User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Strategic Discussions

Unread 28 Dec 2017, 19:29   #1
Jintao
The evil stats guy

Jintao is a glorious beacon of lightJintao is a glorious beacon of lightJintao is a glorious beacon of lightJintao is a glorious beacon of lightJintao is a glorious beacon of lightJintao is a glorious beacon of light
Xmas round feedback

This xmas round planetarion experimented with a few new things. I'm wondering how the people that played xmas experienced them and if they would want to see them implemented in a real round?

Changes:
All non pod ships eta 12
ETD like set
Reverse ETA basis (crbs fastest / fico slowest)

Judge the concept abstract please, don't use for example 1 bad experience or ship to judge the whole thing as bad.
Jintao is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Dec 2017, 19:54   #2
Cochese
Retired

Cochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Xmas round feedback

Didn't play much until havoc due to work, holidays, and generally not being able to keep up with tick speed.

Enjoyed havoc until a few days ago, crashed this morning intentionally to take a break through new years.

Played 'Xan', had fun the last week or so.

Utterly useless since r3
Cochese is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Dec 2017, 05:10   #3
Ave

Ave is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of light

The cluster setup made it hard to land. The clusters were very unbalanced.

The eta differences are supposed to help balance stats and specialize them, not make them static. Reversing them makes no difference to casual setup. The stats were poor as Carjay told you.

Mostly people are keen to the races unique styles. You could even more highlight them.

Otherwise just kill races and get us balanced stat set for all
Unread 29 Dec 2017, 06:29   #4
Blue_Esper

Blue_Esper is a glorious beacon of lightBlue_Esper is a glorious beacon of lightBlue_Esper is a glorious beacon of lightBlue_Esper is a glorious beacon of lightBlue_Esper is a glorious beacon of lightBlue_Esper is a glorious beacon of light

i wasn't a fan of the eta 12 ships bar pods, made fr/de/cr/bs suck more than usual I dont think reversing the ETAs makes a difference to how the game is played, just means a different ship is faster
i liked eta 3 ingal def. and i think perhaps maybe making it eta 5 to begin with then with tt2 makign it eta 4 and tt4 making eta 3 could be a fund addition
Unread 29 Dec 2017, 16:22   #5
Ave

Ave is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of light

I think it leaves the window to check scans and landing too small if u have a busy day.

Eta 4 for ingal could be discussed tho for some odd ships atleast.
Unread 29 Dec 2017, 17:11   #6
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_Esper View Post
eta 12 ships bar pods, made fr/de/cr/bs suck more than usual
How?

I'm not challenging your statement (not yet anyway :P), I just don't understand it.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Dec 2017, 17:11   #7
Kaiba
Valle is my hero

Kaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud of

Quote:
i wasn't a fan of the eta 12 ships bar pods, made fr/de/cr/bs suck more than usual I dont think reversing the ETAs makes a difference to how the game is played, just means a different ship is faster
i liked eta 3 ingal def. and i think perhaps maybe making it eta 5 to begin with then with tt2 makign it eta 4 and tt4 making eta 3 could be a fund addition
I think the swapping around of classes would mean something if anuthing substantial happened in the first 400 ticks of a round. It doesnt though, so everyone has everything as far as tt and hull tech goes by then. Making swapping anything to do with either irrekevant.

Make more effort to truly have differences in different play styles and bakance those rather than dicking around with numbers
Kaiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Dec 2017, 17:13   #8
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

400 ticks is a generous(ly low) estimate. Could anything be done to make the first half of the round feel more consequential, thus resulting in more action?
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Unread 29 Dec 2017, 21:56   #9
Ave

Yeah, make roids produce more
Unread 30 Dec 2017, 03:08   #10
Blue_Esper

Blue_Esper is a glorious beacon of lightBlue_Esper is a glorious beacon of lightBlue_Esper is a glorious beacon of lightBlue_Esper is a glorious beacon of lightBlue_Esper is a glorious beacon of lightBlue_Esper is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzyxptlk View Post
How?

I'm not challenging your statement (not yet anyway :P), I just don't understand it.
Sorry i meant eta 13/14 ships. Because all def ships had two ticks to three ticks to send def
Unread 30 Dec 2017, 08:06   #11
Mzyxptlk
mz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ave View Post
Yeah, make roids produce more
Adding or removing a zero at the end of all scores and values doesn't change anything, though.

Quote:
Sorry i meant eta 13/14 ships. Because all def ships had two ticks to three ticks to send def
That means we went from 1/0/0 ticks for Fi/Co (1 tick for defending with Fi/Co, while Fr/De/Cr/Bs can't make the ETA at all), 2/1/0 ticks for Fr/De and 0/2/1 ticks for Cr/Bs (Fi/Co doesn't fire at Cr/Bs) to 1/1/0 tick for Fi/Co, 2/2/2 ticks for Fr/De and 0/3/3 for Cr/Bs.

If we add up all those ETAs, we see that each metaclass had its ETA sum doubled: Fi/Co 1 -> 2, Fr/De 3 -> 6, Cr/Bs 3 -> 6. That said, this is a very theoretical way of looking at it, and it might well be possible that it totally doesn't match the practical reality of defense. Since I haven't played the Christmas round myself, I'll defer to your practical experience.

One way to improve that situation might be to lower the ETA of anti-Fi/Co defense ships even more, but that has the disadvantage that the maximum amount of time people can sleep at night is reduced. Increasing the ETA of some or all anti-Fr/De/Cr/Bs ships has the same effect, without the downside.
Unread 30 Dec 2017, 10:52   #12
Kaiba
Valle is my hero

Kaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud of

Quote:
400 ticks is a generous(ly low) estimate. Could anything be done to make the first half of the round feel more consequential, thus resulting in more action?
Yes loads if you fix things like covops/scanning/dusting etc and sort out 'never say never' function of xp
Unread 30 Dec 2017, 14:18   #13
Mzyxptlk
mz.

"Fix"?
Unread 30 Dec 2017, 15:48   #14
Kaiba
Valle is my hero

Quote:
"Fix"?
Covops doesnt work and there is a ridiculous disparity between genuine playstyles in terms of final contribution and contendership.

So yes fix.
Unread 30 Dec 2017, 17:59   #15
Mzyxptlk
mz.

Cov ops are shit, I agree, but making them good enough to see widespread use will piss a lot of people off.

Scanning is fine, in terms of how much it contributes. If you've ever been in an alliance that forgot to arrange for a couple of scanners at tick start, you know exactly how much.

Disting... Fair point.

I was hoping you'd elucidate on what you'd like to see fixed, and how, beyond a blanket "well, why don't you just make everything perfect?"
Unread 30 Dec 2017, 22:33   #16
Kaiba
Valle is my hero

Quote:
Cov ops are shit, I agree, but making them good enough to see widespread use will piss a lot of people off.

Scanning is fine, in terms of how much it contributes. If you've ever been in an alliance that forgot to arrange for a couple of scanners at tick start, you know exactly how much.

Disting... Fair point.

I was hoping you'd elucidate on what you'd like to see fixed, and how, beyond a blanket "well, why don't you just make everything perfect?"
Sorry im currently in a car on a 400 mile journey. Ill elaborate more in the morning
Unread 2 Jan 2018, 11:59   #17
Blue_Esper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiba View Post
Sorry im currently in a car on a 400 mile journey. Ill elaborate more in the morning
your car must be slow AF!