User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 6 Sep 2003, 23:54   #1
Tobe
Checkout Boy

Tobe is an unknown quantity at this point
Scenes that make films outstanding + I want to spoil a load too (saying the endings)

while watching forrest gump tonight i changed my mind about my favourite film which now as you can guess is forrest gump

one of the main reasons is the way the film plays on your emotions and maitains your attention for 2hours and however many minutes. Seeing the film got me thinking on why it was such a great film and i realised its because it has so many outstanding scenes that make you laugh/cry/pity

some such scenes include jenny going back to her old house, jenny dying, bubba dying, the anti war rally

no other films i can think of have so many amazing scenes so i decided to list a few great scenes from a few amazing films, feel free to list your own

American History X: rape scene + after talking in hospital with captain sisko, danny getting shot

Shawshank Redemption: Crooks hanging, the escape, the fat guy at the start who gets killed.

Deer Hunter: First russian roulette scene where they escape, falling from helicopter, russian roulette scene years later

Men of Honour: scene underwater putting together whatever it is, leg getting cut, scene in bar holding breath

Any Given Sunday: when Capt gets injured in final game, shark getting knocked out in final game

Memento: "first" scene

Carlitos way: getting shot at the end

err sorry to those who this has spoiled films for
Unread 6 Sep 2003, 23:56   #2
Pyr0 MK III
Look! He's Dancing!

Pyr0 MK III is an unknown quantity at this point
Harvey Keitel's scene in Pulp Fiction made that movie
[22:18] <nodrog> Cock: 8" (20cm) uncut
[22:18] <nodrog> Balls: Large hefty balls, stretched max 6" (15.5cm)
[22:18] <nodrog> Arse: Can take two fists, or one fist almost to the elbow, but slow warming up.
Pyr0 MK III is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Sep 2003, 23:59   #3
Ebany
Cute Kitten

Ebany is a glorious beacon of lightEbany is a glorious beacon of lightEbany is a glorious beacon of lightEbany is a glorious beacon of lightEbany is a glorious beacon of light
Sadly, (and to beautifully demonstate the difference in tastes that is being discussed elsewhere) I have never seen any of those listed, aside from Forrest Gump.

As the majority of my favoured films are disney, im not sure theyre allowed to have good scenes.

I've just racked my brain for some time and cant think of any scenes that really leap to mind. Schindlers list made me cry a lot though, the bits with the little girl in the red coat.
Ebany is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Sep 2003, 23:59   #4
Bloomers III
Cute and cuddly

Bloomers III has a spectacular aura aboutBloomers III has a spectacular aura aboutBloomers III has a spectacular aura about
depends what you look for in a movie. all good movies have scenes like that (my favourites like this are Road to Perdition, Good Will Hunting, Patch Adams, Shawshank Redemption etc.)

but my favourite movies are not ones which make you laugh/cry/pity (although most contain black humour - no not bernie mac). i prefer to judge a film by the acting, the way it's directed, the underlying message, the tone and the soundtrack.

AMERICAN BEAUTY IS THE BEST FILM EVER! thank you
Unread 7 Sep 2003, 00:00   #5
rageybabey
Shenanigans

rageybabey will become famous soon enoughrageybabey will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally posted by Ebany
As the majority of my favoured films are disney,
That explains a lot.
Quote:
Originally posted by JC
lolly roffle
rageybabey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Sep 2003, 00:03   #6
Tobe
Checkout Boy

Quote:
Originally posted by Bloomers III
i prefer to judge a film by the acting, the way it's directed, the underlying message, the tone and the soundtrack.

thats because you are a fag who likes to pretend he s cultured. sure you can judge by the acting, direction.

Why judge by the underlying message? and who says there has to be one, a film can be great irrelevant of the message it is trying to convey
Unread 7 Sep 2003, 00:03   #7
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by rageybabey
That explains a lot.
Such as?
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Sep 2003, 00:04   #8
rageybabey
Shenanigans

rageybabey will become famous soon enoughrageybabey will become famous soon enough
Immortal Beloved - the scene where Schindler tells Johanna "who" she is...

Interview with the Vampire - Claudia's death, Louis birth to darkness

Leon - Matilda's family getting wiped out

Granted these scenes are mostly pretty f*cked up but they did make the movie more powerful... Yeah.
Quote:
Originally posted by JC
lolly roffle
rageybabey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Sep 2003, 00:06   #9
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
I like any scene which has a certain degree of "**** you" about it. You know, when the chips are down and the goodie digs deep and fights back showing that right makes might, etc.

