Thread: Fort Gals
View Single Post
Unread 3 Jan 2010, 13:17   #36
komodododo

komodododo will become famous soon enoughkomodododo will become famous soon enough
Re: Fort Gals

Just wanted to add my 2c here.

R34 was my second round in PA. I was actiive (pretty much 24/7ing), on IRC, had an alliance and was picking up the game very quickly. I exiled into an extremely active gal - full of guys who were obviously experienced and friends with each other. I wasn't the weakest planet in the gal - so I thought, shit, if I keep my score up and keep active they'll accept me.

Wrong. Despite ticking all the boxes (imvho) for being someone who would be useful to have in a gal, I got booted to make way for some of their friends who they were hoping would exile in. I ended up in an inactive gal and quit playing - although starting a new job did have something to do with that. But my main thought was: what's the point when the game is divided into fort gals full of excellent players that only want their friends ingal and weak gals full of other newbs/inactives?

I see you guys talking about the problem with getting new players into PA.

Here are the biggest issues that I encountered, being a new PA player:

- horribly outdated wiki (after this website, it's your first source of info)
- if you don't have an alliance, you feel absolutely powerless (you have no intel as to what planets/gals are legit targets and which will have def and counter attack you - attacking is a real stab in the dark)
- lack of community spirit in many 'normal' gal forums due to the concentration of good players/alliances into these fort gals
- the demanding nature of the game.

My perception of the game, as a newbie, was that the game was a lot more fun in an alliance than without one. Now I know that there are a lot of experienced players who play without an alliance - but, imho, for a newbie the game can be a very cold and lonely experience.

Benefits of being in an alliance: You get a lot of advice from other players, you have a sense of community (polar opposite of being a lone allianceless planet in a galaxy that is ruled by big alliances) and you see that your actions can make a huge difference. Sending def/attacking becomes fun.

Would it be possible to, after a certain point in the game, force any non-allied players into special alliances run (voluntarily) by some experienced players? It'd give newbies, who don't necessarily browse these forums and see the recruitment threads, a glimpse of the more fun (imho) and engaging aspect of the game. It'd make the 'farming' of inactive planets/gals less of an issue. It'd encourage newbies to play for more than a round - 'I wonder how a REAL alliance runs things?'. It'd help create more alliances. Y'ask me, all these things would enrich the game in both the short and long term.

Sorry for going OT
komodododo is offline   Reply With Quote