User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions

Unread 6 Aug 2007, 18:42   #1
DarkHeart

DarkHeart is just really niceDarkHeart is just really niceDarkHeart is just really niceDarkHeart is just really niceDarkHeart is just really nice
Secondary Ship Functions

Just to add an extra dimension, and give those lazy dc's I hear so much about an extra headache, it might be interesting to have a secondary function for each ship.

Basic Premise

Terran -

Kill / Steal (as secondary)

Cath -

Primary freezer's kill (as secondary)
Primary killer's freeze (as secondary)

Xan -

Cloaked / Non cloaked (as secondary)

Zik -

Primary stealer's kill as secondary
Primary killer's steal as secondary

Etd

As above relevant to ship type.

Pods

Primary - Roids
Secondary - Resources

for example

The current Thief ship, it kills fighters. With a secondary function it could steal fighters.

How this would work....

New Research - Ship Modification (as final research in the hulls branch) Cost: 15000 research points

Provides access to advanced multi weaponry design

New Research Branch - Advanced Multi Weaponry Design Schematics

New Research - Light Duty Multi Weaponry Schematics, Cost:4000 research points

Provides schematics for modification of Figher and Corvette class ships. Enables construction of Light Weapons Engineering Bay

New Research - Medium Duty Multi Weaponry Schematics, Cost: 8000 research points

Provides schematics for modification of Frigate and Destroyer class ships. Enables construction of Medium Weapons Engineering Bay

New Research - Heavy Duty Multi Weaponry Schematics, Cost: 12000 research points

Provides schematics for modification of Cruiser and Battleship class ships. Enables construction of Heavy Weapons Engineering Bay

New Building Type - Light Weapons Engineering Bay

Allows you to modify your Fighters and Corvettes to either Mk I (primary function) or Mk II (secondary function)

New Building Type - Medium Weapons Engineering Bay

Allows you to modify your Frigates and Destroyers to either Mk I (primary function) or Mk II (secondary function)

New Building Type - Heavy Weapons Engineering Bay

Allows you to modify your Cruisers and Battleships to either Mk I (primary function) or Mk II (secondary function)

The principle of it

You would not be allowed to build MkII ships. You would have to build MkI ships, then put your produced ships through the relevant engineering bay, which would take X amount of ticks (based on current standard production formula) before the MkII ships were available to use.

There would be no limits to engineering. You could reverse engineer, and change MkII ships back into MkI ships.

Engineering your ships into MkII would cost half of what the total production costs of those ships was (as additional to the inital production costs). You would also have to pay these costs AGAIN if reverse engineering back into MkI

There would also need to be the following research

(At end of Waves research Branch)

New Research - Fleet Engineering Analysis Scan, Cost 12000 research points (would work just as current fleet analysis, but would show ships as MkI or Mk2)

What I'm vaguely aware of but haven't really given much thought to -

Should the stats of a MKII ship be as powerful as its MKI stats?

In the case of Xan, you would have to make the MkII stats better, to negate the loss of cloak

Last edited by DarkHeart; 6 Aug 2007 at 18:57.
DarkHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Aug 2007, 18:46   #2
DarkHeart

DarkHeart is just really niceDarkHeart is just really niceDarkHeart is just really niceDarkHeart is just really niceDarkHeart is just really nice
Re: Secondary Ship Functions

k, done editing (for the now ) plz feel free to input / laugh / flame / applaud as you see fit

Last edited by DarkHeart; 6 Aug 2007 at 18:55.
Unread 6 Aug 2007, 19:39   #3
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkHeart
Just to add an extra dimension, and give those lazy dc's I hear so much about an extra headache, it might be interesting to have a secondary function for each ship.
Lazy DCs? I can assure you that no such thing exists.

Seriously, what would this bring to the game other than an extra headache for everyone involved?
Unread 6 Aug 2007, 20:46   #4
Monroe
Planetarion Forum Moderator

Monroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud of

Impressively thought out suggestion but I really think this would be really impractical with the current combat engine. If the combat engine was rewritten it might allow for such a system, but until then I'm afraid this idea will never get off the drawing board.

#strategy
Monroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Aug 2007, 22:07   #5
DarkHeart

it would be an extra headache, or an interesting diversification on what you can do with your fleet.

Depends on your perspective of what you derive enjoyment from i suppose furball. Couple of us were speaking on IRC the other day, and we agreed the best part of the game can often be when you wake up to huge amounts of red incoming

Monroe - I'm ignorant of the game engine and it's limitations, I'd assumed there would not be a problem there.... if this suggestion was took up and encoded into the game, all you would be doing is the following:-

create 11 additional ships for each race. Keep the current ship names the same, but change to MkI and MkII

Combat engine would surely work the same, as all you will be doing is changing the function of the ship (ships will not be multi targeting, only the effect of the ship will change...kill / steal / freeze / cloak etc

For Example

(ignore the m c e costs, that WOULD differ, as you wouldn't be able to build them outright, additional costs would be halved putting them through the relevant engineering bay)

The resource pod would obviously need extra code, but certainly this seems to be a popular suggestion :/ (and maybe if the sk's had a secondary function)

As to DC's....I'm pretty sure the current calc out there like thruds could easily adapt to the new MkII ships (as with the combat engine, all it entails is tweaking the current coding with different stats / function), maybe the last part of the idea (the new scan) should be two fold, a fleet analysis engineering scan, and a engineering aua scan.....though finding people with the ships to counter them would maybe be harder to come by I will concede that.

