User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 4 Sep 2003, 23:33   #1
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Im buying a new computer and it has to be cheap. Help please.

Budget : _**** all_

Purpose : To tide me through Uni.

I dont want it to "last me a few years at the top range" or any pish like that. i just want it to be fairly decent. and to work.

Working in Maplin i get various staff discount rates on items. I know its an expensive shop, but ill show you the system i built today.

CDRW 48x £30.67
Keyboard £3.74
Geforce 2 64MB £31.65
128MB DDR Ram £19.69
Speakers* £2.35
32bit Souncard £6.84
Case+300W ATX PSU £26.24
PCI Network Card £7.09
Mini Optical glow mouse £7.49
20GB 5400 IDE HD £45.75
15" CRT Monitor £73.79
Mouse Mat £0.97
Black/Aluminium Case Fan £7.49
Floppy Cable £2.99
CPU Cooler £14.99
Athlon XP2400+ CPU £62.41
Asrock Skt A Motherboard £52.49

(* - Really, really really ****, but cheap - where i am, i wont be able to play music loud, or even ambient, so this doesnt really matter - and at that price, i can upgrade later.)

TOTAL : £396.44

Ok, well its a fairly decent spec'd computer for the price. The main things (obviously) id like anyone to help me with if they could, are the Monitor and Hard Drive, which are way way way too expensive. Other items too - if you can find significantly cheaper (ie if its worth the wait, and the P&P), tell me too. Im also not adverse to losing some of the processor specs if its a lot cheaper for something slightly slower.

Thanks in advance,
Deffeh

Believe in me, cause i don't believe in anything
And i wanna be someone, to believe, to believe in
Deffeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Sep 2003, 23:38   #2
acropolis
Vermin Supreme

acropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better place
as everyone is switching to flat screen monitors when they buy their new computers, just about everyone you know should have an extra 17'' sitting around they don't want:/

and that seems a lot for 20GB. but i don't really know about that.
acropolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Sep 2003, 23:41   #3
Ragnarak

Ragnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to behold
yeah they're raping u on the hdd mate
Are the best i've ever had
Ragnarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Sep 2003, 23:45   #4
Ragnarak

Ragnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to behold
http://www.pcindex.co.uk/results_Pro...x&id=967631596

hard drives
Unread 4 Sep 2003, 23:46   #5
acropolis
Vermin Supreme

acropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better place
hey why the **** are you spending .97 on a mouse pad if yer getting an optical mouse?
acropolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Sep 2003, 23:46   #6
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by Ragnarak
yeah they're raping u on the hdd mate
I know, i made the spec list myself during the day when it was slow, and from 6-8 when it was dead. I sold some dude an £110 scanner, gloated about my £22.70 average sale (<3) then made the best of the quiet.

Still, i dont _have_ to get it all from Maplins, its just that i dont have a lot of time otherwise. Know anywhere id get a bit cheaper?

Also, evaluating the list - i havent missed anything, have i? Its all likely to be compatible? (the case with the board for example).

And besides the HD, Monitor, and maybe the processor/board, the prices are fairly reasonable arent they?

Unread 4 Sep 2003, 23:53   #7
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
XP 2600+ 64.95
Microsoft Explorer Optical Mouse £18.95
Cherry Keyboard £12.90
Netgear Ethernet Card £9
512Mb 2700 £57.50
Geforce 5200 43.90
Abit KD7-S KT400 47.5
Western Digital Caviar 80GB Special Edition 8MB Cache 59.9
LiteON LTN-525(S) 52x CD-ROM 11.20

(all excluding vat unfortunately)

Throw in a case (300W might not cut it, especially if you want to upgrade) and a monitor and you're done.

(I made this for you the other night)
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Sep 2003, 23:55   #8
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Quote:
Originally posted by acropolis
hey why the **** are you spending .97 on a mouse pad if yer getting an optical mouse?
Force of habit / comfort

Quote:
http://www.pcindex.co.uk/results_Pro...x&id=967631596

hard drives
<3

How much do you know about them? Is there anything wrong with some of the cheaper ones?

http://www.pcindex.co.uk/showtop.asp...2&id=967631596

for example, is the one im most interested in

Unread 4 Sep 2003, 23:57   #9
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Quote:
Originally posted by MrL_JaKiri
XP 2600+ 64.95
Microsoft Explorer Optical Mouse £18.95
Cherry Keyboard £12.90
Netgear Ethernet Card £9
512Mb 2700 £57.50
Geforce 5200 43.90
Abit KD7-S KT400 47.5
Western Digital Caviar 80GB Special Edition 8MB Cache 59.9
LiteON LTN-525(S) 52x CD-ROM 11.20

(all excluding vat unfortunately)

Throw in a case (300W might not cut it, especially if you want to upgrade) and a monitor and you're done.

(I made this for you the other night)
Your help is appreciated, but im not sure youve grasped the "im poor, and Maplin just paid me and it was about half what i was expecting" part of my problem

Unread 5 Sep 2003, 00:01   #10
Ragnarak

Quote:
Originally posted by Deffeh
Force of habit / comfort

<3

How much do you know about them? Is there anything wrong with some of the cheaper ones?

http://www.pcindex.co.uk/showtop.asp...2&id=967631596

for example, is the one im most interested in
not sure, you might be better of checking some online reviews, 5400 is a bit slow compared to 7200 but i doubt you'll notice the difference anyway

don't take my word for anything tho, heh
Unread 5 Sep 2003, 00:11   #12
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Your help is appreciated, but im not sure youve grasped the "im poor, and Maplin just paid me and it was about half what i was expecting" part of my problem
As I said, that was the one I made the other night.

