User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 29 Aug 2003, 15:50   #1
Cynical Oracle
Poster Professionale

Cynical Oracle is just really niceCynical Oracle is just really niceCynical Oracle is just really niceCynical Oracle is just really nice
Exclamation Studying law.

Is it worth the 5/6 years it takes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodrog
I wish we could trademark for a less shitty poster
hahahahahahaha, get it?
Cynical Oracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Aug 2003, 15:53   #2
Ragnarak

Ragnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to behold
it depends

what do you want out of life?
Are the best i've ever had
Ragnarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Aug 2003, 16:03   #3
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
If not, at least you'll know how to sue for damages afterwards.
Unread 29 Aug 2003, 16:07   #4
Cynical Oracle
Poster Professionale

Cynical Oracle is just really niceCynical Oracle is just really niceCynical Oracle is just really niceCynical Oracle is just really nice
Quote:
Originally posted by Ragnarak
it depends

what do you want out of life?
I want to make lots of money, while having a fairly imortant position.

Quote:
hahahahahahaha, get it?
Unread 29 Aug 2003, 16:08   #5
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally posted by Cynical Oracle
The pre-requisite for all this is intelligence, though.
Marilyn Manson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Aug 2003, 16:12   #6
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Exclamation

And considering you have all the argumentative and rhetorical skills of a lettuce, at least if your many performances here are anything to go by, I think law may just not be the career for you.
Unread 29 Aug 2003, 16:23   #7
Cynical Oracle
Poster Professionale

Quote:
Originally posted by Marilyn Manson
And considering you have all the argumentative and rhetorical skills of a lettuce, at least if your many performances here are anything to go by, I think law may just not be the career for you.
I'm fairly sure that while I feel the same way about you, and many others around here, you would not believe this about yourself; even tho I told you that I'm smarter than you.

Quote:
hahahahahahaha, get it?
Unread 29 Aug 2003, 16:28   #8
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Exclamation

Quote:
I'm fairly sure that while I feel the same way about you, and many others around here, you would not believe this about yourself;
Because it doesn't apply to me.

Quote:
even tho I told you that I'm smarter than you.
You have a bizzare way of showing it.

Principally, by appearing for all intents and purposes, to be recklessly stupid.
Unread 29 Aug 2003, 16:29   #9
queball
Ball

queball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so little
Not all lawyers argue and not all applications of law require lawyering. I would think there are lots of things to consider: what you want to do afterwards, whether you want to study just one legal system, what your motivation is, that sort of thing. If there was a simple yes or no answer to whether it is worth it then either the entire population would have studied law or none would.
Unread 29 Aug 2003, 16:32   #10
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally posted by queball
Not all lawyers argue and not all applications of law require lawyering.
If you wish to make lots of money, and eventually gain an important position, as he intends, (I'm presuming a judge or something similarly improbable.) then you basically have to be an advocate in some capacity.

You also don't get very far being a dunce, as he is.

It is not an easy career, by any means.
Unread 29 Aug 2003, 16:37   #11
Dace
so f*cking zen

Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
ANOTHER LAWYER IS JUST WHAT THIS PLANET NEEDS!
Unread 29 Aug 2003, 17:53   #12
Cynical Oracle
Poster Professionale

Quote:
Originally posted by Marilyn Manson
You have a bizzare way of showing it.

Principally, by appearing for all intents and purposes, to be recklessly stupid.
You didn't catch my point did you?

Quote:
hahahahahahaha, get it?
Unread 29 Aug 2003, 18:03   #13
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
You didn't catch my point did you?
Without wishing to descend to a 'poll' type mentality, if someone like queball posted that he wished to become a lawyer, no-one would particularly laugh since queball has shown himself to be a fairly smart individual.

