User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 8 Sep 2003, 18:39   #1
Metanio

part of a large alliance in another game

We play earth2025 and the admin there is a moron. There is rampant cheating in the game and no support.

This game was suggested by some of the people in our alliance. How is this game kept up? Is the playing level kept fair?

Thanks
Unread 8 Sep 2003, 18:52   #2
Provider
Smurf Forever

Provider is an unknown quantity at this point
I've played several online strategy games and have to admit to like Pa the most. Okay people sometimes complain about the creators (admins) but in the end they do a good job. A very good job when I compare them with the admins of some other online games.

Player levels.. not what it was anymore but it's still very okay imo.

-=Caliban [ND HC]=-

rnd 3: If I only could remember - GIA HC/TGS
rnd 4: [30:14:3] (smurfs) - Fury/TGS HC || rnd 5: [21:4:16] (gauls) - TGS HC / WPO
rnd 6: [1:2:4] (LotR) - WP HC || rnd 7: [22:8:9] - WP HC
rnd 8: [55:8:9] - WP HC || rnd 9: [11:10:8] - WP HC || rnd 9,5: [x:y:z] -
WP HC rnd 10,11,12 etc cant be assed anymore to write it down here.
rnd 35, 36. 37: ND

Proud to be a Wolf in [WolfPack]
Provider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Sep 2003, 19:48   #3
DukePaul
Retired VGN

DukePaul is just really niceDukePaul is just really niceDukePaul is just really niceDukePaul is just really nice
earth: 2025? I played it abit, altho I played Utopia far more. If earth is any like utopia was, then ur alliance will be in big problems if u try and set up yourself alone here.

From what I recall of Utopian alliances (and what little glimpse I got of earth) they are with a confusing and too big chain of command and little political play between the alliances. If u try to set up here, u will be in problems I believe, as u have no contacts in other alliances (I take it u dont play planetarion, perhaps some of your members have contacts, but as long as they are members, not command, that wont help very much, now will it? ). Contacts take time to establish, with knowing the leaders, proving yourself usefull etc. Also, dont forget u have to pay to play PaX (well, play more than 2 weeks, anyway), so dont know how good ur alliance will go there

As for the game, I dont really like it that much, altho I guess I used to once. It's certainly more interesting than utopia used to be, as it has more of a community, imo coz of the extensive use of IRC. The game is small, last pay-round was 4k(?) players, and when as many as 4-5 alliances ally each other to cooperate take down the rest... go figure ;-)

Cheaters are delt with quickly (atleast I like to think of it so), as admins claim they have lots of tools to find them. When u play, u will notice top ranked players will disappear from time to time, so cheating isnt unheard of, as such, altho top players are watched more careful than the bottom scrap (no offence to any1, I'm bottom scrap myself :P). Last round was especially bad, as the round was free.

The new round is *new*, everything recoded from scratch, so who can say for sure? Spinner wants it to be more friendly towards smaller planets, so biggies dont go bash them every once in a while. score ranking for the coming round will award the active players more, as u gain score from killing ships, capturing roids (I guess u know the online of the game) and destorying structures (works more or less this way, there's more ofc, but noone know the exact details... except possibly spinner)

Other than that? good luck, and enjoy the game :-)
DukePaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Sep 2003, 20:01   #4
cypher
U've been Moderated

cypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant future
you can try it. tbh i don't think you have any chance to win anything tho:P

should be a nice challenge tho
cypher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Sep 2003, 20:06   #5
Scoot951
Das Scoot

Scoot951 is an unknown quantity at this point
This is not a game someone who logs in an hour a day can be successful at.

We be hardcore.

I don't really know what I'm doing here
Scoot951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Sep 2003, 20:39   #6
Legator
Pr0nstar

Legator is a splendid one to beholdLegator is a splendid one to beholdLegator is a splendid one to beholdLegator is a splendid one to beholdLegator is a splendid one to beholdLegator is a splendid one to beholdLegator is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally posted by Scoot951
This is not a game someone who logs in an hour a day can be successful at.

We be hardcore.

lol.......

@all

nice way to get new ppl in
Honoured to have been [1up] Member

VfL Bochum >*
Legator is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Sep 2003, 20:41   #7
ParraCida
Condemned to RP

ParraCida is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: part of a large alliance in another game

Quote:
Originally posted by Metanio
We play earth2025 and the admin there is a moron. There is rampant cheating in the game and no support.

This game was suggested by some of the people in our alliance. How is this game kept up? Is the playing level kept fair?