It's CHEAP PC TIME.
Unread 5 Sep 2003, 00:21   #13
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Quote:
As I said, that was the one I made the other night.

It's CHEAP PC TIME.
Knock yourself out

I think so far, Deathjam's site is the best ive seen (phwoar).

Unread 5 Sep 2003, 00:23   #14
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Well, get the case from your first list.

Akasa AK824cu Copper Base CPU Cooler (Socket A) (HS-008-AK) £9.95
LiteON LTN-525(S) 52x CD-ROM £11.20
AMD Duron 1.3GHz (Socket A) £24.50
Asus A7V8X-MX (Socket A) Micro ATX Motherboard £42.90
Maxtor DiamondMax Plus8 40GB £39.75
MSI GeForce 4 MX440-T8X 64MB £32.90
Adata 256MB DDR PC2700 £29.95
Belkin Cat5e Network Patch Cable 5m £2.50

Knock yourself out with the KB and Mouse.

edit:

As to the processor, an athlon xp 1800+ is a whole £10 + vat more expensive than the Duron 1.3.
Unread 5 Sep 2003, 00:53   #15
Gargle
drunk as usual.

Gargle is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Im buying a new computer and it has to be cheap. Help please.

Quote:
CDRW 48x £30.67
Geforce 2 64MB £31.65
128MB DDR Ram £19.69
20GB 5400 IDE HD £45.75
CPU Cooler £14.99

cant be arsed to read all the replies but to my eye these hurt..

EXPENSIVE? jesus.. i can get these with "half" of that price..

altho i have friends who sell me these things..
Unread 5 Sep 2003, 03:28   #16
Scoot951
Das Scoot

Scoot951 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Im buying a new computer and it has to be cheap. Help please.

Quote:
Budget : _**** all_

Purpose : To tide me through Uni.

I dont want it to "last me a few years at the top range" or any pish like that. i just want it to be fairly decent. and to work.

Working in Maplin i get various staff discount rates on items. I know its an expensive shop, but ill show you the system i built today.

CDRW 48x £30.67
Keyboard £3.74
Geforce 2 64MB £31.65
128MB DDR Ram £19.69
Speakers* £2.35
32bit Souncard £6.84
Case+300W ATX PSU £26.24
PCI Network Card £7.09
Mini Optical glow mouse £7.49
20GB 5400 IDE HD £45.75
15" CRT Monitor £73.79
Mouse Mat £0.97
Black/Aluminium Case Fan £7.49
Floppy Cable £2.99
CPU Cooler £14.99
Athlon XP2400+ CPU £62.41
Asrock Skt A Motherboard £52.49

(* - Really, really really ****, but cheap - where i am, i wont be able to play music loud, or even ambient, so this doesnt really matter - and at that price, i can upgrade later.)

TOTAL : £396.44

Ok, well its a fairly decent spec'd computer for the price. The main things (obviously) id like anyone to help me with if they could, are the Monitor and Hard Drive, which are way way way too expensive. Other items too - if you can find significantly cheaper (ie if its worth the wait, and the P&P), tell me too. Im also not adverse to losing some of the processor specs if its a lot cheaper for something slightly slower.

Thanks in advance,
Deffeh

That's like ~$600, right? Jeez, my parents bought a new computer last Friday for $390 (EMachines from Best Buy), and while I cba trying to remember all the stats, I'd say except for the vid card it was >= all that. And it came with a printer too.

Hope you can find something a bit cheaper.

I don't really know what I'm doing here
Scoot951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Sep 2003, 14:53   #17
Ryudo

Ryudo is an unknown quantity at this point
There is no such thing as a cheap PC in England OR Europe OR the USA, We get so ripped off it is unbelivable, I just bought a laptop in Singapore for s$2360, thats about 847 GBP

HP Compaq nx9000
2.4GHz Pentium4 mobile
14.1 tft
40GB HDD
256MB DDR
Free mouse
free Cisco wireless card
free MS office
free case

In england this would cost about 2300 GBP, I plann on getting a really hyped up machine just before i come back so i can play games al the time in lecture at UNI
Unread 5 Sep 2003, 15:00   #18
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

For £2300 you'd get more like a p4 3.2, DVD writer, 120Gb HDD, 1024Mb of ram.

You could get that one for about £900, 1000 here too.
Unread 5 Sep 2003, 15:08   #19
Ragnarak

Quote:
For £2300 you'd get more like a p4 3.2, DVD writer, 120Gb HDD, 1024Mb of ram.

You could get that one for about £900, 1000 here too.
er

might be me being dumb but

'14.1" tft'

'mobile'

'nx9000'

all suggest it's a laptop
Unread 5 Sep 2003, 15:14   #20
JammyJim
Godfather

JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
AMD Athlon XP 2400+ (2.00 GHz) "Thoroughbred" Core
+ Coolermaster Aero 7 Lite (CP5-8J71F) Socket A Aluminum Cooler £58.50 £68.74

Scan 6057KIT Black/Silver Midi Tower 300W+Keyboard+Mouse+Speakers £34.00 £39.95

Scans 'Today only'

id build it all from that page tbh. they knock quite a bit off...

http://www.scan.co.uk/todayonly/
It's not personal, it's just business.
JammyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Sep 2003, 16:03   #21
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
er

might be me being dumb but

'14.1" tft'

'mobile'

'nx9000'

all suggest it's a laptop
I KNOW YOU IDIOT (and the first clue I got to it being a laptop was when, in the first line, he said he bought a laptop)

Last edited by MrL_JaKiri; 5 Sep 2003 at 16:13.