I think MM is hinting that such respect may be lacking for an individual such as yourself. This is either because you do have a well-defined intellect which you refuse to demonstrate on these forums, or well, something else.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Aug 2003, 18:03   #14
SilverSmoke
Guy next door

SilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so little
If you believe you can measure someone's intelligence based on what they post on some retarded forum you need some serious help
Unread 29 Aug 2003, 18:08   #15
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by SilverSmoke
If you believe you can measure someone's intelligence based on what they post on some retarded forum you need some serious help
If they had only posted on Role Playing or something like that then sure. Or if they had never posted on any of the serious threads, I would agree. Take yourself. I have no idea how clever you may or may not be, since you generally stick to the "amusing" threads, not bothering to get involved in the more boring debatey type ones. So you could be very clever or not - I have no idea.

But when someone has posted several times on debate threads and not shown themselves to be particularly intelligent, what can we think? Obviously we cannot 'measure' in the strictest sense (but some argue we never can) but I'd say it gives a reasonable idea.

Are you saying that you've never seen a post on a forum that demonstrates even the slightest amount of "smarts"?
Unread 29 Aug 2003, 18:11   #16
Cynical Oracle
Poster Professionale

Quote:
Thanks handsome!

Quote:
hahahahahahaha, get it?
Unread 29 Aug 2003, 18:16   #17
SilverSmoke
Guy next door

SilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so little
Quote:
Originally posted by Dante Hicks
If they had only posted on Role Playing or something like that then sure. Or if they had never posted on any of the serious threads, I would agree. Take yourself. I have no idea how clever you may or may not be, since you generally stick to the "amusing" threads, not bothering to get involved in the more boring debatey type ones. So you could be very clever or not - I have no idea.
I know. I dont master the English language on a level that makes me want to get involved in the more serious threads, but I like to read most of them though, although I don't always understand the full points due to lack of english knowledge or background knowledge about politics/history/etc.

Quote:
But when someone has posted several times on debate threads and not shown themselves to be particularly intelligent, what can we think? Obviously we cannot 'measure' in the strictest sense (but some argue we never can) but I'd say it gives a reasonable idea.
[/b]
I believe it's not hard to make yourself look intelligent on an internet forum when you put some effort in it.

Quote:
Are you saying that you've never seen a post on a forum that demonstrates even the slightest amount of "smarts"? [/b]
Ofcourse, I can name a few without thinking of which I am quite sure they're at least fairly intelligent. My point is, its fairly hard to detect if someone has a lack of intelligence based on what he writes on a forum. He's just sitting behind his pc relaxing a bit from RL you know..
Unread 29 Aug 2003, 18:27   #18
SilverSmoke
Guy next door

Now I am thinking about it, I don't think I believe in intelligence. I believe in base skills, dedication and interest.
Unread 29 Aug 2003, 18:33   #19
queball
Ball

queball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so little
Quote:
He's just sitting behind his pc relaxing a bit from RL you know..
Definitely. One of the most wise internet pesonalities I know spends his time quoting the Matrix. MM is partial to snide antagonism. Vermillion has defended nuking Hiroshima. etc
Unread 29 Aug 2003, 18:45   #20
Cynical Oracle
Poster Professionale

Quote:

Are you saying that you've never seen a post on a forum that demonstrates even the slightest amount of "smarts"?
I've seen people show knowledge. I can only say I've seen one that has an excessive amount of that, namly Vermillion.

Quote:
hahahahahahaha, get it?
Unread 29 Aug 2003, 19:14   #21
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Exclamation

Quote:
Definitely. One of the most wise internet pesonalities I know spends his time quoting the Matrix.
Wisdom is only possesed by the learned.[/Baldur's Gate]

etc.

heh.

Quote:
MM is partial to snide antagonism.
You love it you bitches.

P.S, I'd hate to think that I was known principally for my snide antagonism. This is Nod's job, I think. Probably.

Quote:
Vermillion has defended nuking Hiroshima. etc
So have I!
Unread 29 Aug 2003, 19:17   #22
Cynical Oracle
Poster Professionale

Row row row your boat,
gently down the stream..

etc..

