User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions

View Poll Results: Combat length
1 tick attack / defence (new style) 55 30.39%
3 ticks attack / defence 23 12.71%
3 ticks attack / 6 ticks defence (old style) 93 51.38%
Other (post below) 10 5.52%
Voters: 181. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Unread 18 Nov 2003, 19:17   #1
Mit
Let battle commence

Mit is a jewel in the roughMit is a jewel in the roughMit is a jewel in the rough
Combat (2/2)

A few little questions regarding the future of PA.

Please add comments here if you wish.

<Mendosa> mit is a cute cudlly toy that will be in the shops by christmas
<mig-work> ur now my eternal fav pa god
<Squiz> i name thee, Sir Mit
<Zeus> u my friend are a true gamer I knew u were
Unread 18 Nov 2003, 19:21   #2
mist
Jolt's best friend

mist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to all
Re: Combat (2/2)

i'd have voted for 1 tick attack, 2 or 3 defence, but it's not there :/

-mist
Unread 18 Nov 2003, 20:25   #3
Killerbij
Roidhumper

Killerbij is an unknown quantity at this point

1 tick/1tick all the way. Finally tactics like waving make sense and are usefull and rewarding again. No need for tactics like overkill. It IS possible for the enemy to run out of defensive fleets. Maybe the roidcap should be increased a bit though (you used to be able to get 3*15% on 1 attack and now you only get 20% cap max) Maybe this should be raised to 30% so a 1 tick attack pays of more.

Definately NO against defense times that are longer than attack times. And PLEASE keep the attacking time to 1 tick. With a cap increase it leads to much more dynamic roid flows across the universe.
Unread 18 Nov 2003, 22:54   #4
Psi_K
Canadian to the Core

Psi_K is a jewel in the roughPsi_K is a jewel in the roughPsi_K is a jewel in the roughPsi_K is a jewel in the rough

Why no 2 tick attack, 3/4 tick defense?
r18-19 [eXi]
<Intermission>
r31-32 [CT] - r33-35 [DLR] - r36 [VsN] - r37 [???]
r45-46 [FAnG]
Unread 19 Nov 2003, 00:09   #5
Mit
Let battle commence

Mit is a jewel in the roughMit is a jewel in the roughMit is a jewel in the rough

they were the first that came to mind, i've added an 'another' which u can write down here

<Mendosa> mit is a cute cudlly toy that will be in the shops by christmas
<mig-work> ur now my eternal fav pa god
<Squiz> i name thee, Sir Mit
<Zeus> u my friend are a true gamer I knew u were
Unread 19 Nov 2003, 00:09   #6
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

old style all the way - alliances are too powerful with 1 tick attacks since everyone gets a look in. In contrast, in old PA, you couldn't have too many people attacking in the early hours without bringing down the roid cap.

Likewise, you need to be able to defend for a while - it makes sense logically - ships can hang around in a sector for a certain amount of time. You could even research how long you can attack/defend for!
Unread 19 Nov 2003, 02:50   #7
Scoot951
Das Scoot

Scoot951 is an unknown quantity at this point

I like 1/1, but with the current eta system I'd perfer 2/2. That way you can send defense for the 2nd tick, which may force the attacker to run entirely.

Or, you could just do away with this business of only giving people 1 tick to find defense.

I don't really know what I'm doing here
Unread 19 Nov 2003, 13:16   #8
gzambo
Fightin-irish for life

gzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant future

i like the idea of 1 tick attacks it makes the roids go further :P but would like to see an additional tick for defence however these would only work if the travel times were linked to ship class and not universal for all classes ,
you could offset this by haveing 2 types of each class ship were each class targets itself and the next class up

eg
fighter 1 - targets fighters
fighter 2 - targets frigates
frigate 1 - targets frigates
frigate 2 - targets cruiser
cruiser 1 - targets cruiser
cruiser 2 - targets battleship
and then with battle ships it gets a bit differant depending on race
terran bs1 - targets bs
terran bs 2 - targets fi
cath bs 1 - targets bs
cath bs 2 - targets frigates

etc etc

"In the absence of orders, find something and kill it."
-Rommel
Unread 19 Nov 2003, 23:03   #9
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gzambo
i like the idea of 1 tick attacks it makes the roids go further :P but would like to see an additional tick for defence however these would only work if the travel times were linked to ship class and not universal for all classes ,
you could offset this by haveing 2 types of each class ship were each class targets itself and the next class up

eg
fighter 1 - targets fighters
fighter 2 - targets frigates
frigate 1 - targets frigates
frigate 2 - targets cruiser
cruiser 1 - targets cruiser
cruiser 2 - targets battleship
and then with battle ships it gets a bit differant depending on race
terran bs1 - targets bs
terran bs 2 - targets fi
cath bs 1 - targets bs
cath bs 2 - targets frigates

etc etc
If we don't get the old stats back, I like this but I'd still rather have 3 tick attack/6 tick defence
Unread 23 Nov 2003, 19:52   #10
Deviant

Deviant has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I voted for old style PA because i thought it was just more enjoyable.