Anyway :

Leon - "This is from Maltida" & the whole DEA building bit + others

It's a Wonderful Life - the end bit with the money from the town

The Matrix - the bit where Keanu Reeves stands his ground against the Agent - "he's starting to believe'

Heat - DeNiro killing that psycho guy

Annie Hall - "Well , I just so happen to have Marshall McLuhan here now..."

Good Will Hunting - Will humiliating Harvard guy + later "Do you like apples" + his NSA rant

[edit]Untouchables - "You got him?" bit[/edit]
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Sep 2003, 00:06   #10
Bloomers III
Cute and cuddly

Bloomers III has a spectacular aura aboutBloomers III has a spectacular aura aboutBloomers III has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally posted by Tobe
thats because you are a fag who likes to pretend he s cultured. sure you can judge by the acting, direction.

Why judge by the underlying message? and who says there has to be one, a film can be great irrelevant of the message it is trying to convey
i don't try and be cultured, i don't look at these things deliberately it's just things i notice. i just naturally prefer movies like American Beauty, Fight Club, Donnie Darko. I've recently bought Trainspotting and I expect I'll like it a lot.
Unread 7 Sep 2003, 00:08   #11
lokken
BlueTuba

lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by rageybabey

Leon - Matilda's family getting wiped out
I tend to think more of Gary Oldman's rants (especially the one after Matilda's family gets wiped out) with that film.

Although there are MANY good scenes in that movie.

Not to mention

Pulp Fiction - Big Cahuna Burger scene and the cafeteria scene near the end.

Shawshank - the closing scene along with Red's general rant about how **** the prison parole board is which ends up getting him released.

But I don't see many films.

Last edited by lokken; 7 Sep 2003 at 00:13.
lokken is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Sep 2003, 00:11   #12
Tobe
Checkout Boy

Quote:
Originally posted by Bloomers III
i don't try and be cultured, i don't look at these things deliberately it's just things i notice. i just naturally prefer movies like American Beauty, Fight Club, Donnie Darko. I've recently bought Trainspotting and I expect I'll like it a lot.
i wasnt particularly impressed by trainspotting the first time i watched it i was hungover and tired and it bored me
Unread 7 Sep 2003, 00:12   #13
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Not many 'pay attention please' films are good if you watch them hungover and tired.
Unread 7 Sep 2003, 00:13   #14
Ebany
Cute Kitten

Ebany is a glorious beacon of lightEbany is a glorious beacon of lightEbany is a glorious beacon of lightEbany is a glorious beacon of lightEbany is a glorious beacon of light
Gievn I've seen a number of films when drunk and then watched them again the next morning and said 'Ohhhhhhhhh...theres a PLOT!!' its never good to purely trust a drunken opinion of a film.
Ebany is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Sep 2003, 00:16   #15
Tobe
Checkout Boy

Quote:
Originally posted by MrL_JaKiri
Not many 'pay attention please' films are good if you watch them hungover and tired.
i watched it again and it was better but still not worthy of my top ten films

also i tried to watch brazil for the first time while drunk last night and thats not worth watching unless you are stone sober and are in a concentrating mood
Unread 7 Sep 2003, 00:18   #16
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Brazil is GREAT.
Unread 7 Sep 2003, 01:09   #17
inf
Banned

inf is an unknown quantity at this point
trainspotting.
inf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Sep 2003, 02:13   #18
Aryn
Happy

Aryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond repute
i like silly 'this would never happen in real life' movies
you know.. like Deep Impact, Deep Blue Sea, Volcano, and Lake Placid

it's not that i LIKE them and think they're great.. but i like watching those kind of movies cause i find them absolutely hilarious.
Unread 7 Sep 2003, 02:26   #19
Embroglio
a new low in getting high

Embroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
The whole of Memento is highly :cool:.
I want you by my side.

We’re hitting a new low.
Embroglio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Sep 2003, 03:12   #20
KoeN
Lucky
Helicopter Champion

KoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant future
the scene at the trainstation in 'once upon a time in the west'.

the scene at the trainstation in 'the untouchables'.

ps i'm merry, nn.
KoeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Sep 2003, 04:12   #21
Scoot951
Das Scoot

Scoot951 is an unknown quantity at this point
I judge movies based on how much CGI they have. I am a mindless drone of the masses.