Quote:
hahahahahahaha, get it?
Unread 29 Aug 2003, 19:24   #23
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Exclamation

Quote:
I've seen people show knowledge. I can only say I've seen one that has an excessive amount of that, namly Vermillion.
The only reason you haven't benefited from my depth of knowledge about politics and political history, to name but two subjects, is that there largely isn't much call for that here.
Unread 29 Aug 2003, 19:28   #24
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Exclamation

Quote:
My point is, its fairly hard to detect if someone has a lack of intelligence based on what he writes on a forum. He's just sitting behind his pc relaxing a bit from RL you know..
Not strictly true. If you're there to debate, then you're there to debate, and should, theoretically, put as much effort into it as possible, regardless of the medium.

Unless you actually want to be/appear intellectually/mentally lax, in which case I can't understand why you would wish to engage in debate in the first place.
Unread 29 Aug 2003, 19:45   #25
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
I'm not talking about knowledge. Knowledge is something which can be acquired quite easily, and wouldn't really matter if you were thinking of entering a new field.

I was referring to a certain kind of aptitude toward debate ("smarts"). There are various people who may not know a single thing about the law, but would still be quite good (I'd think) at the law since they have demonstrated logic in their arguments, etc.

Of course, it's all null and void if you're saying you've deliberately gone out of your way to demonstrate an ineptitude in debate, etc.
Unread 29 Aug 2003, 20:08   #26
inf
Banned

inf is an unknown quantity at this point
imortant ?
inf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Aug 2003, 21:15   #27
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Being a lawyer is not the easiest way to do this. It'd be better if you invented/exploited something and built up a company gaining off the massive operating profits it will have.
Unread 29 Aug 2003, 22:46   #28
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by Toccata & Fugue
Like designing an online space strategy game.
Shock horror as commie pinko doesn't support the free market system!
Unread 29 Aug 2003, 22:46   #29
Ste
Bored

Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
My housemate wants to be a lawyer.
She's doing a 3 year history degree and then will do a one year law conversion course.
That way she's more 'rounded' and gets to piss around for the first three years while only doing one year of hard work.
It's the work experience in the summer that does it for you though.
Ste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Aug 2003, 23:00   #30
JonnyBGood
Banned

Quote:
How you got this from my sideswipe at unanmed online space strategy game I'll never know.

Well I don't believe there has ever been a freemarket system but if you are reffering to the current system of corporate welfare, then yes you've got me.

In fact under my grand scheme anyone who designs a poorly implemented, bugged online space stratgey game will be forced to play it and receieve an electric shock every time it crashes, fails to load, has to be patched. I think I have the support of the majority on this.

I have to justify my wild and unsubstantiated statements now? Dude this sucks

PS Create a petition and i'll sign it.

PPS Corporate welfare? Mother of god I use less rhetoric writing bitter hate-filled essays. Do you include references to the struggle of the downtrodden masses by the evil imperialistic neo-bourgeoise (damn I like that one) when writing personal letters?
Unread 29 Aug 2003, 23:07   #31
Proteus
Lord Denning

Proteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriend
Quote:
1) Become drug baron
2) Give huge donation to political party currently in power
3) Get made Life Peer
4) Profit
He was crowned in York Cathedral as 'Expert in the West' by Pope Urban III in 1186.
Proteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Aug 2003, 23:20   #32
queball
Ball

Jonny tries to reclaim the "pointless antagonism" title.
Unread 29 Aug 2003, 23:33   #33
JonnyBGood
Banned

Quote:
Jonny tries to reclaim the "pointless antagonism" title.

If I come back and you're a mod on GD I'm packing up and moving to Mars.

PS During sex? Apparently despite what the internet says telling her to "suck it bitch" doesn't go across too well.
Unread 29 Aug 2003, 23:49   #34
JonnyBGood
Banned

Quote:
Thank you for the sage advice old man.

Obviously I meant communist rhetoric, nothing turns a girl on more then when you start refering to masses rising up within her means of production etc. (Actually that was pretty awful, but it was the best I could of think of ) :eek:

Any suggestions?