Thanks
Hi, I'm one of the people that (try) to make sure nobody cheats. I can tell you now that cheating is something that is a part of planetarion as it is in any other game. All I can say is that we have a dedicated team of admins checking report and rankings every day for cheaters and we catch our fair share of them

So go ahead and have a look if you like the game during the 2 week free trial.
ParraCida is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Sep 2003, 22:06   #8
TehVader
NewDawn pe0n

TehVader is an unknown quantity at this point
This would probably be a very good time to start though. Not only have the game mechanics been recoded from scratch, so most people will have to relearn the useful tactics and strategy (if there are any). Secondly you can try the 2 week free trial to see if you like it and if you are you can easily transfer over to the paid universe.
Unread 8 Sep 2003, 22:58   #9
xtothez
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

xtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud of
Catching cheaters has greatly improved in the last full round, although that may be more to do with the lack of players to search through... :/
Unread 8 Sep 2003, 23:20   #10
Scorpio
Inflate My Ego

Scorpio is a splendid one to beholdScorpio is a splendid one to beholdScorpio is a splendid one to beholdScorpio is a splendid one to beholdScorpio is a splendid one to beholdScorpio is a splendid one to beholdScorpio is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally posted by xtothez
Catching cheaters has greatly improved in the last full round, although that may be more to do with the lack of players to search through... :/
ratio of hunter : player went from ~0.00005 to ~0.002.
That's an increase of 3900% I believe?

Who keeps an arrow in his bow,
And if you prod him, lets it go?

A fervent friend, a subtle foe –
— Scorpio
Scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Sep 2003, 23:31   #11
Wishmaster
LDK

Wishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
u should have joined b4..when pa was pa..maybe u will like pax though..we do need fresh blood..and an entire alliance would be 1337!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Newt
I would give me right testicle to be in a gal with you wishmaster!!! wonder if thatd be enough to bribe spinner with hmmmm
<JC`> i sent him a msg saying Wishmaster 0wns, so he recalled
Wishmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Sep 2003, 00:07   #12
Jonas
Most unimportant guy...

Jonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond repute
there were once 180k planets, so you should join as we might be headin that way again

but its worth a shot anyway

Retired
Jonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Sep 2003, 12:12   #13
Legator
Pr0nstar

Legator is a splendid one to beholdLegator is a splendid one to beholdLegator is a splendid one to beholdLegator is a splendid one to beholdLegator is a splendid one to beholdLegator is a splendid one to beholdLegator is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally posted by Jonas
there were once 180k planets, so you should join as we might be headin that way again

yea and the world is flat
Honoured to have been [1up] Member

VfL Bochum >*
Legator is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Sep 2003, 12:27   #14
Hurragutten

Hurragutten is an unknown quantity at this point
How big is your alliance?
Unread 9 Sep 2003, 12:40   #15
Bloodaxe
Baby producer

Bloodaxe is an unknown quantity at this point
I played Earth2025 a few years back, some friends and myself decided to "go for it" a round and did very well early on. Now a bit into the round we bumped into a "bot alliance" and the admin did nothing at all, even though it ruined our round pretty much. We even provided evidence for him but he did not care at all. So we left Earth2025 all of us, so I can understand what you mean about the admin there not caring, as far as I know its still the same mister Mehul Patel in charge??

anyway PA is a far better choice.
Bloodaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Sep 2003, 18:37   #16
Parthos
lippy bint

Parthos is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: part of a large alliance in another game

Quote:
Originally posted by Metanio

I never played Earth2025 but played Utopia for several ages, as monarch of a top 5 nw/land/honor kd (depending on the age) so I'm familiar with Mr. Patel . Perhaps he puts more effort into Utopia as I found he tried hard to balance the game and keep it interesting, and while cheating was probably more rampant even than in PA, cheating accusations were looked into more quickly and dealt with more severely. I often wished that Planetarion's admins would care as much about stopping cheating as Mehul did/attempted in Utopia.

If you're looking to move to a game with less cheating, you're looking in the wrong place . Get used to people having second planets, asking you to babysit their planet while they sleep, people inviting you to visit their farm, etc. It's true that PA is making much more of an effort now to stop cheating, but fact is, they still don't do 1/10th of what Mehul does. As a crude example, in Utopia, if your account is registered as a North American account, and there are logins from Europe, you can expect that account to be promptly deleted. In Planetarion, you can have logins from USA in the morning, Germany in the afternoon, and Australia in the evening and no one notices or cares. Which means that in PAX, even with having more multihunters etc now, there will still be rampant cheating in spite of simple methods of reducing it like mentioned above.

On the other hand...it's like a big happy dysfunctional family here. There are loads of problems, but the community remains active and interesting. I mean, I bitch about the cheating all the time but hey, I'm still here. It would be worth checking out the free trial period, particularly if you plan on bringing an alliance over to PA. Alliance politics here are deep, machiavellian, and loads of fun. As you'd completely flounder coming in from scratch, I'd suggest you open talks with an existing alliance to establish some kind of wing relationship, where your alliance can learn and work alongside a PA alliance.
12:17 AM: Cochese: if PA team was a liquor, they'd be that plastic-half gallon for $8 stuff
Parthos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Sep 2003, 05:43   #17
Auro
I AM OSCAR WILDE

Auro is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Scoot951

We be hardcore.
i told u i was hardcore

Try it. Moving your alliance over with little experience will probably make most of you "our bitches", to quote John Romero, but hey, it's worth a shot, right?
Unread 12 Sep 2003, 19:44   #18
Shaithess

Shaithess is an unknown quantity at this point
Well, I've not been any alliances for past rounds and have still had some great fun! OK, my rank in the beta only got up to 320 (out of 500... ) but I still enjoyed myself. Though now I've been accepted into an alliance I hope to enjoy myself even more!
Shaithess is offline   Reply With Quote