Deviant initiative - join #Deviant
Unread 28 Nov 2003, 15:30   #11
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

I'd like 2 tick attack and 2 or 3 tick defence (as mentioned above), as currently if you miss that single tick you cant help out your mate whatsoever - at least with two tick attacks then you can help for a while.

I voted for 3 / 3 thoguh - just because i felt like being different
Unread 10 Dec 2003, 09:09   #12
Mistwraith
Bad Girl

Mistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud of

1 tick attack is cool..
3 tick def or more.. not fussed but definately not 1
R11 -> NOW HR HC
(a round history not condusive to suceeding in exams, having a life or much sleep )
I'm not misunderstood ... I'm EVIL
Unread 13 Dec 2003, 23:57   #13
ScottishRebel
TroubleMaker

ScottishRebel is an unknown quantity at this point

I like it the way it is. although having maybe set for the Def to only 2 ticks instead of 6
Unread 14 Dec 2003, 23:39   #14
Hurragutten

Hurragutten is an unknown quantity at this point

I really prefere the PaX way of attacks/defence
Unread 10 Jan 2004, 22:01   #15
Rember
Womble

Rember has a spectacular aura aboutRember has a spectacular aura aboutRember has a spectacular aura about

2 ticks attack 3 ticks defence, though u need to change eta's and ships targetting.
if not, keep 1 /1
[12:17] <Gitchin> Rember your a womble!
[16:53] <SYMM> Rember your a womble! | [10:17:57] <Squidly> Rember, you're a womble
[19:28] <Filth> Rember your a womble! | [16:25] <remy|afk> Rember, you are a womble
[14:04] <Colt> Rember your a womble! | [16:22] <TVFreak> Rember U are a womble
[15:18] <Darkness> Rember U are a womble | [15:21] <Xerm|away> Rember U are a womble
[13:39:44] <illmatics> Rember your a womble
Unread 31 Jan 2004, 21:36   #16
Assassin
PA Ancient

Assassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant future

i think 3 tick attacks and 3 tick defence is an ok option. One becuase i hated the old style of defending for 6 ticks that just sucks, plus i feel that the new option sucked also becuase if you missed the tick ur done for, where as if it was attack 3 ticks then you will be able to at least save yourself 2 ticks.

Ever been attacked by a p3nguin? You get left a bit black and white!

p3nguin Founder
Unread 1 Feb 2004, 12:31   #17
Appocomaster
PA Team

Appocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

If (as I thought we were, although checking back I can't find a post to justify this) we're going back to clusters and parallels (hurray!) and (i know this!) we'll have 'several' races, I assume the ETA is being shifted back, which will make it easier to get defense with fighters / whatever their equilivent from cluster/parallel/gal mates. This will give the defender a bit of an advantage. I think the attacker should be able to attack for more than 1 tick (maybe lower the cap rate to 10%or something per tick - I realise more than 1 tick means bashing etc, with a huge fleet first tick and then a pod fleet next tick, but this is an initiative problem as much as an eta / attack time problem). Something like 2/2 or 2/3 (maybe 3/4) but I don't think 3/6 is fair, it'll be easier to get defense compared to last round as it is, so getting a friend bigger than you to send some of his fleet to cover you for 6 ticks against lots of incoming isn't that fair - and alliances will take advantage of this more than n00bs when covering defense.
Unread 24 Feb 2004, 03:02   #18
Cappy

Cappy is an unknown quantity at this point

different Attack /Defence Times Depending on Tactics and Research.
ie..

Attack 1 Tick - Sneak Attack (2X E cost, Does not show on Gal Status until tick 4 (or whatever ingal defence time is))
Attack 2 Tick - Normal Attack
Attack 2 Tick - Stratigic Attack (2X E cost, Roid Cap +5/10%, Attack Damage -10%)

Defend 2 Tick - Emergency Defence(3X E cost, ETA -1)
Defend 3 Tick - Normal Defence
Defend 4 Tick - Picket Defence (2X E cost, like 10% defence bonus)

Also, to make this work better, we would definately have to get rid of the Universal ETA. ETA based on Shipclass/size like in the old days. Priorities could be incorperated into all of these.
These of course are just basis for my idea, the costs and effects can be tweaked to be more fair.

Be True. Represent Yourself.

Last edited by Cappy; 27 Feb 2004 at 00:18.
Unread 2 Mar 2004, 09:34   #19
LordBrem

LordBrem is an unknown quantity at this point

It should be easier to defend than to attack...3/6 makes the most sense.
Unread 2 Mar 2004, 16:47   #20
General Martok
used to register

General Martok has a spectacular aura aboutGeneral Martok has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy
different Attack /Defence Times Depending on Tactics and Research.
ie..