The floodgates of repression will be broken open by my mighty sword of righteous love?
Unread 30 Aug 2003, 04:38   #35
Muslim
Banned

Muslim is an unknown quantity at this point
I study law and I gotta tell you
you have to like it
when I first entered i find boring/repetitive but now its getting a lot better
my vocabulary has expanded immensely, also my reading capabilities. At least in brazil knowing how to be rethorical or argumentative is not a requirement to do well on the law carrier. To become a judge all you need is to learn all the laws and read some books.
but to be a advocate, then youll need those skills

and the coments on "you arent smart. look at your posts. youre a dumb twat" are at least laughble. From time to time i am given cases to handle where i work in internship and so far i doing briliantly, with extraordinary retorts.
considering that im viewed as a low grade troll in here... quite a remark there, MM
Muslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Aug 2003, 09:26   #36
Cynical Oracle
Poster Professionale

Exclamation My First Case

According to Mark's later addition to the law of GD I think Marlin Manson has broken atleast one, with his personal attack.

Quote:
Clause 4 : Flaming

I understand that a large part of the forums is "taking the 'mickey' out of people" but to actually attack their person is wrong. Being verbally attacked by people in groups is unfair and is not, in my opinion, at all allowable. Its childish and immature and will be stopped. A line needs to be drawn between "taking the mickey" and going for the his/her throat. Its putting alot of people off posting because they dont want to be aggressivly hounded for expressing an opinion. Elitist behaviour and demeaning people due to their position in society is also strictly forbidden. Failure to comply with this will lead to a strike being issued.
Maybee these don't apply to him tho, since he's a former moderator.

Quote:
hahahahahahaha, get it?
Unread 30 Aug 2003, 10:20   #37
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
Originally posted by Muslim
considering that im viewed as a low grade troll in here...
It also depends on your English language skills, I'd imagine. Your English seems pretty good, but I'm sure it still hampers the demonstration of your genius...
Unread 30 Aug 2003, 10:24   #38
Cynical Oracle
Poster Professionale

Quote:
It also depends on your English language skills, I'd imagine. Your English seems pretty good, but I'm sure it still hampers the demonstration of your genius...
How do you rate my English skills Mr. Hicks?

Quote:
hahahahahahaha, get it?
Unread 30 Aug 2003, 10:30   #39
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
How do you rate my English skills Mr. Hicks?
Your English seems very good, so I presume that it doesn't hamper you from posting your thoughts. Of course this is a misconception, but somewhat inevitable.

From posts alone, I wouldn't be able to tell that certain people weren't native English speakers (like Leshy or W for instance).
Unread 30 Aug 2003, 11:14   #40
Cynical Oracle
Poster Professionale

Quote:
Your English seems very good, so I presume that it doesn't hamper you from posting your thoughts. Of course this is a misconception, but somewhat inevitable.
I come here to play with the others. I go around all day listening to people who comment on my wits, and quite frankly, it bores me. I'm here to rebel, wich I find myself quite successfull at. You have no chance of telling if someone are clever or not from looking at posts made on an internet forum open to the public. The fact that I can write very well English should counter your misperception of my intelligence, considering it's not my native language .

Your logic is flawed.

Quote:
hahahahahahaha, get it?
Unread 30 Aug 2003, 11:18   #41
JammyJim
Godfather

JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
heh

you want to study law because it makes you money?
Are you stupid?

Just by asking the 'is it worth it?' question id advise not to do it. You have 3 or 4 years of your life to get qualified in something you enjoy doing. IF you end up not liking the course youll fail and have to start all over again.

If you dont enjoy what you do it doesnt matter what qualification you have. You might be a lawyer but if you dont enjoy doing it youll be utter crap. Everyday will be laborious and it takes awhile to work your way up.

Yes its a good degree but id say a good 75% of the people i know at uni do law for some reason or a law subject. (lots of competition boyo)

IF you want to be a lawyer or have a law degree do a course you enjoy and then a 1/2 year conversion.

Do something more fun.

I hear Media Studies is 'da bomb'
It's not personal, it's just business.
JammyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Aug 2003, 11:32   #42
Cynical Oracle
Poster Professionale

I want to study law because I want to make a difference. To understand the system more precisly. I'm well aware that it's alot of work and I'm already connected to a few lawyers. Everyone I speak to in real life, thinks it's the perfect job for me.