At the end of the day, I play Zik, and play Zik whenever I come back to this game. I seriously cannot see how any1 takes enjoyment from any other race apart from maybe Etd. I think I'd be bored silly say as a terran...build bs launch build more bs launch rinse repeat etc. Diversification and experimentation is key to maintaining interest no?

and no I am not / have not been to a marriage counsellor

Last edited by DarkHeart; 6 Aug 2007 at 22:42.
Unread 7 Aug 2007, 00:40   #6
Makhil

Makhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to behold

Xan : cloaked/not cloaked... wow they'll be happy with that "improvement"
Unread 7 Aug 2007, 02:48   #7
DarkHeart

constructive reply makhil, truly displaying why you won the race.

As stated at the end of my initial post, Xan might benefit from improved stats from sending non cloaked MkII vessels, to negate the loss of cloak (stands to reason, less power is used as there is no cloaking device, so more power can be diverted to guns... armour (structural integrity)...w/e). Or of course, there may be a better secondary function for a Xan ship than non cloaked, perhaps you could exercise your grey matter and suggest one makhil? As i alluded too at the end of my initial post :P
Unread 7 Aug 2007, 04:45   #8
Makhil

Makhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to behold

Why the need to make it personnal ? Your idea does not look good enough from a Xan point of view, that's all I'm saying. Did I hurt your ego ? Sorry.
Anyway i feel that when an idea needs so many words to be explained, it is not a good one... I may be wrong.
Unread 7 Aug 2007, 09:29   #9
DarkHeart

Not all ideas are as simple as 1+1=2 makhill, and I've found over the years when making a suggestion to a game, it's best to explain yourself in as much detail as possible, leaving little room for people to misconstrue your ideas, and your thoughts.

For example...I posted all of that and you, having read it all could only come up with a sarcastic response regarding the change to Xan.

Whilst part of my goal was achieved with the length of the initial post (ie to minimilise the inevitable mis-interpretations by fellow forum users) and the idea as a whole (I feel) has been well represented, I would hope for comments aimed particularly at whether the idea is sound or not. If you feel it is not I would expect and demand of you an explanation as to why you feel it is not, what areas you feel let the idea down, and how you feel those areas could be modified to make the idea better.

Your thought process should not be so linear as - Big post --> Dont like 1 thing --> Sarcasm (though I understand your reasoning and motive behind this, let's not kid ourselves, to be considered cool over the internet you have to have super 1337 sarcastic prowess over your peers! but lets be realistic, if you are unwilling to change your thought process, maybe the suggestions board isn't for you)

My bad that I replied on a personnel level, but I hope the above has explained to you why your highly constructive sarcasm provoked a negative response from me (who woulda thunk it!)

Now thats cleared up, please feel free to suggest how you think the Xan function could be improved, as stated I'm Zik, i play Zik and love Zik, I know nothing of playing as a Xan planet, so I would welcome feedback from your perspective.

This idea is based on the one feeling I suspect we all share regardless of which race we play, there are countless time through a round where I think..damn I wish my fleet could do this or that differently...at least as a Zik I get to act on those thoughts

(and p.s no nowt to do with my ego, just my expectations of others who use the suggestions board)
Unread 7 Aug 2007, 10:37   #10
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makhil
Why the need to make it personnal ? Your idea does not look good enough from a Xan point of view, that's all I'm saying. Did I hurt your ego ? Sorry.
It certainly could work well from a faking point of view.
Unread 7 Aug 2007, 10:52   #11
Makhil

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkHeart
k, done editing (for the now ) plz feel free to input / laugh / flame / applaud as you see fit
Is that not what i have done ?
But i confess i have trouble being interested in reading long posts, your last message didn't help.
Unread 7 Aug 2007, 11:57   #12
DarkHeart

i never said I wouldn't tear you a new one if you laughed / flamed

seriously, I would like a Xan perspective on what they would like to see as a secondary function for their shippies, out of all the races they are the most difficult to balance (relative to this suggestion)

yes furball, thats what I was thinking for Xan, as well as if they had more powerful non cloaked MkII ships, they might be able to punch through a bit better.

Maybe a better secondary function (and more relative to the Xan theme) for Xan would be Disruptor Hulls, where ships would show up on scan but only with a say 50% accuaracy (and they would be more powerful than MkI ships)
Unread 7 Aug 2007, 15:57   #13
Monroe
Planetarion Forum Moderator

Monroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud of

Another option for MrkII for Xan would be to make them uncloaked but more powerful. So lets say you take the energy that they spent on cloaking and put it into guns or something. So while they wouldn't be cloaked anymore firepower would get a 5-10% boost or something.

#strategy
Monroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Aug 2007, 16:02   #14
DarkHeart

thas what I had down for the MkII Xan ship allready

Might need mroe than a 5-10% boost to negate loss of cloak though....cloak is a huge advantage for defending