Attack 1 Tick - Sneak Attack (2X E cost, Does not show on Gal Status until tick 4 (or whatever ingal defence time is))
Attack 2 Tick - Normal Attack
Attack 2 Tick - Stratigic Attack (2X E cost, Roid Cap +5/10%, Attack Damage -10%)

Defend 2 Tick - Emergency Defence(3X E cost, ETA -1)
Defend 3 Tick - Normal Defence
Defend 4 Tick - Picket Defence (2X E cost, like 10% defence bonus)

Also, to make this work better, we would definately have to get rid of the Universal ETA. ETA based on Shipclass/size like in the old days. Priorities could be incorperated into all of these.
These of course are just basis for my idea, the costs and effects can be tweaked to be more fair.
I rather liked the idea of NO launch costs whatsoever... Kept the fleets going, also later in round...
R1: ??:?? | R2: 51:6 | R3: 37:12 | R4: 186:13 | R5: 13:17 | R6: 1:25
R7: 15:14 | R8: 34:4 / 52:10 ¤ | R9: 16:2 | R9.5: 34:6 / 41:6 ¤
R10: 2:2 | R10.5: 15:4 | R11: 28:8 | R12: 22:9

Damn, outdated and too lazy to edit, retired now
-----
Started playing again Still too lazy to update though
Unread 2 Mar 2004, 23:39   #21
Cappy

keeping a stockpile of fuel is also a big part of strategy... one i think was missing from the last round. to me, its pointless to have the 3 resources in PAX, where at least in the earlier rounds, it made sence.. i.e. Metal primarily for ships (with exceptions) crystal for ships and scans, and e for scans and fuel. Having the resources kinda specialized like this made you use stratigy when getting roids... hummm, i need more fuel, ok, lets find a target where i can cap some E roids.... hmmm, i need some more crystal, so i can make scans, ok, lets find a target with lots of C roids. in PAX, all you really needed was a correct ratio... and by attacking targets of the same race, or alternating between certian races, you could keep that ratio... imho, overly simplified.

also, having to factor in fuel costs brings in strategy when composing a fleet. twards the end of the round, if you don't have enough E roids, you have to really watch how you compose your fleet. This also cuts down on the number of complete bashings that take place, unless the bashor ofc used enough strategy earlier in the game and got enough E roids

Last edited by Cappy; 6 Mar 2004 at 19:54.
Unread 17 Mar 2004, 09:47   #22
LordBrem

LordBrem is an unknown quantity at this point

What's wrong with complete bashings? They are fun
Unread 17 Mar 2004, 18:46   #23
Cappy

nothing ofc, if you plan well enough to have the fuel to fund them...

i'm just not the biggest fan of being able to send your entire fleet out every night with out the reprecussion of running out of fuel or whatever. to me, its almost too easy, and its just my personal opinion that i like using E as fuel.

I also liked having the different Ship Classes having different ETAs, that aslo brought into play many many different stratgies

Unread 18 Mar 2004, 18:49   #24
jerome

jerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so little

Well said, and I agree with your ideas in that earlier post, Cappy.
Unread 23 Mar 2004, 12:05   #25
Dark-Strider
Reservoir Dog

Dark-Strider is on a distinguished road

old school all the way
especially for when def, so thn u can tackle 2 waves of attacks
Unread 24 Mar 2004, 09:22   #26
Gerbie
pe0n

Gerbie is an unknown quantity at this point

I prefer old style above this new stuff. But why not try a compomise (2 att/3 def)?

some suggestions:
traveltime is an important factor too: add distances or clusters and/or parallels

A traveltime system that favours smaller players sounds nice too: TT or speed based on your (fleet)value: allows swift action from early on in the game, without taking away the need for TT research. Or based on your relative value (to fascilitate attacking big players). It would allow the smaller players to work together over larger distances.

If you use old stats, then simplify them: WpSp/Agil and Guns/Pwr/Armor have a similar aim: 1 of these combinations can be made abundand without seriously influencing the way combat takes place.

Remove the attack limit: if the scoring system is bad, then fix that instead of fighting the symptons.
round 7 noob: rank 6.198 25:20:25 - VoC member
round 8 noob: rank 4.112 7:2:3 - TFD member
round 9 rank 941 23:1:9 - TFD HC
round 9.5 rank 860 22:7:3 - TFD HC
round 10: rank unknown (was #1 for a while) 5:2:5 - Vengeance pe0n
round 10.5: rank 683 19:10:2 - VGN member
round 11: rank 138 8:8:4 - VsN member
round 12: rank 515 - VGN 'special attack officer' -> jumped ship to Rock
round 13: rank 85: NoS
Unread 28 Mar 2004, 08:54   #27
Cappy

humm... just noticing, i have like 3 posts alone on this one thread, yet i still have a post count of 1.

i would be more than happy to settle for anything, so long as it was that defence can be 2X as long as attacks. ie. 1A/2D ; 2A/4D, etc.

Closed Thread