User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions

Unread 11 Sep 2003, 19:26   #1
Scoot951
Das Scoot

Scoot951 is an unknown quantity at this point
Stargate Skin

So, are they really able to use the Predator like that? I mean, if they can't use the names of Star Wars ships without getting sued I'd imagine that'd be off limits too...

I don't really know what I'm doing here
Scoot951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Sep 2003, 19:29   #2
Dave
Infallible

Dave is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Stargate Skin

Quote:
Originally posted by Scoot951
So, are they really able to use the Predator like that? I mean, if they can't use the names of Star Wars ships without getting sued I'd imagine that'd be off limits too...
Almost certainly not.
Unread 11 Sep 2003, 19:53   #3
hAl
ensign forever

hAl is infamous around these partshAl is infamous around these partshAl is infamous around these partshAl is infamous around these partshAl is infamous around these partshAl is infamous around these parts
They removed the Terminator 3 on an early betatest skin.
Unread 12 Sep 2003, 03:09   #4
xtothez
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

xtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud of
It's nice they can rip other peoples images but cant use their own perfectly good ones [/yet_another_post_wanting_r5_skin]
Unread 12 Sep 2003, 05:10   #5
King
Here and Not Here

King can only hope to improve
If you want a skin make it yourself
King is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Sep 2003, 07:44   #6
Merlin
Wizard

Merlin is on a distinguished road
How hard can it be to give us some of the old skins for a choice inside the game. They have a number of skins there now.
Unread 12 Sep 2003, 10:22   #7
dabult
Ark-miner wannabe

dabult will become famous soon enoughdabult will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally posted by merlin1955
How hard can it be to give us some of the old skins for a choice inside the game. They have a number of skins there now.

A guess is that the old skins arent compatible with the new game, or they would have been in long time ago
Unread 12 Sep 2003, 19:54   #8
mbushell

mbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
whoever came up with this template was a complete ****ing retard, sorry but it's pretty awful... if those new ones were the ones that won the skin competition i'm shocked, i've seen some stuff various mates have done and they kicked **** out of these **** new ones.
mbushell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Sep 2003, 01:40   #9
Empress
Inactive as they come

Empress is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by xtothez
It's nice they can rip other peoples images but cant use their own perfectly good ones [/yet_another_post_wanting_r5_skin]
heh, that annoyed me too. I spent 3 weeks making my skin and not one damn thing on it was "ripped" from anywhere else then i see other skins with t3 chick, preditor and the likes. As a gfx person that just pisses me right off

Make it a rule of life never to regret and never to look back. Regret is an appalling waste of energy; you can't build on it; it's only good for wallowing in.
--Katherine Mansfield
Empress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Sep 2003, 02:39   #10
Scoot951
Das Scoot

I still think they should've just let us keep the skins on our hard drives, then we could've used whatever we wanted.

Unread 13 Sep 2003, 03:04   #11
dabult
Ark-miner wannabe

dabult will become famous soon enoughdabult will become famous soon enough
Arcade > *

And you know it Andy
Unread 13 Sep 2003, 09:42   #12
Andy_r
X$X

Andy_r is an unknown quantity at this point
R3 172:21:12 | R 4 136:8:5 | R5 30:25:12 | R6 11:5:1 | R7 40:25:17 | R8 30:1:5 | R9.5 36:10:14 | R10 1:5:9 Boldness of Helvetica

Proud to have been [YHQ] until the end of YHQ [VtS] until the end of Legion [Titans] until the end of Titans and |R6B| for Speedgames
Andy_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Sep 2003, 10:12   #13
Makhil

Makhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally posted by mbushell
whoever came up with this template was a complete ****ing retard, sorry but it's pretty awful... if those new ones were the ones that won the skin competition i'm shocked, i've seen some stuff various mates have done and they kicked **** out of these **** new ones.
I came up with this template, and i'm not retarded. I'm working everyday with my legal department on such issues.
First, the pic was not taken and used straight on, but was reworked on with ps filters, cropping etc...
Second, it is not for sale, it is a tribute to a movie character I like (that's how I see Xans btw). Think of Winamp skins, how they use famous people pics, brands, movies... you can find those for download all over the internet.
I would have prefered the skin to be named 'Predator' rather than 'Stargate' just to make the point clear.
Anyway it was used for Beta, if people complain about this skin they won't use it for the real game, no big deal.
I enjoyed spending some time trying to do something for my favourite game, I don't expect everyone to like it, and I'm open to critics (at least i've tried to do something).
I was surprised not to see more skins coming from players, is it my fault ?
It wasn't my attention to show any lack of respect for the Predator creators (on the contrary).

