User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 1 Jul 2004, 13:18   #1
Helix

Helix will become famous soon enoughHelix will become famous soon enough
Score/XP still whack

It seems obvious that the problems with score and the possibilities for abuse have not been solved since beta, only made less apparent. We now have this planet

2 3 15:1:5 Thorns Desolation 250 997.324

In the top 10. A planet that small does not deserve to be up there imo, please try to fix the XP formula
Helix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Jul 2004, 13:48   #2
Synthetic_Sid

Synthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet society
Re: Score/XP still whack

I think the intention was to fix the formula after the public beta - but judging by the way shipstat changes were only done very last minute I guess noone got around to it. So the #1 planet at end of the round will be whichever small planet can persuade the most big ones to let them be roided for a tick.
Unread 1 Jul 2004, 13:48   #3
xtothez
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

xtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud of

12,000XP points. Thats alotta scans/covops.
Unread 1 Jul 2004, 18:18   #4
Kejome

Kejome is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightbulb Re: Score/XP still whack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helix
It seems obvious that the problems with score and the possibilities for abuse have not been solved since beta, only made less apparent. We now have this planet

2 3 15:1:5 Thorns Desolation 250 997.324

In the top 10. A planet that small does not deserve to be up there imo, please try to fix the XP formula
That dude is roided 8 times already , all he does is retalling and attacking by himself without buddies nor alliance.

Give the dude a break he is fighting for every penny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthetic_Sid
I think the intention was to fix the formula after the public beta - but judging by the way shipstat changes were only done very last minute I guess noone got around to it. So the #1 planet at end of the round will be whichever small planet can persuade the most big ones to let them be roided for a tick.
That would be considered farming and both planets should be deleted .

Both XP and shipsstats are totally crap , i wonder who made those stats .

We need the old PA back.

Kejome

Last edited by Kejome; 1 Jul 2004 at 18:45.
Kejome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Jul 2004, 18:53   #5
furssie
Spastic Drivel!

furssie can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kejome
That dude is roided 8 times already , all he does is retalling and attacking by himself without buddies nor alliance.

Give the dude a break he is fighting for every penny

Kejome

My wild guess is - the dude is you.
Unread 1 Jul 2004, 19:07   #6
Kejome

Quote:
Originally Posted by furssie
My wild guess is - the dude is you.
you might be right
Unread 1 Jul 2004, 19:33   #7
jerome

jerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so little

xp is the suck.
jerome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Jul 2004, 22:15   #8
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

Quote:
formula for XP is changed and is limited

ship stats would ahve been changed sooner if u had rpelied to spinners emails

Round 6-10 NoS member-->NoS junior HC
Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Check out toastmonster.com for crazy illustrations and art
Kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Jul 2004, 22:46   #9
Nadar
I see you!

Nadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
That would be considered farming and both planets should be deleted .
Earlier we had asteroid farming, now we have XP farming
Unread 2 Jul 2004, 07:00   #10
jerome

jerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so little

we saw this in beta, not much has been done to change that,, eh? :/
Unread 2 Jul 2004, 07:32   #11
Kejome

Lightbulb Re: Score/XP still whack

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ryzekiel_
we saw this in beta, not much has been done to change that,, eh? :/
FYI it has been changed .
Unread 3 Jul 2004, 09:17   #12
Synthetic_Sid

Synthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal
formula for XP is changed and is limited

ship stats would ahve been changed sooner if u had rpelied to spinners emails
As I never received any emails from Spinner, it was kind of hard for me to reply to them.
Unread 3 Jul 2004, 12:12   #13
mist
Jolt's best friend

mist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to all

does XP actually make people attack larger targets? or is yogi's cunning plan it's sole contribution to the game?

-mist
mist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jul 2004, 12:13   #14
jerome

Quote:
FYI it has been changed .
The very same effect is still in place though. XP farming is very profitable like in beta.
Unread 3 Jul 2004, 16:45   #15
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

Quote:
The very same effect is still in place though. XP farming is very profitable like in beta.
u know from experiance eh?

not targetted 1up yet, maybe its time to.

The XP forumla is limited so it is not worth attacking someone more than twice your value.

Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Unread 3 Jul 2004, 19:20   #16
jerome

In a way, yes I know from experience, I've attacked plenty of planets, mostly who are same size as me, but with a lack of anti- etc etc which I have as a pod class. It gives lots of roids +xp

Thing is, even if I was xpfarming (note the 'if' before the remarks), there'd be no solid way for you to catch me. There are lots of attacks going on from planets in various ranks attacking other planets of nearby score whom have a weakness in a certain area fleet-wise etc. If you try to catch people on basis both planets gained score, as one retalled right after the other, retalling is also highly common this round. I know I've been on the dealing end of a retal heh.

