User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 12 Sep 2003, 19:28   #1
Ste
Bored

Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Very hard Maths problem

Ok, I can't do it I spent a good 2 hours on it last night and I got nowhere.

So I'm offering it up to you lot:

Quote:
Each letter of the alphabet has been assigned a different value (from 1 to 26), no letter having the same value as that of it's position in the alphabet (eg A hasn't a value of 1, z hasn't a value of 26 etc). All of the values remain the same throughout the puzzle. What is each letter's value?

1. B/X = E - (V + R)

2. C + K = T

3. Z * P = L

4. F + Y = Q

5. C * Y = O

6. M + H = T

7. T + T = I

8. L/H = C

9. G + J = T

10. T - V = D - (A + R)

11. P + R + K = Z

12. S - A = J + P

13. U > N

14. I - R = W

15. M * J = D
someone must be able to at least have a go at this.
Let me know how you get on.

[EDIT] If you want to challenge yourself don't read the replies as the answer is there, have a go first! [/EDIT]

Last edited by Ste; 13 Sep 2003 at 10:26.
Ste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Sep 2003, 19:29   #2
Mushroom
IRC Lackey

Mushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond repute
toaster.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."
George Bernard Shaw
Mushroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Sep 2003, 19:37   #3
acropolis
Vermin Supreme

acropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better place
hey shouldn't your answer be an 11-dimensional 'space' of infinite extent in all directions?

cuz you've got 15 equations for 26 variables. that's not very many!
acropolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Sep 2003, 19:39   #4
queball
Ball

queball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so little
Quote:
Originally posted by acropolis
hey shouldn't your answer be an 11-dimensional 'space' of infinite extent in all directions?

cuz you've got 15 equations for 26 variables. that's not very many!
No, because you know they are all integers 1-26 and that they are all different. That's only a finite space.
Unread 12 Sep 2003, 19:41   #5
acropolis
Vermin Supreme

acropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better place
Quote:
Originally posted by queball
No, because you know they are all integers 1-26 and that they are all different. That's only a finite space.
26! (exclamation mark not used as punctuation here)

good point! (exclamation mark used as punctuation here)

L = 18,20, or 24...

P = 2

Last edited by acropolis; 12 Sep 2003 at 20:02.
Unread 12 Sep 2003, 19:42   #6
Muslim
Banned

Muslim is an unknown quantity at this point
i do law, i know nothing about numbers,
i used to, nut now i dont.... its sad when you realize you keep getting stupider with each year that goes by /o\
Muslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Sep 2003, 19:43   #7
Ragnarak

Ragnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to behold
seen this (or something virtually the same) on here before, think quite a few ppl managed to get it done
Are the best i've ever had
Ragnarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Sep 2003, 20:28   #8
Anu
Kontrč*******

Anu is infamous around these parts
sounds like fun
Anu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Sep 2003, 23:23   #9
W
Gubbish

W is a jewel in the roughW is a jewel in the roughW is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally posted by acropolis
26! (exclamation mark not used as punctuation here)

good point! (exclamation mark used as punctuation here)

L = 18,20, or 24...

P = 2
I tried to let my comp search for a solution with p=3 and l=18 (and other derived limits), but it's still too big a space, couldn't disprove it by exhaustion. Prove that p=2!

[Edit] My current proven matrix, add to it if you got some more:
Code:
n |abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz
--+--------------------------
1 |xxxxx  xxx xx xxx xxx   xx
2 | x xx   x  x  x x xx     x
3 |  xxx   x  x  x   xx     x
4 |   xx   x  x  xx  xx     x
5 |   xx   x  x  xx  xx     x
6 |     x  x  x   x   x     x
7 |   x  x x  x  xx          
8 |       xx  x   x          
9 |        x  x   x          
10|        xx x   x          
11|   x    x xx  xx x        
12|        x xx   x x        
13|  xx  xxxxxxx xx x        
14|  x   xx xx xx x x     xxx
15|  x   xxxxxxx xx x     xxx
16|  x   xx xx x  x x     xxx
17|  xx  xxxxxxx xxxx     xxx
18|  x   xx xx x  x x     xxx
19|  xx  xxxxxxx xx xx    xxx
20|  x   xx xx x  x x x   xxx
21|  x   xxxxxxx  x x  x  xxx
22|  x   xx xx x  x x   x xxx
23|  xx  xxxxxxx xx x    xxxx
24|  x   xx xx x  x x     xxx
25|  x   xxxxxxx  x x     xxx
26|x x   xx xx xx x x x xxxxx
   abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz
Unread 12 Sep 2003, 23:45   #10
queball
Ball

queball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so little
I=T+T so I<=26 => T<=13
Code:
n |abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz
1 |xxxxx  xxx xx xxx xxx   xx
2 | x xx   x  x  x x xx     x
3 |  xxx   x  x  x   xx     x
4 |   xx   x  x  xx  xx     x
5 |   xx   x  x  xx  xx     x
6 |     x  x  x   x   x     x
7 |   x  x x  x  xx
8 |       xx  x   x
9 |        x  x   x
10|        xx x   x
11|   x    x xx  xx x
12|      xxx xxx  x x
13|  xx  xxxxxxx xx x
14|  x   xx xx xx x x x   xxx
15|  x   xxxxxxx xx x x   xxx
16|  x   xx xx x  x x x   xxx
17|  xx  xxxxxxx xxxx x   xxx
18|  x   xx xx x  x x x   xxx
19|  xx  xxxxxxx xx xxx   xxx
20|  x   xx xx x  x x x   xxx
21|  x   xxxxxxx  x x xx  xxx
22|  x   xx xx x  x x x x xxx
23|  xx  xxxxxxx xx x x  xxxx
24|  x   xx xx x  x x x   xxx
25|  x   xxxxxxx  x x x   xxx
26|x x   xx xx xx x x x xxxxx
   abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz
edit: drew this wrong

