User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 9 Aug 2007, 14:34   #51
jerome

jerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so little
Re: Oh. My. God.

1. torrent sites have a better coverage than limewire or any other such program easily, and there's only a handful you need to be on which cover pretty much most games, music, movies et cetera
2. true
3. yeah laziness does rule
4. you can set how much bandwidth torrents can use with most bit torrent clients you know (in utorrent, azureus and bit lord at least iirc)
jerome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Aug 2007, 14:36   #52
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomkat
4. In my personal experience, when I download torrents, it uses up nearly all of my bandwidth and slows everything else down
That's a problem with the end user.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Aug 2007, 14:37   #53
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
2. You can just search quickly and easily for single songs or whatever, instead of searching for an album and checking the song is on that album.
3. Some people can't be bothered to go through the rigmarole of finding a torrent, saving the torrent, opening the torrent in utorrent or whatever they use, then waiting for it to complete.
fair points.. but for the love of god still don't use limewire, if your after songs soulseek is a nice alternative.

Quote:
4. In my personal experience, when I download torrents, it uses up nearly all of my bandwidth and slows everything else down (which is nice if something is downloading quickly, but does mean I can't play games or whatnot). Limewire doesn't do that, as it's kind of slow.
Any decent torrent client, including the mentioned utorrent allow you to limit up/down bitrates so you wont have that problem.
Unread 9 Aug 2007, 14:38   #54
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
1. You don't need to trawl through the torrent sites for whatever it is you want.
Most of the popular downloads are listed on every decent torrent site. Alternatively use somewhere like www.torrentz.com which searches multiple sites, or go for my own personal favourite which is to google "[name of thing I want to download] torrent" which works pretty much every time.

Quote:
2. You can just search quickly and easily for single songs or whatever, instead of searching for an album and checking the song is on that album.
With uTorrent you can choose to download only a single file from a group of files in a torrent - e.g. downloading one single from an album. If I don't know the album then it's easy just to check the band's discography on Wikipedia.

Quote:
3. Some people can't be bothered to go through the rigmarole of finding a torrent, saving the torrent, opening the torrent in utorrent or whatever they use, then waiting for it to complete.
I never save a .torrent file unless it was particularly hard to find - I just open it as a temporary file and Windows automatically loads it into uTorrent.

Quote:
4. In my personal experience, when I download torrents, it uses up nearly all of my bandwidth and slows everything else down (which is nice if something is downloading quickly, but does mean I can't play games or whatnot). Limewire doesn't do that, as it's kind of slow.
Any decent torrent program (uTorrent, for example) will allow you to control the maximum upload and download speeds, e.g. to 150kb/s down and 10kb/s up on a 2mbit connection.

Quote:
Having made those points though, I still prefer torrents over Limewire. I was just demonstrating that you're wrong

I still consider torrents superior - and even better, no adware, spyware or viruses.
Unread 9 Aug 2007, 15:21   #55
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Bit Che. Google it.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Aug 2007, 17:19   #56
Androme
☆ ♥ 

Androme can only hope to improve

To any government official or BFI agent reading this post, you are allowed to view my post on the basis that I am entitled to free speech and no copyright laws have actually been broken.

Anyway, I am signed up to every top torrent site that exists aside from 3 that I would love my hands on - HDBits, Bit-HDTV and oink. What I am signed up to does not have what I am after in terms of music which is the only thing wrong with torrent sites (yes, oink is supposed to be the mother of sites w/e) but it's so easy to just download a song through limewire as opposed to having to do a few clicks just to get one bloody song.

I will now check out these alternatives though thanks.

Btw, I'm suprised no-one around here uses Usenet. I have a Giganews account and does the jobby for me.
R3: LegioN (came #32) || R4: BlueTuba
R5: WolfPack Order || R6: Wolfpack
R7: Fury
----------retired-------
R52-R55: Apprime
R56-R57: FaceLess
R58-60: Apprime/Ultores
Androme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Aug 2007, 17:33   #57
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
Originally Posted by Androme2
To any government official or BFI agent reading this post, you are allowed to view my post on the basis that I am entitled to free speech and no copyright laws have actually been broken.
and if its just an automated system that flags you for investigation?
Unread 9 Aug 2007, 17:36   #58
All Systems Go

All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Well we'll just have to find him an attic to hide in. Maybe he could use the time to write a diary of the experiance.
The 20th century has been characterised by three developments of great political importance. The growth of democracy; the growth of corporate power; and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.
All Systems Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Aug 2007, 20:09   #59
Androme
☆ ♥ 

Androme can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Systems Go
Well we'll just have to find him an attic to hide in. Maybe he could use the time to write a diary of the experiance.
I'd prefer a wine cellar.
R3: LegioN (came #32) || R4: BlueTuba
R5: WolfPack Order || R6: Wolfpack
R7: Fury
----------retired-------
R52-R55: Apprime
R56-R57: FaceLess
R58-60: Apprime/Ultores
Androme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Aug 2007, 02:38   #60
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
Originally Posted by Androme2
The reason why is because MS want you to use the address-bar to go to parent folder but this is long and unnecessary. No-one has figured out a way how to modify the lil arrow to go up a folder yet or modify the toolbar so a button for up can be done. I'm also suprised they never included a new folder shortcut!
If you dont like the address bar feature - seems you can disable it now if you want to via this : http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windo...windows-vista/
Unread 10 Aug 2007, 03:05   #61
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil^
If you dont like the address bar feature - seems you can disable it now if you want to via this : http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windo...windows-vista/
you do realise 'clicking on the address bar' takes care of that anyway, right?
How the Beaujolais is raining
Down on darkened meetings on the Champs Élysées
Phang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Aug 2007, 03:11   #62
Phil^
Insomniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phang
you do realise 'clicking on the address bar' takes care of that anyway, right?
Yes. The thing i linked to disables the clicking on the address bar part and returns it to the old style functionality - its not a fix for the lack of an up arrow for previous directory
Unread 10 Aug 2007, 03:45   #63
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

you misunderstand me. Clicking on blank space in the address bar brings up the old functionality anyway
How the Beaujolais is raining
Down on darkened meetings on the Champs Élysées
Phang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Aug 2007, 04:02   #64
Phil^
Insomniac

I wasnt aware of that myself, since i dont use vista. Still its one less step if you like the old ways better - and since the author of that tool seems very efficient (coded within hours of a request) and that an up arrow was requested on it - chances are it will appear in a later version
Unread 10 Aug 2007, 04:49   #65
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute

Generally I'd rate the author as a retard, but alas he's saved by rule #1 - True programmers always re-invent the wheel. :P