am pretty sure most people in here will hear about it.
I mean, it's allowed to say "facebook" on Myspace.
Is this because the MySpace rules are slack?
I don't think so, in my humble opinion ofc. You can even make links back and forth. And everyone is happy about it, as it drives traffic both ways.

The forum-rules say it's not allowed to ADVERTISE ANYTHING.
I do not think mentioning a name of a product in development, in a relevant debate, is advertising at all.
Unread 17 Jul 2010, 02:05   #89
Light
You've Seen The Light
Speed Cards Champion

Quote:
Also when it comes to rules, I have to say I was being censored here earlier, for mentioning the name of a game not even due this year, in a factual debate and a very non-advertising way. I did not try to sell anything, I did not make a link, and seriously, when the time comes, I am pretty sure most people in here will hear about it.
I mean, it's allowed to say "facebook" on Myspace.
Is this because the MySpace rules are slack?
I don't think so, in my humble opinion ofc. You can even make links back and forth. And everyone is happy about it, as it drives traffic both ways.

The forum-rules say it's not allowed to ADVERTISE ANYTHING.
I do not think mentioning a name of a product in development, in a relevant debate, is advertising at all.
Lets face facts here, get your game out ASAP so the active community can move on.
Unread 19 Jul 2010, 10:46   #90
Mzyxptlk
mz.

The fact that zPeti does not appear to be interested in a game doesn't mean that it would be a good business decision to sell it. You guys are all looking for some kind of messiah, but you're forgetting that PA is a commercial product and consequently keep getting disappointed when it's treated as such.
Unread 19 Jul 2010, 11:13   #91
Kaiba
Valle is my hero

Kaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud of

None of this really matters - those who play this now will only play it until Spinners new game is up and running then they will all jump to that and PA will die
Kaiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Jul 2010, 11:16   #92
Cervantes
StarCraft II Pro Wannabe!

Cervantes is an unknown quantity at this point

May i ask what the new game is..?
Round 32 Violent Realm HC - join
#violent_Realm

Round 33-35 P3nguins - Join #p3nguins
Round 35-40 Conspiracy Theory - Join #Conspiracy
Round 41-44 Conspiracy Theory HC
Round 45 xVx Peon
Round 46 Fang Peon
Round 47-69 (Apprime,Conspiracy Theory, Innuendo)
Rounds 69-70 Not Played
Round 71 MAYBE

Upper Your Spirit!
Cervantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Jul 2010, 11:33   #93
Mzyxptlk
mz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cervantes View Post
My point being is when Spinner had it there was Hundreds of thousands of players and was rapidly going bankrupt
Fixed that for you. Looking back at PA's glory days and somehow pretending they can come back is a waste of time. zPeti can't bring them back and neither can Spinner. I'd be amazed if any PA-like game could attract more than 5000 players.
Unread 19 Jul 2010, 11:55   #94
Cervantes
StarCraft II Pro Wannabe!

Cervantes is an unknown quantity at this point

Things just move on with the times and the technology.
Not many people play text based games anymore, most the games i play now are real graphics
Round 32 Violent Realm HC - join
#violent_Realm

Round 33-35 P3nguins - Join #p3nguins
Round 35-40 Conspiracy Theory - Join #Conspiracy
Round 41-44 Conspiracy Theory HC
Round 45 xVx Peon
Round 46 Fang Peon
Round 47-69 (Apprime,Conspiracy Theory, Innuendo)
Rounds 69-70 Not Played
Round 71 MAYBE

Upper Your Spirit!
Cervantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Jul 2010, 15:39   #95
Dworschi
MööööH r0x0r0r

Dworschi is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Fixed that for you. Looking back at PA's glory days and somehow pretending they can come back is a waste of time. zPeti can't bring them back and neither can Spinner. I'd be amazed if any PA-like game could attract more than 5000 players.
you just have to drag it into 2010 and get rid of too much text

see travian f.ex. they're doing well and its alot of gfx you can click instead of
plain text links
Unread 20 Jul 2010, 18:32   #96
Heartless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dworschi View Post
you just have to drag it into 2010 and get rid of too much text

see travian f.ex. they're doing well and its alot of gfx you can click instead of
plain text links
But even Travian is only having an active player base of about 5k people on their .com site. Granted, that is still 10 times the amount PA has.
Unread 21 Jul 2010, 21:38   #97
Psi_K
Canadian to the Core

Psi_K is a jewel in the roughPsi_K is a jewel in the roughPsi_K is a jewel in the roughPsi_K is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
But even Travian is only having an active player base of about 5k people on their .com site. Granted, that is still 10 times the amount PA has.
Last time I played the .coms weren't that popular at the time.
The .us ones were still going decent
rest of the world zones were around that 4-5k range too
that's crazy money
r18-19 [eXi]
<Intermission>
r31-32 [CT] - r33-35 [DLR] - r36 [VsN] - r37 [???]
r45-46 [FAnG]
Psi_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Jul 2010, 10:26   #98
Spinner
Founder of Planetarion

Still no more response from "the man". Sad.
Unread 22 Jul 2010, 10:39   #99
zPeti

zPeti has a spectacular aura aboutzPeti has a spectacular aura aboutzPeti has a spectacular aura about

There is an announcement coming but it is not ready.
zPeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Jul 2010, 12:19   #100
Tietäjä
Good Son

Tietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better place

I'm happy to announce that the announced announcement will be announced before July 2017.
Tietäjä is offline   Reply With Quote