I don't really know what I'm doing here
Scoot951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Sep 2003, 04:39   #22
Kurashima
Has Soup On His Head

Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
The Usual Suspects - The Killing of Saul , where Stephen Baldwin fakes left , fakes right , fires twice , two kill shots , then just shrugs and says "Bad Day".

The Godfather - "You come into my house, on this my daughters wedding day ......." , and of course , the horses head scene.

Transformers the Movie - Death of Optimus Prime .... "Till all are one"
In his zeal to discover the Snark
Kurashima is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Sep 2003, 05:45   #23
W
Gubbish

W is a jewel in the roughW is a jewel in the roughW is a jewel in the rough
When pacino and de niro talk in the restaurant in heat.
The "I love the smell of napalm in the morning" scene from apocalypse now.
When enola recognize the mariner as he walks across the deck of the deez at the end of waterworld, and says something like "you're in so much trouble".
The final scene in the fifth element.
The ending clip "a storm is comming" in the terminator.
Unread 7 Sep 2003, 14:25   #24
KaneED
Motherfracker

KaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by Dante Hicks

It's a Wonderful Life - the end bit with the money from the town
[/edit]
is there a scene in this film where they're being looked for and he hides his son in this locker type thing in a big yard surrounded by walls/buildings?

also, i cried when i first saw forrest gump
KaneED is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Sep 2003, 16:27   #25
Vaio
Heh, Leeds !

Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
The bit in 'A Perfect Storm' where they all drown, makes sitting through the rest of the dull movie worthwhile, although it might have been better if they just cut the movie to those couple of minutes.

Vaio

Yes, I know he is dead !
Vaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Sep 2003, 17:39   #26
Vaio
Heh, Leeds !

Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
I am surprised no-one has mentioned The Italian Job when they blow the car up and Caine utters those immortal words 'Your only supposed to blow the bloody doors off'

Vaio

Yes, I know he is dead !
Vaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Sep 2003, 19:11   #27
Lupin
I play the double-bass.

Lupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant future
a bronx tale - the scene with the bikers in the bar

mirage - when gregory peck finally gets a clue

full metal jacket - i dont have to explain, do i?

Charlie Mingus, such nimble fingers
Droppin the bass, all over the place
Lupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Sep 2003, 02:50   #28
Nusselt
share the <3

Nusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better place
Quote:
Charlie: Look, kid — how much you weigh, slim? When you weighed one hundred and sixty-eight pounds you were beautiful. You coulda been another Billy Cahn, and that skunk we got you for a manager, he brought you along too fast.

Terry Malloy: It wasn't him, Charlie, it was you. Remember that night at the Garden? You came down to my dressing room and you said, "Kid, this ain't your night. We're going for the price on Wilson." You remember that? 'This ain't your night!' My night! I coulda taken Wilson apart! So what happens? He gets the title shot outdoors on the ballpark and what do I get? A one-way ticket to Palooka-ville! You was my brother, Charlie, you shoulda looked out for me a little bit. You shoulda taken care of me just a little bit so I wouldn't have to take them dives for the short-end money.

Charlie: Oh I had some bets down for you. You saw some money.

Terry Malloy: You don't understand. I coulda had class. I coulda been a contender. I coulda been somebody.... instead of a bum, which is what I am, let's face it. It was you, Charlie.
now i know this has become a very famous scene and is often quoted but in all honesty i didnt know about how famous it was when i saw the movie, and i thought it was class.
Unread 9 Sep 2003, 08:28   #29
Radical Edward

Radical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriend
Pacino's rant in Devils Advocate had me convinced that Satan is the good guy.

ok 3..... 2..... 1.. let's jam
Radical Edward is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Sep 2003, 08:45   #30
Ärketrollmannen
Ajaj Kapten!

Ärketrollmannen is just really niceÄrketrollmannen is just really niceÄrketrollmannen is just really niceÄrketrollmannen is just really niceÄrketrollmannen is just really nice
Quote:
Originally posted by Lupin
a bronx tale - the scene with the bikers in the bar

full metal jacket - i dont have to explain, do i?
when he closed the door i actually got goosebumbps (is it called that?)

PLease explain, wich part do you mean?
Godwin's Law prov. [Usenet] "As a Usenet discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one." There is a tradition in many groups that, once this occurs, that thread is over, and whoever mentioned the Nazis has automatically lost whatever argument was in progress. Godwin's Law thus practically guarantees the existence of an upper bound on thread length in those groups. However there is also a widely- recognized codicil that any intentional triggering of Godwin's Law in order to invoke its thread-ending effects will be unsuccessful.
Ärketrollmannen is offline   Reply With Quote