Last edited by queball; 13 Sep 2003 at 00:40.
queball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Sep 2003, 23:51   #11
Anu
Kontrč*******

:(
Found 16 letters manually. Should be done soon, hopefully
Unread 12 Sep 2003, 23:52   #12
queball
Ball

And like acropolis said, L must be able to be factorised two ways. So 12, 18, 20, 24 are ok, but if L=12 then C,H,P,Z are 2,3,4,6 in some permutation, and Z-P=R+K which is impossible.

edit: Z-P not P-Z, not that it's important

Last edited by queball; 13 Sep 2003 at 00:24.
queball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Sep 2003, 23:54   #13
Bloomers III
Cute and cuddly

Bloomers III has a spectacular aura aboutBloomers III has a spectacular aura aboutBloomers III has a spectacular aura about
but what does it all mean basil?
Unread 13 Sep 2003, 00:00   #14
W
Gubbish

W is a jewel in the roughW is a jewel in the roughW is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally posted by queball
T<=13
Forgot to add that one, thx.
Quote:
Originally posted by Anu
:(
Found 16 letters manually. Should be done soon, hopefully
You know, I have this equation, a+b=c+d, where all the numbers are positive integers. I know a=2, b=3 and c=8, but I haven't been able to find d yett. Only a matter of time tho!
Unread 13 Sep 2003, 00:05   #15
Anu
Kontrč*******

P=2 L=20 K=7 R=1 H=5 C=4 Z=10 T=11 I=22 W=21 M=6 Y=5 O=12 J=3 D=18 G=8

or

P=2 L=24 K=9 R=1 H=6 C=4 Z=12 T=13 I=26 W=25 M=7 Y=5 O=20 J=3 D=21 G=10

Is what i've found. the rest should be 'easy'. But I'm getting rather tired

edit: Fixed typos

Last edited by Anu; 13 Sep 2003 at 00:57.
Unread 13 Sep 2003, 00:36   #16
Anu
Kontrč*******

the second one is the right one.

Last letters:

A=18 S=23 V=11 B=15 X=3 E=17 F=8 Q=14 U=22 N=16
Unread 13 Sep 2003, 00:51   #17
queball
Ball

How many 3's do you need?
Unread 13 Sep 2003, 00:55   #18
Anu
Kontrč*******

the last one is correct as stated

but for you, i'll edit the first one, which was originally wrong

edit: fk.
Unread 13 Sep 2003, 00:58   #19
Ragnarak

Ragnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally posted by Anu
the last one is correct as stated

but for you, i'll edit the first one, which was originally wrong
j=3 and x=3?
Are the best i've ever had
Ragnarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Sep 2003, 01:19   #20
Anu
Kontrč*******

A=18 B=16 C=4 D=21 E=14 F=17 G=10 H=6 I=26 J=3 K=9 L=24 M=7 N=15 O=20 P=2 Q=22 R=1 S=23 T=13 U=19 V=11 W=25 X=8 Y=5 Z=12

Hopefully right this time :(
Unread 13 Sep 2003, 01:41   #21
queball
Ball

Unread 13 Sep 2003, 10:25   #22
Ste
Bored

Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
damnit so it is possible.

*sigh* I'll just have to get a bigger sheet of paper.
don't have my calculations with me at the moment but will have another go when I'm home and bored tonight.

How long did it take you?
Ste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Sep 2003, 11:57   #23
Anu
Kontrč*******

About 3 hours efficiently.

Hint: start with these formulas;

Z*P = L
P+R+K = Z

L/H = C
C+K = T and the fact that T = {9,10,11,12,13}
Unread 13 Sep 2003, 12:20   #24
acropolis
Vermin Supreme

Quote:
Originally posted by Anu
About 3 hours efficiently.

Hint: start with these formulas;

Z*P = L
P+R+K = Z

L/H = C
C+K = T and the fact that T = {9,10,11,12,13}
that was the corner i started working on.

i got pissy after a while because too many of the variables only showed up in one equation, so there was nothing to do but guess and check.
Quote:
Originally posted by Anu
A=18 B=16 C=4 D=21 E=14 F=17 G=10 H=6 I=26 J=3 K=9 L=24 M=7 N=15 O=20 P=2 Q=22 R=1 S=23 T=13 U=19 V=11 W=25 X=8 Y=5 Z=12

Hopefully right this time :(
fking wait a second that's basically what i had when i thought i hit a contradiction! i'm gonna be pissed if it turns i just did stupid...
Unread 13 Sep 2003, 12:51   #25
Anu
Kontrč*******

C*Y=O helps you elminate quite a few possibilities
Unread 13 Sep 2003, 14:11   #26
acropolis
Vermin Supreme

****! I'm now looking back at my notes from yesterday.

I had
c = 4
d = 21
g = 10
h = 6
i = 26
j = 3
k = 9
l = 24
m = 7
o = 20
p = 2
r = 1
t = 13
w = 25
y = 5
z = 12

and then i solved (10) to
13 - V = 20 - A
which on the next line of my notes became
A - V = 13.

You should be unsurprised that I soon found a contradiction, and didn't feel like starting over.

I declare myself "Official GD Idiot" for to-day