Lots of money and 'importance' is just a remark made for my own amusement.

Quote:
hahahahahahaha, get it?
Unread 30 Aug 2003, 17:53   #43
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
You have no chance of telling if someone are clever or not from looking at posts made on an internet forum open to the public.
This doesn't strike me as accurate. If I read a 100 posts by User X, and every one of them is intelligent, well-argued and interesting I am going to make the leap and think that person is fairly intelligent. I wouldn't bet my life on it, but it's a reasonable presumption.

Just like in real-life. If I have ten conversations with someone and they are erudite and amusing in each one, I think it's reasonable to presume they are normally like that. It could a horribly misplaced assessment - they could normally be boorish and ignorant, and they just happened to plagarise a book they were reading for those particular conversations.

With ignorance (or lack of intelligence, however you wish to put it), it's harder. A lot of people seem to deliberately look foolish on the internet. It's harder to tell how stupid these people really are. You can't make a solid assesment, but you can make a reasonable guestimate as to how clever these "trolls" (and their ilk) are. A lot of the time it won't be conscious, it's not like I've got a report card here which I'm constantly updating everytime I read a post.

But if I see a thread, or a reply by a specific user I'm going to make a subconscious assesment as to how worthwhile it's likely to be. I might be wrong, everyone has bad days, and even the most tiresome poster pulls something out of the bag. But it's usually accurate.
Unread 30 Aug 2003, 18:01   #44
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
law sucks
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Aug 2003, 18:03   #45
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
Originally posted by Nodrog
law sucks
Quote:
I might be wrong, everyone has bad days
Unread 30 Aug 2003, 18:06   #46
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
thats kind of mean
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Aug 2003, 13:22   #47
Ste
Bored

Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Yes but she has to do an extra year and will still either have to do the bar exam + pupilege or do the Solicitors exams. She could have done a law degree and read some history books.

History is a good subject but it won't get you a job unless yuo have alike a PHD in it sadly.
Actually that's where you are wrong.
Before she came to uni she rang a few law firms and they told her they would prefer her to do it the way she's doing it over just doing a law degree.
Yes it will take an extra year but she'll be much more qualified.

anyway - it's the work experience that matters nowadays.
Ste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Aug 2003, 18:54   #48
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Row row row your boat,
gently down the stream..

etc..
I do, very much.

ps. The addition to the rules was exploiting the flaw in the mailing system, not making things go off topic, or that would have been the most ironic sticky in history.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Aug 2003, 21:48   #49
MrPeach

MrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud of
Having a degree in law does not guarentee you will make a lot of money, so it would not be a wise choice if this is your only motivation.

Ok, you have now said that a lot of people have said to you that you would make a good lawyer, I get that a lot as I can be an argumentative little ****... However the only person that can tell you if law is the right choice for you is yourself.

To answer this question you need to talk to lawyers, visit the law courts in London or somewhere (you can watch cases, this can be quite entertaining for anyone), and most importantly read about the subject.

Also I recomend visiting universities and seeing what the course contains. This way you will be able to decide if you are going to enjoy your time studying... and as your years at uni will be the best years of your life (apparently) then you better make sure you enjoy them or the rest of your life will be quite grim.

---------

As for being able to tell someone's intelligence from reading posts off an internet forum. It is quite possible to have a vague idea of someones intelligence, but only if (as someone else said), they choose to show you. A lot of the stupidity on the forums, is just people being immature, sarcastic, "funny" etc...

P.s. Oh and to whoever said ignorance was the same as lack of intelligence you are wrong.
MrPeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Sep 2003, 14:23   #50
Cynical Oracle
Poster Professionale

Quote:
This doesn't strike me as accurate. If I read a 100 posts by User X, and every one of them is intelligent, well-argued and interesting I am going to make the leap and think that person is fairly intelligent.
Or one hell of a Google and Copy & Paste skills kinda guy.

Quote:
hahahahahahaha, get it?