BTW, i've made another 'awful' skin that was not taken, but i like it too
http://sabaideal.com/pa/skin_test3/sample.html

Unread 13 Sep 2003, 11:33   #14
mbushell

mbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Quote:
Originally posted by Makhil
no mate, i'm not talking about your stargate skin, just the template in general - it's god damn awful, you're skin is ok but i've seen better that haven't been used
Unread 13 Sep 2003, 16:43   #15
DarkAngel
Nothing Is Forever.

DarkAngel is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Scoot951
I still think they should've just let us keep the skins on our hard drives, then we could've used whatever we wanted.
agreed, you shouod be able 2 use your own style.
Unread 13 Sep 2003, 16:45   #16
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by mbushell
no mate, i'm not talking about your stargate skin, just the template in general - it's god damn awful, you're skin is ok but i've seen better that haven't been used
The template is crap, because there aren't better skins?

Unread 13 Sep 2003, 19:49   #17
Scoot951
Das Scoot

Quote:
Originally posted by Makhil
I came up with this template, and i'm not retarded. I'm working everyday with my legal department on such issues.
First, the pic was not taken and used straight on, but was reworked on with ps filters, cropping etc...
Second, it is not for sale, it is a tribute to a movie character I like (that's how I see Xans btw). Think of Winamp skins, how they use famous people pics, brands, movies... you can find those for download all over the internet.
I would have prefered the skin to be named 'Predator' rather than 'Stargate' just to make the point clear.
Anyway it was used for Beta, if people complain about this skin they won't use it for the real game, no big deal.
I enjoyed spending some time trying to do something for my favourite game, I don't expect everyone to like it, and I'm open to critics (at least i've tried to do something).
I was surprised not to see more skins coming from players, is it my fault ?
It wasn't my attention to show any lack of respect for the Predator creators (on the contrary).

BTW, i've made another 'awful' skin that was not taken, but i like it too
http://sabaideal.com/pa/skin_test3/sample.html

1. It's still obviously a pic of the Predator, so I don't see what putting it thru PS has to do with it.

2. If the images were stored on our harddives, like winamp skins are, I'm sure it would be legal. But the way it is with PA storing them all, it implies that the game is an officially licensed Predator-universe game (which we know it isn't, but what if some guy walked by and saw someone playing with that skin?)

Not that I wouldn't mind them being able to use the Predator. I just don't want PA to get sued into bankruptcy is all.

Unread 14 Sep 2003, 10:43   #18
mbushell

Quote:
Originally posted by Leshy
The template is crap, because there aren't better skins?
no, for example, the menu is inconsistant with height (12, 13, 14 at random), the whole layout is generally bulky and requires the use of jpgs all around.
Unread 14 Sep 2003, 11:23   #19
Makhil

Makhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to behold
i didn't know there was different heights in the menu pics , i made them all the same in my skins and it seems to work.
I agree it would be good if Gif was supported by the template, it could lead to better quality pics and lighter weight.
Unread 14 Sep 2003, 11:59   #20
Andy_r
X$X

Andy_r is an unknown quantity at this point
I standardised the sizes of menu items on the Arcade skin, and it works fine. It seems you can fiddle with all the sizes if you know what you are doing. I agree that gifs would be good though.
R3 172:21:12 | R 4 136:8:5 | R5 30:25:12 | R6 11:5:1 | R7 40:25:17 | R8 30:1:5 | R9.5 36:10:14 | R10 1:5:9 Boldness of Helvetica

Proud to have been [YHQ] until the end of YHQ [VtS] until the end of Legion [Titans] until the end of Titans and |R6B| for Speedgames
Andy_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Sep 2003, 12:34   #21
Yama
Rockin' a beat.

Yama has a spectacular aura aboutYama has a spectacular aura about
Smile

I'm still waiting for the one that looks like a Excel sheet

Would be perfect for work.

*bye now!*

Yama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Sep 2003, 18:27   #22
Scoot951
Das Scoot

Quote:
Originally posted by YaZZam
I'm still waiting for the one that looks like a Excel sheet

Would be perfect for work.

Haha. Finally show PA for what it really is.