PS. Yes, I XPfarmed in beta, I also said i was doing so in #beta and pretty sure posted about it, as a problem regarding how it wasn't covered in the EULA etc.
Unread 3 Jul 2004, 20:20   #17
Blacknova
Zhil's Monkeyboy

Blacknova is an unknown quantity at this point

Can't we just go back to the good old days and use value as the primary assessment for rankings, etc?

Life was oh so much simpler back in those days.

Nova
Unread 4 Jul 2004, 01:05   #18
The_Fish
ND

The_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to all

but then, people roiding noobs, like myself, would be ranked higher than the skilled people who attack t50 players and roid them. I like XP, even if my rank doesnt
Unread 4 Jul 2004, 01:11   #19
Kal
Inactive peon

Quote:
In a way, yes I know from experience, I've attacked plenty of planets, mostly who are same size as me, but with a lack of anti- etc etc which I have as a pod class. It gives lots of roids +xp

Thing is, even if I was xpfarming (note the 'if' before the remarks), there'd be no solid way for you to catch me. There are lots of attacks going on from planets in various ranks attacking other planets of nearby score whom have a weakness in a certain area fleet-wise etc. If you try to catch people on basis both planets gained score, as one retalled right after the other, retalling is also highly common this round. I know I've been on the dealing end of a retal heh.

PS. Yes, I XPfarmed in beta, I also said i was doing so in #beta and pretty sure posted about it, as a problem regarding how it wasn't covered in the EULA etc.
if u hit someone the same size as u u don;t get lots of XP, just more then if u hit someone smaller. the people with a big difference between score and value are the people playing well and doing a good job, its posisble the weighting factor is a bit big, but it would be unafir to shcnage something like that mid round.

But all in all i say thoose who hit people bigger than them and land etc are thoose doing a good job.

Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Unread 4 Jul 2004, 01:16   #20
The_Fish
ND

The_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal
if u hit someone the same size as u u don;t get lots of XP, just more then if u hit someone smaller. the people with a big difference between score and value are the people playing well and doing a good job, its posisble the weighting factor is a bit big, but it would be unafir to shcnage something like that mid round.

But all in all i say thoose who hit people bigger than them and land etc are thoose doing a good job.
but the downside of this, is small people hit big people, and get lucky, and they are now miles ahead of people who play sensibly, and attack targets they will be able to normally roid.

It's not an easy situation.
Unread 4 Jul 2004, 02:14   #21
Sinn

Sinn is an unknown quantity at this point

I tend to agree with the value = ranking proposal. Higher value end-round generally means you roided more and bigger targets and as such, will reflect your skill and activity. XP adds little to the game imo.

The cumstain on the sheets of humanity
Sinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Jul 2004, 04:26   #22
Linkie
fanboy

Linkie is a splendid one to beholdLinkie is a splendid one to beholdLinkie is a splendid one to beholdLinkie is a splendid one to beholdLinkie is a splendid one to beholdLinkie is a splendid one to behold

Some people could attack more people around the size as themselves, just never get through due to def.
Like me.

FOUNDER OF THE OFFICIAL ASCENDANCY LADY GAGA FAN CLUB

ASCENDANCY DEMOLITION MAN
Linkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Jul 2004, 12:29   #23
Jonas
Most unimportant guy...

Jonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond repute

I have 400k Value and 1million Score. WTF? I lost 2800 CO and 300 DE and I hardly lost any score at all...WTF? I feel so much better than the ones bloew me in the ranks with the doubled value of me. WTF?

XP is teh lame. Final.

-Jonas-

Retired
Jonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Jul 2004, 13:48   #24
Synthetic_Sid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal
Any you'll still be saying that when it gets hugely exploited at end of round - and scan planets get tons of exp for taking roids off the big members of their own alliance (i mean *actual* alliance, not ingame alliance)?

And it's not that hard for a big player to escort a small one to a target with a dummy fleet set on fake-attack. Doing a good job - maybe. But score in no way reflects ability - or consistency of play. Last round's system seemed fine. Even a system based on value of attacking fleet compared to value of target's own fleet would be better.
Unread 10 Jul 2004, 14:11   #25
mist
Jolt's best friend

mist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal
its posisble the weighting factor is a bit big, but it would be unafir to shcnage something like that mid round.
in the same way that it would be unfair to change the XP for scans mid round? oh... wait...

XP is, has and always will be a mechanism for spinner to reward those who play the game how he thinks it should be played. given this, i don't really see the point in debating it, as it's not going to change significantly

-mist
mist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Aug 2004, 16:54   #26
Envious
Ambiguous Anachronism

Envious has a spectacular aura aboutEnvious has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal
The XP forumla is limited so it is not worth attacking someone more than twice your value.
Quote:
Any you'll still be saying that when it gets hugely exploited at end of round - and scan planets get tons of exp for taking roids off the big members of their own alliance (i mean *actual* alliance, not ingame alliance)?
Where's the point?
Envious is offline   Reply With Quote