User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 25 Jul 2003, 22:18   #1
Jonas
Most unimportant guy...

Jonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond repute
Getting used to the idea of Alliances ingame

I cant get myself to like the part where someone can be in one alliance only. Will destroy alot of the spying, which is part(a good part) of the game imho. There should be an option to join an alliance as spy or something, which only planetowner could set etc...

Not sure how it could be done, but I sure like the spying

-Jonas-

Retired
Jonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Jul 2003, 22:39   #2
Banned
Banned

Banned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so little
Some methods of spying will still be viable, but imo the kind of spying that will be eliminated will hopefully be the 'nasty' kind that force alliances to play very paranoid.

The risk of having memberlevel spies has forced a lot of the higher tier alliances to keep their members in the dark, and in many cases this is an uncomfortable situation to be in, because you definitely need the members' trust to run an efficient alliance.
Banned is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Jul 2003, 22:42   #3
kyrealean
Crimson Dragon

kyrealean is an unknown quantity at this point
heh some people take this game way 2 seriously..... ddosing of alliance servers etc.

hardcoding alliances into the game hopefully will deter some of this bull from going on.

we will see how things unfold ofc. and im sure people will adapt to the situation and learn other ways to spy etc.
Rd 4 267.2.10 D'tartagnan of DesertWinds_Fortress (Fury)
Rd 5 25.16.13 Xavier of Sanctified_Realm (Fury)
Rd 6 1.16 gave planet away (Fury)
Rd 7 23.23.13 Mikey of Goondocks (RaH)
Rd 8 C2 quit (RaH)
Rd 9 24.6.1 Prof_Xavier of School_for_Gifted_Youngsters (Eclipse)
Rd 9.5 9.8.3 Starbuck of Galactica (RaH)
kyrealean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Jul 2003, 22:57   #4
Tietäjä
Good Son

Tietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better place
Quote:
Originally posted by kyrealean
heh some people take this game way 2 seriously..... ddosing of alliance servers etc.

You noticed too?

Someone should, some day, try figure out why PA makes such a passionate game.
"Oh, wretched race of a day, children of chance and misery, why do ye compel me to say to you what it were most expedient for you not to hear? What is best of all is for ever beyond your reach: not to be born, not to be, to be nothing. The second best for you, however, is soon to die". Silenus, tutor to Dionysos, speaking to King Midas.
Tietäjä is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Jul 2003, 23:37   #5
Scoot951
Das Scoot

Scoot951 is an unknown quantity at this point
Because people are idiots?

I don't really know what I'm doing here
Scoot951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Jul 2003, 07:01   #6
Monkehpimp
'Useless'

Monkehpimp is an unknown quantity at this point
I've always wondered why people go to such great lengths to cheat at this game.
Unread 26 Jul 2003, 07:05   #7
Kileman
Commander

Kileman is a splendid one to beholdKileman is a splendid one to beholdKileman is a splendid one to beholdKileman is a splendid one to beholdKileman is a splendid one to beholdKileman is a splendid one to behold
Uhm... I dunno if you know (because its such a big secret) but the people that are 'good' spies run completely seperate identities with completly different planets for each alliance.

The game changes will not alter this.
________
VF and VFR

Last edited by Kileman; 24 Feb 2011 at 22:05.
Kileman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Jul 2003, 11:16   #8
Dari
Just Gosu

Dari is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Kileman
Uhm... I dunno if you know (because its such a big secret) but the people that are 'good' spies run completely seperate identities with completly different planets for each alliance.

those 'good' spies are multis
R4: 134:15:8 Cell
R5: Not really played
R6: 16:10:9 Deus
R7: 14:24:1 Wrath peon
R8: 16:9:10 FAnG and member of gôsu
R9 46:9:7 FAnG BC
R9.5 7:8:6 FAnG Tech Officer and gôsu
Dari is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Jul 2003, 11:25   #9
hyfe
Dum Di Dum Di

hyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet society
mkay..

So the 'good' spies are 'bad', and the 'bad' spies doesn't do any 'good'?
Unread 26 Jul 2003, 12:25   #10
Kileman
Commander

Kileman is a splendid one to beholdKileman is a splendid one to beholdKileman is a splendid one to beholdKileman is a splendid one to beholdKileman is a splendid one to beholdKileman is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally posted by Dari
those 'good' spies are multis
Yes they are.

And its one of the most challenging and hardest 'roles' in Planetarion. I would rate being a good spy, higher than that of being a good planet manager.

(on a side note, Merlin is one of the best pa players *ever* and has never had much recognition for his work)
________
VAPORIZER SHOP

Unread 26 Jul 2003, 12:26   #11
Kileman
Commander

Quote:
Originally posted by hyfe
mkay..

So the 'good' spies are 'bad', and the 'bad' spies doesn't do any 'good'?
The good spies are HC of your alliance while working for someone else
________
FORD FALCON GTHO PHASE III HISTORY

Unread 26 Jul 2003, 13:47   #12
hyfe
Dum Di Dum Di

hyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet society
Quote:
The good spies are HC of your alliance while working for someone else
Nah.. all the HC's I know are nice guys
Unread 26 Jul 2003, 14:26   #13
Kileman
Commander

Quote:
Originally posted by hyfe
Nah.. all the HC's I know are nice guys
And a spy couldnt 'pretend' to be a nice guy? :>
________
MAZDA LAPUTA

Unread 26 Jul 2003, 14:33   #14
hyfe
Dum Di Dum Di

Quote:
And a spy couldnt 'pretend' to be a nice guy? :>
obviously not, since all spies are inheretly evil.

reality is only as complex as you allow it to be

[edit]Now make a wild guess while i do seem to get stuck with BC positions way to often, but for some reason never advance further)[/edit]
Unread 26 Jul 2003, 15:09   #15
Jonas
Most unimportant guy...

Jonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond repute
hehe

I couldnt spy, simply because I can't spy on friends, and I would unfortunaltey make friends in the alliance I would try to spy on :P

Anyway, I werent talking about chetaers, cause having 2 planets or more simply do solve the problem with the one alkliance per planet, I was thinking about the non cheating players that actually spy to

-Jonas

Retired
Unread 26 Jul 2003, 22:40   #16
The Seal
*idle*

The Seal is on a distinguished road
Re: hehe

Quote:
Originally posted by Jonas
I couldnt spy, simply because I can't spy on friends, and I would unfortunaltey make friends in the alliance I would try to spy on :P
Nice to hear
Unread 26 Jul 2003, 23:37   #17
OlaTa
Friends and Foes

OlaTa is a splendid one to beholdOlaTa is a splendid one to beholdOlaTa is a splendid one to beholdOlaTa is a splendid one to beholdOlaTa is a splendid one to beholdOlaTa is a splendid one to beholdOlaTa is a splendid one to behold
Re: hehe

Quote:
Originally posted by Jonas

U where a spy in r8 ?
if yes, why i didn´t kill u then :P
Unread 28 Jul 2003, 12:29   #18
Al_zz
ensign forever

Al_zz is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:

Besides that being illegal I think spying is a rather wank strategy.
It makes games a lot less interesting to play.
It makes alliances to closed for new players.
It makes alliance communities a lot less fun to be in.
Also it is hardly nescesary. In a random round info is easy enough to gather if you would put the effort in and have good tools to register and analyse data.

It is also quite useless in the end cause any winning alliance is always tainted so any results gained will rather be attributed to you alliance having cheated rather than it having good intell.

I rather have a n00b in my alliance who tries to play seriously and is a pleasant addition to the alliance community then have some applicant who brings in a memberlist of another alliance with him.

hAl
Al_zz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Jul 2003, 00:20   #19
Kileman
Commander

Quote:
Originally posted by Al_zz
Besides that being illegal I think spying is a rather wank strategy.
It makes games a lot less interesting to play.
It makes alliances to closed for new players.
It makes alliance communities a lot less fun to be in.
Also it is hardly nescesary. In a random round info is easy enough to gather if you would put the effort in and have good tools to register and analyse data.

It is also quite useless in the end cause any winning alliance is always tainted so any results gained will rather be attributed to you alliance having cheated rather than it having good intell.

I rather have a n00b in my alliance who tries to play seriously and is a pleasant addition to the alliance community then have some applicant who brings in a memberlist of another alliance with him.

hAl
Its illegal, but since when has that ever mattered in PA?

It makes the game just as interesting to play, if anything it adds a new dimension to the game, one that many people arent evern aware exists.

It doesnt alter in any way how 'closed' the game is to new players. (Feel free to prove me otherwise)

It may not be neccesary, but surely you cant say that if you were say Fury, and were an exec/hc for Xanadu, that it wouldnt give some advantage to you? or say you were a Military officer of Legion and was able to direct ships *away* from Fury, or know where attacks are planned, how the defence situation is, when people go offline, not to mention gaining a large number of co ords etc.

In R8 I wanted to see how effective it would be for a spy as a MO, so I collected a list of all Fury co ords that I ran def for, people that defended them etc... I had a list of about 95% of all of Furys co ords within the first few weeks in a random round... and that was just from a MO position. (Yes the list was secure, and no it didnt go anywhere - Fury loyal forever~ )

And it is useful to the alliances that win, as any good intel, is intel that wont get caught, and wont have their planet(s) deleted. Although there have been a few cases where spy identitys have been compromised in the past, through the occasional slip up, accidental pasting, bouncer problems or whatever

As for having a n00b in your alliance... how do you *really* know if they are a n00b, or a spy in disguise... you cant tell . But for the closed off micro politics, it doesnt make any difference to you.
________
Bmw 600 History

Unread 29 Jul 2003, 15:07   #20
Jonas
Most unimportant guy...

hehe

pld Kileman, however I dont like cheating spies nomatter how effective they are :/

and OlaTa ofc I never spied on hirr

Retired